Garage & Car Barn Thread

alsancle

So my brother's  30x48  Morton building project is moving along.   I'll ask him if I can post pictures of it and the floor plan.  I thought this video was interesting on how the the foundation system.  Would be interested in feedback.  I know some guys have noted the wood framing vs full metal building.

• Like 2

So my brother gave me the ok to show you guys this.   His schedule build is May assuming he gets his permits.   He is responsible for site work and will do the electrical himself.   Morton is doing the foundation and putting up the building as you see in these pictures including windows and doors.

The building is 30x48 with 12 foot sidewalls.   Cost right now is 95k.  I told him to get the insulation quote as he will probably want Morton to do that too.   He is in Florida so I image same building where I am in New England would need to be more money to handle snow load.

Personally, I don't like the way he is chopping up the floorplan but he will only have 2 collector cars max,  3 if I talk him into storing one of mine.

BrothersMortonBuilding-1.jpg

BrothersMortonBuilding-2.jpg

BrothersMortonBuilding-3.jpg

• Like 1

Suggestion for your brothers building:    None require any changes to the structure, only the interior set up.

#1   Ditch the bench outside the store room.

#2  Move the shelves between the two doors into the store room

#3  Move the lift to outside the store room where the bench was, facing the store room.

#4  Put a massive window to the shop from the finished space.  (I used sliding glass door horizontily)

Results:   #1   Gain a parking spot between the two doors where the shelves were.

#2   Access the lift from the side door and gain a parking spot behind the lift

#3   Be able to leave a car on the lift and store one under it..

#4   You now have space for up to six vehicles.

Why:  Because you never have enough indoor parking, even in Florida.

P.P.S.   The drawing makes the building 35 Feet deep on the bathroom end.  15 + 5 +15=35.

My plan still works witha 10 X 15 Storeroom.

• Thanks 1

Also, lose the overhead door on the end. Unless he needs it for access Im not seeing the purpose of it. At 30ft deep anything parked in that last bay or on the lift will encroach on the door opening area. My shop is 24 feet deep and with a shelf at the end my f150 barely fits.

56 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Also, lose the overhead door on the end. Unless he needs it for access Im not seeing the purpose of it. At 30ft deep anything parked in that last bay or on the lift will encroach on the door opening area. My shop is 24 feet deep and with a shelf at the end my f150 barely fits.

I can see that door actually being quite useful depending on what work is going on in the shop - think about a rebuilt engine needing to go back into a car, no need to pull anything out to get the engine into the shop - cherry picker out that door off the back of the truck and right into position in front of the car.  Also looks like enough space to pull straight ahead into the other bay - 3 cars, 3 doors.

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

That gives you access to the back stall doesn't it?   Otherwise you have to do what we do at my dad's garage which is put the car on skids and spin it around.  Multiple guys and a pain in the rear.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

but he would lose a bench

You could always do the bench on wheels.  Just make them locking and it will be good for all but bending metal, or really thrashing on.  I'vge tried to make everything in my shop rolling.  I bought all new shelving and bins and they all are on wheels.  Not really all that expensive either.  

I like everything on wheels because regardless of how you lay anything out, you will never know how you really need the shop laid out until you use it for a while.  Having the two shop buildings I have been putting equipment on pallets and moving them with the tractor and forks as necessary.  Just mounted my new press to a short pallet with a plywood floor.  Used it in my smaller finished work shop for the week I needed it,  then moved it out to the big garage where i haven't touched it since. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

On 1/22/2022 at 7:42 PM, Barney Eaton said:

There are many great places to live (retire).   Many thing to consider,  one of the main considerations is health care.    

We don't think much about it when we are young and healthy but if you are of retirement age,  that automatically means you are getting older. 

Along with that goes the possibility of something (health wise) going wrong.    If you find a beautiful, inexpensive retirement location,  it probably means you

are somewhat remote.......... that also means you are further away from doctors and hospitals.........keep that in mind when looking for that retirement oasis. 

