Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

18 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Got up early today for a 50 mile ride in a 1930 Pierce Arrow 7 passenger touring car.   Went 50 MPH on the flat roads

Not too shabby sir! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 69merc said:

Not too shabby sir! 

Climbing the mountains where the speed limit is 35 MPG and modern cars drive it a 55, we pulled over several times to let

them get to work on time.   Like we always say on tours,   "We're cute for 3 seconds, then we're in the way".   When they get 

home, they might say "I  passed a Model T today". 

We all had a good time an where safe the whole time!

IMG_04851.JPG.72a5b45de51542f04dc004ea3324ff77.JPG

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

85 degrees here today but clear skies and a slight breeze.   A friend and I did almost 70 miles in my Stearns.  He did the driving so it was very relaxing for me.  The car is running on pump gas now instead of racing fuel and we started to get some vapor locking on the way home.   Either that or the new fuel pump is giving out.   The line into the carb was so hot you could not touch so we are definitely thinking vapor lock.  

Had lunch at a restaurant on the ocean.  Not a lot of cars on the back roads.

IMG_5117.jpg

IMG_5116.jpg

• Like 15

Posted (edited)

I did couple of brief (+/- 15- 20 mile each) road tests with a '72 V12 Ferrari Berlinetta and a '60 Chrysler 300F Hardtop earlier today, but that was just work and I wanted to be done before the ambient outside temperature, which in the afternoon reached close 100*, not to mention traffic, made it less enjoyable.

Both offered delightful, but interestingly & vastly different driving experiences. 

Sorry, no pictures.

@alsancle That's a very handsome car you got there ^^.

While not authentic/OEM, but have you thought of adding an auxiliary electric pump to alleviate/prevent vapor locking, if/when needed ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TTR said:

@alsancle That's a very handsome car you got there ^^.

While not authentic/OEM, but have you thought of adding an auxiliary electric pump to alleviate/prevent vapor locking, if/when needed ?

Electric pump was how we made it home.  I think the combination of the low octane pump gas and such a long ride surfaced the issue.  The gas line continued to heat up.   The first 30 miles we ran on the mechanical pump no problem.   It gradually got worse over the last 1/2 of the ride.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Electric pump was how we made it home.  I think the combination of the low octane pump gas and such a long ride surfaced the issue.  The gas line continued to heat up.   The first 30 miles we ran on the mechanical pump no problem.   It gradually got worse over the last 1/2 of the ride.

That's not unusual. My Lincoln is usually good for the first 30-40 minutes, but after that it needs the pump. It just reaches a saturation point temperature-wise and there's nothing to be done about it. I don't look at it as a failure of the machinery, it's a failure of the fuel.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

That's not unusual. My Lincoln is usually good for the first 30-40 minutes, but after that it needs the pump. It just reaches a saturation point temperature-wise and there's nothing to be done about it. I don't look at it as a failure of the machinery, it's a failure of the fuel.

I just need to run it cold now and if it runs fine on the mechanical pump then 100% it was vapor lock.   There is a possibility the mechanical pump failed although it was just rebuilt.

Matt's articulated vapor lock or boiled fuel about as well as could be.  Very different vehicles yet all susceptible at a certain saturation point.  Hence the electric pump.  Not buying "something else is wrong, the pump is a crutch" when basics check out and cooling system is sound.  Clearly with today's gas you need that help.  

4 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Not buying "something else is wrong, the pump is a crutch" when basics check out and cooling system is sound.  Clearly with today's gas you need that help.  

You mean the ethanol laced gas? I won't put that in my car.  So far my trips have been less than a tank. I put the leaded racing gas in my high compression 429. (10.5:1), if I can't get that at least the E0 stuff, with octane boost. My longest trip is about an hour so far (one way) But if I had to, I would plan my trip to be Around where E0 is sold. 

