1937 Buick Model 48: RESTORATION HAS BEGUN! (Photo)

Gary W

Gary,

One other question;  Who did you use to do the wood graining paint job on your dash and trim pieces?  I have to get my dash and window surrounds done and would like mine to look as good as yours does.  Is it a local company there in your area or ?  

Randy

Hi Randy;

No updates from LeBaron.  I haven't done anything with the car except start the engine a couple times a week and let it warm up, idle a bit and shut it down.  I can't think of anything to do with the car until the new upholstery kit arrives.  Bummer

The bad dye lot was with their Brown Bedford Cord fabric.  (N7...?). They have a new supplier for the fabric, but how long it takes to remake all the bad kits.....  I don't know.  It took about three months for the fabric to turn green.

I hate that my project is just stalled for the last few months, but some things are completely out of my control.  I had high hopes that I would have a thousand miles on her by now!

The woodgrain was done by Mr. Bob Kennedy out on your side of the country.  1.562.693.8739.  A real gentleman to deal with and an artist with the grain.  

Thanks for checking in!  Have a great weekend and I'll get posting as soon as this kit arrives.

Gary

• Like 1

Unfortunately like many of us, LeBaron Bonney is having a hard time getting what they need and even when it’s available, delivery times are always way out. It seems service times are even worse than material delivery times too. Last time I was at LB/HC picking up a customers interior, Scott the owner was telling me the problems they’re having getting some materials. People out there who are restoring their cars to original should order their interiors now as availability is changing daily on original type materials.  As we all know, every time we turn around another manufacturer of stuff for our cars is either closing or just gone and the bigger companies that supply us can’t get the supplies themselves. Things as simple as slotted screws are becoming a thing of the past with the new Phillips/slotted hybrid heads replacing everything out there. Try to buy a garnish screw and all they want to sell you is a Phillips head!

Gary, I feel your pain my friend. I’m waiting on the machine shop to finish up a block for my 31’ Chevy that he said he’d have done 6 weeks ago so I can be driving it for this summer and I’m still waiting to get my Olds wheels painted. I guess the bright side is the Olds body will be going in for paint very soon but who knows how long it will sit there in between other insurance jobs. The waiting is the worst! Give LB a call and ask for Cam Nolan. See if there’s any way she can speed it up for you. I’ll call her and tell her you’re a friend of mine and see if that helps. PM me your last name and address so I have it when I talk with her.

• Like 2

My '36 Model 48 is now in its 5th year. Part of the problem is la ack for sheet metal for this car.

Then there is always "I will get to it next week."  This goes on week after week.

But, the car came out of the paint booth this week. After the paint cures and finish buff applied, re-assembly starts. Next week. Me. "Yea, right."

P.

• Like 1

Gary,

Thank you for the referral to Bob regarding the wood grain refinish of my dash and window surrounds.   It is sad that we are down to one supplier of the interior fabric for restorations.  Two decades ago, we had several that were supplying to the antique market. When the eggs are all in one basket and the basket gets a hole in it, disaster strikes.  Let us hope that Le Barron Bonny will stay  healthy for some time. 

I am doing the frame and body of my Pontiac Coupe first.  That will take a while.  Certainly not a year as you so deftly showed all of us out here.  If we all have access to a good painter/body man that you have, that is half of the battle.  Count your lucky stars that you have such a good and talented man at your disposal.  If we here were as fortunate. 

You have to be very careful as a lot of them talk the talk and do not deliver.  Seems that they inhale way too many fumes and it "clouds" their judgement and performance.  There are good ones out here but taking out a second mortgage to hire them sticks in my craw. 

Randy

P

Glad your car is painted, it is a major step.  You don't have to compare your progress to others, do what you are able when you can and stick with it.  I wish I was as organized as Gary W, he is the best, I am 3 years into my project and there are others who are 20.  We are all just guys, hang in there.  Thanks, Gary

• Like 2

Gary,

Has Le Baron Bonney given you any hint as to when they will be getting you the new kit?  I come to the Forum hoping for good news and to see what you have done next.  I know it is a bit selfish as a reader of your thread,  and  I can imagine how unnerving it is for you to be waiting for the fabrics to arrive.  Is there anything else that you have to do to the car other than the seats and door panels?  Hearing that you start the car up weekly is comforting to know that at least the mechanicals are completed.  Only for a road trip to confirm of the "road worthiness".  But I bet that the Buick could travel cross country without a hitch.  I am sure that family doings keep your self busy but...........

