BARN FIND - copyrighted and banned

Guest BJM

(AP) "In a bold move initiated by unprecedented use of the word, one well known hobby organization and another auction house have applied for copyright status and been granted a temporary injunction for the term "b*** f***, which this organization can no longer print with possible retribution.

A spokesman for the auction house stated "we want to always be on top of the trends. Adding Barn Find to any old car seems to tweak interest in that car, resulting in higher bids. Now, even if we add "Barn Find" in front of a restored car, it adds value.

"And hey! how do we not know all cars resided in a barn at one time?"

This essentially means that all individuals that use "Barn Find" in their Craigs List and ebay auctions, a number which has increased exponentially in the last 5 years, despite the decreasing number of rural barns - face copyright lawsuits over the use of the term.

The attorney for the undiscolsed auction house did state " we would be amicable to a rights fees but pre-registration is required"

This has resulted, however, in Barn Find" back lash. Several individuals have switched to the new buzzword - "suburban garage find", which works, but does not yet carry the cache of "barn find".

Will this be the end of the use "Barn Find" to describe everything left in the automotive world?

Can I use the term "Barn Find" to describe my heavily corroded 1941 Cadillac taillamp housing I found in my uncle's barn after a little digging in the horse poop? Inquiring minds want to know!

Finally, I am going to add that phrase one more time in hopes of breaking the Forum record for use of a term in a single post "Barn Find"

Where is my prize.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Sounds lilke what you really find in most barns, Bull _ _ _ _ or another

attempt at full employment for lawyers.

I love good "barn find" stories. Tom Cotter has a few books on barn finds

that he calls "Great Stories of Automotive Archaeology" but always gets the word Barn in the title, like Cobra in the Barn, Hemi in the Barn and for the motorcycle guys, The Vincent in the Barn: Great Stories of Motorcycle Archaeology.

Guest Model T Nick

Webster definds "Barn" as a place to house a fleet of vehicles (as trolleys, cars or trucks)

My definition would be "Found with the animals in a rural building"

Well if that don't beat all! When are we going to find out which hobby organization and auction house have

trademarked BF? Survivor is trademarked, as is True Classic, and now we add BF to the list.

What's next, is "original" going to be taken away, administered by some "hobby" governing body?

I hope not, as the "Roadmistress" below was literally a "pole barn original."

57_as_found_611299.jpg

Larger, click once after opening.

Now, what would really make my day, my whole year, in fact, and a great way to start the new decade,

would be the news that someone has trademarked rat rod.

TG

What really needs to happen is for someone to trademark/copyright "complete freakin' idiot" and charge every opportunistic lawyer/auction house in the country exorbitant royalties.:mad:

After all, they fit the description.

I believe the Corvette crowd cannot enforce "Survivor" unless it is capitalized and specifically applied to an automobile.

Some of these big auction houses need to realise people are getting wise to their tactics. They need to worry about their financial solvency and making sure sellers get paid before they go off on a tangent trying to copyright words in the English vernacular for financial/legal gain.

Old folks wisdom: "Keep lawyers and skunks at a distance"

The legal profession needs more Atticus Finches and Perry Masons. Fictional characters, yes, but fictional men of principle and integrity, which are qualities I find sorely lacking in a lot of professional people.

There's more than one way to skin a cat (i.e. lawyers & auction houses),

so thank Heaven for Roget's Thesaurus...

Here are some descriptive terms to get around Barn Find:

Stable Revelation;

Cowshed Get;

Manger Acquisition;

Doghouse Discovery;

and last, but not least;

Pigsty Procurement.

TG

(Think I'll stick with Pole Barn Original) :P

Guest YellowBird

Always being curious for more details to a story, I searched the AP website without finding this information. Can you please post a link or where you found this information?

Always being curious for more details to a story, I searched the AP website without finding this information. Can you please post a link or where you found this information?

Yellowbird,

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. In my weekly searches for cars/car projects - I am finding more and more "barn finds" and it makes me roll my eyes.

As others have noted, phrases in our hobby get over used (and copyrighted) "Survivor" Full Classic and numbers matching, for instance.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

I was thinking that perhaps this one started about 4 months early. 4-1-10 would have been a better starting date for this topic.

Hey, you are correct. I should pull it! Just as soon as they admit the Tucker convertible is both a barn find and a fabrication!

I have heard the term "barn find" ever since about 1966 when my neighbor was out visiting a relative found a 1931 Plymouth coupe under a haystack in their barn. I don't believe anyone can patent that term.

Well, FYI I've just copyrighted "Antique Automobile" so everyone please send me a dollar. I'm also working on copyrighting "toilet-paper." Does anyone know who the company is that allegedly did this so we can show them what one really finds in a barn?

Terry

Guest billybird

A term that causes my eyes to roll is "low milage original". Everytime I see that phrase, I say to myself, "here we go again", knowing that some are legit. I just can't believe there are as many "low milage originals" as we are led to believe.

Well, FYI I've just copyrighted "Antique Automobile" so everyone please send me a dollar.

Terry,

When I see you in Philly next month, I'll pay you 1 kudo for every

time your copyrighted "Antique Automobile" is mentioned.

You will clean house at the Awards Ceremony, for sure!

Where you gonna spend all those kudos?!

TG

Guest kaycee

:)My friends cats bring home 'barnfinds' on a daily basis, all the same rusty grayish brown color too! Talk about luck, but I have an elusive groundhog in my barn, so maybe some day!

:)kaycee

TERRY,

The byproducts of "Antique Automobile" , at least in my experience seem to be Ferrous Oxide and Carbon Dioxide. Will you also claim responsibility for these, and reclaim them from my projects.

Best to you for the New Year.

Good One, Bryan!

Reminds me of the story I heard about a bar owner in Wyoming who got a letter from the AMC/Jeep Corporation in the 70's. AMC/Jeep heard he owned a bar called "Jeep's" and were informing him he could no longer use their trademarked name. The owner wrote back and said his nickname was Jeep and that the bar had been in business since 1937 under that name. Though he might have grounds for suing the automaker for taking his name...he said he'd be content with five bucks for every vehicle made with the word Jeep on it since 1945. That, supposedly, ended the dispute.

A clothing designer in New York trademarked the word "Montana" a few years ago. What we're supposed to call that state between North Dakota and Idaho, I don't know!

Guest cargray

The true story on MOST barnfinds are they were never really "lost". Some old coot was saving them from the street rodders and butchers. most had intensions of some day restoring and just ran out of time. I have noticed that most of the barnfinds are by some dealer who considers the cars "lost" if they are not in the selling or auction circus...RD

I found my 51 desoto in an old chicken coop does that make it a coop find??

not to change the subject but my 6year old grand daughter call me and asked this question Why do chicken coop only have 2 doors..................

Because if the had 4doors the would be called sedans

I suspect "Real Deal" is another such particularly when applied to a 58 Corvette with an HEI or an E-type "first in the US" and inside hood latches.

Once upon a time my cars were "new". Around age 10 they were "old" and this usually about the time I acquired them. Twenty yar or so later they are called different things but to me they are still "drivers". Got tired of shuffling so now each has a door.

"Antique Automobile" is copyrighted and has been for decades...that is our magazine. I initially said to myself, smart thinking to grab the term barn find as I wished we had taken survivor years ago. The more I thought about it the more I thought of it as being "anti-hobby". No one should own the term as it is so commonly used. I think this could backfire on whoever is trying to do this.

There are still real, genuine barn finds out there. I know of several but the owners refuse to discuss the contents or what will become of them.