A good read - Crankshaft magazine #3

Walt G

As many of you may be aware I am an active storyteller ( author) and researcher. When Richard Lentinello started up his own publication last year I was proud to be a part of it. Issue #3 of Crankshaft magazine is now arriving in the mail and can be purchased. The latest issue shows Richard's on going strong support for AACA. The back cover was given to AACA to advertise the club's existence ! color photo and all, with every bit of information on how to get in contact with the club ( from address, e mail , phone number etc) . Richard is a strong supporter of AACA as am I . If you get a copy plan to spend some time ! looking at it , like the first two issues it is 144 pages long! And yeah there are some great period photographs in there as well as current images.

Crankshaft 03 cover.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to it's arrival- hopefully today as it's cold in SC, we actually have some white stuff that fell from the sky and is laying on our deck.  Gracie was barking at it as it fell. Then she went out and rolled in it when she finally remembered what it was- SNOW !  Fun to run around and roll in. 

dave s  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

And yeah there are some great period photographs in there as well as current images.

I really enjoyed the first two copies Walt....can't wait for this one to arrive !

By the way, the art work on the covers are spectacular !

Steve

• Like 1

The 3rd quarterly issue has just recently been mailed out. Due to the move to TN the issue is late so if you got the first two the third is on it’s way. Be patient as the USPS is called snail mail for a reason. 
dave s 

• Thanks 1

I subscribed a few weeks ago and also ordered issues 1 and 2.  I am excited to settle in and slowly get aquatinted with this new publication. Thanks to all here for the visibility and a special thanks to you Walt for your important contributions. I hope Richard is encouraged and feels support from the AACA group of characters. 

• Thanks 1

Hey Walt, this is on the DBC and thought you may enjoy it based on the Budd article you wrote. 
Nice job btw.. enjoyed it very much.

I'd love a follow-up article on what it took to make some of the behemoth presses (even the installment process would be worthy imo). 

A lot of folks aren't aware of the design processes that went on in the early days. Can't even imagine what it took to make a full panel van out of wood...

image.png.a85632a77bb586018725685ce0ea727b.png

Don thanks for letting us know that your issue arrived in Texas. It is good to know how far away from the mailing location things are arriving. Anyone on the west coast have their copy yet ? As Dave S. commented the USPS isn't called snail mail without reason.

Thanks for the compliment on my story on Styling models , there are just so many aspects on how cars went from the drawing board to body production before they were rolling around on a designated chassis.

• Like 1

I  would have then been asked to take subscriptions and if that was done then people quite understandably would have wanted to take the first two issues with them that is not my part of the involvement with the magazine, I am a contributor , and there is only so much space in the car to haul what one can.  I do not have a quantity of the issues . I did have cards there for people to take with them that explained about the magazine.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, 63RedBrier said:

I'm in Virginia and I still have not received my copy...

Go to the website and contact Richard  www.crankshaftmagazine.com

The magazine is being mailed from Tennessee so you should have received it if you had a subscription already. If you are a new subscriber who knows what the USPS is doing .

• Like 1

Patients is a virtue seldom found in women and never found in men. My wife keeps telling me that for some reason. We are in SC and haven’t received it yet. I’m sure the car guys in the local USPS will be finished reading it soon and get it delivered to me. I received the first two issues so I’m sure I am on the sub list. Despite my wife’s feelings I am calmly refraining from going POSTAL in anticipation. 
dave s 

• Thanks 1

Dave S. knows more about mailing publications and subsequent delays ( or on going delays??) then anyone here reading this.

SO the south west desert area in the USA has had their copy since Saturday as mentioned above - must be the mule train heading west must have a faster "mule power" ( as opposed to horse power) then other parts of the country as noted here who have not received it yet. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the complement Walt but not sure it is correct. I do know C19 has caused a major delay in postal operations due to the major problems with the airlines plus the usual pandemic problems. Most mail flew in open cargo space via air, no matter the class. If the plane had open space the USPS had cheap rates to fill it up. A win win for both parties and us. Now with the reduction of flights more “periodical rated postage” is being trucked to regional sorting centers. Some destinations have more flights than others therefore some magazines get to the region faster. The number of subs in an area also helps as multiple copies to an”SCF” ( first 3 of zip) or a zip get bundled and coded to skip additional sorting stations. The bar code on top your label actual puts the mail in order that the postman delivers the mail in many cases. Less postal people have to touch that type mail so it moves faster. Pieces that don’t have multiple copies move slower. The solution is simple, get all of your local car friends to subscribe and your magazines should arrive sooner. As a bonus if Richard sees more subs maybe it will encourage him to go to six times a year issues instead of four and still keep the quality high as it is now!  
dave s 

ps- most first class will go air, again if room, but weighted first class will be similar to periodical delivery conditions.

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

Was planning on getting in touch with Richard when I got home from work, but guess what was waiting for me on the dining room table?  Issue #3!

• Like 1

Still waiting for mine here in SE Va also.  I hear staffing is an issue.  Magazines unfortunately seem to be low priority too. 

Terry

Haven't received mine in NYC Suburbs. Spoke to Richard and he told me if it dosn't come in a day or two to let him know and he will send another. I wrote him again last night to update him that it still did not arrive. Waiting for an answer. The magazine is so good that I am getting impatient to receive it. Seems like from recent experience USPS is is not as good as they used to be. P.S. Listening to Richard and our own Tom Cox as I write this on their new Saturday morning radio show.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

Thanks everyone for letting us know that the magazine is arriving , I can understand the impatience to get something good to read and look at photos that are in the same publication .

It is why we all have gravitated to these wonderful forums as well, keeps the old cars that are in our blood alive not only in the pandemic but looking outside now here on long island at the 9 inches of snow that arrived overnight the old car stories keep our thoughts warm. Personally it is a way to keep focused on research and putting pen to paper.  That is if I can drag myself away from the forums...................

• Like 2