Car Shows- Pros and Cons

dan at larescorp

I posted this in the Buick forum also. I apologize for double posting. I just wanted to try to get as many opinions as possible.

As many of you know every year I host a car show. It's a lot of fun for me. Most of the folks who show up seem to have a good time, but there is not much for activities. We do peoples choice voting, there is no entry fee, and we grill hot dogs / burgers. Other then that I've been trying to think of other fun things that could be done. What I want to know is what are some of the favorite things about the car shows you've attended? Also, what are some things that irritated you? Please don't put a name to the show. I don't want this turning into a personal attack against any event or person. Just looking for your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately shows have changed. Back in the simple 60's we had cranking contests, stopping the right front tire on a small spot contests, passenger holding an egg in a spoon contest while driving around an obstacle course, driving through the obstacle course backwards, and a couple of others. We also had a blindfold driving contest around the obstacle course until one year ........ well, let's just say my dad put me on the running board of his 33 Pierce Arrow (I was 12) and told me he was going to put it in low gear and floor it. My job was to keep a constant chatter of left, left, left, right right and etc. All went well until I started to say uh, uh, uh ..... people scattered - my dad said "Speak to me", foot still firmly planted on throttle, my mother screamed. I finally shouted "Right, right, right" just in time... we won the contest by a large margin. It was never held again ...... (True story).

I always liked Chinese Auctions... With an assortment of stuff from big to small...The more, the more fun. Door prizes, of all sizes and varieties are nice, along with various raffles. Car games are fun, but the insurance liability can be horrendous. If you can get a few carnival type games like a hubcap toss, piston throw etc, that also adds to the day.

What I don't like:

1. Ditto about blaring music

2. Parking the cars too close together

3. Charging a fee to display my car

What I appreciate:

1. Free hot dog/drink for car exhibitors. Doesn't have to be much - it's the thought that counts

2. Reasonable snack prices. Love it when a Scout or church group sells food

3. Have a People's Choice award. Let the spectators vote for their favorite car(s). The outcome is usually a surprise

4. Give every participant a ticket and have frequent raffles for car stuff - car wax, car wash kits, etc. $10-15 range so you can

hand out a lot of prizes

Loud Music, If the music is not loud I cant hear it anymore. As long as its Rock or Heavy metal, I am fine. Ballads, Sinatra and his ilk.. BLAAA

I like car shows under the trees where it has a chance of being cool. There is one hear in town in the middle of June, middle of the day on a big asphalt parking lot.

You go home from that one hotter the heck and sunburned.

The people make the shows for me, if they are a friendly bunch that want to talk thats even better.

Charging a fee as long as its reasonable is no big deal, even better if the money is going to the decent charity.

Not much on games though valve cover reacing was fun in its day, especially with a straight 8 valve cover.

1. Most of the comments above.

2. No music. I don't want to hear any music, since I most likely will not like it at any volume.

3. Have it on grass.

4. Trees for shade.

Dislikes:

1. Shows on parking lots. Several years ago I registered, several weeks in advance, for a car show that was on a parking lot and it was so hot I parked my car then went shopping in the mall with my wife for several hours until it was time to leave. Before we left for the show it didn't seem that hot until we got on that huge Mall Parking lot. Even during normally seasonally cool weather you can have extremely hot days, but it always seems cooler on grass.

2. Car shows at shopping malls

3. Loud music.

4. Country music at any volume.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

dan@larescorp, look at this "Google Images" site for LOTS of pics of valve cover racing ! Fun stuff... Or, just get on Google, then click on Images, and type in valve cover racing.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=713&q=valve+cover+racing&oq=valve+cover+racing&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l5.1367.7331.0.7810.18.13.0.5.5.0.221.1996.0j12j1.13.0....0...1ac.1.53.img..0.18.2017.dIhVuodk2Yk

Guest AlCapone

Have it on grass, a free will offering but no admission charge to show your car. I also want it to be restricted to cars 25 years and older ! I don't mind 60 and 70's music if the volume is reasonable. Reasonable food and bottled water is a plus!

Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

What I like best at our yearly picnic is a tour that starts at a separate location and travels on secondary roads to small towns and historic attractions nearby. The tour lasts about 2 hours and it's fun to get all the thumbs up from people witnessing a dozen or more pre-war cars rolling by! The tour then arrives at lunchtime at the show grounds.

What I hate: Static displays and cars with the hoods left down and the doors shut ALL the time.

For crying out loud get yer butt off of the lawn chair, open the hood and start 'em up every now and then.

There's not person alive who doesn't want to see and hear them run.

If I want to see a static display I can get that in a book at home.

The ONLY music I'm interested in hearing is from the engines.

FOOD by a non-profit is always a great idea.......community involvement is a very good thing.

The most interesting thing I like to see at antique-car shows is the CARS.

Having a great selection means the show is more interesting to attend.

Many hobbyists want to see authentic cars at shows, with hod rods either

not in attendance or in a separate class. (After all, do you see mules at horse shows?)

A good location is always a plus. Since car owners often like to promote and extend

the hobby, consider locating the show where the general public and passers-by

will encounter it--such as a verdant park right in town; or in a closed-off block in

the middle of a historic downtown; the big lawn in front of Old Main on your

local college campus; or some other attractive location. In contrast, I've seen the

national meets of certain marque clubs held in, for instance, the back parking lot

of the Marriott Hotel off Interchange 42-A--where only the members themselves

will ever run across it!

I, too, don't appreciate being charged registration to show my car,

especially when it's some organization trying to make money off others' cars.

Do they charge the band to play? Do they charge the park to host their show?!

A small charge is okay if it only covers trophies and dash plaques, though.

Our A.A.C.A. region has found it extremely helpful to have our annual show

at the same time every year, and at the same location--say the first Saturday

in August--so it will generate a following and people will automatically know

when it's to be held and look forward to it.

Our club used to have a quick disassembly and total reassembly of a Crosley car

or a Model T. That was quite a sight to behold!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

An accompanying craft show for the ladies can make your event

a draw for the family. Perhaps a different organization can handle

that aspect, and share the grounds.

And if your club is the food vendor, keeping prices low is always

an enticement. One person complimented our club on just that fact,

saying how it made the event affordable for the family. And don't

we want to have families and children learn about our hobby?

ENGINE BLOW !!

make a chart with times on it and sell time guesses with winner taking all.

No oil or coolant. Junk yard barely runner and a brick.

The VW Classic in Irvine Ca. used to (might still have) have a engine blow and made some money on time takers. They also had ( may still do ) a wet "T" shirt contest which was very popular.

A show on the grass with plenty of shade and no trees that drip sap and plenty of space between cars.

Spectator paid admission, and as said before in the thread you don't charge a band to play at your event, why charge the car owner.

Music: Why not, because we like antique cars and the era they represent also appreciate the music from the era's of cars on the show field? As a adjunct to that, play top 40 billboard of that era and not select songs of the era ( like we hear on 60's stations today) so we hear all top hits of the era....something for everyone's taste. Just remember in 1970 the Carpenters "close to you" and BJ Thomas " Raindrops keep falling on my head" out sold the Beatles "Let it be", or Lennon's " we all shine on" or Creedence C R's "out my back door" or "up around the bend or run through the jungle", and not forget way down in the charts (#59 Chicago's "make me smile" or # 61 " 25 or 6 to 4" !

Play music volume to a enjoyable level so that it does not become overbearing where you cannot engage in conversation.:)

What I don't like:

3. Charging a fee to display my car

What I appreciate:

1. Free hot dog/drink for car exhibitors. Doesn't have to be much - it's the thought that counts

3. Have a People's Choice award. Let the spectators vote for their favorite car(s). The outcome is usually a surprise

4. Give every participant a ticket and have frequent raffles for car stuff - car wax, car wash kits, etc. $10-15 range so you can

hand out a lot of prizes

So you don't want to pay a fee, but you want free food, free raffle prizes, and free trophies. Where does that money come from?

