Favorite Pictures of My Pre War Buick

MrEarl

We all like pictures! Soooo

This thread is for posting pictures of YOUR Pre War Buicks. Just pictures and a brief description. It will help us all know who has what and sort of put a car to a person so to speak.

Still post more detailed pictures and dialogue in the Me and My Buick forum please!

So let's see them! and who knows, maybe your car will end up featured in a calendar some day.

• Like 1

Hmm, don't know if I should talk about my addiction. Luckily my wife ( she who must be obeyed ) points out on occasion the shed is full and something needs to go so I move on. I particularly like restoring Roadsters and Convertible Coupes ( but haven't restricted myself to only soft tops ). My first Buick Roadster was a 1928 Standard 28-24X - Flint built RHD ( as opposed to Holden bodied )

20328roadster-med.jpg

Then I restored a Holden bodied 1930 Buick Series 40 sedan and a modern car - a 1950 Super Jetback Sedanet

Then along came an unrestored and very rare 1934 Series 40 Roadster ( Holden bodied ) which I thought should be restored. This is when I got a reminder about how many cars can one person have!! So off went the 28-24X to a new owner in the UK, needless to say I miss it.

But this softened the blow somewhat and kept me off the streets for a couple of years.

34%20Roadster%20vaa449.jpg

Great car, fast and nimble and had absolutely no problem driving in modern traffic - excellent mechanical brakes ( there's a secret to those when restoring ) and I travelled over 5000 miles in it.

BUT, along came a 1936 Century Convertible Coupe. It was neglected and needed a helping hand - so, with an understanding wife it came home. I worked on it for a few years and when it neared completion a few hints suggested I might have a car too many ( can that happen? ). So off went the 34 Roadster to a new owner over east where it continues to be well used and now I am hitting the road in this.

1st run 001 (800x600).jpg

Now I have a real dilemma. I have a 1929 Master 29-54CCX sitting in the shed. Another big restoration but I have picked up a few critical spares for it. I'm tinkering at the moment but it may be time to get stuck into this in earnest -

009.jpg

101_6801 (800x600).jpg

101_6782 (800x600).jpg

One day it could look like this

192954CC4.jpg

We'll see!! 

AND Mr EARL - you want a pre war convertible don't you? 

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)
  • Like 12

OH Stuart!, you messed up big time son, by letting that 1928 - 24X go.  That Buick is downright absolutely beautiful!!  I don't care if it is a Standard model, it looks like it's doing a 100 mph just setting there.  Everything about that car that can be seen in the photo looks perfect.  The color combination, the proportions, the golf bag door, and I could go on almost forever about that Buick.  Be still my beating heart!  It is possible to fall instantly in love with an automobile and I just did with that roadster!  Your '34 is nice too, but not as nice as that 1928.  There is just something about an open car that cannot be described.  I can just visualize myself and this little gal that I live with in that roadster heading down a two lane country blacktop lookin' for a place to pull over and have a picnic all by our lonesome.  Yes Sir!

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

• Like 2

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 9:28 AM, Terry Wiegand said:

OH Stuart!, you messed up big time son, by letting that 1928 - 24X go.  That Buick is downright absolutely beautiful!!  I don't care if it is a Standard model, it looks like it's doing a 100 mph just setting there.  Everything about that car that can be seen in the photo looks perfect.  The color combination, the proportions, the golf bag door, and I could go on almost forever about that Buick.  Be still my beating heart!  It is possible to fall instantly in love with an automobile and I just did with that roadster!  Your '34 is nice too, but not as nice as that 1928.  There is just something about an open car that cannot be described.  I can just visualize myself and this little gal that I live with in that roadster heading down a two lane country blacktop lookin' for a place to pull over and have a picnic all by our lonesome.  Yes Sir!

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

Now I feel bad!!!

A couple more photos for you to enjoy - top down. My favourite photo is the last in black and white - taken from a friends 38 Plymouth business coupe as he managed to pass.

img-160329154611-001.jpg

img-160329154647-001.jpg

img-160329154709-001.jpg

img-160329154732-001.jpg

Edited by 50jetback
fixed the photos (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I hope everyone who has been working away over the winter on their projects are getting close to their goal of a road ready car for Spring. I got my 41 66S into the shop at the beginning of February for a phase one going over. The right side fenders got swapped out as well as the hood for starters. Fresh cooling system with modern core and lots of tidying up of fragile wiring loom etc etc. I also removed from just the front right side front suspension and frame almost 40 lbs of Pacific Northwest mud asphalt, volcanic ash and two S&W shell casings. I actually weighed it out on the shop scale. Almost ready to slap the historic plates on it. Waiting on the under seat heater cores to be re soldered. She still is sitting on jacks until the heater is re installed.

