David Corbin

Bill Stoneberg

David Corbin passed away today due to Cancer. I dont know how old he was. He went quickly. Pete saw him last week and said he looked fine.

David was an industrial engineer for International Harverster and had a lifelong passion for Buick's. He had one of the 1938 Self Shifter's and would tell you in great detail about it.

He collected body & frame numbers and could tell you when and where your car was built almost to the day.

He was co chairman of both the meets in Plano and had a passion for getting it right.

He was South Central Coordinator till this past year.

He will be missed at the regional meets in Texas.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)

Sad News, indeed. I was about to ask Pete if he had heard how Dave was doing. Unfortunately, we now know the situation. David was a true Buick person and devoted to improving everyone's knowledge of the numbers, as well as details about almost every age pre-War Buick. The BCA was furtunate to have someone with his knowledge, and he will be deeply missed. My condolences.

John

A sad loss for his family and a very helpful gentlemen to many of us here. He will be missed

His replies in this thread the show his deep & detailed engineering knowledge at its best

http://forums.aaca.org/f162/1950-248-a-255094.html  (old link)

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/122976-1950-248/

Posts 28 & 29 worth reading about his work and his Buick interest

RIP

Edited by 1939_Buick
Fixed link to current format (see edit history)

Dave reached out to so many of us and frankly he did it quite a bit on this forum and we all shared in his vast knowledge. I am not sure he can be easily replaced for his numbers knowledge.

How sad! I only knew David through his posts here, but could sense he had a deep affection for the Marquee and for many people on this Forum. Yes, he will be greatly missed... Our condolences to his family and friends is all we can offer. Please know, it is sincere.

David was a personal friend of mine and I will miss him at the local monthly meetings. He was a true Buick historian and willing to share his knowledge with anyone who would listen. He has helped many people on this forum and never charged a penny for any of it. Rest in Peace, David.

My condolences to the Corbin family. I was fortunate to meet David on a return from San Antonio several years ago. Bought some old Bugles from him. Great guy. I will always be appreciative of the help he gave when I was doing my '50. I will think of him each time I read a Bugle or drive my '50.

Rest in peace, old friend.

Ben

My condolences to his family and friends, of which he had many. He was a good friend of mine also. We used to share a room at Hershey. His vast knowledge of "Buick Numbers" is and was overwhelming to say the least. He will be sadly missed, and, in my opinion, his knowledge of "The Buick Numbers" will never again be attained by anyone. He spent an enormous amount of time doing something that he loved, and just loved to help anyone who needed it. One thing in his favor though, he went quickly, didn't have to suffer a long time. That's one thing that I can't handle, saw my mother and father suffer for a very long time with cancer, and I always pray for a speedy death when my cancer gets out of control. Again, Dave, my good friend, Rest in Peace, Paul

Very sad news. I echo everyone's comments. His knowledge was invaluable and he generously shared it. We met at a BCA meet years ago through our 39s. He had a Roadmaster. I had a Special. He needed a big series jack which I had. I needed a small series jack which he had. We swapped. The world ran a little smoother and a friendship was established. Until we meet again, Dave.

Re: David Corbin<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Dave was a very generous man with the detailed information he had accumulated over many years. I hope that someday his book of Buick data will be published in his memory. We will all miss him on this forum and future BCA events.

My sincere condolences go out to his family as well as all his Buick Buddies.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[quote On a conciliatory note, and this doesn't come close to replacing the person, but it's not bad going out as a legend.

TG

I strongly concur! I might add that I rather doubt that David ever intended to be considered in that manner, he certainly ended up that way . . . in more ways than one.

His knowledge was endless, with stories of Buicks, the BCA activities, and the time he spent at IH, plus some consulting work he'd done "in retirement". He could dig up information that would seem to be near-impossible, but he did it. His research on the Buick Self-Shifter transmission was amazing, to say the least, following all of the design changes and coming up with the related Buick parts numbers. The fact he even found that car at a local swap meet is amazing in itself! Pretty much stumbling upon the car, talking about the car with the seller, AND the mention of it having a strange kind of transmission in it. When he came into the chapter meeting a little bit afterward, it was obvious that he'd found something very interesting, much less purchased it on the spot. AND . . . then proceeded to trace its history back to the original place it was unloaded from the freight car it was shipped in from Buick. It's a wonder that car survived all of those years, but it could not have ended up with a better owner than David. And then, later on, the realization of why Olds and Cadillac sold many more self-shifters than Buick did . . . which is 'nuther story.