Sorry but our club runs an All-GM show annually. We usually get more of the other marques than Chevies, and 442s always outnumber Camaros. We charge $15 per entry (that hasn't changed in quite a few years). The price covers trophies (about 35 or so for different classes and best-of awards), dash plaques, use of the site, payment for the DJ, printing and mailing flyers (we have participants who are not so computer savvy), and other expenses. We turned a small profit this year after losing money in the two prior years. Attempts to secure sponsorship have had only minor successes. Since we are a chapter of the Oldsmobile Club of America, we USED to get a lot of help from the local dealership, which defrayed much of our expenses, but obviously that option went away in 2004.

Our club used to have a quick disassembly and total reassembly of a Crosley car

or a Model T. That was quite a sight to behold!

John S. If you know the Crosley Take apart car, then you must know Don Miller. We did the display at Awkscht Fescht the other year. It was a lot of fun!!

Edited by DAVE A
misspelling (see edit history)

A show on the grass with plenty of shade and no trees that drip sap and plenty of space between cars.

Spectator paid admission, and as said before in the thread you don't charge a band to play at your event, why charge the car owner.

Music: Why not, because we like antique cars and the era they represent also appreciate the music from the era's of cars on the show field? As a adjunct to that, play top 40 billboard of that era and not select songs of the era ( like we hear on 60's stations today) so we hear all top hits of the era....something for everyone's taste. Just remember in 1970 the Carpenters "close to you" and BJ Thomas " Raindrops keep falling on my head" out sold the Beatles "Let it be", or Lennon's " we all shine on" or Creedence C R's "out my back door" or "up around the bend or run through the jungle", and not forget way down in the charts (#59 Chicago's "make me smile" or # 61 " 25 or 6 to 4" !

Play music volume to a enjoyable level so that it does not become overbearing where you cannot engage in conversation.:)

"A show on the grass with plenty of shade and no trees that drip sap"

and birds that don't poop .....

and let's not have any rain either...

------------------

I vote for pavement for a car show ...

If you want shade bring an easy up tent and umbrella

"A show on the grass with plenty of shade and no trees that drip sap"

and birds that don't poop .....

and let's not have any rain either...

------------------

I vote for pavement for a car show ...

If you want shade bring an easy up tent and umbrella

I forgot to mention birds. At a OCA zone meet at the Inn at Morro Bay a few years back before the Inn trimmed their trees the entire show field was bombed by shore and sea birds. The sea birds especially made a impression because if you didn't get the HUGE droppings right away the acidity was so high that the droppings would etch the paint.

Most shows I've been to do not allow easy up tents or umbrellas. FYI, some beaches have banned umbrellas because when the wind kicks up they take off. I have witnessed one account of someone who got impaled by one that got loose.

As for the rain. Of the five collector/antique cars I have, none have been in the rain in at least thirty years.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Some comments from a spectator: I am a member of the AACA and a serious student of automotive history. Because of back and knee problems I must use a scooter to view the cars. What I hate is no nearby parking where I can unload my scooter and not have to drive it up the street to access the show. I have had to stop attending some of my favorite shows because of the parking situation. I like seeing cars like they were manufactured; whether they are original or restored doesn't really matter. I'd rather see a faded original car than an immaculate street rod although I can appreciate the work done on many rods. I like meeting nice people and talking to them about their cars. I like cars far enough apart that I can get a reasonable photo without having another car 20 inches away encroaching on the photo. I like seeing engines but I really appreciate the owners that volunteer to put the hood down for me to take a photo. The cars were designed with their hoods closed so that's the way they look best. I like seeing Corvettes but if the hood is up it is a waste of time to take a photo from the front; the hood dominates the photo. For those who stage the shows, thank you. I used to do car shows at local schools so I understand the effort that has to be put forth to have a nice show. Thanks also to the people who show the cars. Without you there would be no shows.

