Making the AACA More Appealing to Young People

Guest Turismo
Just now, keithb7 said:

It will not be a daily driver. Just a cruiser. However it seeing a fair bit of use since we bought it as the weather has been great.

The car runs well. It's not responsive like a modern car. This one has the L-head six cylinder. It will require some regular maintenance

like point gap setting, brake adjustments etc. It feels more like a tractor engine type power.

I am early in the vintage car game however not new to car maintenance, repair or rebuild. I like  50's car looks and simplicity. I like

wrenching and tinkering on cars, trucks, motorcycles, Jet-Skis, whatever. So this car fits the bill nicely. I expect to be working on this

car regularly for as long as I own it. Some for required maintenance, some just for the love of tinkering. She turns a lot of heads in 

town. Its an inviting car. Complete strangers like to approach and ask about it. Talk about it. I like that. The world needs more 

face to face human interaction, and less texting it seems.

And automobiles seem to open doors to plenty of interaction. Also, I guess I didn't expect much A1 performance out of that thing, looks like it handles like a boat. 

5 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Complete strangers like to approach and ask about it. Talk about it. I like that. The world needs more 

face to face human interaction, and less texting it seems.

That there is the truth!!  

• Like 4

Some here have touched on the fact that car shows and events can be a challenge when it comes to appealing to spouses and their young children. I thought it would be good to pass along what a friend of mine does at a Volkswagen car event he runs that addresses the young children. Maybe the AACA should consider doing something like this or something else geared to children this age since this method has shown proven results. 

The first year or two my friend started running this VW car show, his mother noticed something when she was at the event helping out. She noticed the there were not a lot of families at the event with young children (ie children 10 and under). The children she did see appeared bored and not very excited. The following year she decided that the children needed something to do at least for a little while that would get them excited about being at the car show and actually make them want to be there. So, she decided to start a VW coloring and trivia contest for the children. She set up a couple EZ Up tents with tables at the show.  She then found some illustrations of various VWs that the children could color. She purchased crayons at the end of the local stores "Back to School" sales at a deep discount. All during the year prior to the VW show she purchased Volkswagen matchbox and Hot Wheel cars whenever she came across them along with other car based toys, etc (ie a DVD of Disney's "Cars" or one of the Herbie The Love Bug movies). The coloring contest is broken down into different age groups with winners in each group. There are also very easy trivia questions with prizes and other give-a-ways as well. (basically each child goes home with something). During these activities (which take about 45 minutes) the children have a lot of fun and their parents get a chance to sit down in the shade under a nearby tent and relax watching their children have fun. Over the last few years I have watched this activity grow in size. When I asked my friend how this event went last year (2016) he told me his Mom told him that she had SIXTY-THREE children take part in these activities last year. Needless to say the word is out among parents as attendance for this activity has continued to grow every year as has show car (up to about 200 cars) and spectator attendance. These activities are free for the children and run by my friend's Mother (a retiree with grand children who loves kids) and some other daughters and mothers who help out. The smiles on the children's faces and their parent's faces says it all.

So, this is an example of something a Grandmother did that has sparked an interest in young children and motivated the children and their parents to come to a car show. Maybe the AACA should think about activites like this for children at their events (ie Meets or Annual Meeting) that would make those events more appealing to the children and their parents. That might be one way to grow membership of younger people who have children.

Charlie

• Like 4

Guest Turismo
On 5/13/2017 at 8:02 AM, charlier said:

Another thing we need to keep in mind here is that an older car does not have modern safety devices (airbags, ABS brakes, traction control, etc) that newer cars have. Insurance companies slam younger drivers when it comes to insurance rates and in the eyes of insurance companies older vehicles (without safety devices) are less safe and cost them more $$$ when in an accident which they pass along to their customers. For the parents of younger drivers and parents of young children in their 20s to 40s (the other younger people in this discussion we hope become AACA members) owning an older car (daily driver)  can be a financial and safety concern that some will not want to take the risk on. Sadly, I personally have seen the result of modern vehicle vs old vehicle crashes and the old vehicle has ALWAYS lost in those encounters and the drivers and passengers have suffered physical and financial hardship.

