Side curtains on early cars

Terry Bond

• 3 years later...
On 8/23/2019 at 1:22 AM, Terry Bond said:

Among my collection of early photos there are darned few showing side curtains attached.   I recently acquired this neat photo of an early car (what is it?) with side curtains on.  Obviously, it must be ready for a drive in the winter months, judging by the bear-skin coat worn by the driver/owner.  I'm wondering if the side-curtains were home-made or purchased from an auto supply source as I don't believe many auto manufacturers of this era sold the with the cars.   Does anyone have any info on the car itself, or are there other early auto photos out there showing side-curtains in place?

Terry

Side curtsains on an early car.jpg

1905 Autocar 16-20Hp Type XI Side-Entrance Tonneau

Wheelbase : 96 inches

Manufacturer : 1901 - 1911 The Autocar Co. - Ardmore, Pennsylvania.

contentf.jpg

Our 1915 Model T Touring had full curtains and only once did I drive it in thr rain to a show in Glulport Florida.  There were 3 of us in the car and the windows fogged up so bad that I had to take the my curtain down.   

15 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Our 1915 Model T Touring had full curtains and only once did I drive it in thr rain to a show in Glulport Florida.  There were 3 of us in the car and the windows fogged up so bad that I had to take the my curtain down.   

We had our 1948 MGTC on a tour a couple of years ago and put up the side-curtains in a brief storm - quickly pulled over and took them off-same thing!  It quickly fogged up inside so bad you couldn't see anything!   The solution-drive faster and the rain blows right away!

Terry

• Like 1

Side curtains were apparently standard equipment on some cars, but optional accessories on others.

When judging, we ask to see the curtains, although not necessarily installed. If a car has the attaching devices, the they should be presented, but if no such hardware is on the vehicle, then the car was not penalized.

• Like 1

In 2000, my wife and I drove our 1912 Model T touring car 240 miles from Rhinebeck, NY to Stowe, VT to go to the show in August. We hit rain in Chatham, NY and it poured all the way to Rutland, VT. Never used the side curtains, never got wet. Don't need no stinkin' side curtains...

Frank

Edited by oldford (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On the 2001 Glidden Tour is was sunny when  we got there an sunny when we departed, but the whole week was rain & 43 degrees.

4 of us in the 34 Ford Phaeton used the side curtains every day, didn't see much!   That trip and the 1999 Glidden tour in the Shendoah Valley

where it also rained a lot, ended our use of the Phaeton on long tours.   When we emerged from the depths of the the Luray Caverns, it was

pouring rain and there sat my Phaeton alone in the big parking lot with the side curtains behind the back seat.   I put them on and got soaked

to the bone, we car literally car pooled back to Staunton.  I was lucky to not get a cold on top of that.

Since 2001 we use only closed sedans for tours, for two reasons.  # 1 is roll up windows, # 2 is doors that lock.

2001Glidden.jpg.3f6888b6ab6caa3ee08cec4fee2014b6.jpgPhaetonFalls-Copy.jpg.137a41af2641bc4fb1e20a209a3d344f.jpgPhaetonFalls-Copy.jpg.137a41af2641bc4fb1e20a209a3d344f.jpg

• Like 7

On the 2001 Glidden Tour is was sunny when  we got there an sunny when we departed, but the whole week was rain & 43 degrees.

4 of us in the 34 Ford Phaeton used the side curtains every day, didn't see much!   That trip and the 1999 Glidden tour in the Shendoah Valley

where it also rained a lot, ended our use of the Phaeton on long tours.   When we emerged from the depths of the the Luray Caverns, it was

pouring rain and there sat my Phaeton alone in the big parking lot with the side curtains behind the back seat.   I put them on and got soaked

to the bone, we car literally car pooled back to Staunton.  I was lucky to not get a cold on top of that.

Since 2001 we use only closed sedans for tours, for two reasons.  # 1 is roll up windows, # 2 is doors that lock.

