Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Great period photo of the Saxon-Duplex and showing the accessory passenger available on special order at extra cost. NOW we know what to add to a car like that if it gets invited to attend one of the fancy concours events that car owners stand in line to beg to go to. Ya know the one in California the other in Georgia etc. This combination would be just excellent to present on that show field of the concours.  I am sure that there were special bags,shovels engraved with the cars name on it that were used to pick up the "souvenirs" left by the mascot that you see in the car.  😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have seen a fair number of era photos of the fake wheel discs mounted over wooden spoke wheels. But seeing them on a non-Ford is surprising! I always figured it must have been done some, but it doesn't seem to have been a popular idea for non-Fords. The early Saxon runabouts are rather common. However later Saxon automobiles seem to be fairly rare. I cannot recall that I have ever seen one later than 1917 in person.

The wooden wheel covers for Fords, and I would guess other cars as well, came in a variety of qualities and fit. Some better and more expensive sets had both outer and inner steel discs that would entirely cover the wooden wheels. When the car and wheels were new, that may have been alright. With age, I would worry that totally covering the wooden spokes could allow contamination to weaken the wood and being hidden they could in several years become unsafe and being hidden might not be noticed. Remember, I love wooden spoke wheels and often jump to their defense when people post against them for safety concerns. But covering them up so that they cannot be routinely inspected? Bad idea. Especially when the wheels are nearly a hundred years old.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have seen a fair number of era photos of the fake wheel discs mounted over wooden spoke wheels. But seeing them on a non-Ford is surprising! I always figured it must have been done some, but it doesn't seem to have been a popular idea for non-Fords. The early Saxon runabouts are rather common. However later Saxon automobiles seem to be fairly rare. I cannot recall that I have ever seen one later than 1917 in person.

The wooden wheel covers for Fords, and I would guess other cars as well, came in a variety of qualities and fit. Some better and more expensive sets had both outer and inner steel discs that would entirely cover the wooden wheels. When the car and wheels were new, that may have been alright. With age, I would worry that totally covering the wooden spokes could allow contamination to weaken the wood and being hidden they could in several years become unsafe and being hidden might not be noticed. Remember, I love wooden spoke wheels and often jump to their defense when people post against them for safety concerns. But covering them up so that they cannot be routinely inspected? Bad idea. Especially when the wheels are nearly a hundred years old.

If you are referring to the Saxon Duplex, those are real discs, not just spoke covers.

4 hours ago, keiser31 said:

If you are referring to the Saxon Duplex, those are real discs, not just spoke covers.

Look closely at the era photo with the man in a swimsuit,  keiser31, at the inside of the left front wheel. You can see the wooden spokes on the inside of the outer steel discs!

The other tipoff, is looking straight down the outside of the right front wheel. The disc does have some decorative "rings" and ridges, as most commercially sold discs did have. But the discs are not as deeply dished as actual steel disc wheels were done. 

The era picture with the horse in the back seat does have real steel disc wheels. Even in the nearly straight in view of the wheels, the deeper dishing of the wheels can still be seen. I would expect that Saxon would have offered steel disc wheels as an option, most smaller producers did during the 1920s. Several wheel manufacturers offered wheels and hubs to fit almost any car, and offered them so readily to small manufacturers that the manufacturers couldn't afford to not offer the wheels.

Look at the car below. A modified model T Ford racing car being raced. Several photos taken that day show this same car and others kicking up a lot of dust! This closeup is actually cut out of a much larger view with a couple other cars, and has been copied and shared many times over the years because it clearly shows the commercially sold outer steel disc wheel covers. Also note similarities to the discs on the "swim suit Saxon".

Thank you keiser31 for furthering the discussion on this interesting detail. And a mostly forgotten era detail it is.

234005-1.jpg

Merry Christmas!  Here's the Actress Pauline Starke about to be picked up in her 1926 Packard 8 with Coachwork by Murphy. The notes on the back said her shoes matched the polished belt line of the car!  She has an IMDB page, and it looks like her in this photo.  Not sure the location - looks like a hotel, maybe what is now the Langham in Pasadena?  Not far from Murphy body.  

1926PackardMurphyTCPaulineStarke.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Look closely at the era photo with the man in a swimsuit,  keiser31, at the inside of the left front wheel. You can see the wooden spokes on the inside of the outer steel discs!

The other tipoff, is looking straight down the outside of the right front wheel. The disc does have some decorative "rings" and ridges, as most commercially sold discs did have. But the discs are not as deeply dished as actual steel disc wheels were done. 

The era picture with the horse in the back seat does have real steel disc wheels. Even in the nearly straight in view of the wheels, the deeper dishing of the wheels can still be seen. I would expect that Saxon would have offered steel disc wheels as an option, most smaller producers did during the 1920s. Several wheel manufacturers offered wheels and hubs to fit almost any car, and offered them so readily to small manufacturers that the manufacturers couldn't afford to not offer the wheels.

Look at the car below. A modified model T Ford racing car being raced. Several photos taken that day show this same car and others kicking up a lot of dust! This closeup is actually cut out of a much larger view with a couple other cars, and has been copied and shared many times over the years because it clearly shows the commercially sold outer steel disc wheel covers. Also note similarities to the discs on the "swim suit Saxon".