That is one of the reasons that we will stay in SE Michigan.  Great healthcare.  Average cost of living depending on where you locate in the area. Lots of things to do and tons of car related activities all summer.

Number one reason we will stay where we are,...Where the grandkids are, Grandma will be.  Healthcare ranks neck& neck with the number one reason.

• Like 2

Not sure how others deal with the issue of a overhead garage door where they have a lift,   

You must get the open door above the car on the lift,  everything together creates an issue if you use a 

standard garage door opener.

After the door was installed and the helper/balance springs adjusted,   I installed my opener along the end of the door

I had to make a bracket to attach to the door,  but it has been working for 20+ years.... I think one of the pictures also shows

that recently I installed one of those hood/trunk cylinders (that hold the hood or trunk open)  as the link between the garage door

and the door opener..........since it will compress several inches,  you get a good seal when it closes. 

IMG_0676.jpg

DSCN0542.JPG

opener III.jpg

• 1 year later...

These are man cave condos in Newport RI.   If you have not been to Newport make it your first stop in New England.  It is everything the Cape and Islands are not.   They are almost sold out but I saw a full depth one which would comfortably hold 6 cars for sale for 650K.    Not your average industrial condo.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/111-Harrison-Ave-Apt-9_Newport_RI_02840_M49278-82279

210621_55 John Clarke Architectural_Page_2

vault 4 web

Car Vault Possible LayoutTypical Building Cross Section

• Like 3

In 2001. I built a 28’ x 40’ barn with 11’ walls using attic trusses for storage upstairs. Once the foundation and 8” floor was dug and poured, I finished the ban by myself in 5 weeks. I built the wall framing in 8’ sections with window headers in place then stacked them as I built them. Once that was done, I went to a local pub at noontime one day and picked the two largest guys there and offered them $100 each for two hours of their time. They stood the wall frame while I secured it to the last one. Was done in 90 minutes. Took me three days to cover with board and baton siding. 
 Had a Crain come and while the wife guided the trusses, my real estate agent and I nailed the trusses to the pre-painted spots. Then had to climb up the ladder to place the ridge spacers. Started at 6 am and was finished by noon…and I do mean finished! Couldn’t move the next day.

Took me 8 days to maneuver and nail the 5/8” tongue and groove plywood. 
 I was only able to get the 80lb tar paper and slats on before having to go back to the Caribbean for charter season. I finished the roofing shingles the following spring. 
 A lot of work but I now have an open space for my collection that cost me just over $13k.

Glad I did it when I was 47 and not 69!!

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 12:31 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Occasionally Rocky would head-butt one of the dogs and they'd be like WTF, bro?

That's just the nature of the beast.

My dad had a sheep, a ram, that just LOVED it if you kicked him in the forehead. To him it was like "Oh yeah. Game on." Best be prepared for a kick/butt fest or just beat feet to safety............Bob

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

For all you that have followed this thread for the past 8 years,  dreams continue and our collections grow until we start talking

and thinking about things like "Downsizing, Retirement, Selling Off some things, OR building or dreaming about our dream garage.

For those of you who don't know about it, i recommend CARPROPERTY.COM.   It's a world wide marketplace for people like us.

The list and show property's with bug garages, car dealerships, gas stations, auto museums, etc. all over the United States and

worldwide.   They even have a map search so you can see what's available where you are thinking about going.

I plan on using them again when the downsizing and old age time comes, to list my 13 car garage mountain home in the Smoky

Mountains.   The picture listings are awesome, all car people places.   I used them when we sold our Florida home 10 years ago and

was not embarrassed to list my little pool home with a 5 car garage, there is something for everyone,   Keep it in mind,

P. S.  I never met a Realtor who thought a big garage was a selling feature, but I know better if you can be seen by other car people.

CarProperty.com

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is a kick ass carriage house.   You need to buy the mansion that goes with it,  but the 750K asking price buys you a small cookie cutter colonial in my neck of the woods.