Of the people I've met, and the articles complaining about these problems, you're the one that managed to make me ponder it the most. I've always wanted an antique as a daily, or something to drive often, due to its simplicity and the idea of saving money on insurance and repairs. Should I just hold off on driving classics until I get much older? It would be a shame to wait so long, but these safety concerns have me at a conflict. 

2 minutes ago, Turismo said:

Of the people I've met, and the articles complaining about these problems, you're the one that managed to make me ponder it the most. I've always wanted an antique as a daily, or something to drive often, due to its simplicity and the idea of saving money on insurance and repairs. Should I just hold off on driving classics until I get much older? It would be a shame to wait so long, but these safety concerns have me at a conflict. 

Turismo, it wouldn't hurt to talk to an insurance agents about this.

Guest Turismo
2 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Turismo, it wouldn't hurt to talk to an insurance agents about this.

Hm, might just do that. AFAIK, our insurance company has low rates for classic car insurance, but I've heard about restrictions of having a car insured under it.

1 hour ago, Turismo said:

Hm, might just do that. AFAIK, our insurance company has low rates for classic car insurance, but I've heard about restrictions of having a car insured under it.

I don't know how that works. My old cars are on JC Taylor and are not daily drivers. My father used to have a Model A on his regular insurance. I think it was Allstate, but of course, he is much older. Get a quote and factor the cost in your plan. If it's cost prohibitive, perhaps get a newer daily driver and find a less expensive classic to use as an occasional car, but not the daily driver. 

'How to make AACA more appealing to young people?"

Start early with kids to build an interest in old cars.  We tried this on Monday.

How Many Kindergardener's fit on a Model T running board?

Then, How Many Kindergardener's fit on a Model A running board?

Then, How Many Kindergardener's fit on a Early Ford V8  running board?  etc,

It was a lot of fun and a lot of little hand prints, but quick detailer took car of that.

DSC03223.JPG

DSC03219.JPG

DSC03222.JPG

• Like 3

IDK about insurance issues. I was 22 when I got my '68 Javelin 290 SST in 2005 (I think all that math add up), and it was with Hagerty. I think I had it covered for $10k at the time and they gave me a waiver for a dirt floor barn for storage. $120 a year or something like that. My daily driver as a young person was always at least 15 years old or older and insurance never hit hard (PA state min). I don't think insurance cost are what's holding folks back.

Young people are in too big of a hurry to slow down and enjoy older cars and their ownership.  They can't even sit at a stop light without checking their phone.  They can't stay with a job long enough to get a full paycheck because something is not up to their expectations.

These are generalizations, but they are what I see each and every day.  Sure there are exceptions.

• Like 2

Guest SaddleRider
13 hours ago, Turismo said:

. Should I just hold off on driving classics until I get much older?

I disagree - if I understand safety standards of all cars recently manufactured for sale legally in the United States,  they ALL have crash-resistant structures, air bags, superb brakes, properly anchored seat-belts, great safety lighting, etc.

Don't listen to the "old fogeys" in here who think the kind of "precision of speech" of the old days, has any relevance to what we have become as a country and as a culture these days.  True, there was a time when the term "antique car" meant a car with ANTIQUE features, meaning, manufactured prior to the 1920's.  True, there was a time when the term "classic car"  was reserved only for the largest, most powerful, most elegant "super luxury" cars of the 1930's era.  

Now, ALL cars are "antique / classic"....although you still see some rumblings from the "hard-cases" who say they should first be twenty years old.

I personally recommend a Toyota, Honda, or Subaru product - they are easy to maintain ( just change the oil and filters regularly, and they will last practically forever...)    for example...buy a 2005 model year,  and in less than a dozen years few will deny that it is a "classic antique".  In the meantime, you will have a far safer driving experience than rattling around in older, less reliable vehicles, many of which didn't even have a stereo or air conditioning.

