Antique Commercial trucks, how many are still in use?

Steve9

On 12/11/2021 at 11:08 AM, Steve9 said:

These old Dodge vans are rarely seen anymore. Maybe someone can tell me the year. Doing duty as a sandwich delivery vehicle should insure a nice long life. Seeing it always puts a smile on my face. Looks like period correct mags too.

274E1EE6-E889-4E6B-8E29-43AFA3A2B3D8.jpeg

E4AB15B3-AA30-4C1B-ADCB-6C87B18C74D3.jpeg

Looks like about a 1967-68

• Like 1

When I was just a young lad in the early 60s I remember the Helms Bakery truck coming through the neighborhood once a week. This was in the Southern California area. I am surprised that I haven't seen any of these since the 70s. I believe they were built on a Suburban chassis. Anyone seen one of these? 

Here's my '46 Dodge WF-32, it has the 237 engine and NP 4 speed.  Bought it sitting in junkyard back in 1997. Did a refurb on it. I have been using since about 1998 and put about 21,000 miles on it to date. It started out as oil delivery truck in 1946. I took the tank off and mounted an old dump body on it, the hoist is rolling wedge type. Use it for everything, scrap metal, machine pickup, wood, gravel, mulch, and moving friends and family. Not too fast but it gets there eventually. Comfortable at 45-50 mph (until we get a hill). 

Last year had an issue with power booster - a yellow jacket got in the booster vent line, and stuck under the valve, holding it partly open. see pic.

20190914_180035.jpg

20190831_125639.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 12/18/2021 at 8:55 AM, Larry Schramm said:

Looks like you rebuilt the bed and strengthen up the cab.  Looks good.

I got the old bed for $10 bucks at a local auction. Shortened it up a foot and a half to get rid of some rotten spots and make it fit the truck correctly. Folks that have looked at it can't believe it hasn't always been on the truck. 

• Like 3

On 12/21/2021 at 8:22 AM, Dandy Dave said:

I got the old bed for $10 bucks at a local auction. Shortened it up a foot and a half to get rid of some rotten spots and make it fit the truck correctly. Folks that have looked at it can't believe it hasn't always been on the truck. 

On my 1915 Buick truck, I must have had to add the 18 inches you cut off to my truck.  Someone cut off about 18 inches from my truck before I bought it.  I figure that they cut if off to put in a small garage built for a Model T which is only about 11 feet long.  Haha.  The correct length of my truck is between 16-17 ft long.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

On my 1915 Buick truck, I must have had to add the 18 inches you cut off to my truck.  Someone cut off about 18 inches from my truck before I bought it.  I figure that they cut if off to put in a small garage built for a Model T which is only about 11 feet long.  Haha.  The correct length of my truck is between 16-17 ft long.

The bed was 10 foot long. Shortened it to 8 and 1/2. 

A really engaging topic near and dear to my heart.

An unfortunate consequence of too many years spent working in the claims side of the auto insurance world is that one must be careful to define what is meant by the word 'use'.

Here in the soon to be Great White North  ( which will soon have me pining for the formerly known as Wet Coast when i have to shovel snow; apparently on Christmas no less! ) our courts have decided that removing the bent steering bracket from your vintage vehicle and taking it into the backyard to beat it into shape with a hammer on your concrete back steps with such vigor that it flies up and hits your overly inquisitive neighbour in the head is, in fact , 'a use to which a vehicle is normally put'.

Or , as Inigo Montoya so aptly put it, 'I do not think that word means what you think it means'

My point in all of this , as any one who owns a vintage commercial vehicle of the flat deck persuasion knows, is that once they are parked in the garage that flat level 5'x8' space behind the cab just becomes too attractive and is soon put to 'use' storing parts for the rest of the projects

I submit to you that my commercial vehicle is ALWAYS in use.😇

Merry Christmas everyone.

P1020936.JPG.cc32ba1bb8ce969448577bbaa47f0547.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Not a truck, but in Australia a ute(pick up).  Photo taken in July 2019 Melbourne, Australia. In original condition, including dents

Guessing after 1972 to ~1980, by the position of the front indicators. Type 2's were assembled in AU, but unsure if utes were assembled or imported

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Type_2

VW Melbourne AU 2019 s.jpg

Edit

From the (probably original) b&w rego plate is 1977 or before (~1974 1975?)  Plate is not currently registered (may have been unregistered in 2019!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Victoria

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This is our 1915 Buick truck that I still use occasionally to pick up stuff around town for the house.  We also tour with it occasionally.  This pictures are of the truck at Greenfield Village at The Old Car Festival.  The second picture is of us delivering drinks to participants in the Lansing-Dearborn tour at The Old Car Festival.

Greenfield Village Sept 2012 Larry & Joyce Schramm.JPG

image000000 - 2021-09-13T184824.749.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 12/17/2021 at 6:15 PM, kingrudy said:

When I was just a young lad in the early 60s I remember the Helms Bakery truck coming through the neighborhood once a week. This was in the Southern California area. I am surprised that I haven't seen any of these since the 70s. I believe they were built on a Suburban chassis. Anyone seen one of these? 

They are a Twin Coach chassis, if you're thinking of one of these:

10aths087.jpg

10aths106.jpg

10aths213.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, 8E45E said:

10aths087.jpg

10aths106.jpg

10aths213.jpg

23 hours ago, 8E45E said:

10aths087.jpg

10aths106.jpg

10aths213.jpg

The ones that I recall were in service during the mid 50s, or early 60s and they were built on a Chevy Suburban chassis. The rear of the truck opened to deliver bread and donuts.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a truck used on display so it technically is in use. They said 1925 Chevrolet. I love the barn find originality. Looks like the owner passed while waiting for the restoration to commence! Hand crank dump bed too.D87FB3D9-3675-42FF-85D9-685EB0144A7E.jpeg.2acf78e0ce8ca3a8d74bbc6f8ce2d7de.jpegAC126A73-3139-41A1-92A4-BE4CFEDEF371.jpeg.54aac51e555ff31a003e1a5d4ff53f41.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One pizza shop owner/car restorer built a pizza food truck for his own business. It attracted such attention  that he has now built about 60 units for buyers across the country, according to an article in the Charleston, SC Post and Courier.

Coastal Crust pizza and vintage truck restoration business have grown organically | Business | postandcourier.com

Coastal Crust Truck 4

Classic Crust: Albany NY

Coastal Crust Truck 3

Don

• Like 2