GM's New Logo

STEVE POLLARD

7 hours ago, Pete O said:

The old logo has an air of strength and confidence. 

The people who came up with the new logo would probably say the old logo was too masculine. And too many other things that I won't mention because it would turn this discussion unpleasant for a lot of us.

I personally think the old logo had a timeless look and appeal. Not at all outdated, just (as you say) strong and confident. Only yesterday I was looking at a youtube vid where a guy was putting the final decals on a '70 Chevelle restoration, and as he put the "GM" decal on the door jamb, I thought, wow, that logo doesn't look remotely old fashioned.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Corporate double-speak and jibber-jabber dep't:

I worked with a guy who was literally in love with the stuff and took every opportunity to spout it- especially when people above plant level visited, then he'd really crank up. He had no idea what he was talking about, and watching the higher pay grades listen and nod attentively while he rambled on convinced me they didn't either. But the consultant told them they had to have it or they were doomed, in the meantime grinning all the way to the bank. Odds are the consultant didn't know either, but lay a high price tag on a few buzzwords and watch the money roll in!

Wicked beast that I am, I bought a Jibbajabba toy at Walmart and set it in his desk chair. Toy's packaging said "I say nothing all the time!". Even the plant manager chuckled when he saw it, because he was wise to Tony's shtick.

https://images.app.goo.gl/2YEmjotKA8sAwbtRA

I worked with a guy named Phil who was the VP of sales who read all the corporate "be a better company/boss/employee/salesman" books and always had a new idea or phrase that he picked up from one of those books and he'd bring them to meetings. Always with the "paradigm shift" or "working the perceptions" or non-word nonsense like that. So a buddy and I decided that we were going to insert new vernacular into his vocabulary and see if Phil would pick it up and run with it.  We started saying, "We're going to put the cat face on it," in meetings, meaning we're going to try to make it look its best. We dropped it in meetings, in proposals, in memos. Total nonsense but we knew it would be appeal to Phil. The cat face. It was the dumbest thing we could think of that still might fly.

So at the annual meeting with 300 people in attendance, he makes his opening remarks and sure enough Phil claimed 2004 was the year we were really going to put the cat face on the new branding. Quiet high five with my buddy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

😼 

A Dilbert came out years ago, about time we were yet again rolling out the newest consultant-driven flavor of the month.

Dogbert the consultant was laying it on thick and the pointy-haired boss says "Aren't you the same consultant that sold us another program identical to this last year?"

Dogbert's tail wagged as he said "I can promise you the name has changed!"

Pointy-haired boss with eyes agog "When can we start!"

Had that on my cubicle wall for years. That same plant manager chuckled at it every time he came by.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Here's a suggestion to GM:

Rather than changing your logo and buying

new stationery, simply make a better product:

---Work to get your cars and trucks to be

as reliable, or better than, the best on the market.

I don't know what your personal experience is with GM, but mine is I purchased a new Silverado in 2011. Absolutely wonderful vehicle, drives, handles great, 4wd 5700 pounds and gets a legit 20 mpg on the highway. 96,000 miles and other than change oil, a battery and finally a set of new tires, I've had no issues with it. Always starts, doesn't burn or leak oil, runs just as good and strong as the day I bought it. I've known other people that bought them and had the same experience.

Don't let the GM electric car cheerleaders fool you, their gas engine vehicles aren't going away. Their internal combustion light truck sales were up 5% last quarter.

And I seriously doubt anyone builds a better vehicle. I've owned a Toyota and a Honda, neither was as reliable as this Chevy truck. True story.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

I’m sure the imbeciles that came up with a new logo are very proud of themselves. I bet you they put seven or eight hundred grand into coming up with their genius idea. I’ve never seen such a crappy logo for such a big company in my life. Looks like it was designed by committee. Obviously it’s so bad that they had thousands of hours of time in it. Same way that Ford came up with the Edsel name. It’s embarrassing it’s so bad. Too bad car people don’t run car companies anymore. Normally I would ask upon seeing something so ridiculous “ what were they thinking“, it’s obvious not one person who is involved with that project was capable of a single critical thought. 

“GM is working to remake it public image”    Can I humbly suggest they make a car or truck that someone wants that isn't a pile of trash? That would be a fantastic place to start from. I bet Matt Harwood could make some decent suggestions.

I'm in agreement with Ed on this...and I say that coming from a career as a typesetter and graphic designer where I created literally dozens of logos for companies. My first thought was "how much did they spend on this?"...I would not be surprised if it didn't come to a few hundred thousand dollars and took thousands of hours of "meetings." Really...might their time not be spent trying to build a car or truck that isn't an electronic nightmare?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Locomobile said:

Ahh ok, sorry bout that.

Ya know, upside down the white inside the m looks like pi and the g looks like a 6 or pi 6 or 3 6's.... 666.. Ok, I'll stop 😁

Paul is dead...

😄

17 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Someone will still find a reason to be offended by it. Me, I think it's disappointing more than anything else.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Sometimes I miss that old GM arrogance!

The whole first page of this thread is people offended by it. 😆 

Personally I think it's kind of stupid. It's not an improvement...in any way shape or form. But it's better than the last logo they had for GM Goodwrench, which was a Q for some reason. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Paul is dead...

😄

If you play that record backwards it indeed says that and if you keep listening it says ''GM is next''..

Conspiracy theorists, ya have to love them, how else would we learn about Project Northwoods, Chemtrails and Bigfoot?

