Favorite Pictures of My Pre War Buick

MrEarl

I am brand new to this forum, and brand new to Buicks, having just acquired this beauty four days ago.  But if it's not too presumptuous, I'm going to go ahead and post a photo.  I am thrilled to have found this forum, and very grateful for the reception I have received.  I have very little history on the car, and a million questions.  Here's one for today: somewhere along the line, this car lost its data plate.  I think it's been repainted in a correct 1941 Buick color, but I don't know if it was the original color.  It looks the same as the car in post #110, above.  Is it Titian Maroon?

Buick #1.jpg

• Like 8

GORGEOUS car sir! Love the Titian Maroon, it was called Titian Red in '54. Neil you may get better exposure to questions if you post them in the pre war forum, this thread is more just for pictures. I'm sure the rest of the members would love to see your car too, maybe post in the Me and My Buick forum also. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

GORGEOUS car sir! Love the Titian Maroon, it was called Titian Red in '54. Neil you may get better exposure to questions if you post them in the pre war forum, this thread is more just for pictures. I'm sure the rest of the members would love to see your car too, maybe post in the Me and My Buick forum also. 

Thank you, MrEarl.  I have already started two threads posting questions (and got lots of great answers), and I understand this thread is more just for pictures.  But it's just that I have so many questions about my car that I can't stop asking them! ^_^

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Yes, the paint matches inside the trunk and the door jambs, so I'm pretty sure it was the original color.  But one person who saw the car told me that it's not correct Titian Maroon, so it's hard to figure out exactly what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...

It could be Royal Maroon, which is a bit lighter than Titan Maroon, and that is the colour that my '41 Roadmaster is. If I were to judge based on the colour on my screen, (risky, as there are too many variables) I would say its' Royal Maroon. Titan Maroon would render nearly black on the screen, I think. Compare this shot to the pictures of my car.

Keith

On 5/4/2017 at 7:43 PM, Buicknutty said:

It could be Royal Maroon, which is a bit lighter than Titan Maroon, and that is the colour that my '41 Roadmaster is. If I were to judge based on the colour on my screen, (risky, as there are too many variables) I would say its' Royal Maroon. Titan Maroon would render nearly black on the screen, I think. Compare this shot to the pictures of my car.

Keith

From the comparison we did before (cars and hats), it sure looks like our cars are the same color so I'm happy to learn the correct color of my car.  I think you are correct about true Titian Maroon looking black on the screen.  I have also posted a pic of a Titian Maroon convertible that I thought was black when I first saw the pic.

Buick #1.jpg

post-77136-143142212472.jpg

20150517_152654_resized.jpg

• Like 8

Yes looks about right for Titan Maroon, give or take, like I said before. I spent most of my career in the colour print and photography biz, so I know first hand how colours change.

I must add, that the convert looks absolutely spectacular. Great looking cars, and the colour suits well, plus the skirts and "Elephant Ears" complete the "look".

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would add a pic or two of my '39 Limited.  Drove her to the meets in Colorado and Iowa, then I got smart and bought a trailer for her.

She is fun to drive on the two lane highways, but there is something to be said for peace of mind, not worrying about a break down or damage.

The first pic is from Allentown last year.  The second, our local restored movie theatre was showing Casablanca and asked me to park her out front!

2016-07-30 09.51.08.jpg

Casablanca39buick.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got two new things to dress up my '41 today:

1.  My new plates from the DMV.  I originally wanted YOM plates, but when I found out how much I would have to pay for a matched set, I opted for a vanity plate instead, and was very happy to find that this plate was available in the "heritage" yellow on black.  I was very impressed with the trick license plate attachment set up that Buick provided for the front bumper.

2.  My new BCA sticker that I can proudly display as a newly-minted member.  I'm # 49320!  I am so grateful for the clubs -- they are the lifeblood of the hobby.

20170622_151945.jpg

20170622_152108.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/6/2017 at 2:53 PM, neil morse said:

From the comparison we did before (cars and hats), it sure looks like our cars are the same color so I'm happy to learn the correct color of my car.  I think you are correct about true Titian Maroon looking black on the screen.  I have also posted a pic of a Titian Maroon convertible that I thought was black when I first saw the pic.

Buick #1.jpg

post-77136-143142212472.jpg

20150517_152654_resized.jpg

Now that is really a beautiful Buick, and I don't even like blackwall tires most times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My '41 seems to be a magnet for Mercurys!  Here are pics of what I happened upon on my last two outings: a nice '49 Mercury sedan and a magnificent '51 convertible.  I pulled up next to the '51 at a stoplight, and the owner was kind enough to follow me to a nearby park so I could take a photo.

I thought the side-by-side shot with the '49 is interesting because it really shows the difference between the height of pre-war versus post-war cars.  The Merc looks like it sits about 6 inches lower than my '41.

IMG_20170823_190745_586.jpg

IMG_20170928_145313_577.jpg

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Morton, time to correct the guys in Norway.  Buick refers to the 50 series as the Super's, yours is a 56S or a Sport Coupe.  The breakdown for the 1940 series 50 is below and will be important to know when ordering parts.  The body is indeed the Torpedo body as Dave noted above which is wider for the lack of running boards.  The 50 series cars have the shorter front end with the smaller of the two engine offerings that year.  For some reason, possibly because there were so many "Special's", I've seen many Buicks referred to as such.  Yours is a beautiful car!

51 - four door sedan

51C - four door convertible

56S - 2 door sport coupe

56C - 2 door convertible

59 - 4 door estate wagon

On ‎28‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 10:10 PM, kgreen said:

Morton, time to correct the guys in Norway.  Buick refers to the 50 series as the Super's, yours is a 56S or a Sport Coupe.  The breakdown for the 1940 series 50 is below and will be important to know when ordering parts.  The body is indeed the Torpedo body as Dave noted above which is wider for the lack of running boards.  The 50 series cars have the shorter front end with the smaller of the two engine offerings that year.  For some reason, possibly because there were so many "Special's", I've seen many Buicks referred to as such.  Yours is a beautiful car!

51 - four door sedan

51C - four door convertible

56S - 2 door sport coupe

56C - 2 door convertible

59 - 4 door estate wagon

hi, this is really helpfull as cars paperwork say special coupe series 40. will start my own thread, thanks. -m-

• Like 1

On ‎29‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 12:27 AM, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Yeah it's a 56S, called a Super Sport Coupe here. When you use the shop manual and other documentation, the correct info for it will be for the Super. Looks very nice btw. You will love it, they drive very nicely.

thanks real helpfull, will start own thread so dont highjack this thread.

These photos or similar ones have appeared elsewhere on this forum but they fit here,too. The 1925  Standard Six Four Passenger Coupe was restored in the '70's and sat for 37 years.I bought it in July 2017 and just got it all sorted out in time to put it away again for the winter.

The 1929 McLaughlin-Buick Master Close-coupled sedan  underwent a ten year year restoration from cow scratching post to show winner.I bought it several years ago.

1925 Buick ready to show ! 001.JPG

Bonnie and Clyde er Jim 14.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We went shopping yesterday and it was a nice cool day. I took this picture of our car as it is about a tear after it was painted. This car has never been apart and even when it was painted it was just sanded and carefully masked and sprayed with single stage paint, no clear. Nothing was taken off except the tail light lenses. It runs like brand new, we use it daily.

BITCHEN DR SIDE FRONT.JPG

• Like 12