I got my Hudson out for Denton NC Threshers Reunion. It’s always a good time and always something interesting to see. Unfortunately I don’t have much or any information on the stuff that isn’t mine. But some cool pictures. IMG_4404.jpeg.44411be3a13e7742a347df777690724b.jpeg IMG_4385.jpeg.f6ede0abbcf3ff3498a89b0990fdef86.jpegIMG_4412.jpeg.968dfd69a7f4f0bef2a2153836416748.jpegIMG_4398.jpeg.ecc87cf82306f8886bd2b8596c8d4d52.jpeg

• Like 13

JohnS25, Your third photo is a 1912/'13 IHC model MW. One of the most popular high wheel automobiles for driving on 1 & 2 cylinder tours.

I sure do like those big "Oil Pull" tractors!

Thank you for sharing the photos! 

And I sure do like that Hudson!

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

JohnS25, Your third photo is a 1912/'13 IHC model MW. One of the most popular high wheel automobiles for driving on 1 & 2 cylinder tours.

I sure do like those big "Oil Pull" tractors!

Thank you for sharing the photos! 

And I sure do like that Hudson!

Then here’s another picture  and some information on the Bates Corless engine behind it. It is a great event and almost everything is up and running and they do demonstrations hourly. IMG_4411.jpeg.f799178c7c03febf0b96fa2fa5e29d3d.jpeg

IMG_4413.jpeg.1c2523f0fccc6793174ba79169c81528.jpeg

IMG_4442.jpeg.4506e3d3128b53f03132b002982c611e.jpeg

Edited by JohnS25 (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for that John S25! I had tried looking at that engine behind the IHC, but couldn't see enough of it. I knew it was something wonderful! Happy to see the information behind it.

• Thanks 2

It was a beautiful day today and I decided to take my Cadillac for a short twenty mile drive in the afternoon. It was the first time out since I encountered a vapor lock problem.

I have a speedometer app on my iPhone and - to my surprise - the car speedometer and it agreed to within a half mile per hour. The speedometers on most of the old cars I have owned lied through there teeth.

Today, the car ran just fine for the first 19 miles. Got lots of waves and a few thumbs up. Near home, I got stuck in heavy traffic and finally got stuck at a long traffic light. Sure enough, once I pulled away from the light the car started showing effects of a bit of vapor lock. I’m really beginning to hate ethanol gas. However, I made it home safely and then decided to wash and wax the car. 

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

• Like 20

12 hours ago, pmhowe said:

It was a beautiful day today and I decided to take my Cadillac for a short twenty mile drive in the afternoon. It was the first time out since I encountered a vapor lock problem.

I have a speedometer app on my iPhone and - to my surprise - the car speedometer and it agreed to within a half mile per hour. The speedometers on most of the old cars I have owned lied through there teeth.

Today, the car ran just fine for the first 19 miles. Got lots of waves and a few thumbs up. Near home, I got stuck in heavy traffic and finally got stuck at a long traffic light. Sure enough, once I pulled away from the light the car started showing effects of a bit of vapor lock. I’m really beginning to hate ethanol gas. However, I made it home safely and then decided to wash and wax the car. 

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

Nice Cadillac!  My 38 Cadillac is also having vapor lock issues. 1st I’m Going to replace the ethanol gas with non-ethanol. Luckily I have 3 sources nearby. Are you doing any other things to solve the problem?  Mine came with an electric fuel pump so that hasn’t helped much 

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)

52 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Fortunately I have not had any fuel vapor lock issues. But I have to wonder, with these older cars. Are the fuel lines insulated at all and would that even help?

No and probably not.    

It is just a case of "progress" in my opinion.   The last carbureted car was about 1984.   For the last 40 years gasoline , with or without ethanol,  has  been formulated to be under pressure.  Lots of it!  It does not like HOT  and  LOW  pressure conditions.  Todays gasoline, with and without ethanol,  works fantastically for what it is designed for.   That is the reason my "old car"  has no carburetor.

Ben

• Like 2

We probably need a separate current thread on vapor lock issues as many of us don't have ready access to good gas any longer and although the topic is not new I have heard of some innovative ideas lately.  We should try to compile a list for mutual consideration.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

We probably need a separate current thread on vapor lock issues as many of us don't have ready access to good gas any longer and although the topic is not new I have heard of some innovative ideas lately.  We should try to compile a list for mutual consideration.

