GM's New Logo

STEVE POLLARD

37 minutes ago, John348 said:

He said really nothing fails on them, no fluids to watch, maintenance is minimal, he finds it boring.

Last I heard the service & parts department at traditional dealerships accounted for approximately 50% of a dealer's gross profit.

Makes one wonder just what the Tesla business model looks like if nothing fails and maintenance is minimal.

I have researched the internets to see what other car sits think of the new gm logo and in my view the most humorous interpretation I found is on a Tesla site. Tesla fans are mocking the gm loco because if you turn the logo on its side and see the sideways g as an o and n joined together it spells out a subliminal message:

E l

on

as in Elon Musk.   That has to be funny.

They are also mocking the red version of the Ram Truck logo. They claim it appears to look like the ominous, half man/half animal, horned version of Satan.

I guess the Satan head is there but I think it is more likely a Rorschach test for the EV insane. Tesla greenies hate all diesel trucks because they are dirty, noisy polluters and especially hate the diesel Ram pickup driven by who they describe as the "red satan" or "red menace": The ominous mullet haired red neck driving the typical jacked up diesel Ram pickup with truck nutz hanging from the hitch. It could be just paranoia but they claim that Tesla's have been victims of "coal rolling" from these red menaces. Coal Rolling a Tesla  occurs when a Ram Truck finds itself in front of a Tesla rolling down the hi way and the pickup driver supposedly spews a cloud of black diesel soot out of the exhaust that swirls over the Tesla in the turbulence behind the truck. This is not funny. It could be dangerous if the cloud of soot blacks out the Tesla Autopilot cameras of an inattentive Tesla driver asleep at the wheel. 92794579_RAMLogo.jpg.10a78d88c73cab00f8906c88ff9ee70e.jpg

Tesla owners should not be mocking other brand logos. The Tesla logo has been mocked for years because some people say it looks like (how do I say this) like the female reproductive anatomy. In case you haven't seen one up close, the Tesla logo, I have attached a post below of the Tesla logo I copied from a site that compares the logo to a medical text book depiction of said anatomy. I sort of see the comparison but perhaps it is another Rorschach Test. Perhaps it explains why the Ram Truck owners label Tesla owners as a certain animal name for said anatomy.1478670553_TESLALOGO.thumb.jpg.bd4a5e51b0ae391e3eb0f1092141988d.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jerry with a Packard said:

Yes to Pete and LaSalle. My first, immediate observation was that the new logo was less masculine. I may get in trouble here, but it is less bold and can I say "limp".

Not to read too much into the logo thing but my take on Oldsmobile’s demise is that it was because the brand lost its masculinity.
 On a personal note we own a 2016 GMC Denali 1500 crew cab that has been great for the first 50,000 mi.  We also have a 2014 Tourareg diesel which we are considering replacing with a diesel Escalade.  It will be our last vehicle.   I don’t know if we will let a shortage of testosterone on GM’s part change our minds. 

Edited by Cured
Clarity (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Cured said:

Not to read too much into the logo thing but my take on Oldsmobile’s demise is that it was because the brand lost its masculinity.

It's own parent neutered it. Maybe GM now stands for genital mutilation?

The newly minted MBA's insisted GM had too many brands. They didn't have too many brands, they had too many brands that were identical between the nose and the taillights. People wised up to that. Shame the general itself can't.

• Like 3

On 1/9/2021 at 8:48 AM, ojh said:

I wonder why the lower case, the diminutive of the original is used?  And, Yes, Ed is right, it was designed by a committee.   What is troubling is that it is shedding its American identity and taking on a 'sophisticated' European look, a 'global' identity.  They forgot that GM gave us the Split Window and a 4spd 409 in the same year with style and grace.  Now they'll give us transportation modules.

Good question!..GM's marketplace boldness ceased years ago, and one can only assume that GM now proudly acknowledges their diminutized status as an automobile manufacturer with their new logo.

Edited by car crazy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, car crazy said:

Good question!..GM's marketplace boldness ceased years ago, and one can only assume that GM now proudly acknowledges their diminutized status as an automobile manufacturer with their new logo.