14 hours ago, Turismo said:

Should I just hold off on driving classics until I get much older?

You will have more regrets about the things that you didn't do than the things you did do in life.

The collector insurance companies will want your daily driver info before they will issue a collector or limited use policy.

5 hours ago, JACK M said:

You will have more regrets about the things that you didn't do than the things you did do in life.

Listen to this man, ^^^ he knows the secret.

• Like 1

Actually there isn't much I have wanted to do or have that I haven't. Do want to take the train across the Canadian Rockies (could, just haven't) but now that I have a retractible is about it. "Enough" has always been good.

And BTW currently the  AACA accepts 1992 models, were a lot with ABS, airbags, and all the safety stuff, some interesting cars even.

Guest Turismo
32 minutes ago, padgett said:

Actually there isn't much I have wanted to do or have that I haven't. Do want to take the train across the Canadian Rockies (could, just haven't) but now that I have a retractible is about it. "Enough" has always been good.

And BTW currently the  AACA accepts 1992 models, were a lot with ABS, airbags, and all the safety stuff, some interesting cars even.

It's astonishing that some of these are even considered classics. Has anyone ever suggested changing this AACA guideline to, maybe, 30 years or older, 35, etc?

Buy a regular car at the low end of it's depreciation curve in good shape from a retired couple that took good care of it.   Something around 10 years old, Even if you have to pay a little over book for it.  It won't be much.  (even a nice little pickup as you can make some money working with them)  Save the rest of your money, and buy a nice old car when you have enough to do so.  Work some extra jobs,  what ever you have to do to come up with some extra cash.  You will be surprised how quick you can come up with enough money to buy a second older car to play with.  Remember your first old car,  you probably won't own forever so use it as a stepping stone to eventually get to one of those other cars you have always dreamed of.  You will get to enjoy old cars all along the way and may even find something you like better or find your taste has changed. 

I started out lusting after every old car (pretty much 50's and back) in the 1980's finally bought one,  then sold it,  bought another.  First one cost 1200 and wasn't road legal. 

Never figured I would be at the point I'm at now.  A 36 Cord Phaeton, a couple of nice 32 Ford hot rods, a Hudson pickup,  a really nice house that has a large percentage of it paid for and I'm preparing to build a nice new very large garage on our 7 acres,  that I have the money saved to do.  Not to mention some nice equipment to do the work with all paid for.  

I'm self employed and work a lot but Also very thrifty (I don't go out to do much including eating out and entertainment) and avoid paying interest on anything I can.   It's not for everyone but it's the goal I set for myself and so far I'm headed for it. 

I'm 43 now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

accepts 1992 models

No offence to your tastes at all, trust me on that....but we older, or even younger AACA members, should not try to instantly steer a newbie, young or old, directly to "back row used car lot" autos, only because they are cheap to buy and should be more reliable.  Oft times they can be a financial disaster when it comes to expensive complicated Automatic trans issues, failing computer controlled engine systems and lord know what else. These modern components and control systems cannot always be repaired by a home hobbyist on any low to mid income budget, and cannot usually be fixed with home shops tools.  Don't kid yourselves on these issues.

Taking the view of "steering away" any new hobby person who at first asks about older cars, rather than even mentioning a model that is "just barely being legal" for AACA venues, is not my view at all:

Some long term members cannot see the fact that many beautiful prewar and postwar autos simply cannot find a serious buyer in these times, especially one that needs work.  We cry the blues when one of these gets "rescued" from it's dusty barn, and finally gets back out on the road, but with modern parts like a resto-mod.  So, why do some people say forget the "old stuff" as they cost too much, or can't be reliable?  That just makes the survivors have one less potential savior. 

