Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Added some miles to Annie this weekend. Not sure how many since I haven't fixed the speedometer cable yet. No car shows for me on Fathers Day, but this 64 Ford Galaxie parked next to me at the restaurant.  And it sure was nice to drive the Super again. Getting the State Inspection as I write

IMG_20240617_075854.jpg

20240616_191155.jpg

20240616_133759.jpg

• Like 10

8 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Attended a show at a charming little town. Columbia PA.  500 plus cars.  Received a plague.  Calculated my mpg finally. 12 mpg highway on bias ply tires. Running 60-65 a majority of the driver.

PXL_20240615_170821290.jpg

Congratulations Chris! I hope it wasn’t the COVID-19, the worst plague in history (fingers are traitors)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This is my wife's 2018 Regal GS, so not as old as most here for sure, though it's now 6 years old. She loves the car and can be a bit of a Lady Leadfoot too.

The real reason for this post was we just pulled into a parking lot and a couple of young guys got out of another car near us and one started talking to me about the big Brembo brake calipers, saying how awesome Brembo's are. I said thanks, but it's the lady's car and pointed to my wife. They were amazed a woman would be driving a car with performance brakes like that!

They do work very well, so much so that she doesn't like the brakes on anything else now.

Keith

RegalFull.jpg.d5d132e2dec0214558dead8d17e438f2.jpgRegalBrake.jpg.81741e4cad3f8a5cbb26ed78e905f035.jpgRegalTail.jpg.699b4ae75bc8184c1dd837ec1c684a8b.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Buicknutty said:

This is my wife's 2018 Regal GS, so not as old as most here for sure, though it's now 6 years old. She loves the car and can be a bit of a Lady Leadfoot too.

The real reason for this post was we just pulled into a parking lot and a couple of young guys got out of another car near us and one started talking to me about the big Brembo brake calipers, saying how awesome Brembo's are. I said thanks, but it's the lady's car and pointed to me wife. They were amazed a woman would be driving a car with performance brakes like that!

They do work very well, so much so that doesn't like the brakes on anything else now.

Keith

RegalFull.jpg.d5d132e2dec0214558dead8d17e438f2.jpgRegalBrake.jpg.81741e4cad3f8a5cbb26ed78e905f035.jpgRegalTail.jpg.699b4ae75bc8184c1dd837ec1c684a8b.jpg

I've been trying to score a set of Brembos for my GS sportwagon for months. They don't come up for sale very often.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buicknutty said:

The real reason for this post was we just pulled into a parking lot and a couple of young guys got out of another car near us and one started talking to me about the big Brembo brake calipers, saying how awesome Brembo's are. I said thanks, but it's the lady's car and pointed to me wife. They were amazed a woman would be driving a car with performance brakes like that!

They do work very well, so much so that doesn't like the brakes on anything else now.

Keith

Nice car. I get comments on the Brembos too.

IMG_3340.jpeg

• Like 5

I took the Electra to my daughter's today, in part to decide which car I'm going to drive to the National next month. For some time I've thought I'd take the '41 Roadmaster, but on a tour a few weeks back I was having quite a few drivability issues when warm with it. All seems to be good, and I'm wondering if the increased ethanol content could be the cause.

So today was about 90 F and I wanted to see if the Big Girl would run hot at highway speeds with the A/C on. Currently it has a 185' stat in it and at a steady 70-75 MPH for the half hour it stayed about 190-195, on the way home the traffic was lighter so I upped the speed to 75-80, though the temp was a very muggy mid 70's and it stayed under 190 the whole way home.

There's two flies in the ointment with it, one is the heat builds very quickly when stopped, so perhaps there's an airflow issue. The other problem is the A/C compressor is a bit noisy, it seems to be at the front of it. This is a rebuilt one I had installed 3 or 4 years ago. My wife in particular does not want to travel without the air working. Though it's pumping just fine as it kept us cool as cucumbers all day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

New shoes for the 'Cat.

After 1500 miles on a set of black walls with standard steel wheels and hubcaps, I spent the morning replacing them with a set of new radial thin line whitewalls and a five (including the spare) styled chrome steel wheels that I collected one by one over the last few years. Greatly improved appearance, IMHO.

The car is a one family car, originally delivered to Montana, now with 91k on the clock. Serious engine problems when I purchased it, thanks to the original owner's grandson. Searched for a good 430 for naught. Ended up with a 455 block and all new guts and engine accessories. Had the TH400 rebuilt, and the usual fuel, brake and cooling systems, too. No problem keeping pace with the local tuners. A new top is probably next on the list and it could use a paint job. 