Btw,  I'd like to think I'm pretty good with geography but the fact that there is a sliver of West Virginia wedged between Ohio and Penn escaped me all these years.  Judging by the other houses in the neighborhood,  there was some money in Wheeling WV around the turn of the last century.

image.jpeg.a292abbd14619a6bf0f3d83c96a6d91d.jpeg

https://www.captivatinghouses.com/2023/10/23/1900-mansion-for-sale-in-wheeling-west-virginia/

image.jpeg.34acbe17b3a71d34f567a348010319cf.jpeg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

This is a kick ass carriage house.   You need to buy the mansion that goes with it,  but the 750K asking price buys you a small cookie cutter colonial in my neck of the woods.

Btw,  I'd like to think I'm pretty good with geography but the fact that there is a sliver of West Virginia wedged between Ohio and Penn escaped me all these years.  Judging by the other houses in the neighborhood,  there was some money in Wheeling WV around the turn of the last century.

https://www.captivatinghouses.com/2023/10/23/1900-mansion-for-sale-in-wheeling-west-virginia/

What a cool place.

I see lots of fireplaces along with several radiators. I bet it's a major event to heat the place.

If this were up here in Oregon it would be 3 or 4 million.

On 7/9/2023 at 10:39 AM, jp1gt said:

I built the same exact shop in northern CA. Built it again when we moved to Southern CA. Half underground and triple insulation keeps the interior below 75 degrees all summer shop1.jpg.a179a7de608a675be06ec1702826afe4.jpg

shop2.jpg

I'm interested to know how well your compressor holds up outside.   I have one like it, but no more interior space for it.

My mom grew up in Akron Ohio.   Ohio has the nicest people in the country.   It also has the highest number of super cool old houses with carriage houses.  At 539K this place is smaller, nicer and cheaper than the last one I posted.   Check this out:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/400-N-Downing-St_Piqua_OH_45356_M97418-28972

image.png.1f6118f24a011e681bbcc99317e2491d.png

image.png.4d05cddee6c23cc1c199941764c8a9c2.png

image.png.2b4864dd8616687affc9a3422d73e1c0.png

image.png.052825ed3c195c273624d8a5b649073b.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2023 at 7:11 AM, alsancle said:

Beautiful home. Have been through Wheeling a number of times, last week most recently. I would have to be independently rich and have a helicopter to live there, then again if I were that rich I could find a better place, LOL. 

AJ, there is also just a sliver of W VA tucked between MD and VA right below Hagerstown. Although W VA and MD share a generous border the little part near Charlestown is still kind of silly.

• Like 1

The Ohio carriage house does look like it could stand some weatherstripping to tighten up doors but wow a ton of space.  Stylish without being gaudy.  Great looking place.  Also, if one is bored and snowed in during the dead of winter I suppose you could do some laps in that MGB! 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, alsancle said:

My mom grew up in Akron Ohio.   Ohio has the nicest people in the country.   It also has the highest number of super cool old houses with carriage houses.  At 539K this place is smaller, nicer and cheaper than the last one I posted.   Check this out:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/400-N-Downing-St_Piqua_OH_45356_M97418-28972

image.png.1f6118f24a011e681bbcc99317e2491d.png

image.png.4d05cddee6c23cc1c199941764c8a9c2.png

image.png.2b4864dd8616687affc9a3422d73e1c0.png

image.png.052825ed3c195c273624d8a5b649073b.png

My dad and his seven siblings all grew up in the Akron area and I spent my lifetime hanging out around there. Lots to love about that house!  It is stunning how far your dollar will go in certain parts of the country for a fabulous home. 

and those entry doors to the carriage house..........  as convenient as it is to push a button and have the door go up to drive out, I could get used to the charm of opening those things up to drive out in my toys.

• Like 2

Looking at the Ohio house I wonder what the space on the third floor with the big row of windows is?  Looks like an in town location, sure seems like a lot of space in general for location and price.

Bonus if it's a side street, does not look like a lot of setback but that is easier to live with if traffic is lighter of course.

