Forum participation - lots of statistics on forum usage

New methods or sequences of finding favorites may take some time for those of us who are more accustomed to prior habits -

Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks,

but sometimes it takes a while??

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I gave up years ago, too many forum categories to look through, (I gave up on "for sale" now also, a newly created mess).  About once a month I will search the entire forum to check for people with Graham-Paige questions and get them help.  I only regularly check the General Discussion and Technical forums.  If it were up to me there would be about 6 categories.  Lots of the marques have almost identical questions anyway, my favorite is "my generator is not charging" let see that applies to everything before 1950?

Lets follow the KISS principle "keep it simple, stupid"

Update:

Sorry to be short, this forum is the BEST game out there, great people!!! great information!!! just wish it were easier for everybody to find the information they are looking for.

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

I gave up years ago, too many forum categories to look through, (I gave up on "for sale" now also, a newly created mess).  About once a month I will search the entire forum to check for people with Graham-Paige questions and get them help.  I only regularly check the General Discussion and Technical forums.  If it were up to me there would be about 6 categories.  Lots of the marques have almost identical questions anyway, my favorite is "my generator is not charging" let see that applies to everything before 1950?

Lets follow the KISS principle "keep it simple, stupid"

Update:

Sorry to be short, this forum is the BEST game out there, great people!!! great information!!! just wish it were easier for everybody to find the information they are looking for.

The development of multiple forums was to keep subjects grouped together.  Which for many does KISS.  If i would put all the 140 forums into 6 there would be too many posts globbed together, it would deter people from working through the posts to find things they are interested in.  IMHO. :)

Thanks for the positive comments.

• Like 2

Thank you Peter. Now except for the General forum do you have anything for Posts, this year vs last ? Is interesting that the first Marque forum (not buy-sell, etc.) is # 11 pre-war Buicks (not specific about which war).

3 minutes ago, padgett said:

Thank you Peter. Now except for the General forum do you have anything for Posts, this year vs last ? Is interesting that the first Marque forum (not buy-sell, etc.) is # 11 pre-war Buicks (not specific about which war).

No on the first question. (not without a lot of work)

"(not specific about which war)"  - WWII. (but i bet you knew that already, didnt you?)

• Haha 3

Page views are a fun analytical tool but don't address the lower number of posts. I've noticed that myself, and not just on this forum...they are down all over the internet, on every forum I visit. Some have speculated that because of the virus there are less people sitting around bored at a desk job so they spend less time on message boards, but I don't know if there's any truth to it. 

• Like 1

The Buick Reatta forum use to be one of the most active categories. It still holds the record for the most posts in a Buick forum. Only the main "General Discussion" forum has more total posts. But now the Reatta forum is all but dead.  We get lots of visitors but only a few posts per week.

Several people on the Reatta forum have tried our best to generate more interest and keep it going but nothing works. Oddly enough it started going downhill when the Reatta reached antique car status. When Facebook groups gained popularity it hurt all the forums to.  The Reatta forum's decline has nothing to do with how the categories are laid out. People's interests change over time and there isn't much you can do about that.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
6 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Page views are a fun analytical tool but don't address the lower number of posts. I've noticed that myself, and not just on this forum...they are down all over the internet, on every forum I visit. Some have speculated that because of the virus there are less people sitting around bored at a desk job so they spend less time on message boards, but I don't know if there's any truth to it. 

Kinda seems like it would be just the opposite.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Peter Gariepy said:

You are seeing antidotal evidence.  Forum page views and users are up year over year

It may be anecdotal, but how about longer-term

statistics?  How does annual usage compare with

3, 5, and 10 years ago?

I don't see any problem with the compartmentalization

of the categories.  But I did notice that the newsletter

editors' category has seen much less use than previously.

It may sometimes go a month without any posting.

53 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

The numbers clearly show Topics and Posts are up.

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 11.38.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 11.30.38 AM.png

• Like 1

Craigslist "for sale" listings particularly of what I consider interesting cars of the 80s are also way down and prices which bottomed around June are now rising. Supply and demand ? More TV shows extolling LS swaps and bad engineering ? Am amazed some are still alive but never understood drifting (slow way around a track) or burnouts till the tires pop (Tirerack does not sponsor me). Guess am reaching curmudgeon status, have passed "recluse".

