Chasing Classic Cars

Restorer32

TV and newspaper errors are common. It's especially sad when they present

and expert that gets it wrong. Still an interesting show that encourages the myth that all old vehicles are worth a forutune and are good "investments".

Other shows like American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Car Crazy, Gearz, etc. make fun viewing and are entertainment, not verified reasearch.

I'd rather have the car shows with a few flaws than more political talk shows.

Is is interesting to search AACA. You will find that the Antique Automobile Collector Association does in fact claim to be a Region of AACA. (our group) But there are other more intesting places that share an accronim.

I remember the day that we were not first in the search results

Asian American Civic Association

African American College Alliance

Armenian American Cultural Association

Asian American Cultural Association

Antique Automobile Collectors Association

I've always found Chasing Classic Cars to be very interesting. I loved the one where he pulled that '60 Impala convertible from the garage it had been sitting in for 30 yrs ~ . Got it running and cleaned up, then took the widow owner for a ride in it before selling it for her at auction. However, it was another car that didn't bring what Wayne thought it would.

Wayne is a good guy, and the show is the best "Old Car" show on the air IMO. Must be a slow day for some to get so picky over a club name.

I agree. I am especially impressed that they will admit to not making a profit on every old car. I think it presents a fairly accurate portrayal of a segment of the hobby. I have had several "non car people" tell me they enjoy the show as well so that's good.

My favorite show was when he revealed on camera that the auction company reserves the right to bring the bidding up to the reserve (aka the Chandelier is bidding). Of course, unless the bidders are smart, they may not know they are bidding against the chandelier until that last magic bid when they hit the reserve.

One thing that may be a bit misleading to a novice is the actual time span required to clean up some of these cars. Because of editing, it looks like the Davis was fully restored in 3 weeks. In real life, in a professional shop, you are talking months if not years.

It would be interesting to know if he thinks the show has helped or hurt his actual business. The obvious answer that most people would think was that it helped a lot but I'm not 100% sure of that. If he's making buys and sells specifically to support the show and a story line that could start to take away from the real business.

I get pickier over a Hurst/Olds being identified as a 442. When I hear things I know are not quite there, I can't help wondering about the rest. Generally it seems pretty accurate.

Wayne actually referred to it as a "442 W-30" but unless he was a real Olds guy that was understandable. The owner of the car didn't seem to know much about it, he sounded like more of a car "investor" than a real hobbiest. I was actually more surprised that the auctioneer made no mention of the Hurst connection although the bidders obviously knew what it was since it sold for $87,000.

My daughter saw some episodes last year and that got her into the hobby. I rarely miss an episode. I do find it interesting that the cars often don't sell for what Wayne thinks they should, higher or lower. Wayne seems like a really great guy and it would be cool to meet him one day. Maybe he can sell my Metz for me (in 2025 when I get it finished).

I was in the line, waiting for flight to board in San Francisco, not long ago. I saw Wayne sit down at some available public computers 40 feet away, like a dummy I didn't give up my place in line to go say hi to him. Would have liked to compared Davis notes, as I used to own one.

I like the show, although there's a lot of repetition to fill up the half hour....and I agree that at least it's realistic, in that he doesn't always call the values correctly, but overall he surely is making a fair living buying and selling cars....

Guest Dr. Strangelove

'Chasing Classic Cars' is to shows about automobiles as the Beatles 'Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band' was to music.

Just look at some of the current gems offered on SPEEDTV: 'Dumbest Stuff on Wheels', 'Pimp My Ride', 'My Ride Rules', 'Pumped' and my favorite, 'Chop, Cut, Rebuild' ....

In my group of friends also watching 'Chasing Classic Cars', Roger, the 'Senior Wrench & Problem Solver' has grown to cult-like hero .....

Edited by Dr. Strangelove (see edit history)

I had never seen this show before seeing this discussion. I did some cable TV research and now it seems I have discovered another channel and another show that I will have to add to my normal viewing. After watching one and a half episodes, I think it is a pretty good show to watch.

One of his episodes amused me, as he was getting a Duesenberg running. Roger, the aforementioned mechanic, was messing around under the hood, and said, hmmmm, wonder what this lever does. He turned it, and was awarded with a puddle of oil under the car, it's the oil drain lever!

