No bumping your own ad

NC-car-guy

5 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

You do naturally bump your own ad when you drop the price via adding that you have dropped the price,  or add some info or a new photo.  Just saying. 

Good point

55 minutes ago, SpecialEducation said:

Just shoot me a message and I’ll bump your ad for you... lol

Appears someone has been doing that upstairs in AACA. One individual bumped no less than 18 different users ads. And for what possible reason.

• Like 1

I might do a bump if it goes to the next page.

While I fully appreciate them, I suspect the number of “Not Mine/Online Classified Finds” ads may be causing member/users ads to be pushed down the list, oft times to the next pages. To that, I’d suggest adding a “Not Mine” subforum dedicated for such. 

cc @Peter Gariepy

Edited by MrEarl
add Online Classified Finds (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

I might do a bump if it goes to the next page.

While I fully appreciate them, I suspect the number of “Not Mine” ads may be causing member/users ads to be pushed down the list, oft times to the next pages. To that, I’d suggest adding a “Not Mine” subforum dedicated for such. 

The 67-72 Chevy truck forum has threads for "Craigslist Finds", and I think a similar thread could potentially clear up the buy/sell page.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Edwin The Kid said:

The 67-72 Chevy truck forum has threads for "Craigslist Finds", and I think a similar thread could potentially clear up the buy/sell page.

Or perhaps named "Online Classified Finds" as there are so many online these days ie eBay, Craigslist, FB Marketplace, Bring a Trailer, Hemmings etc, etc.

• Like 6

It probably would be a good thing as well to add a new category , so we know the cars posted weren't members so we didn't have to worry about commenting on a car.  I always look over the ad to make sure it's a repost before commenting about overpricing or presentation or,  the list goes on,  but when it's a members car I only make comments about a lack of price of location,  which most usually post shortly after.  It doesn't matter if you are buying a Bug or a Bugatti first thing both potential buyers will want to know is price. Regardless of how affluent they are or are not. 

• Like 2

I have to BTT  It is  very hard to sell an orphan car. Some sell in 12 month and some after 4 years..

If I get a delete on a BTT. I will drop out funding the club...  You can put a rule in the software.. after 2 month you can BTT..

This makes more sense..

I can not find the post can someone send me a link?

I drop out of the kaiser club  4 years ago.. no regrets...I think they are below the members to support the club in dues..

IMG_6464[26485].JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

OK.........Just my two cents...........I understand some people over bump their ads..........but there is once VERY important issue that these ads help to determine...........the current market for the car hobby. I regularly look at ads by Matt Harwood, Brass is Best, and others to get the temperature and direction of the market segment the car they are selling is performing. I think a bump once every certain set time is fine..............I have found many great cars, parts, and goodies on this site........I hate to see anything restrict posting. I also understand why there is the rule. Ed

• Like 2

It appears Peters pulling all the Not Mine ads up into the new Not Mine subforum has helped tremendously in keeping actual members ads more to the top, so maybe that will negate the need for totally restricting bumps to the top. Guess we will see.

Guess we can just leave our thanks here to Peter for the new subforum up in the AACA Cars for Sale forum.  Thanks @Peter Gariepy

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Bumps were never really a problem in my estimation. But the number of Not Mines seemed to have increased (partly due to the increasing sales market maybe) and were pushing members posts onto the next page,  so yea, IMO I think we’re back to normal now. If it does begin being a problem, a simple “please limit bumping your ad to no less than 72 hours” or similar in the Buy/Sale rules may be in order. 
Thanks for giving this your attention and handling 

• Like 2

The "Not Mine" category is good--just like a category

called "Leads" in other venues.

However, I didn't see a problem with the typical bumping

of ads--except when one person bumped dozens.  Just

about all of the not-mine cars for sale were very actively

watched, because the cars chosen were often interesting

and realistically priced.  People commented on them, and

often the original poster would update the listing, telling

of a new link or a reduced price, or that a car was sold.

I know that I started following the for-sale category 

much more closely when many more cars were listed.

Now I'll just move my attention to the active "Not Mine" category.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:28 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

Feedback?

The description of the "Not Mine" category says that

listings will be purged regularly.  It would be much more

helpful to our members if the listings were not purged,

but were kept indefinitely, just as in all the other Buy-Sell

categories.

Why?  Some cars don't get sold.  I have called about a

car for sale a year after its ad, and it was still available.

Our members have been taking pains to get the seller's

contact information copied into the ads, whenever it's

available, so an interested car fan can check much later

after the listing comes out---just as he could from a

Hemmings Motor News ad.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The description of the "Not Mine" category says that

listings will be purged regularly.  It would be much more

helpful to our members if the listings were not purged,

but were kept indefinitely, just as in all the other Buy-Sell

categories.

As is the case, i see many time that the ad is no longer valid.

ZERO reason to keep that listing.

I also want think "No My" posts need to have long life.  6 month seems PLENTY. 
Craigslist ads die after 30 days - yes, they get relisted but generally are dead after a few months.

Ebay ads die after 2 weeks.  yes, they get relisted but generally are dead after a few months.

• Like 1