AACA needs to wake up on this topic.  It took how many decades for them to promote saving original , slightly worn autos with HPOC???  DECADES!! >  in that interim, many nice survivor cars were then "show restored" for "acceptance" at shows like Hershey.  We need to save as many older cars as possible, and that won't happen if there is no slight push to find owners to take care of these old autos.

. just a general opinion, not aimed to the person who started this thread...

Edited by F&J (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The more "new" cars you let on the show field the less "OLD" cars you will get. This will be my 48th HERSHEY in a row, and it looks like I'll leave on Friday and miss the car show part of the event for the first time, sad in a way, but my type of cars aren't there in force anymore. Bob

• Like 2

I totally agree! See I'm only 18 years old and I feel that I am most likely one of the youngest on this site. I joined a few days back and I have already learned so much!! But in my opinion, Older cars are more fascinating and not a big jelly bean like most modern cars appear to be. And anyways, People call me weird for being so young and loving Buicks, but I don't really care what people think, they all fascinate me!

• Like 5

Guest Turismo
3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Buy a regular car at the low end of it's depreciation curve in good shape from a retired couple that took good care of it.   Something around 10 years old, Even if you have to pay a little over book for it.  It won't be much.  (even a nice little pickup as you can make some money working with them)  Save the rest of your money, and buy a nice old car when you have enough to do so.  Work some extra jobs,  what ever you have to do to come up with some extra cash.  You will be surprised how quick you can come up with enough money to buy a second older car to play with.  Remember your first old car,  you probably won't own forever so use it as a stepping stone to eventually get to one of those other cars you have always dreamed of.  You will get to enjoy old cars all along the way and may even find something you like better or find your taste has changed. 

I started out lusting after every old car (pretty much 50's and back) in the 1980's finally bought one,  then sold it,  bought another.  First one cost 1200 and wasn't road legal. 

Never figured I would be at the point I'm at now.  A 36 Cord Phaeton, a couple of nice 32 Ford hot rods, a Hudson pickup,  a really nice house that has a large percentage of it paid for and I'm preparing to build a nice new very large garage on our 7 acres,  that I have the money saved to do.  Not to mention some nice equipment to do the work with all paid for.  

I'm self employed and work a lot but Also very thrifty (I don't go out to do much including eating out and entertainment) and avoid paying interest on anything I can.   It's not for everyone but it's the goal I set for myself and so far I'm headed for it. 

I'm 43 now. 

You must have been doing a lot of work to maintain and even own your collection. would love to know what you do for work :huh:

27 minutes ago, RetroJohnny said:

I totally agree! See I'm only 18 years old and I feel that I am most likely one of the youngest on this site. I joined a few days back and I have already learned so much!! But in my opinion, Older cars are more fascinating and not a big jelly bean like most modern cars appear to be. And anyways, People call me weird for being so young and loving Buicks, but I don't really care what people think, they all fascinate me!

Welcome to the club, I'm a 16-year-old who's constantly received criticism for the hobby. Might I ask what people question you for? Maybe we can relate on that basis. One thing I hate is the negative perception these vehicles get in particular. Look, they may not hold up in a lot of instances on the road, but the previous generations survived! They drove them for miles and they're fine. Then there's the environmentalist snobs that act as if a Cadillac will emit substances that cause civilization to go extinct. Earth's been through worse, so what? Anyways I'm getting a little over my head, welcome, RetroJohnny.

I'm the chief CEO of my company.  Well some of the time,  the rest of the time I'm the janitor and guy in the mail room. 

I've actually done a few things which play right into owning old cars.  I started working in my Grandfather's boat shop doing all the crappy work,  like paint stripping boats, sanding them by hand,  finally working my way up to being able to paint them, all for $1 an hour and this was the late 1980's.   All the while Mowing lawns,  doing camp clean up work,  you name it.  Just like alot of guys here have probably done,  even washing dishes at night for a few more bucks to buy more parts for my cars. 

