Favorite Pictures of My Pre War Buick

MrEarl

• 2 weeks later...

While this is not 'my' car, I do own the AUG 03 1941-dated Kodachrome slide this picture is created from. I just determined the make and model of this car from my recently purchased slide.

1940 Buick Century Series 61 Phaeton convertible

5a640bd733d00_1940BuickCenturyConvertiblePhaetonSeries61C-AUG_30_1941_wm.thumb.jpg.b2cd275d52168b09befefeac60d5d839.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This photo of my 1925 Buick Standard Touring was taken the day I brought the car home.  The car in the background is a 1922 Dodge Brothers Touring.  The Dodge is a neighbors car that I have been restoring mechanically.  The reason I like this photo is I had never driven or considered a pre-war car before working on the Dodge.  It was a lot of fun to fix mechanically with my son.  It is a fun car to drive even with a top speed under 40 and 2 wheel brakes that still need some service and more importantly - stopping distance.  My son and I try to show each other who is better at shifting and not grinding gears.  What caught my eye was that the Buick shows the emergence of body styling.  The Dodge has a 4 cylinder engine, and a small engine compartment that flares out to the body section.  On the Buick we now have a larger engine (6 cylinder) and they have created a straight body line from the top of the radiator shell to around the body section.  This also created a narrower windshield.  The tires are also increased in size significantly with the advent of balloon tires. 1925 being the first year.  Both cars have wood spoke wheels.   The Buick has 4 wheel brakes.  A big improvement implemented in 1924.  

Another thing about the Buick.  There are several items wrong visually with the car which I did not figure out until later.  The answer is below if you want to study the picture before looking at the answers.  

5ab7db494d38e_2015-06-1009_39_50.thumb.jpg.6d3ecdd1379387a61570aa585ca1606f.jpg

1) I thought the paint was original because it did not have a lot of layers.  The black is, but the body paint is a worn out respray.

2) 1924 and 1926 Buicks had fluted headlight lenses and smooth reflectors.  1925 has fluted reflectors and flat glass.  These are Ford model A fluted glass put on backwards so you cant read the Ford script

3) This is a 1926 radiator shell as it is more rounded and 1/2" deeper than a 1925 shell

4) The mud pan is from an earlier 6 cylinder car.  The early 6 and Master radiators had the crank that went thru the radiator shell.  On a standard, the crank is below the radiator shell.  There is not supposed to be a big gap between the shell and the mud pan.

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The weather got into the 80's here today, so I dropped my plastic crate behind the wheel and drove her out into the cut-de-sac for a few daytime photos!

DSC_8104.thumb.jpg.a2a8313138ca2e5642aedda8c66165a9.jpg

DSC_8109.thumb.jpg.0f28b2043e825a5952841dd3fcf3e944.jpg

Even the Bradford Pears are showing off!!

DSC_8112.thumb.jpg.98951e7dad1804f1fc137fc21cd08937.jpg

Have a great weekend!

Gary

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My son used Photoshop to "age" this picture taken a couple of weeks ago at the local pioneer village. The car's original owner was a doctor,the house belonged to a doctor and "the doctor" was in !

1925 Buick sepia niose.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased this 1941 Buick Special 44 Business Coupe just 9 days ago and I'm very excited about it. This is my 1st Buick, and it is replacing my 1948 Chevy Fleetline Aerosedan (I'm a Chevy guy). The car was imported to Australia in 1989 after being purchased in Waco, TX by a gentleman who now lives in Ballarat, Victoria (Australia). The car has been restored superbly (body, paint & interior only it appears), but looks to be a very good car. The doors & trunk close beautifully and the gaps are very good. It has been in storage for nearly 11 years after the previous owner left it to his then 15yo (now 26yo) grandson who has not driven it once. To say I'm over the moon is an understatement. It is currently at my mechanic's getting a complete brake overhaul and the waterpump rebuilt. It will also be lowered (I like my cars low). Can anybody tell me what the color is? The Body Tag reads 'PAINT No 570' which is Ludington Green, but various pages on the internet suggest that to be a much darker green. Perhaps my car is a non-1941 color. Anyway, I'm in love with it's color - original or not.

BUCK MOTOR DIVISION

GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION

FLINT. MICH

1941 MOD. 44

STYLE No 41-4227B

BODY No 237

TRIM No 900

PAINT No 570

TOP     ACC.

BODY BY FISHER

the attached photos are before I got it home to South Australia (500 miles from Melbourne where I purchased it from and still with Victorian license plates). The South Australian plates will read 'STR-808' (do you get it?).

I have much to learn about these cars and would appreciate very much any information. I believe this model to have a 'Chevrolet' body.

Buick Pickup.jpg

1941 Buick 12.jpg

1941 Buick 15.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

• Like 7

On 9/4/2018 at 11:25 PM, J.H.Boland said:

My son used Photoshop to "age" this picture taken a couple of weeks ago at the local pioneer village. The car's original owner was a doctor,the house belonged to a doctor and "the doctor" was in !