P3298164.JPG

P4018182.JPG

P4018186.JPG

20160213_113410.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave, I have always been inclined to mount WW's on my vintage cars especially rag tops but there is something sinister about black walls on this car that I like. I think of it as the early muscle car it is and in that regard WW's are a bit too charming. I heard a great line about WW's on a formal car being akin to wearing a black tux with sneakers. I have skirts for it but not sure I will mount them as they have a cruiser look and I am not into the Fulton sun visor, skirts, twin spotlights and wide white wall look for this ride. That's why I will keep the black rims and not go with the popular red. Red is just too cute on a 66S...for me anyway.

Here is what it looked like when I first saw it, the photo is from the seller last year.

BBB4.jpg

Brians Buick 3.jpg

• Like 10

And, OH!!!!! I don't care for VISOR'S either, hehe, get it Ben, Lol

Slows the car down 10% toooooooooooo!  Eats gas, and the list goes on, and on.  Totally destroys the car lines, but, but, but, if you like, that's fine with me.

When Buick came out with the built in mini visor in 54, I said, OH MY, OH MY, WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

Fun is FUN, love this site though,

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

On 4/5/2016 at 1:34 PM, Lawrence Helfand said:

Hi Dave, I have always been inclined to mount WW's on my vintage cars especially rag tops but there is something sinister about black walls on this car that I like. I think of it as the early muscle car it is and in that regard WW's are a bit too charming. I heard a great line about WW's on a formal car being akin to wearing a black tux with sneakers. I have skirts for it but not sure I will mount them as they have a cruiser look and I am not into the Fulton sun visor, skirts, twin spotlights and wide white wall look for this ride. That's why I will keep the black rims and not go with the popular red. Red is just too cute on a 66S...for me anyway.

I have to agree--the blackwalls look AWESOME!

I hope to have my Century project back in gear shortly, albeit in a shop that's not my own, I think often about how to paint it. On the one hand, it was originally gray over black, and the sedanette seems to be made for two-tone. But then I go back to all black with blackwalls just like this, and I can't argue with how brutal it looks. Fantastic!

In the meantime, I'm enjoying working on the '41 Limited--it's been a while since I worked on a car of my own simply for enjoyment. Just today I got the little flap in the defroster working (the one that is controlled by the fresh air knob over on the passenger's side). I also got the turn signals working and have cured 95% of the exhaust noise, so it runs smooth and quiet. Last night I tweaked the fit of the exhaust system so the intermediate pipe doesn't hit the frame, so no more CLUNK CLUNK when I hit a bump. Acquired one of the little stainless trim pieces that fits on the rubber stone guard between the rocker and the fender skirt, still looking for one for the right side. Hopefully it'll be ready to rock for Allentown!

DSC_8646a.jpg

DSC_8678a.jpg

Together2a.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful 39 Coupe! J.Velde..Taste is a funny thing and very subjective of course and I believe it changes over time from a personal standpoint if not an academic one. Since realizing an affinity for wheeled goods as a child I have seen my own evolution in what I think is "cool" and its a personal journey that only needs to satisfy ones self. I think it would be a bland world if we all danced to one beat so bring on the visors WW dummy spots et al but I really do draw the line at giant rims and low profile tires on vintage cars...just kidding its a hoot really.

Edited by Lawrence Helfand (see edit history)

Love this thread which I just found today. so here is a photo of my 39 sedan. It was sold new in New Zealand in December 1939. It is a RHD  NZ assembled Buick with  a Fisher body not the Holden body seen on many Australian Buicks. It a Special but was sold with the Century external and internal trim. (hence the outside trim on the windows and the centre rear seat arm rest) It has been in my wife's family since 1972 and was our wedding car in 1994 and also for her sister in 1995. I purchased the car of the family estate in 2002 and have over the last 4  years done an extensive frame on restoration that started out small but ended up huge. I have the original ownership documents for the sedan that records all of the owners and when and where  it was purchased .

And Stuart's 34 Roadster has moved home to the east Coast of Australia and lives here with me and I have it out driving most weekends

Cheers

Andrew

DSCF6567.jpg

DSCF6571.jpg

DSCF6570.jpg

DSCF6568.jpg

20150621_195503.jpg

Edited by Anzac Buick64
Forgot to sign off. (see edit history)
  • Like 11

Well...... here goes....

These are some photo's of my '41 Buick, which I have owned since 1963.  I won't go into the long story as to how I came to own the car, but it was my daily driver in my senior year at collage at GMI in Flint.  My wife and I dated in the Buick before we got married after my graduation.  After we were married and I bought a new 1965 Chevrolet SS, I thought about selling the Buick, but I just liked it too much to let it go (I never was very good at selling cars), so it saw occasional summer time use.  I was already a member of the BCCA when it folded in 1965, and finally decided to join that new club, the BCA (member 2098).  When I heard about the BCA National Meet being planned in Flint for 1971, I wrote Terry Dunham to see if my car was OK to enter the show.  He wrote back and said "it's a Buick, of course you should bring it".  It was after that show that a group of us formed the Buicktown Chapter of the BCA.  The family and I enjoyed many tours and events with our chapter over the years.  The 2003 100th Anniversary meet that our Chapter hosted was a high point.  By 2009 the '41 was getting a little tired looking, so being a part of the family for so long, we decided it was time to freshen her up.  John Williams agreed to take on the job, so off it went.  Three years later (and many trips to John's place to lend a helping hand) she came back home. John had named her "Domino", so I guess the name stuck (at least in John's mind).  We always called her "The 41".  Well, that's the story in a nut shell.  More Buicks have been added over the years, but the '41 is still the original family member.