2001Glidden.jpg.3f6888b6ab6caa3ee08cec4fee2014b6.jpgPhaetonFalls-Copy.jpg.137a41af2641bc4fb1e20a209a3d344f.jpgPhaetonFalls-Copy.jpg.137a41af2641bc4fb1e20a209a3d344f.jpg

• Like 2

A 1921 Model T touring car that was owned for many years by two different good friends usually had its side curtains up on the car! I rode in (and sometimes drove) that car for many many miles with the side curtains on it. I enjoyed them that way.

For many years, the 1915 Studebaker touring car I had I kept the side curtains on it most of the time. Usually, if the top was up, the curtains were on it. If the curtains weren't on it, it was because the top was down. I liked it that way, and never had trouble with fogging when using the side curtains.

On 8/22/2019 at 6:32 PM, Guest said:

My Grand parents always used their 1917 Model T Ford until after our Thanksgiving weekend.  Second weekend in October.  They used to put a large rock in the oven of the cook stove for several days before they left for the farm.  Wrapped in a blanket it kept their three children warm in the back seat with the side curtains installed.  One hundred twenty miles from Winnipeg to the farm.

Same story told by my mother many times. Location was Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, except no side curtains, or top. Just a pile of heavy blankets. Warmed rocks also kept feet warm in bed all night. Watering livestock and chickens was another challenge.

It seems that most of the guys here use their side curtains today when it rains. What is the original intent of these? I would surmise that the main purpose was a bit of enclosure during colder months? I would bet that in the day a driver would not carry these around during warm months 'just because'. If they got caught in the rain then so be it. This is purely my speculation.

2 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

It seems that most of the guys here use their side curtains today when it rains. What is the original intent of these? I would surmise that the main purpose was a bit of enclosure during colder months? I would bet that in the day a driver would not carry these around during warm months 'just because'. If they got caught in the rain then so be it. This is purely my speculation.

I would suspect so.  

Considering New York City was running double-decker buses with an open top deck at the time, passengers were prepared with warm clothing and blankets, should they be forced to ride up top.

Craig

My 22 Reo has a compartment behind the rear backrest to store the side curtains. There is a flap at the top secured with lift-a-dots that goes all across the top of the backrest. The side curtains can be stored there without folding. Nice idea and I can use the area under the seat for tools...

Frank

59 minutes ago, oldford said:

My 22 Reo has a compartment behind the rear backrest to store the side curtains. There is a flap at the top secured with lift-a-dots that goes all across the top of the backrest. The side curtains can be stored there without folding. Nice idea and I can use the area under the seat for tools...

Frank

I had a bag made for the side curtains behind the rear seat, to keep them clean and ready for foul weather

My 1922 Chandler Royal Dispatch with its original curtains installed. Haven't driven with them yet. They are in pretty good shape except the "glass" is yellowed and one pane is cracked.

Peter

2003_0524_170605AA.JPG

• Like 3

Our 1913 Lozier Montclair touring has its original side curtains.  Here is a picture of it with the side curtains in place on one side.  This was at a concurs held at the Lemay Museum in Tacoma WA a few years ago.  The side curtains were made by Jiffy and there is an original patch showing the patent date in 1912.

Lemay Concours de Elelgance 09.13.2015 014.JPG

• Like 4

20 hours ago, PWN said:

My 1922 Chandler Royal Dispatch with its original curtains installed. Haven't driven with them yet. They are in pretty good shape except the "glass" is yellowed and one pane is cracked.