1925 Buick sepia niose.jpg

Fabulous photo

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Grant Z said:

. It will also be lowered (I like my cars low).

Buick Pickup.jpg

1941 Buick 12.jpg

1941 Buick 15.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

It's a sweet looking car, but IMHO you will ruin it's appeal by lowering it and making it look like a "lead sled". It's proportions are just right, the way the Buick folks built it.Please reconsider .

Jim

• Like 2

Jim, thanks for your comments. The car as pictured actually has 2" of wooden blocks on top of the rear springs (removed yesterday). I will not be lowering the car ridiculously but a conservative amount (approx 2.5") with the rear slightly lower than the front. I do like 'lead sleds' but this car will not be one as a true one of those has the roof chopped and extensive body mods. I do enjoy having suspension travel and I wish to drive interstate to car events on holidays (vacation). We have to drive 250km (160 miles) just get to the closest state border. I car will look understated in the way it sits. Thanks again Jim.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, Grant Z said:

I purchased this 1941 Buick Special 44 Business Coupe just 9 days ago and I'm very excited about it. This is my 1st Buick, and it is replacing my 1948 Chevy Fleetline Aerosedan (I'm a Chevy guy). The car was imported to Australia in 1989 after being purchased in Waco, TX by a gentleman who now lives in Ballarat, Victoria (Australia). The car has been restored superbly (body, paint & interior only it appears), but looks to be a very good car. The doors & trunk close beautifully and the gaps are very good. It has been in storage for nearly 11 years after the previous owner left it to his then 15yo (now 26yo) grandson who has not driven it once. To say I'm over the moon is an understatement. It is currently at my mechanic's getting a complete brake overhaul and the waterpump rebuilt. It will also be lowered (I like my cars low). Can anybody tell me what the color is? The Body Tag reads 'PAINT No 570' which is Ludington Green, but various pages on the internet suggest that to be a much darker green. Perhaps my car is a non-1941 color. Anyway, I'm in love with it's color - original or not.

BUCK MOTOR DIVISION

GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION

FLINT. MICH

1941 MOD. 44

STYLE No 41-4227B

BODY No 237

TRIM No 900

PAINT No 570

TOP     ACC.

BODY BY FISHER

the attached photos are before I got it home to South Australia (500 miles from Melbourne where I purchased it from and still with Victorian license plates). The South Australian plates will read 'STR-808' (do you get it?).

I have much to learn about these cars and would appreciate very much any information. I believe this model to have a 'Chevrolet' body.

Buick Pickup.jpg

1941 Buick 12.jpg

1941 Buick 15.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

Hi Grant,

Congratulations and welcome to the Pre-War Buick forum.

That's a great looking '41 in a nice colour. Hope you get the bugs ironed out and brakes and pump sorted.

Looking forward to catching up on the next cruise too!

Some of the other  guys on this forum  will be able to chime in on the body type.

Enjoy:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rodney (from down under)

Beautiful car!  It's unusual to see the standard steering wheel -- all the 41's I have ever seen have an ivory banjo wheel.  Also, it's (of course) unusual for us here in the States to see a RHD Buick.  But I'm confused about its origins.  If it came from Waco, TX, was it only converted to RHD when it was shipped to Australia in 1989?  If so, it must have been quite a job to do the conversion.

On 9/22/2018 at 1:26 AM, neil morse said:

Beautiful car!  It's unusual to see the standard steering wheel -- all the 41's I have ever seen have an ivory banjo wheel.  Also, it's (of course) unusual for us here in the States to see a RHD Buick.  But I'm confused about its origins.  If it came from Waco, TX, was it only converted to RHD when it was shipped to Australia in 1989?  If so, it must have been quite a job to do the conversion.

Many thanks Neil,

I've just spent the weekend with the gentleman (Dale) who purchased the car in Waco TX, imported & converted it to RHD back in 1989. I must call him and ask about the black wheel on the car. I'm thinking it may just be a base-model car wheel (it's a Special business coupe) and maybe the ivory banjo wheel was an upmarket option (like in the Chevrolets)? Back in 1989 LHD was either not allowed yet here in Australia or very few would have been happy with that. Dale is a retired marine engineer and believe me this guys is extremely knowledgeable about all things mechanical so the conversion was a breeze for him. Many of the cars which were converted to RHD in the early days were not done with good engineering but I'm extremely confident with this one after spending considerable time with him and buying a whole lot of mechanical parts off him yesterday. His current cars are spectacular (41 Packard coupe & 47 Ford convertible). Thanks for your interest. Regards Grant

On 9/21/2018 at 3:24 PM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi Grant,

Congratulations and welcome to the Pre-War Buick forum.

That's a great looking '41 in a nice colour. Hope you get the bugs ironed out and brakes and pump sorted.

Looking forward to catching up on the next cruise too!

Some of the other  guys on this forum  will be able to chime in on the body type.