The same thing happened to me with my late friend in Baton Rouge, took a drive in his Duesenberg, in his driveway I looked under the hood, asking him what the lever was, he said turn it.....oops.............

He is CT based, and hosted a region meeting for us last year. The shop appears to be "active" in that he seems to do more than just TV production.

At that time he indicated the show would be coming to regular cable, saw him at Hershey and asked, unfortunately he said no, it is now staying on HD. Oh well, I am not a real big TV guy but I need to think about springing for HD I guess...

Guest Packardtea

I love the show. It is one of the better shows and Wayne seems like a honest guys. His mechanic is very knowlegable guy and very interesting. I wish it was a hour long!

They ran just about all the shows for 24 hours on Thanksgiving. We don't have HD TV, fortunately the kids do next door, made for a great family get together.:)

I love the show. It is one of the better shows and Wayne seems like a honest guys. His mechanic is very knowlegable guy and very interesting. I wish it was a hour long!

The way I see it is that no TV show will get it right 100% of the time and there are things done just because it is a TV show. Wayne seems to be the real deal as a car guy and the show does not pay "homage" to all that reality TV crap. I like the show and find it a refreshing change from a lot of other shows.

Wayne also is our Honoree for the hill climb event at the Elegance this year. He will be with us for the entire weekend and will be filming. Seems he is looking for a race car to bring as well! www.theeleganceathershey.com

I enjoy it also just have gotten used to "media" and "accuracy" being worlds apart. Am not an Olds guy but that doesn't mean a H/O logo on the decklid doesn't twig interest. Wonder how much higher it would have been bid if they had shown the picture of Linda Vaughn next to a 69 with the mailbox snorkles.

Suspect we see just a small part of his business though from the cars in the background I have to wonder about the sequencing.

All that said, it is entertaining and watching the show, am reminded of the line from Woody Allen in What's New Pussycat "It's all I can afford."

I don't disagree with any of the comments concerning this show, and I haven't seen every episode. I can't say that I'm particularly interested in many of the cars he ends up chasing. I know nothing of Lancia, Lotus, Fiat, etc. So many car he goes after are foreign makes that just aren't that interesting to me. One show, he went to look at a late 40s Dodge truck-based Woody wagon (Cantrell), and an early 50s Pontiac convertible. Both looked to be solid, very restorable cars. However, he wasn't interested in either, said they weren't worth much money. He ended up being much more interested in a Lotus convertible or something similar. I'd have loved to have gotten a better look at either of the other two. But, he seems to be a smart guy - I guess he knows where his bread is buttered.

I think in fairness to the show you are mentioning, he was spot on from a profit perspective. The Lancia had a much much higher ceiling for value than the Woody or Pontiac. The later being cool cars just not that valuable, or in the case of the Woody in such a bad state that it made no sense as a dealer to pursue it.

I think in fairness to the show you are mentioning, he was spot on from a profit perspective. The Lancia had a much much higher ceiling for value than the Woody or Pontiac. The later being cool cars just not that valuable, or in the case of the Woody in such a bad state that it made no sense as a dealer to pursue it.

I'm sure you're right. I do enjoy the show quite a bit - the best of its type that I've personally seen. I guess what I'm lamenting is that the type of cars I really like happen to be the ones that aren't all that valuable. So many of the cars he ends up chasing are ones that I know absolutely nothing about - therefore, they aren't always that interesting to me.

I understand that point of view very well. As a "dealer" I tend to gravitate towards cars that I personally find interesting. However, the most popular, valuable, and quickly sold cars we've had have been those that weren't my cup of tea, personally. I've learned to broaden my horizons and understand that just because I don't love it doesn't mean someone else won't. A good case in point is a 1904 CGV that we've had sitting around for a while, but since it was so old and a project, I kind of pushed it to the back burner and didn't focus on it. A few weeks ago, in an unrelated post, I mentioned it and put up two pictures of it. The phone has been ringing off the hook on that car ever since, and the price tag is probably going to be well into the six figures. So who knows what people will like, but I've definitely learned that no matter what it is, someone wants it badly. Rarity is the real defining factor--if there's only one, they've got to come to you. If it's a mass-produced car, there are a lot of alternatives.

On topic, I've only seen the show once and they actually looked at a COPO Camaro that's at the shop where I used to work. That was kind of cool to see, and the ended up buying one of the 17 (14 existing) 1971 GTO Judge convertibles at auction for what I thought was a reasonable price--if $380,000 plus fees can be considered reasonable.