Edit: took virtual tour place is really cool.  Huge game room, etc. On 3rd floor.  Heating and cooling though might be a bit scary!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I'm interested to know how well your compressor holds up outside.   I have one like it, but no more interior space for it.

I works just fine, it has to be covered of course. I live in southern ca where it is real dry. BTW the compressor is a 15hp 3 phase that I got to run on single phase with a bunch of capacitors. It fills the tank in nothing flat!!!

5 hours ago, jp1gt said:

I works just fine, it has to be covered of course. I live in southern ca where it is real dry. BTW the compressor is a 15hp 3 phase that I got to run on single phase with a bunch of capacitors. It fills the tank in nothing flat!!!

Thanks,  I think it's to humid here to leave it outside, but sure would be a lot quieter.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 4:11 AM, alsancle said:

Man what a place !!  The carriage house on the second one is better. But the brick house on 4 acres would be a dream come true. I just spent quite a bit more for a nice enough  but not even remotely in the same league house  on about the same sized piece of land.  Why can't places like this be in Western Canada. Actually there are a handfull, no problem if you can swing a 8 - 10 million $ price tag. But for the other 99.5 % of us a house like this would be heaven on earth.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2023 at 7:11 AM, alsancle said:

Judging by the other houses in the neighborhood,  there was some money in Wheeling WV around the turn of the last century.

Based on its proximity to Pittsburgh, my guess is the original owner was in the steel business, or something related to that industry (e.g., coal?).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Looking at the Ohio house I wonder what the space on the third floor with the big row of windows is?  Looks like an in town location, sure seems like a lot of space in general for location and price.

Bonus if it's a side street, does not look like a lot of setback but that is easier to live with if traffic is lighter of course.

Edit: took virtual tour place is really cool.  Huge game room, etc. On 3rd floor.  Heating and cooling though might be a bit scary!

Steve,  you know the old saying "If you have to ask how much it is to heat it maybe you shouldn't buy it".   A paraphrase but you get it the idea.   This particular house in OH looked to be in great shape so you at least you aren't going bankrupt on the renovations.    That small city is in the middle of nowhere.  So as soon as you get out of town you can drive for miles on backroads.    There is access to the carriage house on both sides, but the ally entrance the car better be that MGB and not a long wheelbase Duesenberg.

1 minute ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Above Akron place it it's day... wow!  But, if inanimate objects could talk -

Stutz "Well, he spent xxx on me and is still going..."

House "Hold my beer" 

Makes me sad cause it needs so much work.   Anyone that has tried to just replace a water heater lately knows that the costs of renovation would be insane.  But the house is beautiful.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Based on its proximity to Pittsburgh, my guess is the original owner was in the steel business, or something related to that industry (e.g., coal?).

I read the history of Wheeling just because I was wondering what the story with that was.  It was once the capital of WV.

"Due to its location along major transportation routes, including the Ohio River, National Road, and the B&O Railroad, Wheeling became a manufacturing center in the late nineteenth century. "

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Makes me sad cause it needs so much work.   Anyone that has tried to just replace a water heater lately knows that the costs of renovation would be insane.  But the house is beautiful.

House is a gem and I am shocked it has obviously been in disrepair for a very long time.

Sometimes houses can be victims of odd situations.  Our typical neighborhood consists of places largely built between 1958 to 68, comfy but not estates.  An established neighborhood.  Not far from us is a once tidy L shaped ranch, that has been slowly deteriorating for 15 years and while someone does basics you can tell it's empty.  A couple months ago my wife was walking the dog by and saw some guys loading 2 corvettes from out of the garage onto a hauler.  She doesn't know years that well but one at least had chrome bumpers.  Makes you wonder - probate? Absentee owners, snowbirds who just never come home or what? But not unlike cars I wonder what it would take to restore the place now. ..

• Like 1

when you get outside of more affluent urban areas, you can find some houses that were built when these little towns we’re thriving and local business people had money to build a custom dream home around the turn of the century.

I grew up in a small blue collar farming and factory town in Indiana. We have a place on a lake down in that area that we spend time at, mainly in the summer, and hope to spend at least four months in the summer there when we we retire.