I forgot to mention birds. At a OCA zone meet at the Inn at Morro Bay a few years back before the Inn trimmed their trees the entire show field was bombed by shore and sea birds. The sea birds especially made a impression because if you didn't get the HUGE droppings right away the acidity was so high that the droppings would etch the paint.

Most shows I've been to do not allow easy up tents or umbrellas. FYI, some beaches have banned umbrellas because when the wind kicks up they take off. I have witnessed one account of someone who got impaled by one that got loose.

As for the rain. Of the five collector/antique cars I have, none have been in the rain in at least thirty years.

I too, try to stay home when it rains.

Some comments from a spectator: I am a member of the AACA and a serious student of automotive history. Because of back and knee problems I must use a scooter to view the cars. What I hate is no nearby parking where I can unload my scooter and not have to drive it up the street to access the show. I have had to stop attending some of my favorite shows because of the parking situation. I like seeing cars like they were manufactured; whether they are original or restored doesn't really matter. I'd rather see a faded original car than an immaculate street rod although I can appreciate the work done on many rods. I like meeting nice people and talking to them about their cars. I like cars far enough apart that I can get a reasonable photo without having another car 20 inches away encroaching on the photo. I like seeing engines but I really appreciate the owners that volunteer to put the hood down for me to take a photo. The cars were designed with their hoods closed so that's the way they look best. I like seeing Corvettes but if the hood is up it is a waste of time to take a photo from the front; the hood dominates the photo. For those who stage the shows, thank you. I used to do car shows at local schools so I understand the effort that has to be put forth to have a nice show. Thanks also to the people who show the cars. Without you there would be no shows.

John, have you tried driving up to the car registration area and explain your problem? I can tell you for sure if you came to my clubs car show we would not only find a space for your car, but give you a hand if you needed some help.

I attended two distinctly different shows over the past two weekends and came away with a few thoughts on what worked and what didn't. Last week was a club event with judging held at a high-end hotel and was obviously aimed at high-end cars. My Cadillac was there, but it was the mongrel of the bunch. The choice of venue made this event work, as it was at a high-end hotel/golf resort and when it started raining, they let us park our cars in the ballroom. That MADE the show. Nice!

Things that didn't work at that show: people complaining that their cars "only" scored 99 points, people who vanished back to their hotel rooms or into the hotel bar after parking their cars, hugely expensive (high-end hotel/golf resort).

You could also make the argument that since it was limited to Full Classics, a lot of people and cars were excluded, but I think that's OK given the quality that showed up.

Just today I attended another show that was quite different. It was free of charge save for a suggested $5 donation when you drove in, with most of the proceeds going to the Kidney Foundation. Open to all interesting cars of all eras, and everything from Model Ts to hot rods to this year's Lamborghinis showed up, and all were welcomed. Pre-registration was encouraged and you got better parking, but you could register at the gate and park in a secondary lot. They ultimately had about 300 cars and it was hosted by a local party center that abuts a golf course and the cars were parked on the grass on the driving range. I registered the Cadillac but at the last minute decided to take our heavily modified 1947 Dodge Power Wagon that was warmly welcomed and always had a crowd around it. I was parked in the Mopar section next to a 1931 Chrysler sedan and a 1967 Plymouth GTX. Nobody argued about changing my class at the gate when I showed up in a different vehicle.

Reasons why this show worked: no judging so no complaints from trophy collectors, casual attitude, low cost, and an openness that made everyone feel welcome. Things that didn't work: none that I could see. It was a really nice show with good, affordable food (I spent $12 to feed myself and my 6-year-old son lunch) and no pressure. Everyone appreciated everyone else's cars and if you didn't dig a particular car, well, don't look at it. But nobody with an interesting car was turned away and the quality was pretty darned good. I suspect that the promoter (the party center) lost money on it, but maybe not. They sold a LOT of food and had quite a few sponsors and non-auto-related booths (windows, siding, insurance, realtors, etc.) that probably paid to be there, and I'm OK with that.