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Those bar graphs show a lot of growth, very good. How many of those comments are from the "Period Images" and White threads? :)

edit: apparently a lot since the White thread appears three times in that chart. A lot of threads I have not seen there, I mostly stay in General Discussion.

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)

Have no doubt the General Discussion is up, it is the specific marque forums (not the buy sell) that seem to be way down in new posts or I am the only one posting.

ps Xander - is that clip from the last century, have not had monitors like that for years ?

• Haha 1

Just some observation. Forums are tough. I have long had a fondness for Paige and Jewett automobiles. Their history as of an "also ran" is actually quite remarkable. Harry Jewett as an investor took over the Fred Paige company (not its actual name) to protect his investment because in their first two years they did everything wrong. He turned the company around in a year, and they became one of the most profitable independent producers in the industry.

He avoided racing as a company because he didn't want to risk killing or maiming company employees or friends, yet Paige became an automobile of choice for low budget independent racers. Even E L Cord raced a Paige automobile in 1917 before he was building his own!

Forums for Paige or Jewett automobiles have never been very active. I have tried to push a few of them over the years, with no success. I check into the Graham Paige sub-forum below occasionally, and comment when there is something for me to comment on. Often, when I check in? The last previous comment was mine! I think my record was just over four months that one of my comments remained the last one.

All that aside. I do wish to thank all those at the AACA that host and promote these forums! There are several marque specific forums here that I check occasionally. Four or five that I sometimes comment in, another dozen or so just because I like those marques.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Forum participation - lots of statistics on forum usage
4 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Just some observation. Forums are tough. I have long had a fondness for Paige and Jewett automobiles. Their history as of an "also ran" is actually quite remarkable. Harry Jewett as an investor took over the Fred Paige company (not its actual name) to protect his investment because in their first two years they did everything wrong. He turned the company around in a year, and they became one of the most profitable independent producers in the industry.

He avoided racing as a company because he didn't want to risk killing or maiming company employees or friends, yet Paige became an automobile of choice for low budget independent racers. Even E L Cord raced a Paige automobile in 1917 before he was building his own!

Forums for Paige or Jewett automobiles have never been very active. I have tried to push a few of them over the years, with no success. I check into the Graham Paige sub-forum below occasionally, and comment when there is something for me to comment on. Often, when I check in? The last previous comment was mine! I think my record was just over four months that one of my comments remained the last one.

All that aside. I do wish to thank all those at the AACA that host and promote these forums! There are several marque specific forums here that I check occasionally. Four or five that I sometimes comment in, another dozen or so just because I like those marques.

Forum participation is someone reliant on both ownership and interest.  Paige and Jewett are simply two marques that have low ownership counts, and subsequently interest. That translates to lower forum participation.

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Ones I am interested were built in 10s of thousands before GM pulled the plug. Of course they never have gotten any respect.

Low forum participation on a marque doesn't define its respect.

Example: How many Duesenburg posts are there here? ;) 

I personally enjoyed this forum more than any other I’ve followed and/ or been a member. I think they are well organized and the moderators do a good, fair job keeping things civil. I will say we may not express our appreciation for how well they are run often enough as we just assume they belong to us and we can do what we want. So thanks for everyone’s involved hard work. I will try to say that more often. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

I fall into that group somewhat. I have a Haynes and I now understand how very few people have them. Not surprising that I’ve not had any discussion with another Haynes owner here. I have found some very helpful information thru other members though. Forums are tough as everyone has their own opinion of what they’re interested in and how a car should be. The forum topics are just as diverse even amongst car makes. I’m glad it’s all here. I usually select “All Activity” and scroll through until I see something that grabs my attention regardless of make or specific topic. 
Being new here, that helps me find topics of interest. 

Bob.......I never offer my opinion......I’m always right, so it’s just facts! 😝

Reading the technical section is great for learning new things......both how to and how not to fix things. There are people posting here that think they know what they are doing...........and they don’t. Being able to sort out which is which is often a problem for new people in the hobby. Since your a full time mechanic on huge industrial engines, you have much less to learn. 

Ask yourself this question.......how many miles has the person offering advice actually driven an old car? And, not to be offensive.......but old cars are only pre war. Post war cars are modern and proven technologically and thus finding parts or fabrication can and is challenging..........fixing them with very, very few exceptions is not difficult. Now all the flack will start.........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3