Could these pass for 85 y.o. photos ?

C Carl

Sepia toning and "noise" would age it just fine. I've posted this photo before.I took it about 18 months age at the local pioneer village.My '25 Buick was first owned by a doctor,as was the house in the village.The "doctor " just happened to be in.

1925 Buick sepia niose.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

I used the same filter on this one of my '21 Chevy fresh out of the paint shop back in 1981. Again,they were rarely shiny after driving the roads of the day.

Negatives 1 003 (2).JPG

That looks great and almost a silver tone to it like original photos.

I don't mean to hog this thread,but recreating vintage photos is a side hobby of mine. This is my friend's '29 Hupmobile roadster,complete with golf clubs. I should have removed the display sign first !

004 (2).JPG

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Sometimes my modern digital camera will only take black & white pictures.

Considering that new cars apparently only come in black, white, and shades of grey or silver, it's kind of a moot point.

28 minutes ago, padgett said:

For me the depth of field is the clue. Also 100 years ago people were mostly not that well fed, knew how to shave, and rarely smiled. Brownies had fixed focus and took square photos.

Yeah. I told my wife she was too happy to be a gangster's moll ! Well fed ?!!  Gravity caused my chest to fall, that's all .

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

Period aircraft can make a nice backdrop, but sometimes can make the photo look cluttered. I tried to get around that with this picture. Both the Packard and Yale trainer are 1940 models.

Packard - Yale - BW (2).jpg

Packard - Yale.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

To me all of these look modern,  but I couldn't explain why.   

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I did this one of my 1931 DB coupe a while ago....

16309_10203555201299597_5121953193480179561_n.jpg

Keiser's good photo of his 1931 Dodge looks newer to me,

and let me explain how I figure it:

The 1931 car is like-new condition.  If this were an old picture, then,

the picture would have been taken around 1931 or 1932.  The house

is a style that would have been built from the late 'Teens into the early 1930's.

The house would have been little over 10 years old, at most, in 1931;

yet its yard is unkempt and the building looks quite worn--

unlike a 10-year-old house.

In contrast, below is a picture from about 1895 with a Duryea:

the Victorian house looks brand-new!

1895 Duryea from Horseless Age.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

With what you fellows are doing, curious as to what you think my Whippet would look like done that way?

I don't have a photo shop program to try (as if I have time for that anyway...)

463588753_WindsorAirportOpenHouse-Sept292012-pic8-Copy(2).thumb.JPG.41dac5a4912e9cdabd8132704838d4e5.JPG

Yes that is an actual fully restored certified flying Lancaster Bomber based in Hamilton, Ontario Canada. They flew into Windsor for an Air Show and antique cars were let in with prior permission.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

Yes, absolutely - 85 years from today......

I liked what a few have done to recent pictures like J.H.Boland  did with his Packard shot and as stated, just curious tinted, browned (however it was done) what the Whippet would look like given the background. 

Packard - Yale - BW (2).jpg

1 hour ago, dei said:

With what you fellows are doing, curious as to what you think my Whippet would look like done that way?

I don't have a photo shop program to try (as if I have time for that anyway...)

463588753_WindsorAirportOpenHouse-Sept292012-pic8-Copy(2).thumb.JPG.41dac5a4912e9cdabd8132704838d4e5.JPG

Yes that is an actual fully restored certified flying Lancaster Bomber based in Hamilton, Ontario Canada. They flew into Windsor for an Air Show and antique cars were let in with prior permission.

Doug,

This was a fast attempt:

463588753_WindsorAirportOpenHouse-Sept292012-pic8-Copy(2).thumb.JPG.41dac5a4912e9cdabd8132704838d4e5.jpg

• Like 1

I like the way Brass is Best made the lawn chairs disappear in a cloud of dust. I'm not clever enough with photo shop to remove the historic licence plate or dull it down. A filter helps reduce the glare and give it that 1940's album look.

Jim

Whippet.jpg

• Like 3

I think it best, when taking period photos, not to include people as thy are a dead giveaway for modern photos. Mainly because one cannot really capture the period look. Hair cuts aren't authentic, clothing doesn't fit right or look correct. Usually too, the cars just look too new or too fancy, especially with the whitewalls. Of course, this is just my opinion.

• Like 1

These are all good points.   All the pictures except for the single period one just don't look right.   I guess there are probably many factors.   Expensive in period whitewalls on an economy car is a definite giveway.   Also,  the condition of the cars is like they were brand new,  when 99 percent of the time in a real photo they are beat to crap.

This Stearns picture was taken in 1948 or thereabouts just before the car was put in a barn for 60 years.    It is good for comparison on all the points you guys are making.

1928StearnsKnight.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate what you are all saying and the attempts to touch up my Whippet picture. I still like how it looks touched up but see the points spelled out about white walls and tones etc.

Here is an authentic old picture of Dad's Hupmobile taken during the War.

Mom thought he was a pretty dapper guy when they met on a blind date.

145903721_1930HupmobileCentury6-Copy.thumb.jpg.01ae2a330c54fcd2e9b747f7aa7c41dd.jpg