New cars are like washing machines with wheels........R.I.P.  automotive excitement...........Bob

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 12:05 PM, wws944 said:

I remember LMAO when my car buff uncle told me what he and his friends used to call the Edsel "horse collar" grill... 😄

Bob hope said the Edsel looked like an Oldsmobile sucking a lemon. I never really understood the joke until I seen the two of them sitting side by side at a car show a few years ago. That was an astute observation and probably deterred a lot of Edsel shoppers.

Ron

Edsel the poster car for failure | Drivingpage_5

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

New cars are like washing machines with wheels

Heh. I was in Lowe's a few years ago looking at stoves and overheard this from a 40-ish couple looking at washing machines. Salesman, 'scuse, associate was showing them one with a big electronic dashboard and the lady sez " I want something to wash clothes, not fly me to Mars".

🤣

Appliance makers must have got the message because I've seen more and more appliances that are going back to simple straightforward knobs and switches.

Anyone remember trying to program early VCR's?

And can you imagine what a GM-produced Frigidaire appliance might look like now, if gm (their preference!) still owned the brand?

• Haha 2

"might look like now" biggest button would select the language - in Chinese.

In the early 70s it was evident that the bean counters were taking over though some of the innovators were still there (Herb Adams, Bill Collins, Bill Mitchel, Zora, John the Z,...)

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

New cars are like washing machines with wheels........R.I.P.  automotive excitement...........Bob

They always were, a disposable commodity, to be consumed and thrown away, the only exception, there is a market for used cars, not so much for appliances

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

If you watch the ads on TV the typical automobile is not advertised.  It’s either a pickup truck or SUV something or other that gets all the coverage.  Honda, Toyota, VW and Audi along with Jaguar make some nice cars but they are not seen very often compared to pickups in commercials.  You can tell what vehicles are both in demand and cash cows for the manufacturers based on the ads you see on TV.

4 hours ago, John348 said:

there is a market for used cars, not so much for appliances

Never mind selling a good washer, TV, or reefer. Around here it COSTS $ to get rid of them. My local land fill will NOT take TV's. No exceptions. Here's little secret. If you repeatedly run over a big ole flat screen TV with your tractor it can be rolled and folded into a contractor strength garbage bag. ..........Bob

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, TerryB said:

If you watch the ads on TV the typical automobile is not advertised.  It’s either a pickup truck or SUV something or other that gets all the coverage.  Honda, Toyota, VW and Audi along with Jaguar make some nice cars but they are not seen very often compared to pickups in commercials.  You can tell what vehicles are both in demand and cash cows for the manufacturers based on the ads you see on TV.

Outside of pony cars, GM, Ford, and FCA have pretty much given up on the traditional car market.  It is all trucks, SUVs, and "crossovers".  Meanwhile, Toyota and Honda are selling huge numbers of sedans.  Teslas Model 3 is doing very well here in California.  Approaching Camry and Accord levels of sales.  Especially here in Silicon Valley - where it is not unusual to stop at a light and be surrounded by three/four/five Teslas...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Never mind selling a good washer, TV, or reefer. Around here it COSTS $ to get rid of them. My local land fill will NOT take TV's. No exceptions. Here's little secret. If you repeatedly run over a big ole flat screen TV with your tractor it can be rolled and folded into a contractor strength garbage bag. ..........Bob

Yeah - I had to get rid of an old CRT TV a couple years ago.  Finally found a e-waste place that would take it - about 20 miles away.  Still have one CRT TV to go.  Probably should have taken it at the same time.

19 minutes ago, wws944 said:

Outside of pony cars, GM, Ford, and FCA have pretty much given up on the traditional car market.  It is all trucks, SUVs, and "crossovers".  Meanwhile, Toyota and Honda are selling huge numbers of sedans.  Teslas Model 3 is doing very well here in California.  Approaching Camry and Accord levels of sales.  Especially here in Silicon Valley - where it is not unusual to stop at a light and be surrounded by three/four/five Teslas...

I noticed a lot of Tesla's sedans on Long Island as well, My wife and I noticed that the other day at a traffic light that were all around us.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, John348 said:

I noticed a lot of Tesla's sedans on Long Island as well, My wife and I noticed that the other day at a traffic light that were all around us.