I went to work right out of High school, Actually before the end of the school year, at a local marina,  cleaning boats and working in the rental department,  eventually working up to a mechanic.  It was a small marina though so you still did all the crappy jobs and rentals as I was still on the bottom of the totem pole until the final year I was there.  During that time in the off season I began working with another employee in his Carpentry business and eventually quit the Marina going full time to work for him when he branched out as well.   His business grew and I worked my way up to Foreman of the crew in our town (not as great a job as it sounds and the pay wasn't much more for running the whole show) He ran a separate crew in another town.  We did everything including lots of roofing down a 14 mile lake by boat and building docks on the ice in the winter at 0 with a -20 wind chill.  

After a few years with him I decided to start my own contracting business and went to work on my first project,  a 4000 square foot 3 story log "camp"  I did everything on that with one helper including set the concrete forms for the mason,  to all the log work,(the first piece of wood went up on December 31st, not the time to start a new building)   framing,  Tile work, twin decks, Log siding, Hardwood flooring etc.  That took 2 years.  I did a few small jobs for the next year and built docks, then went back to the same family and put a large addition on their other camp.  

When  I found the Carpentry market hard to break into down here,  I put a transom on a boat for a guy in my driveway.  People loved the work, so I found a shop with good road frontage  to work in and bought it,  ironically never getting another boat to rebuild afterwards.  (another market that is pretty tied up by the few local shops)

Bills were due so I started selling car parts on ebay.  I had a bunch laying around I didn't need) Eventually buying many lots and every parts book I could find to identify stuff other guys couldn't.   I sell alot of parts on ebay.  About 3000-4000 a year.  I used to say anyone could do it,  but it does take a certain mindset to be successful at it and being able to swallow your pride even when you know you are right and accepting that the customer is always right in Ebay's eyes. 

There are pros and cons but so far it's worked for me.  There are dry spells and times stuff just doesn't sell.  You will overpay more than once for stuff you thought was good and you need alot of storage space for dead inventory. I sell old parts so it's not a mail order type of deal where you pick up the phone to get fresh inventory.,  It's a learning curve and I'm still learning. 

So right now I'm the chief CEO.  In a little while,  I'll be the photographer/ lister,  after that it's pickup time,  so then I get to be the janitor.  

One thing is for sure.  In life you need to learn to make lemonade out of the lemons.

I'm not religious but I also say a little prayer every night to give thanks for what I have and been able to do.

It can't all be just by chance that I'm at this point today.  There are just way too many twists that worked out right. 

That's a whole other story though and The boss is breathing down my neck to get back to work;)

• Like 2

Guest Turismo
Just now, victorialynn2 said:

You remind me of my father's work ethic Auburnseeker. 

And I'm the total opposite, unless I get something out of it :ph34r:

(see "Silver Streak crowd")

I have very rarely had a "dull" car and have rarely spent more than $10k for one (mostly new family cars). Consider two of them from my GM period:

- 1988 Buick Reatta coupe. two seater, low production, dead reliable Buick 3800 drivetrain. I consider a landmark for the multifunction touchscreen in the center of the dash (kids love it)

- 1993 (eligible next year but 91-92 are now) Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. 7,000 rpm DOHC 6 (first for GM), 5 speed Getrag (last manual trans offered in a GP)

and it would not take much looking to find nice examples for under U$10k. For both.

Both of mine have been reprogrammed to run cooler (GM has had computer cars since 1981), both are equipped for handsfree, both have 4 wheel disk brakes with ABS, either could be a daily driver. Parts are readily available. Marque forums exist for both.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2017 at 9:55 PM, Turismo said:

You REALLY need to talk with your parents and both you and them need to talk with their insurance agent/company and you need to do that BEFORE you buy a car. Are you currently a licensed driver listed on your parent's auto policy? If not, that would be the place to start. Find out how much it will cost for you to simply be added to their policy on the cars they own. That cost may surprise/shock both you and your parents. I have two nephew's your age. One is learning to driver now and the other will be doing that early next year. Both nephews parents have spoken with their respective insurance companies and the cost increase for their policies by adding their sons is FAR from peanuts.

