How many tools to do a car restoration?

Gary_Ash

On 11/20/2020 at 7:25 AM, alsancle said:

Also, I'm in the process of replacing all my pneumatic/corded tools with 18V electrics.

I hope you like buying expensive batteries or new tools in 10 years.....  😄

BTDT have Snap-On battery tools (impact and drill) that are now worthless..... The air tools are still going fine after 30 + years.

Then there are the Makitas, Milwaukee etc battery drills that are now worthless due to expensive battery replacements. My corded electric drills are running just fine, some 50 years old.

Sure they are handy for not having a cord and not needing a compressor, but life is short for them. Yes, I do have cordless 1/4" hex drive impact and drill. But no battery saws (circular, sawsall, sabre [jig],table or miter), large drills, grinders, polishers, oscillating tools, 1/2" impacts, etc. Wait, I do still have a Milwaukee 18 volt 1/2" drive impact with no good batteries. 😳

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

I hope you like buying expensive batteries or new tools in 10 years.....  😄

BTDT have Snap-On battery tools (impact and drill) that are now worthless..... The air tools are still going fine after 30 + years.

Then there are the Makitas, Milwaukee etc battery drills that are now worthless due to expensive battery replacements. My corded electric drills are running just fine, some 50 years old.

Sure they are handy for not having a cord and not needing a compressor, but life is short for them. Yes, I do have cordless 1/4" hex drive impact and drill. But no battery saws (circular, sawsall, sabre [jig],table or miter), large drills, grinders, polishers, oscillating tools, 1/2" impacts, etc. Wait, I do still have a Milwaukee 18 volt 1/2" drive impact with no good batteries. 😳

At my age I don't need much for Christmas so I put batteries on the list. Keeps the tools running with no cost and they are something I can always use...

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

At my age I don't need much for Christmas so I put batteries on the list. Keeps the tools running with no cost and they are something I can always use...

You have a good point there. I have 3 electric tools and only 2 batteries. I think that Santa may bring me 2 more so that I can have one on the charger at all times.                   👍

On 11/20/2020 at 7:09 AM, TAKerry said:

I dont have a lot of specific type tools, and I am sure I would find some things go so much easier if I did.

If you own a GM, or a Studebaker, you MUST have the inside door & window crank removal tool!!

Craig

50637826217_c3e3245ba0_b.jpg2020-11-23_08-57-44 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

50637743186_73023315cb_b.jpg2020-11-23_08-57-26 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Here is a tool I bought around 1982. Very specific and at the time very expensive for what it was ( I think it was around $50+/-).  I think I only used it a couple of times but it was invaluable. Havent had a need for it in 30 yrs or so but it still has a prominent spot in my tool box. Any guesses what it is?

I bet Ed knows what it is.......

5 minutes ago, padgett said:

Am an amateur. Most of my hand tools are Craftsman or Penncraft. Not on Matco or Snap On routes and couldn't afford anyway.

8E45E: you mean one of these ?

doortool.jpg

That is the one.

On a 1959-1966 Studebaker, it is almost impossible not to break the clear plastic escutcheon behind the crank or inside handle without it.

Craig

6 hours ago, padgett said:

Am an amateur. Most of my hand tools are Craftsman or Penncraft. Not on Matco or Snap On routes and couldn't afford anyway.

8E45E: you mean one of these ?

doortool.jpg

This tool can be replaced with a rag that is drawn between the interior panel and the inside of the handle. It will grab the spring clip and remove it faster than you can catch it when it comes out!

On 11/20/2020 at 7:25 AM, alsancle said:

Also, I'm in the process of replacing all my pneumatic/corded tools with 18V electrics

Here is a quiz for you. How many volts is a Dewalt 20 volt Max* tool after being fully charged. A tip is it is not 20 volts.  

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Nobody told me nothin, just had to OJT all the way. Most were given cars (190SL was a girl's car). Was reported for swapping a manifold in the driveway. Was Not Done.