My son said every model 3 coming off the assembly line in the 4th quarter was going directly to fill a customer order.  Even here in PA Amish country the number of electric cars on the road is noticeable.  I keep expecting the Amish to design and build en electric horse to pull their buggies and recharge it with solar produced electricity.   Many of the big solar installation companies locally are run by Amish as they’ve been dabbling in solar for years.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, wws944 said:

Yeah - I had to get rid of an old CRT TV a couple years ago.  Finally found a e-waste place that would take it - about 20 miles away.  Still have one CRT TV to go.  Probably should have taken it at the same time.

There's a reason for the old CRT disposal fees - there is a significant amount of mercury in them to be kept out of the ground and water.

2 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

There's a reason for the old CRT disposal fees - there is a significant amount of mercury in them to be kept out of the ground and water.

This is off topic to the conversation but I worked in the CRT division of RCA and mercury is not the issue, it’s the lead used in the glass formulation for customer x-ray protection along with lead in the solder, but the solder lead had been eliminated in the 90s.  Older CRTs could have cadmium as it was used to enhance the red phosphor.  We had worked to be as environmentally friendly as possible, mercury was not in any standard use formulation I know of.  Some electronic relays had mercury in them to enhance their operation but that was not used in TV relays, at least not by RCA.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/14/2021 at 12:21 PM, charlier said:

Last I heard the service & parts department at traditional dealerships accounted for approximately 50% of a dealer's gross profit.

Makes one wonder just what the Tesla business model looks like if nothing fails and maintenance is minimal.

f12dd0850035782fa062e08c7e114c7b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

This is off topic to the conversation but I worked in the CRT division of RCA and mercury is not the issue, it’s the lead used in the glass formulation for customer x-ray protection along with lead in the solder, but the solder lead had been eliminated in the 90s.  Older CRTs could have cadmium as it was used to enhance the red phosphor.  We had worked to be as environmentally friendly as possible, mercury was not in any standard use formulation I know of.  Some electronic relays had mercury in them to enhance their operation but that was not used in TV relays, at least not by RCA.  

All likely true. so what's the objection to flat screens? How about all the glass displays in today's dashboards? Will scrap yards refuse to take your clunker unless you "neutralize" the interior?  BTW, did you know that you can shoot a 25" CRT TV in the face with a .22 long rifle from 40 yards away and it won't break the glass?...........Bob

4 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

All likely true. so what's the objection to flat screens? How about all the glass displays in today's dashboards? Will scrap yards refuse to take your clunker unless you "neutralize" the interior?  BTW, did you know that you can shoot a 25" CRT TV in the face with a .22 long rifle from 40 yards away and it won't break the glass?...........Bob

No , just like air bags, side curtains. They'll take care of it.

38 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

There is a metal band installed around the perimeter of picture tubes that’s under tension to make them implode rather than explode. You weren’t allowed to shower the people watching with chunks of glass should there be a failure in the glass tube structure.  The picture tube is a vacuum and would love to explode if the glass is compromised.  You can thank the structural engineers for their design that makes shooting a tube no fun anymore. Take that band off and run for cover if the glass breaks, I’ve seen it and it will be messy should the tube let loose. We had videos of tubes exploding during tension band testing, they were neat!

Not sure about flat screens, they put me out of business after 34 fun filled years in the industry.  Early ones used fluorescent bulbs as a backlight to improve the picture, newer ones used LED light sources.  The phosphor in the tubes might be a concern to landfills.  I don’t think there is much harmful in the display itself, they are like a big cellphone or laptop computer.

Sony was the only manufacturer to use wires under high tension to guide the electron beam to the phosphors on the screen.  This required a heavy metal structure inside the CRT to handle the wire stress and extra thick faceplate glass to support the extra heavy frame, hence the 300 lb weight of the finished product.

And now back to GM and its new logo.....

I was curious about the ban on TV's in landfills, so I googled it.

"They contain toxins such as lead, mercury, cadmium and chromium that could leach into groundwater,''

One of those rare times everyone is right.

Now, back to Generous Motors and their logo critique.

3 minutes ago, Ozstatman said:

Lightburn was an Australian Washing Machine manufacturer who branched out into making small cars, unsuccessfully. Here's a couple of pic's.

zeta3.JPG

zeta1.JPG

Just like Nash-Kelvinator in the US

Kelvinator was a United States home appliance manufacturer and a line of domestic refrigerators that was the namesake of the company. Although as a company it is now defunct, the name still exists as a brand name owned by Electrolux AB.

image.jpeg.782299ddb666ffe45e7ca48617384ccc.jpeg