What are you working on right now?

Cleaned up a mess in the workshop, I had something fall over and tip my oil drain drum.  Dumped about 6-8 quarts of used oil on the floor.  Spent 2 hours with kitty litter, a brick, and a dust pan. 

02447BCC-924E-4B85-B23F-22D8BCA51EEC.jpeg.896c97363735322828cf3ef5b427367c.jpeg

Tomorrow morning I will crank up my new TIG welding outfit and start practicing.  I have some aluminum and steel to weld.  Wish me luck!  

• Like 2

My 98 Cummins 24 valve engine in my truck. Something is up. I have low power, no boost from idle.  Slow to accelerate. I pressurized the intake system. I found an air leak in the intake manifold. I repaired that. Pressurized it again and found no leaks. Yet the initial problem still persists. Replaced fuel filter. No better. Making good fuel pressure. Suspecting a possible bad ground somewhere. Or maybe the turbo boost pressure sensor. We’ll see. I’d rather work on and drive my 1938 cars!

EBA641FB-5DA1-4016-8E98-75ED8A0A1184.jpeg

• Like 1

My neighbor had a fuel issue with his Dodge and he had a heck of a time trying to figure it out too.  Come to find out their is a fuel actuator on the drivers side of the engine with a rubber boot over a shaft and the rubber boot got stuck in the solenoid part of it and was causing issues.  Something to check. 

• Like 1

Had recent Hernia surgery and I am doing some low impact things prior to being able to be crawling under the 1925 Buick Master to finish my rear axle brake work.

I had the rear carpet and footrest re-done. I installed yesterday evening.

DSC00346.JPG.c9febb5d074154848431a41d98fa22de.JPG

DSC00347.JPG.0c46dbe959a64dba2010363222909ece.JPG

• Like 6

Team effort today…….while I finished basic assembly and preparation of my Model T motor for installation my wonderful wife came out to the shop and waxed our Miata. Possible top down weather approaching here by the end of next week so we wish to be ready for the driving season.

D31F4ACE-35C3-47C8-95F8-5932CA86B377.jpeg

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Team effort today…….while I finished basic assembly and preparation of my Model T motor for installation my wonderful wife came out to the shop and waxed our Miata. Possible top down weather approaching here by the end of next week so we wish to be ready for the driving season.

D31F4ACE-35C3-47C8-95F8-5932CA86B377.jpeg

you are disgusting!!   My house is not so neat!😁.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it was warmer I was planning on removing the 70's era pre cell phone from a recently purchased 1976 Corvette. This phone has been in the car since almost new. But it doesn't work. Since it's currently -8 C here I'll wait til Monday! Then I have a ton of other stuff to do to it before it's on the road again. Has been in long term storage. Got it running last week with a new fuel pump and battery, just not much brakes yet.

76vet 001.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This morning I installed my new LED lights for the shop.  I bought the frosted type so they are not so harsh when you look at them.  They are bright and I can see what I'm working on know.  It's a nice bright white and not that yellow tint.  All in $159 for 12 bulbs from the Zon.

IMG_6979.JPG

IMG_6980.JPG

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 5

What am I working on today? Two cars and a “in house museum project.” Car #1, Individual Custom Dietrich Packard Sport Sedan, Car #2 Model J one off Murphy Town Limo built for G Whittell Jr, and #3 cleaning the toilets for the visitors rest rooms, as well as my own. It’s not all Hollywood here in the shop!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

What am I working on today? Two cars and a “in house museum project.” Car #1, Individual Custom Dietrich Packard Sport Sedan, Car #2 Model J one off Murphy Town Limo built for G Whittell Jr, and #3 cleaning the toilets for the visitors rest rooms, as well as my own. It’s not all Hollywood here in the shop!

Some people have “the” glamour jobs…….I mean the cars, son! No matter what you do……you keep us very entertained……

• Like 1

A bit off topic but a follow up from a previous post.

News Center Maine aired the segment from their day of filming at the museum. Producer Don Carrigan and Photo Journalist Kirk Cratty did an excellent job and it was a lot of fun working with them. Excellent day!