When it comes to Antique/Classic Insurance there are two BIG things to keep in mind. First there is Driver Eligibility requirements and second there are the Vehicle Usage restrictions. For example, the company I use to insure my Antique Vehicles defines these as follows:

Driver Eligibility

• All licensed drivers in the household may not have more than 1 moving violation or at-fault accident in the past 3 years. A maximum of 2 per household.
  • An operator with a major violation is ineligible for the program.
  • Licensed drivers must have at least 10 years driving experience in order to be eligible for coverage. Any member without 10 years driving experience must be excluded from the policy (supplemental form required to be signed by insured and excluded driver (s)).
  • Each licensed driver in the household must have a regular use vehicle, which is insured with limits equal to or higher than the limits being applied for on the collectible vehicle. At least one regular use vehicle must be less than 15 years old.
  • All licensed members of the household and any other drivers of the vehicle must be listed on the application.

Vehicle Usage

• Vehicles are not to be used for:
    • Work/school commutes
    • Regular personal use
    • Business/commercial use
    • Track, racing or timed events of any kind whether competitive or not
    • A substitute for a regular, personal use vehicle
    • Backup transportation
  • Vehicles must be stored in a fully enclosed, locked garage when not in use.

These Driver Eligibility and Vehicle Usage guidelines will vary from company to company you so you need to research this well. For example, I have seen another company that requires just 5 years of driving experience as one of their driver eligibility requirements. Still others fail to mention these requirements at all on their web sites. Once you submit an application to them for coverage these requirements then kick in and you may not be offered coverage.

FYI, the reason why antique/classic auto insurance is less expensive is because these vehicles are exposed to less risk (ie not driven daily, driven by more experience drivers with very good driving records and are kept in a locked garage when not in use). The Eligibility and Usage requirements listed above may pose a big challenge for you when seeking this type of coverage. The other thing to keep in mind is that a vehicle on a policy like this will have to be registered/owned in your parent's name(s) and the policy be in their names. That also means they are legally and financially liable should that vehicle be involved in an accident while you are driving it. (BTW, this would be the same if you buy a more modern vehicle as well)

Please be advised that I post this information to inform you and others of what you are getting into, Sadly, this information might not seem very encouraging. Personally, I am a firm believer in researching the heck out of things like this. The more research you do, the less surprises you will have and then you can feel confident that you made the best decision possible.

Good Luck,

Charlie

14 hours ago, Turismo said:

You must have been doing a lot of work to maintain and even own your collection. would love to know what you do for work :huh:

Welcome to the club, I'm a 16-year-old who's constantly received criticism for the hobby. Might I ask what people question you for? Maybe we can relate on that basis. One thing I hate is the negative perception these vehicles get in particular. Look, they may not hold up in a lot of instances on the road, but the previous generations survived! They drove them for miles and they're fine. Then there's the environmentalist snobs that act as if a Cadillac will emit substances that cause civilization to go extinct. Earth's been through worse, so what? Anyways I'm getting a little over my head, welcome, RetroJohnny.

Well I either clean apartments on some days and other days I dig trenches and landscape, so not very fun work but it pays for car parts! But people question why would some kid like you like some "grandma car" ? I just tell them that they don't fully understand all of things that Buick has actually accomplished and that they shouldn't criticize my cars when most of the time they don't have a car themselves. But I totally agree man, we gotta hold on to our gas guzzling beauties!

• Like 1

Guest Turismo
57 minutes ago, charlier said:

You REALLY need to talk with your parents and both you and them need to talk with their insurance agent/company and you need to do that BEFORE you buy a car. Are you currently a licensed driver listed on your parent's auto policy? If not, that would be the place to start. Find out how much it will cost for you to simply be added to their policy on the cars they own. That cost may surprise/shock both you and your parents. I have two nephew's your age. One is learning to driver now and the other will be doing that early next year. Both nephews parents have spoken with their respective insurance companies and the cost increase for their policies by adding their sons is FAR from peanuts.

