MrEarl

Favorite Pictures of My Pre War Buick

Neil, see if it matches the paint inside the trunk. Often they don't repaint in there.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Yes, the paint matches inside the trunk and the door jambs, so I'm pretty sure it was the original color.  But one person who saw the car told me that it's not correct Titian Maroon, so it's hard to figure out exactly what's going on.

It could be Royal Maroon, which is a bit lighter than Titan Maroon, and that is the colour that my '41 Roadmaster is. If I were to judge based on the colour on my screen, (risky, as there are too many variables) I would say its' Royal Maroon. Titan Maroon would render nearly black on the screen, I think. Compare this shot to the pictures of my car.

Keith

On 5/4/2017 at 7:43 PM, Buicknutty said:

It could be Royal Maroon, which is a bit lighter than Titan Maroon, and that is the colour that my '41 Roadmaster is. If I were to judge based on the colour on my screen, (risky, as there are too many variables) I would say its' Royal Maroon. Titan Maroon would render nearly black on the screen, I think. Compare this shot to the pictures of my car.

Keith

From the comparison we did before (cars and hats), it sure looks like our cars are the same color so I'm happy to learn the correct color of my car.  I think you are correct about true Titian Maroon looking black on the screen.  I have also posted a pic of a Titian Maroon convertible that I thought was black when I first saw the pic.

Buick #1.jpg

post-77136-143142212472.jpg

20150517_152654_resized.jpg

• Like 6

Yeah, it's a beauty.  It belongs to a former owner of my car.  Here's another shot that shows the Titian Maroon better.

20150517_152604_resized.jpg

• Like 5

Yes looks about right for Titan Maroon, give or take, like I said before. I spent most of my career in the colour print and photography biz, so I know first hand how colours change.

I must add, that the convert looks absolutely spectacular. Great looking cars, and the colour suits well, plus the skirts and "Elephant Ears" complete the "look".

Keith

Great looking car - very nice!

Redneck jack stands. If the only tool you have is a chainsaw, every job is a tree.

Brake job on a 1940 Special. Got the drums turned today.

DSCN1018.JPG

• Like 5

Just thought I would add a pic or two of my '39 Limited.  Drove her to the meets in Colorado and Iowa, then I got smart and bought a trailer for her.

She is fun to drive on the two lane highways, but there is something to be said for peace of mind, not worrying about a break down or damage.

The first pic is from Allentown last year.  The second, our local restored movie theatre was showing Casablanca and asked me to park her out front!

2016-07-30 09.51.08.jpg

Casablanca39buick.jpg

• Like 11

These are two of my most recent photos of my '36 which my mother has recently names "Rita" 

unnamed.png

buick close up.png

• Like 4

Bucket List Item #1 - Get Nice Old Car.  DONE  Item #2 - Retire.  DONE  Item #3 - GO!  In Process. 1937 Buick Special 40. And Special it is!!

BuickDrivewayCar.jpg

BuickInside.jpg

BuickEngine.jpg

• Like 2

I got two new things to dress up my '41 today:

1.  My new plates from the DMV.  I originally wanted YOM plates, but when I found out how much I would have to pay for a matched set, I opted for a vanity plate instead, and was very happy to find that this plate was available in the "heritage" yellow on black.  I was very impressed with the trick license plate attachment set up that Buick provided for the front bumper.

2.  My new BCA sticker that I can proudly display as a newly-minted member.  I'm # 49320!  I am so grateful for the clubs -- they are the lifeblood of the hobby.

20170622_151945.jpg

20170622_152108.jpg

• Like 6

I really like this one from this year's PWD After Tour last week.  Downtown Baraboo, Wisconsin lunch stop.  My 1923 Model 45, Rob Swearinger's 1924 Model 45 and Larry Di Barry's 1937.

DSCF6185_thumb_JPG_4f333955d6a67ddb4117640aa5b33d06.jpg

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Not a photo of a Buick, strictly speaking, but I get a kick out of the very "pre-war" look of the cars depicted on these signs which are still in use all over San Francisco!

20170822_093543.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/6/2017 at 2:53 PM, neil morse said:

From the comparison we did before (cars and hats), it sure looks like our cars are the same color so I'm happy to learn the correct color of my car.  I think you are correct about true Titian Maroon looking black on the screen.  I have also posted a pic of a Titian Maroon convertible that I thought was black when I first saw the pic.

Buick #1.jpg

post-77136-143142212472.jpg

20150517_152654_resized.jpg

Now that is really a beautiful Buick, and I don't even like blackwall tires most times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first attempt to photograph my Buick in a period setting in a period style.  (Westlake Joe's in Daly City, CA.)

Westlake_Joe.jpg

• Like 4

My '41 seems to be a magnet for Mercurys!  Here are pics of what I happened upon on my last two outings: a nice '49 Mercury sedan and a magnificent '51 convertible.  I pulled up next to the '51 at a stoplight, and the owner was kind enough to follow me to a nearby park so I could take a photo.

I thought the side-by-side shot with the '49 is interesting because it really shows the difference between the height of pre-war versus post-war cars.  The Merc looks like it sits about 6 inches lower than my '41.

IMG_20170823_190745_586.jpg

IMG_20170928_145313_577.jpg

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Morton, time to correct the guys in Norway.  Buick refers to the 50 series as the Super's, yours is a 56S or a Sport Coupe.  The breakdown for the 1940 series 50 is below and will be important to know when ordering parts.  The body is indeed the Torpedo body as Dave noted above which is wider for the lack of running boards.  The 50 series cars have the shorter front end with the smaller of the two engine offerings that year.  For some reason, possibly because there were so many "Special's", I've seen many Buicks referred to as such.  Yours is a beautiful car!

51 - four door sedan

51C - four door convertible

56S - 2 door sport coupe

56C - 2 door convertible

59 - 4 door estate wagon