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 8

17 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

A bit off topic but a follow up from a previous post.

News Center Maine aired the segment from their day of filming at the museum. Producer Don Carrigan and Photo Journalist Kirk Cratty did an excellent job and it was a lot of fun working with them. Excellent day!

Great video!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished with the Model T “refresh” winter project. The project consisted of 1) installing a starter 2) refresh transmission 3) replace cracked center main bearing cap 4) adjust rods and mains 5) new valves. Also did a myriad of minor changes, fixes and adjustments. Had it on the road today and I am very pleased with the end results. I will also NEVER undertake a project of this magnitude again!

2E58940B-227B-45F1-A2C2-83451A71B7CE.jpeg

• Like 5

While clearing out my garage, I uncovered my Viper seat project that has been buried for years. It is a 1992 Viper front valance that I have made into a seat. Still needs a cleaning, foam cushion and red cloth to finish.

IMG_0984 (1).JPG

IMG_0985 (1).JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The tractor barn is pretty much done.  I still have to paint the inside of the roof and rafters, but I have other projects that are going to require paint down the road so I'm not going to bite the bullet yet on a 5 gl. paint bucket at $200.  I have to put up gutters to move the water away so that will be done here shortly.  My neighbor is taking them off his house so I get them for free. 

IMG_7004.JPG

IMG_7005.JPG

IMG_7006.JPG

IMG_7007.JPG

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 12:11 PM, edinmass said:

#3 cleaning the toilets for the visitors rest rooms, as well as my own. It’s not all Hollywood here in the shop!

I've been to the shows...it's all glamour and romance...just ask em!!  I occasionally get struck with a job that makes me wish I were scrubbing toilets. I've not just seen how the sausage is made, I've made it!! And, yes, I have to clean my own toilet too............

One thing about being a one man show is you get to do everything. Or as I like to say, there isn't anything they wont let the carpentrer do around here! This is my answer to how to adapt a yardstick long shift lever to the relatively fragile shift lever on a Velvet Drive transmission.

IMG_5062.JPG

IMG_5063.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up am OT car, ('06 Mustang GT convertible) but it's already 16 years old! I've been wanting this car since they came out in 2005. I had given up on finding an early model ('06) in good condition at a fair price. The mileage is pretty low, 116,000 and it's in very good overall shape. The paint is still nice and shiny. I've started cleaning and detailing it, my big thing is to preserve and improve it's condition. I've done the same thing with my '96, but that car started out a bit more worn with more miles. This is a process that I enjoy. After things settle down I may look for another old car, but I'm not in a hurry.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No work today. Just playing with the beasts. All three ran flawless. During the last event the dump truck threw a fit and had to be towed home in disgrace and pushed into the Lombard bay wrong-way-around which, I guess, is our equivalent of "go sit in the corner and think about what you have done! " Swapping out a nasty fuel filter solved the issue. Today she was penitent and contrite and on her best behavior.

This was the first outing for the steamer since last October. As usual it ran perfect. It actually is a very smooth running machine if you can believe that. Other than a few squeaks from the tracks, the muted growl of the compensator gear and the rhythmic clank of the mechanical lubricator it just ghosts along. Pretty impressive for a 20 ton beast.

287327415_5136344846486276_1519974538095007818_n.jpg.fdbcee98e09372b5191487c253c52616.jpg

287425745_5136344853152942_3310119656875956724_n.jpg.4fe620f15af5a9c863ce9d29a0ba8659.jpg

• Like 7

Well, guess I've lost my mind .... again .... but we just couldn't resist this little Honda CB 400 F, so we took a chance at an auction, took a battery and a can of gas when we were told we had won the online bid, and then the little fellow fired right up and I rode it home !  Needs some cleaning and I will re-paint it, but other than a couple of side covers (if the folks can't find them) and some decals, it's a pretty nice little bike. Every single thing on it works too ! Oh yeah, also bought a quart of oil from the friendly local service station. 15 bucks !!!!! 