The next town over is Delphi Indiana. Population about 7,000.  About five years ago this home came on the market and I was smitten. 1 foot thick interior walls with pocket doors to compartmentalize formal rooms and parlors, the entire attic was open with all the dormers configuring such an interesting and irregular ceiling. Grounds just begging to be revitalized, and the carriage house that was Two stories with a footprint that appeared to be at least 1600 ft.² to me.

it’s sold for 144,000. I’m still kind of sick about it, it would’ve consumed me. You could have another half million million in it  before you even blinked, but oh was the home worthy of it.  As I get older, I learn more and more how sometimes it is a blessing to not get the things you want.  I don’t have the finances to buy a house like this and tell contractors to get busy and make it perfect.....and I don’t have the time to do it myself.  

image.jpeg.3378d68badbd5e6ae33f154fc91059cf.jpeg

image.jpeg.727e4648beda9b830611f20eeff26355.jpeg

image.jpeg.38ff59e00cf11ef62843954f6cd53920.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John Bloom said:

when you get outside of more affluent urban areas, you can find some houses that were built when these little towns we’re thriving and local business people had money to build a custom dream home around the turn of the century.

I grew up in a small blue collar farming and factory town in Indiana. We have a place on a lake down in that area that we spend time at, mainly in the summer, and hope to spend at least four months in the summer there when we we retire.

The next town over is Delphi Indiana. Population about 7,000.  About five years ago this home came on the market and I was smitten. 1 foot thick interior walls with pocket doors to compartmentalize formal rooms and parlors, the entire attic was open with all the dormers configuring such an interesting and irregular ceiling. Grounds just begging to be revitalized, and the carriage house that was Two stories with a footprint that appeared to be at least 1600 ft.² to me.

it’s sold for 144,000. I’m still kind of sick about it, it would’ve consumed me. You could have another half million million in it  before you even blinked, but oh was the home worthy of it.  As I get older, I learn more and more how sometimes it is a blessing to not get the things you want.  I don’t have the finances to buy a house like this and tell contractors to get busy and make it perfect.....and I don’t have the time to do it myself.  

image.jpeg.3378d68badbd5e6ae33f154fc91059cf.jpeg

image.jpeg.727e4648beda9b830611f20eeff26355.jpeg

image.jpeg.38ff59e00cf11ef62843954f6cd53920.jpeg

Bullet dodged.  Cool house though.  Carriage house pictures?

30 years ago my wife and I fell in love with this place.  The estate had been bought up by Toll Brothers and was being subdivided.  The the remaining lot was going to be 2.75 acres but when we looked nothing ad been done but some stakes.  So you had the original 1500 foot drive and you need to imagine it surrounded by houses.

Thankfully we brought my parents on the second visit and my dad beat me with a stick.    Now that I think about it, he talked me out of a lot of bad house ideas.  It did have a great carriage house that would hold 4 cars.

ghows-WL-91c0a7c7-4368-4d23-862b-fbac059f611e-c348fe90.webp.54f96b1204944c54db27141a40fc7c53.webp

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Bullet dodged.  Cool house though.  Carriage house pictures?

30 years ago my wife and I fell in love with this place.  The estate had been bought up by Toll Brothers and was being subdivided.  The the remaining lot was going to be 2.75 acres but when we looked nothing ad been done but some stakes.  So you had the original 1500 foot drive and you need to imagine it surrounded by houses.

Thankfully we brought my parents on the second visit and my dad beat me with a stick.    Now that I think about it, he talked me out of a lot of bad house ideas.  It did have a great carriage house that would hold 4 cars.

ghows-WL-91c0a7c7-4368-4d23-862b-fbac059f611e-c348fe90.webp.54f96b1204944c54db27141a40fc7c53.webp

Under Dad job description should be “ making sure your kids don’t make horrible financial decisions“

my dad gently steered me away from the edge of a cliff a few times. When I got older and turned into a “semi version of him”, we would laugh about it.

• Like 5