magazines

nick8086

Actually, I've never heard of those 4 automotive

magazines that are scheduled to be discontinued:

Automobile, Lowrider, Truck Trend and Vette.

Are they among the many same-old-stuff issues

that clutter the magazine racks?

It would be nice to see the publishers being

refreshingly honest in their press releases, instead of

writing the usual.  How about, "We've been having

trouble with these titles for years.  We haven't been

able to get much insightful writing, and morale among

the staff has been going downhill.  Frankly, we'll be

happy to get by with the few titles we have remaining!"

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Lowrider has been around for decades.

Surprised to see Chevy High Performance is being shut down.

Used to subscribe not too many years ago.

Always good content but I guess everything is going digital these days.

• Thanks 1

Actually several are quite well known , Car Craft has been around since the mid 1950's , started as one of the small sized digests like Rod and Custom.  Mustangs Monthly is well known in early Mustang circles, Street Rodder  was once very popular in rodding circles. Not obscure titles at all. 

Greg in Canada

• Thanks 1

There has been a lot of talk about the hot rod related magazines folding on the related sites. It's not surprising though. Zepher, why are you surprised that Chevy High Performance is being shut down? How many people are modifying Chevy's now a day's. In the '80s and '90s there were several Street Rods being built in my area, today there are zero. All the car types that those of us in our 70's built are now boat anchors, no one wants them. First of all, kids today don't read magazines and second, IF and that's a big IF, they are into cars, it's VW's and Hondas and they don't modify them like we did. What kid today can tear down a motor and install a high performance cam. Today a "hot rod" is lowered to the ground with a loud exhaust system. Time moves on guys and we can't stop it!

I think I have 17 of the 19 titles in my magazine collection. Sad day. The only one I am sure I do not have a single issue of is the Corvette publication. Super Street doesn't sound familiar to me but I have been known to buy random issues if the cover article looked good. Someday I hope to get my magazine collection sorted, it's a horrible mess right now. 

Lowrider has a cultural importance beyond just the cars, although not being Hispanic I don't fully grasp it; I know the importance exists though. 

9 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Actually several are quite well known , Car Craft has been around since the mid 1950's , started as one of the small sized digests like Rod and Custom.  Mustangs Monthly is well known in early Mustang circles, Street Rodder  was once very popular in rodding circles. Not obscure titles at all. 

Greg in Canada

Scan0009.jpg

Scan0010.jpg

Scan0011.jpg

Scan0012.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

There has been a lot of talk about the hot rod related magazines folding on the related sites. It's not surprising though. Zepher, why are you surprised that Chevy High Performance is being shut down? How many people are modifying Chevy's now a day's. In the '80s and '90s there were several Street Rods being built in my area, today there are zero. All the car types that those of us in our 70's built are now boat anchors, no one wants them. First of all, kids today don't read magazines and second, IF and that's a big IF, they are into cars, it's VW's and Hondas and they don't modify them like we did. What kid today can tear down a motor and install a high performance cam. Today a "hot rod" is lowered to the ground with a loud exhaust system. Time moves on guys and we can't stop it!

CHP didn't just cover Chevys from the muscle car era.

There were always articles about how to tune and mod current Chevy products.

They covered ECU programming, suspension, brakes and bolt ons for the late model stuff as well.

Easily, 90% of all the newer Camaros I see running around are modified in some form or another.

Edited by zepher
mispelling (see edit history)

I think the interest is still there in all of these automotive areas that the magazines cover. It just has to do with the rise of the internet and access to online information. You can post a question or ask for information on this site. And with in 24 hours have your questions answered. (with in 2 minutes if Keiser31 is online:lol:) Interest is not going away in restored cars, hot rods or customs. Show me the 30's-50's project coupes selling for 500 bucks because no body wants them? 

14 hours ago, zepher said:

Lowrider has been around for decades.

Surprised to see Chevy High Performance is being shut down.

Used to subscribe not too many years ago.

Always good content but I guess everything is going digital these days.

I would subscribe to Lowrider from time to time, the lowrider crowd seems to drive a large market of the reproduction parts for X frame Chevy's (58 to 64 Chevy's)  and it was a good way to see what new reproduction parts that came out. Lowrider always had some nice model's posing in the photo shoots, that stopped a few years ago.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Actually, I've never heard of those 4 automotive

magazines that are scheduled to be discontinued:

Automobile, Lowrider, Truck Trend and Vette.

Are they among the many same-old-stuff issues

that clutter the magazine racks?

It would be nice to see the publishers being

refreshingly honest in their press releases, instead of

writing the usual.  How about, "We've been having

trouble with these titles for years.  We haven't been

able to get much insightful writing, and morale among

the staff has been going downhill.  Frankly, we'll be

happy to get by with the few titles we have remaining!"

Actually most magazines today have too many stories to publish as they use freelance writers, pay very little and edit freely. The death of these is a direct result of lost advertising and increase postal and printing cost. I’ve been doing circulation fulfillment for magazines for over 45 years. At one time we processed for about 110 magazines, mostly trade but some consumer pubs. Approximately 80% of them do not exist anymore. I still do the oldest automotive magazine that was started in the late 1800 as a wagon hauling publication. In its heyday it had 90,000+ monthly circulation and turned advertising down as a magazine must balance ad% to editorial to get best postal rates. Today it is less than 1200 quarterly and is barely hanging on by slanting editorial toward what the major advertise in the issue is.  

These books will not be around much longer as most publishers that kill print say they will be digital to keep from losing long term ad contracts. As these contracts run out and digital ads do not replace them (believe it or not digital ads are not doing well) the magazines will be consolidated then gone. 

I would not renew my subscription if I were a subscriber. 

Have fun. 

Dave S 

Automotive Industries. It’s a trade journal for manufacturers. It’s changed hands about 4 times in the nineties and is currently owned by an Irishman whose office is in England and he lives in Israel. He purchased it from another publisher that was going to close it due to industry advertisers leaving print and going with on line ads only.  I’ve done work for him for 20 years and have only talked to him on the phone three times and never met him in person. It’s a crazy industry. 

Have fun

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

I don't remember the name of the car magazine this was in because I took the pic a long time ago but on the last page they had a graphic pic of an accident titled "To Remind You" to hopefully make young people think about driving safely and showing them what can happen if you don't. If the pic is too graphic for the mods feel free to delete it....

2-6 029.jpg

20 hours ago, erichill said:

With all my favorite car and motorcycle magazines going away I may have to take up crossword puzzles while on the crapper.

Getting ready to host the family Christmas Eve Party, my wife asked "Have you finished reading The History of PI. It's been there for  Christmas the last two times." Great book! Worth random rereading.

Bernie

• Like 1

I usually buy Automobile magazine when I am flying and the last one  was for a vacation flight to Bermuda in mid October.  I guess I will need to find another magazine in the future.

As I recall, it had a good article on 1950s Corvettes.

I received a copy of Car and Driver and a note with it said as a Autoweek subscriber my Car and Driver subscription was extend the number of issues I had remaining on my Autoweek subscription. Can't complain as Autoweek came out twice a month. 

Now for my Automobile subscription. Received an email and it said my Automobile subscription has now been changed to a Road & Track ONLINE  subscription. Not interested in an online subscription. They have a number to call but with the holidays I will wait a week or so before calling and asking for print issues or a monetary refund.

Sad to see AutoWeek and Automobile go away. These were my two favorites of all the 'modern car' magazines.  On one hand, the trend is disturbing, but on the other hand, we are part of it.  (After all, we are reading this online.). Some of the various club publications are now offering online-only option, some at a reduced cost vs. print.  I expect  the trend will continue.

• Like 1