Chasing Classic Cars

Restorer32

Speaking only for myself here - I am most interested in cars that I remember seeing when I was growing up. Born in 1953, I started being able to identify specific makes and years by early 60s. I love cars from the mid 40s thru the mid 60s, and my interest tails off sharply after that. I've heard it said many times that people love the cars they remember from childhood - sometimes, it's someone's first car that determines their old car interest. I am somewhat disappointed when I watch "Chasing Classic Cars" or most any other show of that type, and there is almost never a car showcased that I have that much interest in. But, I can appreciate a classic Duesie, Packard, Lincoln or Cadillac from the early 30s in that they represent an era of craftsmanship and class that we'll never see again. Carini's show is miles ahead of My Classic Car, Overhaulin', Desert Classics or any other that I can think of. Even though I'll probably never see a lowly 49 Plymouth Suburban wagon, a bottom feeder 54 Chevrolet stripped down 2 dr post, or a 50 Studebaker Champion, I'll continue to watch the show and be glad it's there for me!

54nu, I agree with you. I think we do gravitate towards the cars we knew as kids which makes the hobby ever evolving. I was born in 1950 and by the time I was 6-7 years old, I could identify most cars from the late 40's on up. We'd go out for a ride and I would identify every car coming the other way. While I have my favorites through the decades, I like cars from the 20's & 30's as much as cars from the 70's & 80's and in between. In fact, if I had the money and the room, I'd probably have one of everything. That makes it just as hard for me in choosing my every day vehicles. There are so many cars out there that I'd like to have, it drives me (and my wife) nuts.

P.S. - regarding Wayne and Chasing Classic Cars, I have seen shows involving a '63 Falcon Squire wagon and '60 Impala convertible. I'm sure there are others. I find the show interesting even if I don't have a particular fondness for the car or cars he's featuring. It's still fun to see him (or his mechanic) get something running that hasn't been run in many a moon.

Edited by John_Maine (see edit history)

Can't say I know him personally, but having attended our region's meeting at his shop last fall it was pretty evident by what he was saying and the mix of cars there that he was primarilly into European sports cars and Full Classics, with a smattering of brass in there as well. He had a street rod or two in the showroom and I believe, an early Vette and Cobra replica as well at the time. He also drove the Davis to many local shows in the past couple of seasons, which is kind of a tough car to classify.

I tend to think what Matt H. said is true - even dealers gravitate towards what their interests are, Matt & Tom L. are good examples of that in addition to Wayne. There is no shortage of guys selling the later stuff though...

• 2 weeks later...