Hello all;

I'm just patiently waiting for my kit to arrive.  I am really disappointed that I missed my self-imposed deadline of March 1, and even more that I missed this Spring driving season to break the motor in while the days are cool.

I'm always reminded of the Serenity Prayer.....  Accept the things I cannot change.  This setback is simply out of my control and I have to chill out, and hope all the waiting will result in a quality product.

I started the engine today just to hear that beautiful straight eight purr!  All the gauges are functioning properly, good oil pressure,  no overheating, no water / oil leaks,  no weird squeaks or rattles.  

I do notice that If she sits for a week, I need to give the accelerator a couple of "pumps" before flipping the ignition switch to start it.  If I start it two consecutive days, it requires NO pumping at all.  It just fires right up as it should.  I think my Marvel is letting air in, or allowing the gas to run out....  don't really know.  I think that's why some guys install an electric pump in the line to "prime" the carburetor for starting.  Makes sense.

When she starts, she runs rich for about two minutes.  Then you can actually hear the engine pick up as the automatic choke pulls off and the mixture leans out.

But, this is an incredibly busy time with the family and all those springtime chores in and around the house, so I'm always running.  But the day that kit arrives, I'm going to forget all about the sprinkler system, the pH of the pool, the lawn fertilizer, the vegetable garden, the power washer, the deck stain........... I'm diving right back into the garage to finish her up!

Thanks so much for following along, and hanging in there with me as I wait to complete the final phase of my restoration.  

Hope you all have a great week, and hopefully I'll be posting real soon!

Respectfully,

Gary

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Modern fuel evaporates more easily than the fuels of 1937. What is probably happening is the fuel is evaporating out of the carburetor when it sits over time. I use an electric fuel pump to get fuel back into the carburetor if the car has been sitting over a day. That makes it easier to start without having to turn the engine over enough to allow the mechanical fuel pump to refill the carburetor. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes Gary when I am driving my 37 on tour and start it every day it does start right up. Letting it set for several weeks the ethanol fuel tends to evaporate in the carburetor so I have an oil can with fuel to fill up the float bowl before I start. A regular oil can not a pump style as I tried them and the fuel is too thin to get a good sguirt into the opening screw in the side of the Marvel carb.

Gary,

Le Barron states that they offer, "complete" interior kits.  As there are MANY varied elements of the interior, I'm curious just how complete their kit is.  For example, extra fabric for the front seat kick plates; piping for the top of the front seat; door handles; rear seat grab handles; etc.  Given your experience, I want to be very specific when I order.  However, I am not certain I can even identify every single component.  Any insight?

Neill

Hi Neill,

For my 1937 Model 48,  (2-door "trunkback" sedan) this is what I ordered from LeBaron Bonney:

Style # 37-4411 , Body #6889

1-Headliner Kit                 Fabric A-806

1-Panel Kit                        Fabric 2-N Bedford Cord

1-Seat Kit                          Fabric 2-C Bedford Cord

1-Trunk Kit                        Fabric TL-25

1-Front Carpet                  Fabric F88-1

1-Rear Carpet                   Fabric F88-1

2-Sunvisors Recovering  Fabric GM220

2-Robe Rail Recovering   Fabric GM320

2-Arm Rest Recovering   Fabric 2-N Bedford Cord

I used their recovering service for my sunvisors, robe rails (Fabric covered ropes behind the seats) and the front seat arm rest/door pull.

The kit as I ordered it was very complete and had all welting, nails, tacks....  

I hope that helps you out.  

Gary

I bought my interior kit for my '38 Special coupe from LeBarron Bonney. I bought all the segments just like Gary. The upholstery was installed by an upholsterer here.

It was very complete including new padding for the seats. I was completely satisfied with the outcome.

On May 24, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Gary W said:

Hi Neill,

For my 1937 Model 48,  (2-door "trunkback" sedan) this is what I ordered from LeBaron Bonney:

Style # 37-4411 , Body #6889

1-Headliner Kit                 Fabric A-806

1-Panel Kit                        Fabric 2-N Bedford Cord

1-Seat Kit                          Fabric 2-C Bedford Cord

1-Trunk Kit                        Fabric TL-25

1-Front Carpet                  Fabric F88-1

1-Rear Carpet                   Fabric F88-1

2-Sunvisors Recovering  Fabric GM220

2-Robe Rail Recovering   Fabric GM320

2-Arm Rest Recovering   Fabric 2-N Bedford Cord

I used their recovering service for my sunvisors, robe rails (Fabric covered ropes behind the seats) and the front seat arm rest/door pull.