There are many threads on this.   Scattered everywhere.  This is the most recent and heavily trafficked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks AJ,  I won’t try clothes pins, but there was one reply on that thread that has a potential solution that makes sense and is not voodo science 

5 hours ago, CChinn said:

Nice Cadillac!  My 38 Cadillac is also having vapor lock issues. 1st I’m Going to replace the ethanol gas with non-ethanol. Luckily I have 3 sources nearby. Are you doing any other things to solve the problem?  Mine came with an electric fuel pump so that hasn’t helped much 

At a minimum, remove the fuel line between the pump and carb, insulate the line with "Cool Tape" from performance parts supplier (I do a diagonal wrap with 50% overlap within an inch of each fitting to allow for future removal), then cover with asphalted wire loom material.  The next step would be to install reflective heat shield material between exhaust manifold and fuel line using intake manifold bolts.  Sorry, don't have photos or the 1939 Cad 75 of happy memory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a tough subject. To have any meaningful discussion you have to define what vapor lock is. Not all heat related failures to proceed are the same. You need to know what you have. It is easier said than done.

Although vapor lock has MOSTLY been defined on this forum as fuel boiling in the suction line between the tank and the fuel pump, due to radiated heat from the pavement, several other things are possible. Things such as fuel boiling in the fuel pump, fuel boiling in the fuel pump which forces the liquid fuel in the carburetor line past the float valve running the carburetor over, fuel boiling in the line between the fuel pump and the carburetor, fuel boiling in the carburetor, or percolation in the carburetor causing fuel from the bowl to be emptied into the intake. More than one of these things can be happening at the same time. Typically no one knows which condition or conditions they have. In most cases, how would you know that? The cure that works for one person may have no effect for the next person.

I do have one bit of advice. Nitpick the sealing of the check valves in your fuel pump, and make absolutely sure there are absolutely no leaks in your suction line from the tank to the fuel pump. Leaks on the suction side will often not show wet, defying logic.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, pmhowe said:

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

Beautiful car.

And that’s a lot of real estate to wash and wax. My shoulders are sore just looking at it. 

John

• Like 2

I run non-ethanol fuel (91 octane) in all of my old cars.  Even so, I can hear the fuel boiling inside the carburetor on my '38 Buick if I open the hood and put my ear next to the carburetor after taking a drive...

Took out the ‘35 for a few miles this week.  Although I’ll be swapping it out with the ‘34 soon so I can drive that one more.  (Ask the man who owns one, or two in this case.)

IMG_9057.jpeg.7971b64dbc5367fb070138a415ab5c72.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

Took out the ‘35 for a few miles this week.  Although I’ll be swapping it out with the ‘34 soon so I can drive that one more.  (Ask the man who owns one, or two in this case.)

IMG_9057.jpeg.7971b64dbc5367fb070138a415ab5c72.jpeg

That is a beauty.

• Like 1

IMG_1641.jpeg.ec01519efd598b87f067880761d09738.jpegIt’s Peach Week in Moore County, NC this week. A good opportunity to take the ‘53 Packard on a drive to pick up some fresh peaches and peach ice cream at the Kalawi Farms roadside stand off NC 211 in Candor, NC. A nice 25 mi drive on a 2 lane Hwy flanked by trees, horse farms and agricultural fields. The peaches by the way were nice and juicy!

• Like 9

Took our Galaxie out today,it needed the exercise. Pictures are at Monksville reservoir in Ringwood NJ. That  blond just keeps getting in my photos 😎. Put about 30 miles and got some fresh gas. 

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2115.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Brass is Best's title of this thread said it perfectly: A great day for ride in the country. What could be better than cool temperatures, blue skies, no rain, winding roads, rolling hills, and a car that is running perfectly?

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, pmhowe said:

Brass is Best's title of this thread said it perfectly: A great day for ride in the country. What could be better than cool temperatures, blue skies, no rain, winding roads, rolling hills, and a car that is running perfectly?

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

Agreed, we ride the Smokies all the time too.

IMG_86181.JPG.ec3e35475dd515c65b914239430b32c0.JPG

• Like 8