Matt, Interesting viewpoint, as a hobbiest I can only buy cars I like, rule of thumb #1. I'd go nuts stuck with an ugly slow selling lump, if it looks good to me I don't feel bad walking past it untill Mr. Right comes along. Can't believe a quality car like a 1904 CGV is sitting on a back burner, then again a COPO Camaro is just an overpriced stamped out Camaro, seen one they all look the same. I'd take the Barrett-Jackson COPO money and put it in the '04 CGV and enjoy the London to Brighton, and bank the balance.

Matt, Interesting viewpoint, as a hobbiest I can only buy cars I like, rule of thumb #1. I'd go nuts stuck with an ugly slow selling lump, if it looks good to me I don't feel bad walking past it untill Mr. Right comes along. Can't believe a quality car like a 1904 CGV is sitting on a back burner, then again a COPO Camaro is just an overpriced stamped out Camaro, seen one they all look the same. I'd take the Barrett-Jackson COPO money and put it in the '04 CGV and enjoy the London to Brighton, and bank the balance.

Well, to be fair, the CGV is in pieces having been in a flood, and nobody seemed to know much about it. I will readily admit to a fairly high level of ignorance of brass-era French cars. The photos I have are not very good, as the car is stuck in a garage and disassembled, and there's virtually zero information on such cars anywhere. So I moved on to Packards and Lincolns and Buicks, all cars that I truly do love. In the mean time, that CGV has all the Brighton guys buzzing now, and we're trying to acquire more information on it and figure out what it truly is. It's much, much bigger than I initially suspected, with a giant 7-passenger body and a 9.8 liter engine. Call it ignorance, but when it didn't make my heart race, I [quite wrongfully] figured nobody else's would, either.

Call that an important lesson in old cars, for sure.

PS: I'm not much of a fan of muscle cars, but the COPOS are pretty cool just because of the way the dealers gamed the system to get them built. Imagine when the first build sheet for one of those 427 Camaros rolled across the GM engineering department's desks, all official-like. They must have been grinning like mental patients and said, "Let's get to work, boys!"

post-31138-143138767574_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138767576_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138767579_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138767582_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138767584_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
Added CGV photos (see edit history)

I'm speachless, make me want to ask everyother WalMart muscle car guy what he has hidden in his trash pile.

I don't understand what that means.

I hope you're not suggesting that I'm a "Walmart muscle car guy" since that's pretty much the opposite of who I am, and this wasn't a "trash bin" find but rather a "What do we do with it?" situation. I'm admitting that I misjudged the appeal of the car based on personal preferences, which was the whole point I'm trying to make. I won't make that mistake again.

Take a look at my personal cars and my inventory--not a muscle car there, unless you count a 1959 Ford Ranchero as a muscle car. My favorites are the big Full Classics, and always have been. I don't fully understand the fascination with most muscle cars, but it's real and there's a lot of money circulating there, and some of them are pretty cool. Remember that there was a time when hobbyists didn't understand how people could be interested in '50s cars, either...

Brass cars don't do a lot for me personally, I'm afraid, especially the very early single-cylinder ones, although I do admit to a certain fascination with the late brass era road locomotives simply because of their magnitude and presence.

Might I suggest that you're showing a similar predilection towards the muscle cars? They're not your thing, so you don't understand why anyone would want one. THAT's the point I was trying to make with the CGV, and admitting that it's a mistake to do so.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Matt, Bob hates post-war cars and there is no changing him. Trying to make this argument is like trying to convince someone I am handsome! It ain't going to work!:D

Me, I am a brass car guy mostly but love all things and having a 427 Camaro would be something I would love to own but be scared as hell to drive! I've had enough crazy moments back in the days with 4-4-2's! Kind of amazing how badly some of those cars handled and we did not even know it!

Remember that there was a time when hobbyists didn't understand how people could be interested in '50s cars, either...one of our former Presidents could quickly remind us that an entire new club sprouted from the fact that some people who had 40's cars felt unwelcomed years ago. Who thinks a 40's car is a "used car" today? Relatively few!

Times change, interests change and the great thing about AACA is that we are here to allow everyone to enjoy the hobby no matter what their interests are as long as they want to preserve our automotive history it is all good with us!