Side curtains on early cars

Terry Bond

As we are talking about side curtains, does anyone with more experience than me know how to “stretch “ them if they seem to have shrunk? Our new to us 1908 Buick came with a full set. The  back curtains clip on well. As you come forward, the widths are good but the lower fasteners don’t match up to the eyelets. 

The roll-down side curtains I have seen have

been on "California tops," which are rigidly fixed in place.

Such side curtains sound like a very good invention,

easier to use than others, which had to be retrieved

from their pouch, unfolded, sorted, and then clipped

into place.

Can others tell us more about roll-down side curtains?

Were they all on rigid California tops?  Were they all

after-market accessories?

On 3/3/2023 at 2:27 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

I have seen "California tops" from the late 1910's

or early 1920's, which were shaped like touring-car tops,

but fixed in place and rigid.  The side curtains were

pulled down like roller shades.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

There are so many variations on the so-called California tops, there really is no simple answer. I have seen several such cars up close and maybe a dozen others in really good photographs. Most of the ones I have seen up close or in photos did not have roller shade type side curtains, although I have seen a couple like that. I don't have good pictures of the cars I have personally seen up close (was really never that good with cameras?). 

Several of the cars I have seen up close had wooden framed real glass windows that hung from rods run lengthwise inside the top! A couple had them held so that the side windows would swing up and attach to straps near the center of the fixed roof. There they would stay out of the way until needed when a simple flap would extend down outside the door or body side to cut down the draft.

Another car I rode in once also had rods run inside the length of the roof. Except this one had all the wood framed side windows slide to the rear of the car where they nestled inside the fixed rear section of the top! The stack of the side windows took up some space back there, but not too much. I have also seen a couple California Top cars that had the rods inside the roof, however had the framed windows removed and kept out of the car for the season.

Some of the after-market fixed top conversions had fixed windows attached to the body sides and doors, such that the door sections would swing open with the door when opened. Sometimes they had some sort of sliding arrangement to lower the side or door windows. And some of them were not all that good looking! Especially some of the ones made for model T Fords!

1920ishallweathertoptouring.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Another car I rode in once also had rods run inside the length of the roof. Except this one had all the wood framed side windows slide to the rear of the car where they nestled inside the fixed rear section of the top! The stack of the side windows took up some space back there, but not too much. I have also seen a couple California Top cars that had the rods inside the roof, however had the framed windows removed and kept out of the car for the season.

Some of the after-market fixed top conversions had fixed windows attached to the body sides and doors, such that the door sections would swing open with the door when opened. Sometimes they had some sort of sliding arrangement to lower the side or door windows. And some of them were not all that good looking! Especially some of the ones made for model T Fords!

The 1937 Packard station wagon had rear side curtains that slid in tracks upwards, even on the rear doors.  They better be closed while one slides it up or down, and not open it when the curtain is in the halfway position!!

1937 Packard wagon brochure / 37Packard04.jpg (oldcarmanualproject.com)

1937 Packard wagon brochure / 37Packard05.jpg (oldcarmanualproject.com)

Craig

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 5:44 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Can others tell us more about roll-down side curtains?

Were they all on rigid California tops?  Were they all

after-market accessories?

A 1924 Auburn with the roll-down side curtains.

Craig

24_Auburn_1.jpg

24_Auburn_2.jpg

• Thanks 1