Actually didn't drive very far today: house to shop and back, but it's all ready for tomorrow.

wildcatnewshoes1.jpg.6343d969be19082859e78405db371391.jpgwildcatengine.jpg.f5fe9a7e00a19c9578e5e10f767c2e13.jpg

• Like 10

I ran the '86 Convertible up to "My Mechanic" for its annual New York State inspection this morning. Of course, no appointment.

Life has changed around me over the past couple of years. Not for the best. I had traveled 120 miles during the 12 months. We did the '60 Electra a couple of weeks ago. Only 400 on that one.

My wife says I need a girlfriend to go places with. But I think she wants a say in picking her.

IMG_0652-Copy.JPG.0bfbc648db377d5fa477e29dc9ff0d05.JPG

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Haha 4

I drove the '13 Buick from our house near Detroit to the Flint Summer Auto Fair at the Sloan Museum. Great weather on Saturday, but warm and Sunday was good just a little cooler. With that 45 mile trip each way Joyce and I have driven the '13 just shy of 1,000 miles this year and we are just getting started.

We also took the Corvette.  The cars were parked in front of the Flint Institute of Arts. 

image000000 (16).jpg

image000000 (15).jpg

8e5600f6-1285-4e87-afc4-6521500fbc9a.jpg

• Like 8

Went to the first car show put on by my town's recreation department. There was the usual collection of old guys in Corvettes and hot rods, young guys in blinged-out rides, and vintage pickups of every variety that bear little resemblance to what they were when they left their respective factories. Most interesting to me were a beautifully restored 1929 Packard, a 1962 Plymouth wagon, and a 1963 Chevrolet Impala that was completely original right down to the 61 year-old coating of dust and grease. There were food trucks, games for kids, raffles, and a host of other activities that kept things humming for three hours. Despite my seemingly snarky comments I had a great time and I was happy to see how many people came out to show their cars. 

VernonCrShow06_23_24.JPG.134267fcd671cb9afaec5b61688e4227.JPG

• Like 7

On 6/20/2024 at 7:59 PM, parkertom said:

Nice car. I get comments on the Brembos too.

IMG_3340.jpeg

nice love the Regal GS cars i wish they had done that with the TourX model also

on a different note 

i see the Great Race is going to be stopping for lunch at Ken Welch farms in Purcellville down the road from you tuesday

Ken Creary the current Lower Hudson Valley Chapter Director runs a Ranchero with his wife in it!! some serious rallying with pre 74 cars

Marty

Edited by MRJBUICK (see edit history)
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, MRJBUICK said:

nice love the Regal GS cars i wish they had done that with the TourX model also

on a different note 

i see the Great Race is going to be stopping for lunch at Ken Welch farms in Purcellville down the road from you tuesday

Ken Creary the current Lower Hudson Valley Chapter Director runs a Ranchero with his wife in it!! some serious rallying with pre 74 cars

Marty

I wish they had done the same in the Tourx cars. A lot of conversions going on, check posts from Matt Harwood. I was on the verge of doing the same when I found this one that checked all the boxes. Just had to travel to NJ to pick it up.

I am going to head to the Great Race lunch stop tomorrow and check it out. I will look for the Ranchero. A couple Buicks running too, a 31 and a 55 Roadmaster.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2024 at 11:07 PM, Buicknutty said:

The other problem is the A/C compressor is a bit noisy, it seems to be at the front of it.

It might be the belt making the noise.  Spray some water on the belt and see whether the noise changes.

4 hours ago, parkertom said:

I wish they had done the same in the Tourx cars. A lot of conversions going on, check posts from Matt Harwood. I was on the verge of doing the same when I found this one that checked all the boxes. Just had to travel to NJ to pick it up.

I am going to head to the Great Race lunch stop tomorrow and check it out. I will look for the Ranchero. A couple Buicks running too, a 31 and a 55 Roadmaster.

The car he rallies with is a Falcon Ranchero and the one he Buicks with is a 65 GS that's really nice

IMG_0228.jpeg

DSC_0168.jpeg

• Like 3

What an event today’s lunch stop in VA was. Many spectators brought their own antiques.

I only saw one of the Buicks come in, the ‘55 Roadmaster.

Also, saw the Ranchero noted above. Driven by a member of the Lower Hudson Chapter. Wish it were easier to post more photos here. A lot of interesting cars!

IMG_3971.jpeg

IMG_3973.jpeg

IMG_3978.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, parkertom said:

What an event today’s lunch stop in VA was. Many spectators brought their own antiques.

I only saw one of the Buicks come in, the ‘55 Roadmaster.

Also, saw the Ranchero noted above. Driven by a member of the Lower Hudson Chapter. Wish it were easier to post more photos here. A lot of interesting cars!