14 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I worked with a guy named Phil who was the VP of sales who read all the corporate "be a better company/boss/employee/salesman" books and always had a new idea or phrase that he picked up from one of those books and he'd bring them to meetings. Always with the "paradigm shift" or "working the perceptions" or non-word nonsense like that. So a buddy and I decided that we were going to insert new vernacular into his vocabulary and see if Phil would pick it up and run with it.  We started saying, "We're going to put the cat face on it," in meetings, meaning we're going to try to make it look its best. We dropped it in meetings, in proposals, in memos. Total nonsense but we knew it would be appeal to Phil. The cat face. It was the dumbest thing we could think of that still might fly.

So at the annual meeting with 300 people in attendance, he makes his opening remarks and sure enough Phil claimed 2004 was the year we were really going to put the cat face on the new branding. Quiet high five with my buddy.

Love it!  We used to play Buzzword Bingo during the endless conference calls we had where I worked.  Some off us would create sheets with the buzzwords in a grid, and if anyone said it, you x'ed the box.  When you got five in a row, Bingo!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

a) pi are 3.1415926535897932384626433832795

b) think 2000-2015 will be a new "golden age". To much automation after that.

c) reminds me of the "supersonic pig".

Pi are round! 🥧And Pi squared are a cobbler!

Migawd Padgett, didn't they teach anything in GMI?!🎓

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Wasn’t there a company about 15 years ago that spent a couple hundred thousand dollars doing a study for a new logo and came up with a big red block “N”. They then made a big advertisement campaign announcing it only to find out the University of Nebraska had a copyright on it. They had to start all over. 
Don’t fix what’s not broken. 

Their lawyers didn't earn their pay on that one... should have called Kalfus & Nachman...

I guess old men like us don't accept change all that well. I don't understand what the big deal is, this is not the first time GM had a logo change, and not the last. They are not looking to market new cars to us, but rather our children and grandchildren. 

At the end of the day how does a new logo affect any of us?.... it just does not matter, and is just not that important 

• Like 3

They are successfully getting us to talk about the change which is what a new logo is meant to do.  It’s puts them back in the spotlight.  I don’t think it’ looks all that great but if it somehow attracts people to look at them it could add to keeping the company around for more years to come which I see as a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TerryB said:

They are successfully getting us to talk about the change which is what a new logo is meant to do.  It’s puts them back in the spotlight.  I don’t think it’ looks all that great but if it somehow attracts people to look at them it could add to keeping the company around for more years to come which I see as a good thing.

Terry, very true

1 hour ago, John348 said:

At the end of the day how does a new logo affect any of us?.... it just does not matter, and is just not that important.

I agree:  A logo isn't very important.  But someone

at GM thought so and spent many thousands of 

dollars to modify it.  And just think how many items

will be discarded just to replace a logo?

52 minutes ago, TerryB said:

They are successfully getting us to talk about the change which is what a new logo is meant to do. 

True, Terry!  But they would be chagrined to know

that many true car fans dislike it or think it's silly!

• Like 2

To a marketing person even bad press is better than no reaction.  Remember how the rollout of Tesla’s Cyberturck went?  The failure of the glass window was not planned to happen and the press went wild showing how bad the failure was.  Soon lots more people knew about Cybertruck and Tesla.  Have you seen their stock price recently?  Sometimes it just works out.

• Thanks 1

OK, I think I see the problem....

dork.thumb.jpg.4090a99e8b79943911fb3e178245e34e.jpg

I'm feeling a distinct lack of confidence in the new spokesman.  This is the precise moment where GM lets me know I am no longer in their target market.

2032628.thumb.jpg.2d8b73223f5ae7591bd72ba9fb82e6a5.jpg

1 hour ago, John348 said:

I guess old men like us don't accept change all that well.

Change, for it's own sake, is a pointless waste of time. It always has been but that lesson seems to be lost on those too young to have seen much of it. Personally, I'm insulted by the modern notion that my opinion can be dismissed on the basis on my age. I'd like to see how many of those that subscribe to that notion would react to having their opinions dismissed on the same basis ...

Is ignorance the criteria for having a valid opinion? If so, it would explain why so much credit is accorded movie stars, pop musicians, sports figures, politicians and "youth."

• Like 9

It’s more of a targeted market than simply age.  Look at TV shows on the nostalgia channels, Joe Namath is pushing Medicare plans, the Ferrari driving Tom Selleck is pushing reverse mortgage plans and cellphone companies have phone ads for “easy to use” phones.  The marketing people think the logo will work in a demographic group they believe is their core or future customers, including those people in countries outside the USA.  The new logo and their business plan can be a raging success or big flop, time will tell.  The new Coke comparison comes to mind on the negative reaction side.  I’ve seen logos for Asian companies that look weird for our typical marketing trend but it seems to work for them.  Product performance and value outweigh logo strength in the end.

• Like 1

I would think a large part of the negative thoughts about this change can be attributed to the older (my) generation having a factor of loyalty. It may be to a sports team, football, baseball, basketball or hockey or car manufacturer or even a brand of TP. The younger generation does not seem to have that same loyalty factor. I know most of the pro sports players don’t have it. They will switch teams and even demand to get out of contracts if they can get more $$$. Why shouldn’t a company change their logo, they may just get the attention of the demographic that will buy their product. I could honestly care less about the logo, I just want a good product for the $$$. Now if Rogers decides to leave the Packards like Brady did the Patriots I will be very upset!!  

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 2