Old tools

zeke01

19 minutes ago, Real Steel said:

Blue Point Hub puller. 

Shown being used on my 1930 Ford Pickup,

and shown in the 1933 Snap-On / Blue Point catalog.

I love this tool and the way it oozes Quality.

BP HP 01.JPG

BP HP 02.JPG

BP HP No 429 - 1933 Catalog page 82.jpg

I don’t understand that tool... what I mean is... I don’t understand why I don’t own that tool. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JustDave said:

Does anyone have a vintage steering wheel puller the kind that fits under the steering wheel that they want to sell,been watching eBay nothing available yet

Sorry, the best ones I have seen are home maid. Zeke

1 hour ago, James Wright said:

Don't ask me to identify this, other than it's an old jack, or ask where it came from. My favorite daughter found it somewhere and knew I'd like it. If anyone can shed any light on it, go for it. 

Looks like a wagon jack, is there a date on it ?

20200406_215235.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James Wright said:

Don't ask me to identify this, other than it's an old jack, or ask where it came from. My favorite daughter found it somewhere and knew I'd like it. If anyone can shed any light on it, go for it. 

20200406_215235.jpg

This may be missing a pawl, or something that hooks in the holes. Although perhaps it is designed to take the full lift in one stroke, without walking up the column.

A similar (heavier) Australian version is the Trewallah Jack. Lifts wagons, trucks, railway lines, buildings, etc. I have retired this in favour of one of the new-fangled Hi-Lift jacks.

Back to the OP. I'd be lost without my leg vise.  I grew up with them, and still use it most days.

IMG_5334.JPG

IMG_5335.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Interesting.

Antique-Cast-Iron-Wagon-Jack.jpg

Antique cast Iron wagon jack, Elite Mfg. Co., Ashland, Oh. C 1910-20s. Base is 4" x 7", 18 1/2" tall, 

( I know it's not the same, but it is similar, so Wagon Jack seems correct )

You guys are good. Seems it could be either a "wagon jack" or an  "axle jack". Upon closer inspection it says "Ashland Mfg. Co." on one side and "Ashland O." on the other.  It also says "2TS". I assume that means 2 tons. Karl you're also right about the missing piece. Something like a pin needs to go in the hole to hold it between strokes. It only lifts one click at a time. It will keep its prominent place next to the fireplace which also never gets used. 

11 hours ago, gossp said:

I don’t understand that tool... what I mean is... I don’t understand why I don’t own that tool. 

I sold one of those a couple years ago once I found the factory one for my car, sadly I think the BluePoint tool worked better.

Here’s a picture of some of my Ford “Z” tools, the hub puller is in the top center. I also have several of the Stevens tools for the T Fords and a hand cranked coil tester on my bench that I rarely use but would have a very hard time parting with.

A9503CBD-E1FB-48B8-9722-0BE0E8C7EC1C.jpeg

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)

10 hours ago, James Wright said:

20200406_215235.jpg

It’s called a tire saver. You fit it under the hubcap to hold your tires off the ground when the car is put up for the winter.  A very early tool from the time when the snow was rolled and you used a horse and sleigh in the winter months. You need to find three more, it takes 4 to make a set.

OOPS, I am a bit late with this... should have read the whole thread before commenting!

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)

6 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Interesting.

Antique-Cast-Iron-Wagon-Jack.jpg

Antique cast Iron wagon jack, Elite Mfg. Co., Ashland, Oh. C 1910-20s. Base is 4" x 7", 18 1/2" tall, 

( I know it's not the same, but it is similar, so Wagon Jack seems correct )

Thanks Mark.  You just confirmed what other have said. At least I can have a more intelligent conversation when people ask. Couldn't you just jack the car up the jack and put jack stands under it?

This little hand vise sits in the top shelf of my to go toolbox. It is great for holding small parts, but its primary use by me is for clamping fuel lines. I am small engine mechanic. 

3ZktJ6IJk6ipv2Qm0lZ-fT4zx8vZUon6BCNU_Et3jEE2guzLnAm-rACC6f4fPQ_iygdTx-F7wi76yktPiVd5SC0jZay1QaAF4XMPOILlLVUzQXiswFL8eBjAJizBqBDceBJBVKgsvj8_hPZg5BsFyKEQub0PEi8421LUCwMhMCQrrxLvjOPtHPvwzpKVciPBjV9m3bX4wjzXRmKXfXqj3ucjRHZdQ5hhHcOsKEgqIO_CuMGitn30etEvQ_dO6R8z114k_QmoA9j3lkqjfxE8QiiqcY1aQOFusD-5un6hHwPp4inN4Pb50zfouGKWhRbb_NEirIL4xVu-C8xPPEcepRP24XqV7k04cRIA5SL30kWuuqI4OhTubyazl9Sx-plw8Dp_K1ATsik12r-xh5p1IQDuJpMB210NBx4EiiIjN9iFMfhEtesZH4mBEMkB8T67W-V1wEKA8oQ99GQ0qN9VhGXeH0cS-QCkm4a3ARhj7JDuWTdePcZl-J-cf9uAu41QtRDFMu2HsR48hopUd01FdFccK89haJYXJLbB4yMzU6VxZV0T8vabzjtcT5dOrUE6R9sS1G0fHo2mX_4l8Mk3Jdg0Ma3gTVTfrQ0GbkdZtISAp6CtaQpG73iaMELgo83p62UyrHglYlcyVth2ymeVEDK9H9fv6toR_fkThJGeDYi4Thg15NdY1ZdzE4R2=w370-h657-no

This old Chevrolet valve lash adjuster was given to me by our local Snap-On tool dealer , who found it in an old mechanic's stash of tools. It sure is handy for it's intended purpose. Made by the Owattonna Tool Co. of Owattonna,Minn.

IMG_1636.JPG

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 1