Enjoy:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rodney (from down under)

Hey Rodney,

we're making headway with the car. I just want those things to be fixed right and the car reliable which I'm sure won't be too hard. I've just been to Ballarat & Bendingo on the weekend to meet the guy who imported the car in 1989 and converted it. I bought a wad of parts off him (reco I8 head, new electronic dissy, transmission gears & bearings, wheel bearings etc etc.). I'm very happy with getting these. I also made several great Buick connections at a fabulous event in Bendigo, several of which knew my car from years back.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

Why the double ignition coils? Is this for backup in case of coil failure? 

Lawrence, I'm not sure as that is how I've purchased the car and the previous owner (who used the car) died 11yrs ago.

2 hours ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

Looks to be missing the stainless trim between trunk and splash cover but has an extra bumper guard in the middle which does look nice. 

Hi again Lawrence, I'm glad you noticed the missing trim as I wouldn't have due to never owning a Buick before. I might try to chase that up. Do you know anyone in the USA who may be a good source of trim? Thanks again for your comment. Cheers Grant

12 hours ago, Grant Z said:

Hi again Lawrence, I'm glad you noticed the missing trim as I wouldn't have due to never owning a Buick before. I might try to chase that up. Do you know anyone in the USA who may be a good source of trim? Thanks again for your comment. Cheers Grant

Here's a pic of the trim piece that Lawrence was talking about.

rear_bumper.thumb.jpg.4e101b8f51f803c6481cbc4d5da20eb0.jpg

A possible source is Doug Seybold in Ohio.  He's pretty much the go-to guy when it comes to '40-'41 Buicks.  His phone number is 440-835-1193.

• Like 1

Hello Grant, Beautiful car .. I found the trim for my 41 Century Sedanette on Ebay and there are some sellers who part out bits for the 41 who might have one though not currently listed or in their store. Doug likely has one but he is $$$ . I do have an extra that might be correct as it is a different profile then my 2 door having come off the 4 door model. I will forage for it and send you a pic and measurements. I think they only made two profiles for the straighter bumper like mine and the more curved like yours. Will let you know soon.

Cheers Mate ! Lawrence

Yeah, it looks like the 4-door version (in my picture) is certainly different from the 2-door.  It makes sense because the shape of the trunk lid is completely different at the bottom.  And I agree that Seybold will cost you top dollar (although he is also someone who you can be pretty certain will understand the difference between the various bodies and provide you with the correct part).

14 hours ago, neil morse said:

Here's a pic of the trim piece that Lawrence was talking about.

rear_bumper.thumb.jpg.4e101b8f51f803c6481cbc4d5da20eb0.jpg

A possible source is Doug Seybold in Ohio.  He's pretty much the go-to guy when it comes to '40-'41 Buicks.  His phone number is 440-835-1193.

Hi Neil, that is a Buick body (rounded trunk corners) and not a Chev bodied car like mine (square trunk corners). I think I have that right. That may not mean the piece of trim is different but it has me wondering. As I've stated, I have much to learn.

2 minutes ago, Grant Z said:

Hi Neil, that is a Buick body (rounded trunk corners) and not a Chev bodied car like mine (square trunk corners). I think I have that right. That may not mean the piece of trim is different but it has me wondering. As I've stated, I have much to learn.

I now realise I've been told about Doug Seybold by the gentleman who imported my Buick into Australia. Doug Seybold is the guy who does the engine turned dash pieces. I've found his contact details online and he is listed as an expert on 40-41 Buicks.

4 hours ago, Grant Z said:

I now realise I've been told about Doug Seybold by the gentleman who imported my Buick into Australia. Doug Seybold is the guy who does the engine turned dash pieces. I've found his contact details online and he is listed as an expert on 40-41 Buicks.

Yes, that's the guy.  He is very friendly and accessible by phone, and is listed by the BCA (Buick Club of America) as the club's "technical adviser" for 1940 and 1941 cars.

Yes I found his details on the BCA site after being told about him by the gentleman (Dale Collins here in Australia) who imported & converted my car to RHD. Do you know where I would be likely to find some rear skirts for my car? Thanks again for your help.

Hi Grant:

Lawrence beat me to it.  I was going to say the same thing about Ebay.  Here's an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-Buick-Fender-Skirts-Pair/273480167761?hash=item3facb03151:g:fOoAAOSwgYlboTDv

They come up from time to time, but they are pricey and you have to beware of reproductions.  Also, the little piece of stainless trim that goes between the rocker molding and the skirt is impossible to find.  If you look at the '41's with skirts, you will see that it is missing on a lot of cars.

23 minutes ago, neil morse said:

Hi Grant:

Lawrence beat me to it.  I was going to say the same thing about Ebay.  Here's an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-Buick-Fender-Skirts-Pair/273480167761?hash=item3facb03151:g:fOoAAOSwgYlboTDv

They come up from time to time, but they are pricey and you have to beware of reproductions.  Also, the little piece of stainless trim that goes between the rocker molding and the skirt is impossible to find.  If you look at the '41's with skirts, you will see that it is missing on a lot of cars.

Thanks Neil, I had seen that while sniffing online. I assume that piece of trim (1 is missing from this set I notice) should always be there?