So I would suggest that you aim for a few things to make a successful show:

1. Get a variety of cars. If it's cool, let it in. As soon as you start turning people away, someone's getting a bad taste in their mouth. New, old, hot-rod, original, foreign, domestic, fast, slow, whatever. If it's loved, let it show.

2. Make it affordable. Not free, but last weekend I spent about $750 to attend a car show (it was 3 days and 2 nights, but still...). Today I spent $17. Somewhere closer to the $17 figure is where a lot of folks want to be for a 1-day car show event.

3. No judging. Don't bother. It's a logistics nightmare and someone always goes home angry. Trophies cost a lot of money and you have to have an awards ceremony that nobody sticks around for anyway. Don't even give out people's choice awards or anything like that. Show up, enjoy the cars and your friends, and who cares who has the nicest car. It removes ALL the pressure.

4. Good food. The party center provided the food and there was plenty of variety (subs, hamburgers, hot dogs, cold cuts). There was also a common dining area with tables and chairs and reasonable prices all around. Nobody felt like they were being gouged.

5. Nice setting. Not a hot blacktop parking lot, but on the grass somewhere is always nice and gives the event an upscale feel. It's easier on the feet and not as hot.

6. Keep it casual. Create loose classes. I was supposed to be in the Trucks section, but they saw that there was an opening in the Mopar section where it would be easier to get my giant Dodge into position, so they let me park there without any arguments. It didn't matter to me and nobody else seemed to mind the big, green Dodge in their midst.

I think we'll see more and more shows like the latter one where it's open to all kinds of cars. I know clubs like to adhere to their charter, but if you want a successful show, you need to let everyone in. I don't think anyone minds paying a few bucks to get into a show, but don't make it a huge number. I'd probably pay $20 and $5 seems very cheap for a show of this quality, so somewhere in there will probably not get many objections. And the big thing is that it was low-pressure, and that's really what matters most. My son and I had a great time just because we didn't have a schedule to keep or anyplace to be. Look at cars, eat, look at cars, sit by the truck, go home. Easy day.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of the great responses!

Based on what I'm seeing here it looks like people have mixed feelings about the issue. I'm going to try to give you as many details as I can about my show. Give notes. Good or bad, I promise not to cry :rolleyes:.

My show is usually on a Saturday. I try to make sure it doesn't contradict with other local shows as I'm not looking to step on anyone's toes.

The show starts at 10am and usually goes until 2pm. It's peoples choice voting so I will give out a few trophies based on who gets the most votes. We tally the votes about 1:30 so I can hand out the trophies by 2pm.

Here are this years trophies.

post-84610-143142720299_thumb.jpg

I don't charge any entry fee.

The location I have my show at has a nice parking lot with grass all the way around it. The lot goes all the way around the building like that. This way you can park your car and sit right behind it in the grass if you want. I encourage people to bring a pop up canopy and lawn chairs if they choose to do so. It is also located in an industrial area in the middle of town. That makes it easy to find, but it's not directly in traffic.

post-84610-143142720302_thumb.jpg

We grill burgers and hot dogs. We also offer chips, water, pop, ect. All at a very reasonable price ( I think a meal with a burger, pop, chips and a pickle went for $5.50). We sell T-shirts, and key chains. My wife likes to do face painting for the kids. There is plenty of seating with tables near the grill area for people to enjoy a meal without having to carry it around.

I have security on hand. So far we haven't had an issue, but I always try to prepare for the worst. They don't bother anyone unless they're asked to.

People show up, register their car, park, and enjoy. The only issue being that by about 2pm you can tell people are sick of sitting around. That's what this thread is about. I wanted to know what I should do for entertainment. Lot's of great ideas here (Thanks everyone for that). Based on my show what do you think would fit best? As much as I like the idea of a wet t-shirt contest I have to keep it a family event. I also like the valve cover race idea. I think that would be relatively easy to set up. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again!

I went to a show this weekend that was put on by the local Mopar club. There was some idiot that was cruising the lot and out onto the street burning rubber that should have been arrested.