Peter

2003_0524_170605AA.JPG

Tinted windows!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have been following this discussion about side curtains with much interest.  We finished the restoration of our 1916 Buick last July.  This car has been in my family for going on 60 years.  When my Dad bought the car it had just two of the original curtains with it.  I had Gary Martin of Goldfield Trim and Upholstery redo the upholstery and make the new top for the car.  I have a friend out in New Jersey who also has a 1916 D-45.  His car has the original top and the complete set of side curtains.  He loaned the curtains to Gary so that a new set could be made for our car.  We even had the original curtain 'tags' replicated as you see in the photos.  When it comes to using these curtains on the car, we have an interesting story to relate.  We had the car on the Red Flag Tour in Southeast Iowa last September.  The early mornings in late September up there can get real chilly right quick.  When we left Saturday morning for the last leg of the tour it was 41 degrees and I am here to tell you that 30-35 miles per hour had us freezing our backsides.  We left the front two curtains off so that hand signals were easier and visibility was vastly improved.  When it was all said and done, we sure wished that we had put them in.  They made a huge difference in the comfort of everyone.  Those wind wings are also a period accessory that are worth a lot when it comes to comfort in one of these open automobiles.  The curtains are stored in the top when not in use.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

P8061520.JPG

P3011640.JPG

P3011641.JPG

P3011643.JPG

Edited by Terry Wiegand
GRAMMAR (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Daryl Kemerer sent me these period illustrations of the side curtains on a 1911/1912 Flanders 20 runabout.  I plan to use them to make curtains for my 1912 some day.  :)

20220128_114520a.jpg

20220128_115917a.jpg

Edited by cudaman
pics were upside down at first, fixed spelling of Kemerer (see edit history)
  • Like 3

THAT is one great looking set of side curtains on that runabout!

This thread is making me feel the need! Guess if I ever can get the top done for my 1915 T model Ford I will have to go the extra mile, and get or make side curtains for it!

On 2/27/2023 at 10:18 AM, JAK said:

Isn't anyone going to mention an over abundance of hot air in a confined space?😉

Good point!! 

How does one order a Wendy's Chili at the drive thru, and pass it through a lowered side curtain??!?

Craig

My 1915 McLaughlin is the first car newest enough for side curtains.  It came with these as photographed when I acquired the project.  The car today, in blue, I have material for the curtains, just have to get at it sometime.

Regards, Gary

DSC_1487f.jpg

DSC_5502.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

The side curtain windows must be the earliest use of plastic on any car .......if they are really plastic ?.........just asking as i have never seen many

Early ones were celluloid, same product movie film was made from, which is extremely flammable.

Craig

On 2/28/2023 at 8:19 AM, TAKerry said:

I spoke to an old-timer around the year 2000.

He said that, by the time it began raining and they

got the side-curtains installed, they were already wet!

That implies that side-curtains were indeed used in

warm weather, and for rain.

I appreciate talking to people who were around in

past times, since history was real life to them.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

51 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I spoke to an old-timer around the year 2000.

He said that, by the time it began raining and they

got the side-curtains installed, they were already wet!

Not just old timers John, Many times on am MG club tour we've encountered sudden pop-up downpours.  The usually hardy "top always down" folks are pretty quick to pull over and get their tops up, but just like the "good old days" some assembly is usually required.  That's we love our MGBGT.
Terry

On 3/1/2023 at 11:29 AM, Terry Wiegand said:

Those wind wings are also a period accessory that are worth a lot when it comes to comfort in one of these open automobiles.

I agree totally . I have a pair of wind wings on my Packard touring car at the windshield and also on the tonneau windshield mounted to the back of the front seat They make a huge difference in comfort and are not just there for "looks" or to be fancy nor see how many accessories you can pile on a period car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

arcticbuicks asked about the clear material used in the side curtain windows.  It was not plastic and it was not isinglass.  It was celluloid and I am afraid to make any comment(s) about just how durable this stuff was back in the day.  Someone asked about how the wind wings would fare when driving in the rain.  Back in the day if a person was caught in the rain in one of these open cars and was fortunate enough to have the top up but did not have the curtains in place, I would imagine if they were traveling along at say 30 miles per hour, it would be almost like going through the car wash in a 4-door sedan with all the windows rolled down.  I don't think the wind wings would have been a whole lot of help in the rain.  It is not hard at all to see how closed body automobiles caught on with great success.  They were a much better deal all throughout the year.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918