When it comes to Antique/Classic Insurance there are two BIG things to keep in mind. First there is Driver Eligibility requirements and second there are the Vehicle Usage restrictions. For example, the company I use to insure my Antique Vehicles defines these as follows:

Driver Eligibility

• All licensed drivers in the household may not have more than 1 moving violation or at-fault accident in the past 3 years. A maximum of 2 per household.
  • An operator with a major violation is ineligible for the program.
  • Licensed drivers must have at least 10 years driving experience in order to be eligible for coverage. Any member without 10 years driving experience must be excluded from the policy (supplemental form required to be signed by insured and excluded driver (s)).
  • Each licensed driver in the household must have a regular use vehicle, which is insured with limits equal to or higher than the limits being applied for on the collectible vehicle. At least one regular use vehicle must be less than 15 years old.
  • All licensed members of the household and any other drivers of the vehicle must be listed on the application.

Vehicle Usage

• Vehicles are not to be used for:
    • Work/school commutes
    • Regular personal use
    • Business/commercial use
    • Track, racing or timed events of any kind whether competitive or not
    • A substitute for a regular, personal use vehicle
    • Backup transportation
  • Vehicles must be stored in a fully enclosed, locked garage when not in use.

These Driver Eligibility and Vehicle Usage guidelines will vary from company to company you so you need to research this well. For example, I have seen another company that requires just 5 years of driving experience as one of their driver eligibility requirements. Still others fail to mention these requirements at all on their web sites. Once you submit an application to them for coverage these requirements then kick in and you may not be offered coverage.

FYI, the reason why antique/classic auto insurance is less expensive is because these vehicles are exposed to less risk (ie not driven daily, driven by more experience drivers with very good driving records and are kept in a locked garage when not in use). The Eligibility and Usage requirements listed above may pose a big challenge for you when seeking this type of coverage. The other thing to keep in mind is that a vehicle on a policy like this will have to be registered/owned in your parent's name(s) and the policy be in their names. That also means they are legally and financially liable should that vehicle be involved in an accident while you are driving it. (BTW, this would be the same if you buy a more modern vehicle as well)

Please be advised that I post this information to inform you and others of what you are getting into, Sadly, this information might not seem very encouraging. Personally, I am a firm believer in researching the heck out of things like this. The more research you do, the less surprises you will have and then you can feel confident that you made the best decision possible.

Good Luck,

Charlie

Good to know, lot of useful info here:D

Yeah, I've been an advocate for doing as much research as possible before making major decisions. 

By the way, It is not mandatory that you insure and old car with a collectable policy.

Maybe buy a car that you could afford to only put liability insurance on and take the chance that if it gets wrecked by someone else's fault it could be repaired and if you wreck it yourself then I guess you eat the loss.

I don't think I had full coverage on any of my cars until I had one with a loan against it.

I don't make a habit of wrecking my own cars. But I guess it could happen.

Hey guys, I am new here but I would like to offer my take on the original post. I feel that our youth today should be included in some fashion. Not all youth (or adults) can afford a classic car nowadays. The prices of these cars today is insane IMHO. What teenager who works at Wal-Mart (or most any minimum wage job) can go out and buy a $10-30K classic car? Even junker classics are bringing stupid money today. I think there should be some ways to include them even if they drive a 1998 Yugo. I don't think it is so much the "car" as it is the friendships and comradery. I also see most of our youth today being obsessed with iPads, cell phones and computers. I believe the percentage of car enthusiasts youth today are very few in numbers. I miss the days when drag racing was hot. I remember spending my weekends at the strip and there were kids/teenagers everywhere. Today?, few to none. Oh well, just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 2

Almost all the cars I posted were 5,000 or under.  There is stuff out there to have fun with,  it just won't be a tripower equipped 348 60 Chevy Impala 2 door hardtop.  Maybe an early 60's Buick Special, Olds F-85, or Pontiac Lemans.  Even an AMC product or Studebaker could be had pretty darn cheap.  I think I have even seen early 60's Convertibles right around the 5,000 mark in good usable shape.  That's in the Northeast king of the rust belt. I can only imagine what some brush pounding would turn up in the midwest or west coast. 

