Images of the era

Walt G

I was looking for something else and found this picture of a 1908 Renault and the owner who at the time may have had the largest antique car collection in Europe.

Baron Johan Otto Raben Levetzau. Denmark, 1967.  Image result for vintage car

The photo isn't 1908 but does mention a major collector I've never heard of. Must have been a contemporary of Mahy, Montague, and Schlumpf.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Ok, as has been pointed out correctly the year and makes of the cars - Great! the 1927 Bugatti has  body by Lavocat - I recall in the very early 1970s at the annual Fairfield County Region HCCA pre 1942 era car show at Ridgefield , Ct. that author Ken Purdy who lived near there in Wilton, Ct. arrived in a green Bugatti that looked almost if not exactly like the car I have in the picture that I posted. Here is one more image, since there seems to be a decent interest

BodyType((14) 5 Passenger SEDAN 1924 Delling  (steam car) 029.jpg

• Like 2

This photo was taken on June 19,1920 at the Uniontown, Pa. races. it shows Eddie O'Donnell and his wife before the race , in that race he came in 3rd.

that is a pretty cool air compressor  she is hanging on to, Wire wheels are huge.

1920uniontownraces001.jpg

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Wonderful shot of Vancouver in simpler times. Even though most of us would have been drudges in a sawmill or some similar menial laboring occupation I still think Vancouver has lost much as it has evolved into a crowded , hectic, , runaway cost of living place. Very cool Studebaker delivery's.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

This photo was taken on June 19,1920 at the Uniontown, Pa. races. it shows Eddie O'Donnell and his wife before the race , in that race he came in 3rd.

that is a pretty cool air compressor  she is hanging on to, Wire wheels are huge.

1920uniontownraces001.jpg

I can see why you like that picture. As I remember,... you had a similar compressor rig. :D

Paul

11 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Walt:  Are any of those Delling Steam cars still extant to your knowledge?   

Ed:  What is the story on that Mercedes-Benz SSK?

Anyone know what the other car on the dock to the back was?

Has that Bugatti look to it. Just to show that radiator shell shape....

1927 Bugatti_T38_'Fiacre'.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I do not know of any Delling steam cars that exist, at one time I had a sales piece on the Delling but that got traded off to acquire a photo sales book issued by the coach builder Kellner that had a bunch of cars shown in it that Kellner designed and built all on Minerva chassis. Lots of weird stuff here in the WWI to WWII era mostly on coach builders. I was fortunate to have a friend in England who was a dealer in motor books - photographs, manuals, show programs etc that acted as my agent to find and buy stuff for me ( I would send him stuff I wasn't interested in for his book auction catalogs) . The late author Michael Sedgwick was a good friend of mine and introduced us as they only lived a few miles apart in Sussex , England. So for 35+ years I had someone looking for stuff for me that I collected and what I sent over ( mostly post war sports cars stuff) for his auctions paid for what he found for me.

• Like 1

Hi John

Yes that is indeed someones initials in a cut brass script attached to the radiator core. It was a popular thing to do from about 1906 up into the mid to late teens.

Many also had a monogram painted at the center on the rear door belt molding . there were also metal monograms available for extra cost , this was all very popular to do in pre WWII era cars.

Very few restored cars now have the owners initials lettered on the doors, but as mentioned it was a regular feature of pride of ownership and recognition when new and dates back to carriage days.

• Like 1

I knew a gentleman in Iowa a few years ago with a '28 Peerless 6-91 7 Passenger Sedan that had it's original finish and had sterling silver initials of the original owner, someone named W.J. McBe, in the middle of each rear door. Maybe I can find the photos around somewhere...

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff, thanks for looking and finding that photo. Those metal monograms were available in accessory catalogs/folders provided by the car manufacturers as well as ( at least in the NY City area) by very high end accessory stores like Nil Melior . Since this topic has jumped back into life I will add two more period photos. Enjoy all.