David's work on "The Numbers of Buicks" is nothing short of amazing . . . and legendary. The resources he uncovered in this endeavor went back to the earliest days of Buick building vehicles. With these resources and a working knowledge of how the automotive industry did things, much of it fell right into place once it was all assembled . . . by observation. For this work, he received a commendation plaque at the Buick Centennial Meet. As chapter members, we were proud for him!

Yet even with all of this great work, there were a few gaps which needed to be filled in, especially in the area of McLaughlin-Buicks. So an "expedition" in search of that information took place several years later. Again, more amazing information was unearthed.

Although David and wife Clara might not have attended every one of our chapter meetings, we always enjoyed their attendance. Plus David telling us of his latest discovery, adventure, or an update on his projects. Those times will be missed, but we can be glad we did experience and learn from David's vast knowledge and mentoring while we could.

David and his family moved to Fort Worth and joined our North Texas Chapter, moving from the Chicagoland area, in the final stages of planning for our 1996 BCA National Meet in Plano. David assisted in the planning of that meet and then took on a much larger role in the 2004 Meet. He adorned the side of his enclosed car trailer with a meet advertisement for this meet, which those who attended the 2003 Centennial Meet could have seen. It was on that trip to Flint that the issue of "tire age" became operative as each one of the 4 tires on the trailer "fatigued" on the way to Flint, although they looked good. Bill and (the late) Thelma Lough were travelling with David and Clara in the Corbin's crew cab pickup. As we understood it, when a tire blew out, it was akin to a NASCAR pit crew doing a tire change!

I can just hear David now, as he's now "upstairs", finding an old friend and saying "You remember when we . . . ?", with a big smile on his face.

Rest in Peace, David. THANKS for the cherished memories!

Willis Bell, 20811

I only got my internet access back a few minutes ago--it has been out since Friday (Verizon wireless), otherwise I would have participated sooner in this. I visited David in the hospital two weeks ago and he was talking (as usual!), eating, and generally seemed to be in fine spirits and good shape, although I knew he was fighting the cancer. I assumed he had many months if not years left, so what a shock this has been. His loss leaves a big void in our North Texas Chapter, our national BCA, and our internet forum community.

The aforementioned '38 Self Shifter Buick Special two-dr. sedan is in my garage where I have been reconditioning it after a few years of storage. It is for sale on behalf of the family. I hope someone who appreciates it will step up and take over the care of this car. I can send photos. I have gotten it running and the engine sounds good.

David's good deeds and many accomplishments are many more than can be listed here, but he joined our BCA chapter a month or two before the 1996 national meet that we hosted in Plano, Texas, therefore not soon enough to be meet chairman of that one.

I have lost a very close friend, and it will be tough to get through the funeral on Thursday of this week. Say a prayer for his family.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

My prayers to Dave's family. Having gone thru the greuling chemo regiment myself in 2006 for Mantel-cell Lymphoma I am thankfull for every day given me. I have aquired a sense of urgency in what I now do because I dont know if the cancer will return. With the state of treatments now available I was hopefull of Dave's recovery. May he rest in peace.

Larry

What a loss! My prayers and thoughts go out to Dave's family. I always appreciated his thorough approach to the numbers when I needed information and his pleasant demeanor. He will be missed.

My condolences and sympathy to Dave's family. We exchanged emails at times. I met Dave in Flint a couple of years ago, he and I got along as if we had been friends for many, many years. It a very interesting conversation I had with him as he showed me some of the papers he had and shared the information. DAve always had time to devote to all of us Buick people answering questions and looking up all kinds of info.

May his memory be eternal.

Stevo

here's the link to the obit, I really liked talking with Dave, and wish I had space, his '38 would be here forever but alas, i have no room. We miss you Dave, watch over these Buick people, thanks for all you did!!!

David F. Corbin Obituary: View David Corbin's Obituary by Star-Telegram

Thanks for doing that link, Roberta!

Y'all be sure to sign the online guest book, which will be online "forever".

Willis