Also being a Mopar club show there were brand new off the lot cars there. The club members were split between the early muscle cars and the new stuff that I call check book cars.

Ir was their show and their club and there were awards for old to new. This was a good combination for what it was. $15 entry bought hot dogs and pop and water etc. and the club guys were all polite and helpful and were well organized.

On the other hand my cars are all old and I prefer shows that have a limit of age, whether it be 25 years and older or 50 years and older, this is my preference.

I don't really like to have my 28 parked next to a 14 or 15. It makes the guy with the new car jealous when the spectators that stop by aren't looking at their showroom special.

Gosh, I don't know that I would do free food, otherwise one of my relatives from her side will spend the entire time eating all the hotdogs. I've been to some events, both auto and non-auto, that had a reasonable entry fee that included a "voucher" for a free drink, and sandwich of choice, etc. Then maybe a really reasonable concession price for spectators. Also a "peoples" award I had seen before, which I thought was nice, was a "car you've never seen in person" award.

I don't think you need to give anything away for free, just make everything reasonable. A bottle of water or two with registration at the gate is nice, but I don't think you're forced to choose between entry fee and free food. However, I would argue that the food is the best way to cover your costs on the whole show if you're careful with your margins, so free admission and reasonably-priced food would be my vote if I had to have one.

Also, if you're doing voting, especially people's choice voting, make everyone vote for TWO cars. That way when everyone votes for their own car, there are other votes that can be counted towards a genuinely worthy entry. Be sure to note that ballots without two votes will be discarded.

I don't think you need to give anything away for free, just make everything reasonable. A bottle of water or two with registration at the gate is nice, but I don't think you're forced to choose between entry fee and free food. However, I would argue that the food is the best way to cover your costs on the whole show if you're careful with your margins, so free admission and reasonably-priced food would be my vote if I had to have one.

Also, if you're doing voting, especially people's choice voting, make everyone vote for TWO cars. That way when everyone votes for their own car, there are other votes that can be counted towards a genuinely worthy entry. Be sure to note that ballots without two votes will be discarded.

Good call. 2 vote minimum. The last couple of years I've had different classes. This next year I think I will just make it a best of show. It seams to have confused some people to vote in different classes on the ballot.

Having to pay to show my car while spectators get in for free does not sit well with me either. There is no show without the cars. So why should I pay to bring it so that you can have a show and make money? I can just park it in spectator parking and get in for free, or even just bring my daily driver and get in for free so why pay $25 to bring my car?

The only time I pay for my car to enter a show is when the show appreciates it by giving you something in return. Free admission to a locale that normally charges, free T-shirt, ice cream or just some token to show that they are not using your car to make money for themselves while charging you to do it.

I would rather get in for free and pay for food, than paying to get in and get free food. That way I can pay if I am hungry and want it. They can also run out of food, and if it was supposed to be free, people that didn't get any will feel screwed.

I do like the idea of a "never seen in person before" award. Although I supposed that could cause problems if something really rare shows up, and something common wins simply because there are a lot of clueless people there.

I also hate when there is no shade or no place to escape sun, heat, or rain. Even if it a just a tent, or going into a store at the perimeter. Also not having any seating is annoying.

I like to think about my favorite (and admittedly biased) car shows. All are in Michigan. The first is in St. Ignace. They have the Antiques on the Bay show which is a little show in a little town. We can walk the streets and there is plenty to do for the kids and my wife. We camp while we are out there and rarely show a car. It is just a nice destination. The second grouping is any show that is held at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners. Everything is on the grass and there is plenty of shade. The down side is there is not as much for the family to do so I usually attend events there solo. Finally, and my favorite, are shows (there are only two) at Greenfield Village. The location is beautiful and they are increasingly attending to kid's needs. These events are always a home run for everyone. Greenfield Village allows no modified cars at either of their shows. I love it! I do attend lots of concours events and the like, but my wife and family find them to be only for car guys. They just don't cater to families which often prevent me from going. The more family inclusive a show, the better I like them...even if the music is loud and bad!