The kit as I ordered it was very complete and had all welting, nails, tacks....  

I hope that helps you out.  

Gary

Many thanks for the assistance.

Neill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gary,

Any word from Le Baron Bonney about the replacement kit yet?   We hope that it won't be too long as summer is here.  You should be cruzin now and enjoying the Buick.

I can't wait to see you back at it as your thread is one of my favorites.

Randy

• Like 3

I really appreciate everyone being so patient.  This delay is KILLING me!!!!  No word from LBB.  I know others are getting kits delivered, but I guess not the same Brown Bedford Cord fabric.

I'm seriously ready to build a wood "seat", bolt it down and get driving!  The Buick is registered for its first car show at Monmouth Park on July 8.  I'm beginning to doubt if I'll make it.

Thanks for hanging in there......... don't know what else to say.

Gary

• Like 1

In a million years I would have NEVER thought that fabric was going to be the road block to my build. 

There are so many aspects of a full restoration that can go wrong and really slow you up.  But aside from some minor hiccups, the entire restoration went exceedingly well.

Unfortunately, this is a huge hiccup!

Gary

• Like 1

My 36 Buick Model 48 was a one off year. The delays have been having to remanufacture body parts by hand. I am in year 5. The good news is, I am no longer working a day job and this project could seriously get finished this year. ?

• Like 1

Maybe someone can help me here. We are missing the documentation on the wiper transmission reassembly.

Does anyone have a sample they can check for me?

Is the Passenger or Drivers side correct inside the purple box.. ?

Any help appreciated.

It also seems the two wiper blade connections are different.

Does it matter? 

In case you were wondering, the chrome work was done by Paul's Chrome. These guys never cease to bring tears of joy to my eyes when I open a package from them. :)

Thanks!

P.

Detailed Wiper Transmission.jpg

Edited by pplaut (see edit history)

Gary

Have you had any contact with LeBaron Bonney lately? I was told over two weeks ago my headliner would be shipped and they were to give me update on remainder of the interior kit. I was going to call today but was curious about your delay which is much longer than mine. Any word about any financial issues? My last contact with sales rep said he would check with shop and let me know status for both headliner and interior. I have not been told any issues with fabric supply or any reason for delay. My order is for my 36 special and the fabric ordered is not the same as yours. Hopefully no real issues but don't have understanding of what delay could be and certainly not good business model.

Rod

Thursday June 21, 2018: Update from LeBaron Bonney:

I literally just got off the phone with Mr. David Costello at LeBaron Bonney.  They are STILL waiting for SMS Auto Fabrics to deliver the 2N Brown Bedford Cord, and quite frankly, he wasn't so enthusiastic that it will be delivered any time soon.

So........

I asked him to please send me other fabric choices that are the same color, but maybe not the exact "cord" fabric.  (Like a broadcloth......)  He thought that was a great idea and is getting them in the mail to me today. 

***** (I also think it's a great idea, and have to thank Matt Hinson for that.  His kit was delivered and some of his fabrics do look like they will work in my car.) *****

Once I make the new choice, my kit is only a week away.

As much as I hate to deviate from my original choice, I need to finish this restoration and get driving.  Hopefully the colors will still blend and match and look nice so  the end result will be acceptable and look correct.  I'll match up the new samples to the headliner, the armrests and the woodgrained parts to be sure it will all flow nicely.  At this point, I really don't see another viable option.  

(I'm sure as soon as I get the kit installed, the 2N Brown Bedford Cord will arrive.......... Murphy's Law!)

I'll keep you posted as things develop and again, thanks for following along and being so patient as I work through the final hurdle.

Have a wonderful day out there!

Gary

• Like 4

I talked with David just now and advised that the only fabric not in stock when ordered was trunk liner which we agreed should not hold up production. He is to have Carla, a manager, to check tomorrow and give me call. I had asked that headliner be expedited and David stated he didn't know why not completed. He also said that altho not right seems as if he who yells loudest, calls the most, seems to get moved up in production line. I advised that I could call every day if that would do any good. He blames it on slow production which i found interesting. I at least can understand delay if they don't have fabric but the inability to explain when apparently the fabric on premises is baffling. David and I have had issues and perhaps that is contributing to the delay. Hope you have better luck in working with them. I too will let you know what their response is.

Rod

Hi Rod,

I hope your kit arrives soon.  I have gotten many personal messages from members that kits are being delivered in full with all the proper fabrics so I'm sure you'll be fine if all your fabrics are in stock.