The first photo shows the '41 at a park in 1963, when my wife and I were still dating.

The second photo show the '41 at the first National BCA meet in Flint, 1971.

The third photo shows the '41 at the 2003 National Meet, parked with the B-42 display.  Maybe some of you remember it.

The fourth photo show the '41 at the same show, parked next to the Buick built Hellcat tank, after the show was over.  One of my favorite shots.

The fifth photo show the '41 at John's shop, bare naked!

the sixth, seventh, and eighth photo's show the '41 after it's "freshening up".

Hope I didn't bore everyone.  If not, I'll add the story of my 1938 convertible coupe later.

41 BUICK - 1963.jpg

2 - 1971 National Buick Show, Flint, MI.jpg3 - 2003 National BCA Show, B-24 Display.JPG4 - 41 & Hellcat Tank 2003.jpg5 - Time for a Refresh.jpg6 - 2012.JPG7 - 2012.JPG8 - 2012.JPG3 - 2003 National Buick Meet, Flint, MI.bmp

• Like 17

On 4/9/2016 at 7:51 PM, First Born said:

You guys are about to convince me to take the visor off mine.

Ben 

Ben,

I like the visor on your car  --  it is "IN CHARACTER", and each one is an individual

• Like 2

Our all-original 1937 Roadmaster 80C was purchased by the City of New York to serve as a Parade Car for Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia - "Little Flower".  Fiorello retains all of the original interior, convertible top, drive-line, and paint (with touch-up to a few battle-scars received during parade service). 

The Roadmaster transported Sports and Political Dignitaries such as President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Vice-President Harry S. Truman, General Dwight David Eisenhower, General Douglas MacArthur, British Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill, and many others as it served the city through the mid-1950s or later, perhaps into the early 1960s. The big Buick Roadmaster convertible sedan (Phaeton in Buick Parlance) is believed to have spent many years with Case Western Reserve University's Crawford Museum of Aviation and Auto History before being auctioned int the property of Cedric Blazer and Dr. Michael Werckle of Rockford/Caledonia, Illinois. After many years of bargaining back and forth, and following Mr Blazer's passing, Dr. Werckle assisted me in negotiating with Blazer's estate, and after a half-year, the agreement was reached for me to acquire the then 7,xxx mile piece of history.  

Thorough preparation, careful maintenance, and the ultimate discovery of how to correct a long-standing brake master cylinder mis-assembly have enabled our family, friends, and several local brides to bask in the glow of this "Moment in Time" - Fiorello, the 1937 Roadmaster Phaeton.1937 BUICK OPEN - 2012 GLIDDEN - TEXAS.jpg

1937 Buick at St Bernard - right front.JPG

1937 Buick at St Bernard - front.JPG

1937 Buick - Sarah Wedding 1.jpg

1937 Buick Front night in New Orleans.jpg

1937 Buick Front Left Quarter.JPG

1937 Buick Front and Center.JPG

1937 Buick Left Front - Sarah's Wedding.jpg

1937 Roadmaster 80C Dash 2.jpg

1937 Buick Dash- left.JPG

1937 Buick Left Rear - Esplanade Ave.jpg

Founders Western PA 2010 1937 Buick 088.jpg

1937 Buick on 2010 Founders tour 003.jpg

1937 Buick on 2010 Founders tour 002.jpg

1937 Buick on 2010 Founders tour 001.jpg

Founders Western PA 2010 1937 Buick 066.jpg

Founders Western PA 2010 1937 Buick 017.jpg

Founders Western PA 2010 1937 Buick 016.jpg

1937 Buick with marty and Nathan.shs

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 14

These are some great pictures of membership cars. Wonderful Thread.

Here are some favorites of my 28 Buick Standard Sport Touring.

The oldest ones are from 1948. The man standing next to the car is my granddad.

The one with all the family was taken in the summer of 55. That's my dad driving and my two older sisters plus me in back and a family friend. The last ones are about 2008. 

Thanks

Dave_B

02-12-2008_08.jpgBBin48b.jpg28 Buick with da Fam.jpgDSC01940.JPGDSC01968.JPGDSC01972.JPG

Edited by Dave_B
Punctuation (see edit history)
  • Like 16

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:42 PM, First Born said:

Thank you Marty,  I do think about trying a few hundred miles without  it to check mileage. Maybe not. 

Ben

Ben, if you take that " air brake " off  you would have to allow extra braking distance from the vehicle in front!

• Like 3