19  Mercedestowncar AA005.jpg

1932PackardsedanHelkfile001.jpg

Ok I hope this doesn't get to many people reading this annoyed at me , but when I started this post "images of the era" ( plus others before that)  it was for that - mostly period photographs taken of the time period 1950 or so and earlier. Lots of family photos of cars/vehicles to look at  none of us had the chance to see before. The posting/comment of the monograms for the rear doors did see some current or contemporary color images of the subject under discussion, which helped clarify what we were "discussing".  Photos of car shows here and abroad of pre 1950 cars are interesting, but not images of the era  in my estimation. I am not stating they aren't interesting but perhaps belong under a different title/topic?  If this is turning into a "images" of any era topic, i will refrain from posting anything further as I would just like to see the b & w and perhaps early attempts at color photos remain under one title " of the era". Again, I state I am not against the more modern photos in color but just that they are in the wrong place. Everyone has their own opinion and wants to contribute what they can - go for it.

Anyway it was good while it lasted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just imagine how many hours went into that interior. There is this sort of joke about Rolls Royce. An interviewer was asking the head of production how fast the line moves at Rolls Royce, saying that at Ford the line moves so that a car is made once a minute. The Rolls head of production said, Let's see, I think the line moved last Thursday.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Photos of car shows here and abroad of pre 1950 cars are interesting, but not images of the era  in my estimation. I am not stating they aren't interesting but perhaps belong under a different title/topic?  If this is turning into a "images" of any era topic, i will refrain from posting anything further as I would just like to see the b & w and perhaps early attempts at color photos remain under one title " of the era".

Agree...

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the photo of the roadster! WOW.  Is it a Roamer car?

Just to update the last two photos I posted - the lower one of the front of the car is a 1932 Packard , the upper one is of a Mercedes  town car that was imported into New York City.

23 hours ago, Walt G said:

Ok I hope this doesn't get to many people reading this annoyed at me , but when I started this post "images of the era" ( plus others before that)  it was for that - mostly period photographs taken of the time period 1950 or so and earlier. Lots of family photos of cars/vehicles to look at  none of us had the chance to see before. The posting/comment of the monograms for the rear doors did see some current or contemporary color images of the subject under discussion, which helped clarify what we were "discussing".  Photos of car shows here and abroad of pre 1950 cars are interesting, but not images of the era  in my estimation. I am not stating they aren't interesting but perhaps belong under a different title/topic?  If this is turning into a "images" of any era topic, i will refrain from posting anything further as I would just like to see the b & w and perhaps early attempts at color photos remain under one title " of the era". Again, I state I am not against the more modern photos in color but just that they are in the wrong place. Everyone has their own opinion and wants to contribute what they can - go for it.

Anyway it was good while it lasted.

Now let's make it a challenge of finding VINTAGE photos of those Rolls Royces and Bentleys in the above photos.  It won't be too difficult as the number plates remain for the life of the vehicle, and I'm sure I've seen a vintage photo, perhaps in a R-R book of that interior.

Craig

As I mentioned  - it was good while it lasted - other projects have come on the horizon to take up my time so I hope someone else can "pick up the ball" and continue to post the period photographs that they may know about or have in their own collection to share with everyone. Walt

Walt, Good eye, that appears to be a Roamer from the early years, 1916-1919.  They certainly presented an elegant, sporting image compared to most of their contemporaries. It always makes me laugh to read in the Standard Catalog how they were promoted with "brochures quoted Oscar Wilde and used tony phrases such as 'a certain insouciance' to describe the product"  Not sure how a cars acts with 'lighthearted unconcern, nonchalance' by Webster's Dictionary.   

Roamer ca 1916-'19 cropped.jpg

• Like 1

the balance and design of this particular body style is perfect. Look at the hood and cowl line to the windshield; from that point back look at the line of the edge of the top of the doors down the rear of the body - the rear section of course is longer but the angle is close enough to have that peak at the center ( windshield) that then trails off to both the front and back of the car in harmony and balance of style. . Small details that help are the lack of exterior door handles and hinges as well. A very very clean and striking design. This is capped at each end by thin fenders that capture the wheel/tire and in a sense act as a frame ( just like a thin frame on a picture hanging on a wall would).

OK , art lesson and design observation over for today. Yes, as mentioned before someplace on the forums I was an art teacher for 35+ years.

thanks for reading this all

Walt

• Like 2

The upward sloping hood and cowl also are unusual at the time when most had a distinct transition from the straight, horizontal hood line to an upswept cowl.  The design does balance nicely with the corresponding slope from the windshield rearward.   The large, delicate wire wheels in thin fenders look very sporting.