Thank you keiser31 for furthering the discussion on this interesting detail. And a mostly forgotten era detail it is.

234005-1.jpg

I see that, now! I guess I should use my glasses more.

7 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

Santa's been into the wassail bowl if he can't even spell Christmas!

Good catch GFtE aka ocf! 

For clarification for the benefit of those not familiar with the era. Kodak (and I think a few others?) offered an "Autographic" line of cameras ranging in size, that had a small door on the back and a steel pencil that would mark the film rather crudely. This enabled the person to label and identify photos taken by making marks that would show up as black scratches on the negative, and then white "writing" on the developed picture. The "door"/"window" was small, and tricky to use. And spelling errors were common due to the difficulty in writing in them. One cannot actually see what one is writing while writing it.

Whether this was actually the case on this particular photo or maybe someone wrote in black ink on the actual negative is difficult to know? Usually, the Autographic writing is nearer the bottom of the photo once developed. However, placing the writing farther up could be accomplished by rolling the film slightly?

Perhaps someone here that knows more about photography and its history than I do can clarify something for me? I do have a couple Autographic cameras and even the special "pencil", and have used the cameras a few times years ago. But I never did try to write on the film myself.

I have been told by a couple people many years ago that one had to write backwards onto the film to get forward writing on the print? But I do not know if that is true or not? Maybe old urban legend?

Just me. Trying to share some of what I spent most of my life learning. And still trying to learn even more.

12 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

Santa's been into the wassail bowl if he can't even spell Christmas!

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

For clarification for the benefit of those not familiar with the era. Kodak (and I think a few others?) offered an "Autographic" line of cameras ranging in size, that had a small door on the back and a steel pencil that would mark the film rather crudely. This enabled the person to label and identify photos taken by making marks that would show up as black scratches on the negative, and then white "writing" on the developed picture.

Its interesting that the caption is actually in english. That photo was taken at a logging depot camp at Churchill Lake near the Maine/Quebec border. The vast majority of the workers and thier families were French-Canadian. English was a decidedly second language and a rarity to hear. One old gentleman, who worked as a scaler for Great Northern Paper Company on that particular operation related to me how he went the entire winter without hearing a single word of English.

They did have a state sponsered school. (see "Nine Mile Bridge" by Helen Hamlin) Helen Hamlin was a teacher there, married a Game Warden and later wrote about her experiences. Its a very good read.

11..jpg.187117eae8df0e4d470337d27f38b12c.jpg

Stacking pulpwood on the ice of Churchill Lake.

26..jpg.71cf23785cbdcfb9d54241bbb95c30d6.jpg

View of Churchill Depot from on top of a pulpwood pile. Big long building on the right is the tractor shed. to left of the end of the dam is the boarding house and horse barn. Blacksmith shop is in the right foreground. 

06.jpg.fee31068999c420fa2c5e9e7dfc38310.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WOW Terry, THANKS for this - what a great Christmas present to see . Incredible history

Makes you appreciate all the hand labor that was the way it was several generations ago.  I just love this kind of stuff that generates a whole new picture book of what was taking place.

Walt

• Like 1

Is the photo of the street scene in NY City? the license plates are a light color with dark letters/numbers which may be what NY state had at the time   Just look at those magnificent street lights , wow, would I like to have one of those next to my garage and functional!

18 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

#art deco from Art Deco Architecture

Note that on this 1930 Lincoln model L that the brake drums are a light color, and the gas tank, chassis seem to be the color of the body and fenders as well.

this was a lot of effort to do when the car was being built - not paint it black, but was done for some cars that would be shown in showrooms and especially at the custom body salons in NY,Chicago, LA, and San Francisco. A 1931 Franklin victoria brougham I had that had a Derham body and was built for the salons in NY and Chicago had the fender/hood color on the axles,springs, brake drums as well to carry on the theme/flow of the car and not see it stopped by a black painted part.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Early RG&E photo 

plant.jpg

Hmmm. I think that is a 1933 Plymouth Standard 6 (PCXX) on the lower right.

29 minutes ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello Dave,

Are we supposed to know who "RG&E" was?

Truck says “Let Electricity Do Your Work” so I am guessing it would be R something Gas & Electric. Maybe Rochester Gas & Electric?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Walt G said:

A 1931 Franklin victoria brougham I had that had a Derham body and was built for the salons in NY and Chicago had the fender/hood color on the axles,springs, brake drums as well to carry on the theme/flow of the car and not see it stopped by a black painted part.

All it needed were some color-matched tires:  

21 hours ago, ply33 said:

Truck says “Let Electricity Do Your Work” so I am guessing it would be R something Gas & Electric. Maybe Rochester Gas & Electric?

Yes, R, G & E is Rochester Gas & Electric, Rochester, New York.  The car next to the 1933 Plymouth Standard 6 (PCXX) (thanks, ply33), is a 1933 Essex Terraplane Standard Coach.  Chances are these were part of the meter-reader fleet cars.

Edited by 58L-Y8
syntax corrected (see edit history)
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, ply33 said:

it is Rochester Gas and Electric. This photo was taken at their Front Street area. This area included the mechanics shop, wash bays, etc. To the left behind the building is the Genesee River. RG&E has since been bought out by different conglomerates and presently owned by Avangrid.

Edited by ALF1920 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1