OIL STABILIZER

STEVE POLLARD

I've always use fuel stabilizer such as "STA-BIL" for all of my classic vehicles ( and small engines like the mower, snow thrower etc... for that matter ) but I never used an oil stabilizer. A friend / gear head co-worker mention the oil stabilizer to me, he suggested "Lucas".... I never used it before, but he said that for my vehicles that sit for weeks without start up, this would be perfect lubricate. 

It doesn't have to be Lucas, but what's your feelings on the oil stabilizer?

Steve

I have never used an oil stabilizer.  I have always changed the oil on my collector cars in the fall and spring.   During the winter, I start the engines and let them ideal for about 15 - 20 minutes every couple of weeks.  In the spring, before driving them again, I change the oil.   This system works for me with out the need to add stabilizer to the oil out here in no freezing weather Commifornia.   

I never used it until the last couple of years,my daily driver is a 1993 Chevy s10 pickup with the4.3 v6, at about 170000 miles it was using a quart of oil about every 1800 miles,I changed to Mobil one synthetic and the Lucas oil stabilizer now I get about2700 to 2800 miles to a quart,also use it in the automatic trans,  dave

2 hours ago, JustDave said:

I never used it until the last couple of years,my daily driver is a 1993 Chevy s10 pickup with the4.3 v6, at about 170000 miles it was using a quart of oil about every 1800 miles,I changed to Mobil one synthetic and the Lucas oil stabilizer now I get about2700 to 2800 miles to a quart,also use it in the automatic trans,  dave

Interesting!  What cost for the extra miles?

Ben

I have used the Lucas oil stabilizer now for approximately 16 years. I use a 35% mix of it with 90 weight oil for the Amphicar in both the water and land manual transmissions per the Lucas instructions. I always had a slight grinding when shifting on occasion however with the Lucas it makes the tranny’s shift quite and seamless even when cold starting out. Never tried it in the oil as Mobil 1 oil seems to work just fine.

I use some pills I just drop in the gas tank. Since I started using them my cars have stopped burning oil, the solid lifters are quiet, the fan belt doesn't squeak, and I don't have to get up 4 times at night to pee ...............Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I have been using it in my 37 Chevy p/u for the last few years,the 57 235 that is in it has some loose bearings and have not put a rod through the block yet and I do not baby it so it must be doing something.  I do have another 235 on the stand waiting to go in when I get off my behind.

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

I use some pills I just drop in the gas tank. Since I started using them my cars have stopped burning oil, the solid lifters are quiet, the fan belt doesn't squeak, and I don't have to get up 4 times at night to pee ...............Bob

What are the pills? A full nights sleep sounds good! 
dave s 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

i got some of that from a Eurologist, it's called Oxybutinin.   Maybe I'll try it out on the cars and see if it stops the leaks.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, ted sweet said:

totally different usage than a fuel stabilizer. its snake oil

Steve, I'm afraid I agree with Ted. My impression is the Lucas so called "stabilizer" is intended for worn out engines that need some help lasting another 10,000 miles before going belly up. That's why it's so thick, if I'm thinking of the same product. In that context, it's maybe okay for a daily driver with 190,000 miles on it. Yes, it's extreme viscosity will help worn out bearings quiet down and old rings seal better, but I've heard it can be detrimental to engines in good condition. I may have used it once in one of my old collector cars, but I've never been able to bring myself to do that again.

Instead, I use STP in engines with good results, so it's not like I'm opposed to additives in oil. A respected local engine builder recommends STP, in fact. Sometimes after extended periods of non-use, I'll also put Sea Foam in one of my cars to free sticky rings, but only on a temporary basis. Once the car stops smoking after the rings are freed up, I change the oil and don't use Sea Foam. My general attitude is the less additives the better, but it isn't a hard and fast rule for me.

• Like 1

Oil is pretty stable, it's just that they keep on taking stuff out of it.  If it smells bad or is known to cause cancer in laboratory rats that drink it, the EPA has removed it. 

A common wear additive that has been carefully removed is Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate which you may recognize comes in little bottles marked ZDDP.  This additive leaves a wear resistant coating on high friction surfaces like flat tappet camshaft surfaces.  I'm a firm believer in Sta-Bil for fuel preservation, all my shop fuel gets treated the day it comes in the door because I'm a forgetful old guy, I can never remember how many years ago I bought it.  

A small bottle of this stuff is probably good medicine for your modern oil, especially if your engine has non-roller flat tappet valve gear.

Screenshot (343).png

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)

Go to your local auto parts store and look for the Lucas Oil Demonstrator. It’s a plastic housing with gears that you can crank by hand. One side has regular oil the other has Lucas in it. You are supposed to spin each side so you can see how the Lucas sticks to the gears. No one ever mentions the fact that the Lucas does not sling off the gears and you get no splash lubrication. If you are at the point where you think you need this miracle in a bottle, it’s already too late.

• Like 1

Many times my wife and I have walked away from a conversation with another person and she has scoldingly told me "you know that believed you!".

I read a recent study from a noted Eurologist. Part of his study was was based on the affects of Lucas products in the automotive field. The scientific community threw it out as common dark humor.

• Haha 1

Once I had a gas powered golf cart that lost it's zip.   I put some "Restorer" in and the compression went up from 70 PSI to 90 PSI.  

The manual said 100 PSI when new.  It was only30 years old but didn't regain its zip.   What did I expect from 8.5 HP?