IMG_1140 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1141 - Copy.JPG

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I did not work on this car today but the car had to work. First parade since the big starter addition project. Ran perfectly, did not overheat at all and, when I killed it during the parade, it was sure NICE to have a starter! Large turnout at the parade which runs for about 3/4 mile, turns around and comes back.  The Laverne fire truck was my favorite vehicle to see in the parade.

53A9D664-580E-4563-9A8A-EE4EC878DB35.jpeg

2951B531-2C17-4119-999A-5BC5BFE4DA1B.jpeg

A871B28C-7CD6-408D-9CE5-89D51FC44D2E.jpeg

EA9DDA34-EBA5-45AF-9B87-B59EF5CDF8DD.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to sort out the oiling system on this six cylinder beast (5-1/2 x 6-3/4, 148 BHP @ 1,500 rpm)  and make sure its all in order before we bring it back to life from a long slumber. For a massive, slow revving T-head (circa 1919) it is rather sophisticated with counter balanced crank, full pressure lubrication (more on that in a minute) and dual ignition... not dual spark mag but both mag and distributor and the ability to select one or the other or both. The distributor was a Atwater-Kent unit and mag was a Berling which have long since vanished. 

Now about that oil system... as I stated it is a full pressure (5 to 15 psi) with no provision for splash lubrication. Only enough oil (6 quarts) is held in the sump to pressurize the system. As the manual states, when you start the motor the oil level indicator will drop than rise again when the motor is stopped. An external relief valve allows for regulating of the oil pressure.

There was also a 10 gallon oil reservoir that provided make-up oil through drip feed and monitored via a dash mounted sight gauge. Unfortunately all that has gone missing but the regulator valve and port are still in place.

100_0279.JPG.f7bbb69aac4187a2dd60fe43620b86cd.JPG

Sterling023.jpg.7d059c4146b8d422f107c077acdd0ddb.jpg

• Like 4

Terry you're teasing us a little here.😊

Is this Sterling in one of the Lombards? Probably not if its still not running yet.

Or is there a new vehicle in Logging Museum stable?

Before you mentioned the Sterling name I was hoping it was the engine was the early  Waukesha you've been working on for years.

Details would be nice.

4 hours ago, JimKB1MCV said:

Terry you're teasing us a little here.😊

Is this Sterling in one of the Lombards? Probably not if its still not running yet.

Or is there a new vehicle in Logging Museum stable?

Before you mentioned the Sterling name I was hoping it was the engine was the early  Waukesha you've been working on for years.

Details would be nice.

Hello Jim,

It a Lombard that hopefully will be at the museum soon. We have to do some prep work and shuffling around before it arrives so it might not be until next year. Sometimes things move a bit slow with us. The goal at the moment is to get it mobile under its own power which will make moving it so much easier!

As far as we can tell it was built in 1919. Back in the 1970's it was recovered near Glazier Lake on the Maine/New Brunswick Border. Its the oldest surviving gas powered Lombard tractor and perhaps the only surviving Sterling Model "F" engine. These were mostly used in marine applications and were high quality, expensive engines. In the early 1980's the Breton family acquired the Lombard along with the remains of a sister machine that had been chopped up and the engine used to power a sawmill near Soldier Pond, Maine.

We have talked about hosting it at the museum for quite a few years. As with the Lombard dump truck we will shower it with TLC and work away at it to complete the restoration begun so many decades ago and of course demonstrate it to our guests as often as possible.

We are so very thankful to the Breton Family for their generosity and sharing these wonderful Maine made technology and ingenuity.

7-5-20.jpg.d11b063b01e7c0eafcd50193def0d559.jpg

7-5-16.jpg.f5ad73d771aa06974b3f7d226b294482.jpg

7-5-11.jpg.7fdb72f5fdb39ee3a6dd95ff31b5e5c7.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Been working on the 34 dodge just about everyday been cleaning greasing the headlights work now dash lights brakes are done and working Waiting to get it running and outside so I can flush out the nasty stuff in the cooling system 

38E8DE26-8973-45F0-9B75-5B8F2878A681.jpeg

42E6F8CA-5B7F-4D3D-9B3B-054370533942.jpeg

• Like 6

Having fun checking valve seal integrity. Cleaning up and bringing back any lost torque!