My first old car wasn't a 1957 Chevy belair hardtop or 1932 Ford,  it was a 1950 Desoto Coupe that needed work.  The second one still wanting something cool like a 57 Chevy,  was a 1956 Olds 88 2 door hardtop.  A nice car overall with plenty of go,  considering Chevy had a 283 and my olds has a 324 Rocket.  I Paid 2500 for it and an army trunk full of Gi Joe Figures. (they were going to be a gift for the guy's son or grandson)  A comparable 57 Chevy would have been close to 10,000 at the time. 

You have to be a little flexible and very persistent.   lots of good cars out their and some as cheap as 2500 in driver shape. 

It is true that 25 year-old cars can be obtained for $5K or even less.  But, with a few exceptions, they are not suitable as daily transportation; because a $5K 25 year-old car is generally not dependable enough to get a person to work and to the store day in and day out.

A car that is ten years old, however, can easily serve as daily transportation and can double as a vehicle for the automotive hobbyist at the same time.  Many young people can't afford two cars.  They don't have the luxury of owning one car for daily transportation and another car for pleasure.  

Some have argued that there are other venues, outside of the AACA, where a young person can enjoy his newer-model car.  That's true, but that train of thought does nothing to bring young people into our organization.  

4 hours ago, Rocketman_47 said:

Even junker classics are bringing stupid money today

That is simply not true in all cases in our present time.  The reason is quite clear to me at age 65.  My friends are mostly a bit older that I , and for the first time, these older guys are SELLING their unfinished cars, due to many reasons.  In the long past that I have been in the hobby, older guys simply said to person who knew of the cars.... "I'll restore it someday, so no, it is not for sale"

Something has changed in their thought patterns, and it is spreading very fast in my area.  Word travels fast in the old-guy car network of so and so knows so and so.

Massive burdens had been placed on heirs, from these huge piles of mixed up parts,and nothing is tagged...

The older guys had older cars, and popularity and interest may still be there, but usually to older guys who have too many already.

Be in the right place at the right time, and you can end up with a very special car that most won't touch, if apart or not close to running.

..sadly nobody in my area, wants a project old car.  The estate I work for put two 47 48 Ply convertibles out for sale, C/L and Hamb..they were rough but savable and came with a LOT of spares including NOS accessories like lighted hood ornament, bumper gaurds, entire chrome piece on the center f dash,....nobody wanted the pair at 2900 for everything...they finally went for a lowball of 2k

maybe it's a problem of spoiled people?  wanting a car that needs no work at all, so they buy a nice Taurus that has no collector value, or hobby following, and never will... IMO

The mindset has changed though to.  Guys are realizing that unless they are really in love with a particular car,  you can borrow the money up front to buy a better turn key cart,  dump alot more into that project than one of those other turn key cars are and be driving it tomorrow.   We all know it's easy to dump 40 plus thousand into a car that is only worth 20,000 or like model could be bought turn key today for 20,000 that already had the other guy dump 40 G into it.   I had a pretty nice little 48 Plymouth rag top with nice correct interior and top, almost all new chrome and a bunch of nice period accessories.  A ton of mechanical refurbishment done all new tires and brakes,  on the road reliably running and driving with everything working the way it should.  It needed paint but was a pretty nice body.   I struggled for a long time selling it and finally gave into a cash in hand offer of 14,500.  That was below my rock bottom firm price of 15,000.    47-48 Plymouth ragtops seem to fall flat on their face,  no matter how nice they are at 20G.