IMG_3971.jpeg

IMG_3973.jpeg

IMG_3978.jpeg

That is one nice looking 55

• Like 3

I've had my struggles with the Reatta lately and I haven't done much with it as I've been very busy working on the Wildcat (as per another thread).

When I went to start it last week the battery was dead, despite having a battery maintainer on it. So I got another the end of week and today I finally installed it and took it for a drive.

This is our National Holiday, Canada Day and the weather was perfect for a drive in a convertible.

I've been having some issues with it, so I made it only a 15 mile drive. However the car ran perfect, then stalled soon after I got home, and restarted immediately.

At least the oil got changed and I know it still needs some work. it seems as though the crank position sensor might be part of the problem.

BuickReattaTract.jpg.6b8936bad3400f5c47f302a65e9fdfde.jpgBuickReattaTract2.jpg.a5da67cbfb72b7f889284e6944950767.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

I've had my struggles with the Reatta lately and I haven't done much with it as I've been very busy working on the Wildcat (as per another thread).

When I went to start it last week the battery was dead, despite having a battery maintainer on it. So I got another the end of week and today I finally installed it and took it for a drive.

This is our National Holiday, Canada Day and the weather was perfect for a drive in a convertible.

I've been having some issues with it, so I made it only a 15 mile drive. However the car ran perfect, then stalled soon after I got home, and restarted immediately.

At least the oil got changed and I know it still needs some work. it seems as though the crank position sensor might be part of the problem.

BuickReattaTract.jpg.6b8936bad3400f5c47f302a65e9fdfde.jpgBuickReattaTract2.jpg.a5da67cbfb72b7f889284e6944950767.jpg

I respectfully suggest that any 3800 of this era needs to have the two piece bracket the coil packs and spark control module sits on  disassembled, cleaned and reinstalled. Does not hurt to coat the contact surfaces with a gel such as Oxygard, or even silicone grease, to prevent corrosion between the aluminum pieces. Also clean the bottom of the spark control unit.  If it were me, I would do this before tackling anything else. 

• Like 3

On 7/2/2024 at 9:14 AM, JohnD1956 said:

I respectfully suggest that any 3800 of this era needs to have the two piece bracket the coil packs and spark control module sits on  disassembled, cleaned and reinstalled. Does not hurt to coat the contact surfaces with a gel such as Oxygard, or even silicone grease, to prevent corrosion between the aluminum pieces. Also clean the bottom of the spark control unit.  If it were me, I would do this before tackling anything else. 

Thanks John, I know those are problematic too. I guess that's the simpler repair so maybe the next thing to try. I've gone through the intake and cleaned that without much change in it.

• Thanks 1

The other thing to do on a 3800 is replace the plastic heater hose nipple at the front of the intake manifold with a metal one.  IIRC, the plastic ones started showing-up circa 1991~92.  My '90 Bonneville had a metal one, but I had to change-out the plastic one on my '92 LeSabre.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, EmTee said:

The other thing to do on a 3800 is replace the plastic heater hose nipple at the front of the intake manifold with a metal one.  IIRC, the plastic ones started showing-up circa 1991~92.  My '90 Bonneville had a metal one, but I had to change-out the plastic one on my '92 LeSabre.

Interesting, this something I've never heard of on these. What is the issue with them, I suppose they distort with old age? (Like some of us do...lol)

Ran to town for a few needed items for the BBQ today Walmart is the closest to my home. About 20 mile round trip

When l pull out to the main road its a steep hill thinking about adding this sticker for those that think l accelerate a bit slow.

Steve 

IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_1432.jpeg

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

What is the issue with them...

The plastic ones can spontaneously crack and or break open causing anything from a slow to catastrophic loss of coolant.  My father had one fail on a '92 Bonneville and it lost a lot of coolant pretty rapidly.  I think Dorman sells a metal (aluminum?) replacement.  There's a similar issue with the plastic heater hose quick-disconnect fittings used on 2000 and up Silverado and Sierra.

• Thanks 1

Last Saturday, I displayed my '59 Buick Electra on the plaza in front of LeMay - America's Car Museum in Tacoma.  My group -- Pacific Northwest Cars of the Jet Age -- hosted its first car show, focusing on stock American cars of the mid-1950's through mid-1960's.

On Saturday and Sunday, we led a group of eight cars on a 400-mile driving tour around the Olympic Peninsula / Olympic National Park.  The unrestored '59 never missed a beat!

acm-1.jpg

acm-2.1.jpg

acm-2.2.jpg

acm-2.3.jpg

acm-2.jpg

acm-3.jpg

acm-4.jpg

acm-5.jpg

• Like 6