Guess my first collection was tools, started long before anything else. Thinking about an induction heater for frozen bolts but not that many frozen bolts here and seem to be a few Benjamins. Prolly just stay with PB Blaster and an impact (have hand, electric, and air).

I'm presently in the middle of my second prewar restoration and what find most valuable is a set of oxy/acetelene torches and a portable media blast unit. Also have a person on speed dial for larger parts baking in oven then blasting. Lots of old rusty parts to make new again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

Here is a quiz for you. How many volts is a Dewalt 20 volt Max* tool after being fully charged. A tip is it is not 20 volts.  

18 volts. Says so on the package. 

If just removed from the charger, it is close to 20 volts. that is 4 volts per cell, high for Li-Ion. It drops to 3.7 to 3.6 volts per cell as a load is put on it.

8 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

18 volts. Says so on the package. 

If just removed from the charger, it is close to 20 volts. that is 4 volts per cell, high for Li-Ion. It drops to 3.7 to 3.6 volts per cell as a load is put on it.

Very good! Yes 18 volts on the package but you really have to look for it.  The bold print 20 volt is all smoke and mirrors and is actually referring to the charger itself not the tool.

John Deere and many other manufacturers that lost their law suit for over rating the motor size then had to reimburse  money back last year. Check and see if your mower is on the list for your refund.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

My boys may be wright on me having too many tools, machines and equipment. As most car guys I have a hard time turning down a tool bargain as I could not pass by one again. I bought my 3rd band saw blade welder being able to weld and anneal from 1/8 to 1 inch blades with the push of a button. You just do not see them for sale very often and you should always have 2 spares.  

On 11/21/2020 at 4:31 PM, 29hupp said:

I have lots of friends.  Not sure if they like me or just like all my tools that they borrow.  Some tools I spend hours hunting for when needed first then spend hours trying to remember who may of borrowed them.  I wonder sometimes how often something borrowed gets returned after the lender dies.  

i just don't have what they want,anymore--it's like having a trailer--

7 minutes ago, 13CADDY said:

Not sure if they like me or just like all my tools that they borrow.

I know what you are saying as I had a very good friend ask to borrow a box pan brake and shears for the winter and I relented and said yes. The wife is not happy when I do things like that and especially when I do a door to door delivery. 

8 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I know what you are saying as I had a very good friend ask to borrow a box pan brake and shears for the winter and I relented and said yes. The wife is not happy when I do things like that and especially when I do a door to door delivery. 

A box pan brake and shears don't exactly fit on one's pocket.  I can see her not too happy being recruited to assist in loading and unloading them!!

Craig

On 11/20/2020 at 11:00 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

Shoot, I even still have the socket to remove the locknut that holds the bearing in on an old style manual lock 4WD front hub for a GM truck.And I'm never gonna do that again.

In my tool box, I have the special tool to return the rear brake self adjuster back to start position for a Chevy Vega.  I am quite sure that I will never own another Vega.

Vintage K-D Tools No. 2307 Rear Brake Adjustment Hand Tool Chevrolet Vega USA

• Haha 1

Remember fighting the rear brake adjustment on a '75 Astre wagon. Had forgotten until you mentioned. Speaking of H-bodies think I still have a couple of the rear wheel spacers (issue was one) that was part of a recall.

On 11/23/2020 at 9:09 AM, TAKerry said:

Here is a tool I bought around 1982. Very specific and at the time very expensive for what it was ( I think it was around $50+/-).  I think I only used it a couple of times but it was invaluable. Havent had a need for it in 30 yrs or so but it still has a prominent spot in my tool box. Any guesses what it is?

Nobody guessed yet, so...

Harley Davidson muffler bearing remover and installer?

On 11/23/2020 at 7:09 AM, TAKerry said:

Appears to be a countersunk plug removal tool.

Craig

• Like 1