Just to clarify, I've been working with LeBaron Bonney for 25 years.  This is my third full kit for my cars, and of course various parts and items for my cars throughout the years.  I have no issue with LeBaron Bonney, Scott Holbrook, David Costello or any aspect of the company.  In fact, they have been overly apologetic regarding the bad dye lot, and have been trying since last October to rectify the problem and fulfill my order.  I've been getting updates all along as they tried to find the correct fabrics for my restoration.  I have always found the company and their representatives to be very professional and very helpful.  Unfortunately, my situation was completely out of their control.  Unlike your situation, my fabric is simply not in stock, and they have no idea when to expect the replacement fabric that has passed all the colorfast tests,........

Remember, I first ordered my original kit in February, 2017.  It was delivered in May 2017.  I wasn't ready to install until October 2017.  It was then, after I installed the headliner, that I took the  rear panels out of their boxes to discover the greenish color change.  I pulled out the door panels and they also were turning color due to the bad dye lot.  (That was the 2N Brown Bedford Cord fabric).  I'm not the only kit affected by this and LBB has been working since I alerted them to the issue to find a resolution.  It's just a bad situation that I hope is coming to an end soon.

I hope your kit gets to you with all its proper fabrics and is the quality and finish we've all come to expect from LBB.  If you install before me, please post some photos of the process!

Good Luck!

Gary

6 hours ago, Gary W said:

Hi Rod,

I hope your kit arrives soon.  I have gotten many personal messages from members that kits are being delivered in full with all the proper fabrics so I'm sure you'll be fine if all your fabrics are in stock.

Just to clarify, I've been working with LeBaron Bonney for 25 years.  This is my third full kit for my cars, and of course various parts and items for my cars throughout the years.  I have no issue with LeBaron Bonney, Scott Holbrook, David Costello or any aspect of the company.  In fact, they have been overly apologetic regarding the bad dye lot, and have been trying since last October to rectify the problem and fulfill my order.  I've been getting updates all along as they tried to find the correct fabrics for my restoration.  I have always found the company and their representatives to be very professional and very helpful.  Unfortunately, my situation was completely out of their control.  Unlike your situation, my fabric is simply not in stock, and they have no idea when to expect the replacement fabric that has passed all the colorfast tests,........

Remember, I first ordered my original kit in February, 2017.  It was delivered in May 2017.  I wasn't ready to install until October 2017.  It was then, after I installed the headliner, that I took the  rear panels out of their boxes to discover the greenish color change.  I pulled out the door panels and they also were turning color due to the bad dye lot.  (That was the 2N Brown Bedford Cord fabric).  I'm not the only kit affected by this and LBB has been working since I alerted them to the issue to find a resolution.  It's just a bad situation that I hope is coming to an end soon.

I hope your kit gets to you with all its proper fabrics and is the quality and finish we've all come to expect from LBB.  If you install before me, please post some photos of the process!

Good Luck!

Gary

A big hello to every one from me at the Nationals in Denver. Having heard of Gary's difficulties with receiving his replacement interior, I have decided to hold off ordering until things sort themselves out. Cheers Paul

Paul,

If you want their 2N material, you might as well wait a while. If you want any other material, I would not be concerned. I think they said it would take 6 to 8 weeks to produce my kit. My kit was ordered on 4-26-18. It was delivered on 6-18-18. 

• Like 2

Gary,

If SMS is the LeBaron's source, have you tried contacting SMS directly?  They may have some of the material available for their own retail customers.

When I ordered an entire interior for my 59, I purchased through them directly (https://smsautofabrics.com/). 

It's unfortunate there aren't other sources for materials.

Your defective cloth was apparently produced by SMS, I too had issues with SMS material, but my issue was with their leather. 

< begin SMS rant >

I ordered and received 2 whole leather hides dyed in the appropriate red color more than a year prior to bringing it to the upholsterer (it cost a fortune).

When I presented the hide to the upholsterer a year later, the first thing he asked was if I knew the hide was spray dyed as it wouldn't be very durable... I had no idea!

Apparently, hides can either be spray dyed or vat dyed.  Needless to say, Vat Dyed leather is far more durable as the dye literally penetrates the fibers of the leather as opposed to a topical spray.

Upon calling them about this they told me if I wanted vat dyed leather I would have had to order it that way.

Nowhere on the SMS website does it mention these options, neither was it discussed by their sales team upon ordering.

As the upholsterer foretold, the dye did begin to wear off in less than 2 years of very limited use.

I was less than pleased.