Fun job.  Take ‘yer time. Drink a cold one and make it all right. When it purrs again the world will feel smugly alright again. 

309035A2-DC34-43D6-A170-F2D6F06678C4.jpeg

465B4D54-1F53-4264-81CD-A29070B5D61E.jpeg

21EDF72E-041F-4408-AD13-0036F4075002.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 10

Playing tractor mechanic!

Yesterday we got the 1919 Lombard tractor running after lying dormant for 26 years. Ed jokes and curses "tractor mechanics" but I can tell you this was an amazing machine to work on and a great day to play tractor mechanic. 

The whole machine is wonderful but that Sterling T-head engine is amazing! 962 cid and cranking out 145 hp at 1,500 rpm. You don't just hear this engine.. you feel it right to your bones. You can't help but grin.

The engine design dates from 1915 and the quality and engineering that went into is over the top and would put Locomobile and many others to shame. For starters there are three oil pumps - two scavenger pumps each drawing from opposite ends of the sump and a service pump. Its a full pressure lubrication system - no splash or dippers. The crank is fully counter weighted and balanced. Interestingly the counter weights were "electrically welded on" and not part of the forging. The crankcase webs are not solid but designed as trusses both in the vertical and horizontal. All the bearings are bronze backed inserts. New, the engine alone in marine trim with reverse gear retailed at over $2,000.00.

Once we changed out the magneto and set the timing the beast fired right up. It runs fantastic and so, so butter smooth  - scary powerful. When the governor kicks in your going over or through whatever is in the way. Its just raw torque at very low RPM. We could only move a few feet due to the skis limiting maneuverability and Paul's reluctance to crush his Blueberry bushes.

Anyway, Paul had a huge smile on his face and we cannot wait to move this amazing Maine made machine up to the Maine Forest & Logging Museum. It's not perfect and we have some work ahead of us but we are so looking forward to it and demonstrating it as often as possible to our visitors.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

When my wife and I went to a swap meet a while back, she found a metal basket she was looking for. You would know as a 6 pack oil basket. To her, it’s for moving quarts of canned goods from the kitchen to the basement. She asked if the next time I painted, I would paint it and she didn’t care on color. The previous owner used it for paint so out came the pocket knife and I scraped it all down and touched up with sandpaper. A good coat of epoxy primer and then red and clear. It took as long to shoot it as it took to shoot the other 11 pieces in the booth. I just need to make a new wooden handle for it. She really like the color. Mike

image.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

Playing tractor mechanic!

Yesterday we got the 1919 Lombard tractor running after lying dormant for 26 years. Ed jokes and curses "tractor mechanics" but I can tell you this was an amazing machine to work on and a great day to play tractor mechanic. 

The whole machine is wonderful but that Sterling T-head engine is amazing! 962 cid and cranking out 145 hp at 1,500 rpm. You don't just hear this engine.. you feel it right to your bones. You can't help but grin.

The engine design dates from 1915 and the quality and engineering that went into is over the top and would put Locomobile and many others to shame. For starters there are three oil pumps - two scavenger pumps each drawing from opposite ends of the sump and a service pump. Its a full pressure lubrication system - no splash or dippers. The crank is fully counter weighted and balanced. Interestingly the counter weights were "electrically welded on" and not part of the forging. The crankcase webs are not solid but designed as trusses both in the vertical and horizontal. All the bearings are bronze backed inserts. New, the engine alone in marine trim with reverse gear retailed at over $2,000.00.

Once we changed out the magneto and set the timing the beast fired right up. It runs fantastic and so, so butter smooth  - scary powerful. When the governor kicks in your going over or through whatever is in the way. Its just raw torque at very low RPM. We could only move a few feet due to the skis limiting maneuverability and Paul's reluctance to crush his Blueberry bushes.