<end rant >

Hoping your new SMS cloth works out as great as the rest of your restoration. 

Looking forward, as is everyone, to the completion of your project!

Edited by Buick 59 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Monday June 25, 2018:  Samples arrived from LeBaron Bonney

As promised, my fabric samples arrived in today's mail.  I immediately compared the samples to my wood grained parts, the armrests, the headliner....  I think it'll work out just fine.

1456632584_LeBaronInterioroptions.thumb.jpeg.f69de5d9fd99e3ff3cfba9e37a6674ac.jpeg

This is what I got today.  My seats are the 2-C Bedford Cord.  I chose the 2-LM for my panels.  It's more of a mohair/broadcloth(?) than the 2-N Bedford Cord but I think it'll look very authentic.

The scan doesn't replicate the colors accurately.  The 10-LM is too light and the 7-LM was way too dark.

My original door and side panels actually were more of a smooth fabric, not the cord-type fabric.  Then I looked online and saw some other Buicks and the panels do look smooth, not a corduroy like the seats.

IMG_7516.thumb.jpg.cb75e2579f2369d93d0a9c9d2be2fcbc.jpg

This car has the cord seats and the smooth panels so I guess I'm on the right track.

DSC_0009.thumb.jpg.f94e102a10905cf2b0f940a9a08f349e.jpg

Here is my door panel as removed from the car.  It also is a "smooth" fabric, not ribbed.

(ASIDE....  why can't I upload photos?  I keep getting a "You are only allowed to upload 9.52mb"  error message which I have never seen before)

I called LeBaron and ordered the 2-LM so hopefully I'll be back in the garage this time next week!

Have a great night!

Gary

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gary W said:

(ASIDE....  why can't I upload photos?  I keep getting a "You are only allowed to upload 9.52mb"  error message which I have never seen before)

It's a new restriction that came in about a month ago because (I assume) the webmeisters running the site are concerned about storing too many large files.  You were lucky to do almost all of your thread before this rule was imposed because it's a royal PITA to have to resize all your photos!  Anyhow, here's a discussion about it:  http://forums.aaca.org/topic/309576-new-image-upload-size/

Your fabric choices look great and I'm sure I speak for us all when I say we are relieved that you are back on track!

Neil

• Like 1

Tuesday June 26, 2018:  Interior Kit Update :

I just had a pleasant conversation with Mr. David Costello up at LeBaron Bonney to confirm my new fabric choice for the panels.

So the original order from February, 2017 has been modified to reflect the following:

Panels:  2-LM  /  GB-5   

Seats:  2C  /  2-LM  /  GB-5

(The GB-5 is the brown leather that is used to trim out various parts..., edging for the carpet)

The new order will go down to production, then they have to fabricate the new kit.

I should expect delivery of the replacement kit on or about August 1, 2018

I'll keep you posted!

Gary

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Gary

Received my interior kit from Lebaron Bonney last Thursday and it was complete, not just the headliner. The shade for the rear window was back ordered but remainder appears to be there. In light of your problem with dye lots I removed all pieces and all appear to be in good condition. It was a  bit of a surprise as I had been told they would  rush the headliner but was unable to give estimate as to when remainder would be  complete. I had emailed and asked for some estimate and lo and behold received email saying entire order was to be shipped the week I contacted them. 

The discoloration you had--was it immediately present or did it occur after period of time?

Hope you receive in near future. 

Rod

• Like 1

Hi Gary,

i went and picked up my 32’ Olds interior last Thursday at LBHC and inquired when I was there and they filled me in some about your situation. Glad you were able to come to something that would work. The materials for our cars are getting difficult to get. My own interior was held up for the leather because of the leather’s color, not for it being leather. My convertible top was not done because the T-49 fabric wasn’t available, and from all places Hartzz that’s right down the road from LBHC. They have to wait for the next production run. Even the bowdrill cloth to cover the bows is back ordered in the color I need. 

On another note: when I was at LBHC, it looks like they’re revamping one of their production floors/areas so this could be why some things are taking a little longer too. All companies have to upgrade and improve at one time or another and it always effects production. This could be the case.

• Like 1

Hi guys!

So glad to hear your kits are being produced and delivered on time! 

Rod..  My 2-N Bedford Cord panels started turning green in about two - three months.  And it was very "splotchy" green.....  not the entire panel at one time.

And it happened while the panels were still in the boxes!  No sunlight / UV exposure at all. 

I think I should be taking delivery next week if the original schedule holds true.

Can't wait!

Gary

• Like 2