Anyway, Paul had a huge smile on his face and we cannot wait to move this amazing Maine made machine up to the Maine Forest & Logging Museum. It's not perfect and we have some work ahead of us but we are so looking forward to it and demonstrating it as often as possible to our visitors.

You guys have more fun with these monsters than most car guys I know! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Most people go to the auto parts store, order online or buy and swap needed parts from other collectors. For us we have to literally go out in the woods. This past Friday we journeyed to far Northern Maine to Glazier Lake on the Maine/New Brunswick border in search of elusive Lombard parts and pieces. This is the location that the 1919 Lombard tractor (see previous post) was retrieved from so many decades ago. Its big country and not easy to find a specific point in the wilderness described by vague memories from events many decades hence. As it was we covered over four miles zigzagging through the approximate area with no luck. Usually, when near an old logging camp site you find metal - barrel hoops, sled fittings, cans, buckets etc. We found zip, zero, nothing. 

However, on the way home we stumbled onto some local knowledge in the form of the gentleman that hauled the Lombard out of the woods back in the 1960's. As it turns out we missed the site by a few hundred yards. We also learned of another site to investigate. Needless to say, we are planning another adventure.

Many miles on logging roads.

296202718_5271556236298469_3625776588417030132_n.jpg.d443e362cdddb49fcc7d680b89507e5e.jpg

A fully explored location

296277686-1.jpg.c027564312c2f5511ffdd13307143394.jpg

Campsite at Connor's Cove on Glazier Lake

RemoteMediaFile_6554224_0_2022_08_05_11_56_18.jpg.65a24710c88d282a4d802341ec0c59b0.jpg

Big country. The far shore belongs to our Canadian friends.

RemoteMediaFile_6554227_0_2022_08_05_11_56_38.jpg.644a25f701eeed53235c5b722cbeaf21.jpg

Had a great time visiting with Tylor. He was the gentleman that hauled the Lombard out in the 1960's. 

IMG_2372.jpg.2a5c03a75bd3086c80d8765358586300.jpg

• Like 5

Worked on rebuilding 21" wood spoked wheel that had loosend up on my 1925 Buick Standard touring.

When evaluating the problem it should be noted that the car was originally equiped with 22" rims. I have already restored a set of 22" rims and wheels but am not ready to swap them out. I just want to be able to drive the car for the rest of the summer. Some time in the dim past when the car was fixed up in the late 1960s the wheels were changed out to 21" wheels. Possibly because of wheel condition or the need to use more available 21" tires. What was done was to swap out the earlier 1925 hubs in the later 1926-1927 wheels. I found the hub bolts to be a bit loose. Needed to make some new nuts and salvage some better bolts as these are peened over after tightening to the brake drum. So when removing the drum much of the end of the bolt is deformed. 

After stripping and scraping the spokes/hub and felloe of the old 1960s finish of primer and black paint there was some reminants of the original Patrol Green and red striping. The spokes all apear to be solid and sound without any cracks or checks.

DSC00566.JPG.54a07a39d8b045596fad27e2feba0d6f.JPG    DSC00567.JPG.aabfe01a191f5f72b72638f804e1341b.JPG

I had used Boiled Linseed Oil to soak into the spoke segments and the turned sections going through the felloe.

DSC00565.JPG.58ec2270edb268d2a0f06f21ea50ab52.JPG  DSC00568.JPG.251a28483dd0df34269ffca3080f23a6.JPG

Using a taperd pin to open up the joints and inserting .005 stainless steel shims between the segments. I filed off any paint sealing the ends of the turned spokes. each day for a week I would put a dab of BLO to the end grain and it tis still drinking it up.

I hope to get things painted up this week if the humidity ever goes down!

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Working on the radio grille on my '49 Cadillac dashboard. I ended up with two and the fully chrome one was pitted, the brown-painted one wasn't, so I'm sanding, prepping and painting it black to match the dashboard. A mild custom tweak. (Last pic shows the all-chrome one in place, which will change)

IMG-4410.jpg

68162081216--1717DD7A-3E2F-463B-B846-6D2DBCEB05E4.jpg

RenderedImage.JPG

IMG-4411.jpg

• Like 4