Making the AACA More Appealing to Young People

I wouldn't push going main stream too much.  I don't think it needs to become the Car club of America.  We still need to promote the old stuff enthusiastically.  I'm sure there are plenty of old car interest in the older stuff,  you just don't see it very much in alot of areas.  I used to remember seeing rows of Model A's at car shows.  Seems now there are 3 or 4 at best.  People still need to know what the older cars are and not think that production of the Auto started in 1980.  

I was recently pursuing a '16 Cadillac that just kind of fizzled out eventually.  I'll be 43 Monday still fine tuning my 47 Hudson with a 36 Cord phaeton in the corner waiting patiently.  I have a tab for a search for a Saturn sky Redline at the top of my screen right now.  I'm not going to buy one so I can be part of a club.  I don't expect the club to change so I can feel accepted to drive my car on a show field.  I just like them and figure some day if the right deal came along I might pick one up.  I won't be taking it to shows.  I just want one to drive once in a while.  Just like my other old cars. 

Time to get to work to try to make a few more bucks to add to the kitty.   We can complain about not having enough money or find a way to go make some more.   I choose the later. 

Plyroadking has a very good point. What 30-40 year old has the time to spend at a show all weekend or a monthly meeting too hear a bunch of us old farts talk about the old days.  Hell I don't do that and I love to work on these cars. Even now I would rather drive it than just sit in front of it after walking around seeing a bunch of other old guys/gals sitting in front of their cars. The younger generation doesn't relate to our memories and wants. I went to a cruise in a few saturdays ago 9-11 am and a cruise lunch afterwards. I was wearing my AACA hat and a couple of guys talked to me about putting the Studebaker in the concours survivor class (do not know the official code!) that started a few years ago, they thought it would do well. It is all original (except the interior seat material- they did not know that was changed at the time. I asked them if they saw the cars entered into that class the previous year? Remember mine is a driver - almost daily (lucky me). Neither had, so I assured them mine would be considered right out of the barn with nothing done to it compared to most (not all) of the cars in the class. The cruise in had about 200+ cars from a 'T' too Ferrari's. About 15 - 20 went to lunch, most in the muscle car group. The beauty was no pressure, some stayed the whole time others left early. A lot of people that did not have a car stopped to walk around. 

I'm a member to support the hobby, help someone if I can with my limited knowledge, learn something (even at my age I still know I don't know everything - yet) and have fun. It's a ball to pull into a gas station or grocery store lot and talk to the people that come up to see the old car. I even tell the kids it's ok to get in back and pet the pups (my go every where buddies). 

I don't have an answer but it may help to take a good long look at the perception of a "classic" car show before you decide what to change or do 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

People still need to know what the older cars are and not think that production of the Auto started in 1980.  

I was recently pursuing a '16 Cadillac that just kind of fizzled out eventually.  I'll be 43 Monday still fine tuning my 47 Hudson with a 36 Cord phaeton in the corner waiting patiently.  I have a tab for a search for a Saturn sky Redline at the top of my screen right now.  I'm not going to buy one so I can be part of a club.

Not to be argumentative but that is exactly the mentality I was talking about when trying to attract younger people to the AACA. You seem to be ignoring or overlooking the fact that '80s cars, including my '88 Reatta, ARE antiques and they should be accepted as such by this club. At 43 (I don't consider that young) you may not care anything about '80s model cars but people in than their 20s and 30s may relate to an '80s antique car better than to something their grandfather wanted to own.

"I think owner participation is the key - not sitting behind a static car all day."

Back in the '70s and '80s I remember some kind of car event every weekend and few were static. Autocrosses ( or Gymkhanas) and Rallys dominated (heard of a blindfold autocross, never participated in one), cruises, and the occasional fuel economy run.

Today events are static and cater to different groups (but mostly hoards of Mustangs).

Central Florida (at least Tampa to Orlando and north through the Villiages) has a rep of being "God's waiting room" and interesting cars often surface.

I also have an 88 Reatta and kids are fascinated by the 6.5" CRT/Touchscreen in the dash. Can do everything (gauges, diagnostics, HVAC, entertainment) & was easy to add HandsFree (bag phone was an option).

Bottom line, back then there was not a lot else to do, now kids are wired into everything.

Just some thoughts

I know there are clubs for pretty much every type of car out there.   You aren't going to pull in every member of those clubs.  Most join this club,  probably like i did,  because I like a variety of old cars from all generations especially odd balls and older stuff.  This was the best general club with broadest interest.   I just don't have time to check the Hudson club, The Early Vette Club, the ACD site, and all the other probably hundreds if not more sites I would have to check to get a good cross section of the hobby.

As it is I rarely get past the Buy sell and General Discussion page to scroll further down.  

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem wasn't the number of interested members as the total number of Sites and clubs available.   Thus watering down the membership numbers. 

I do to like the more informal come and go car shows more like cruise ins.  I could care less about trophies and if possible never wait around for the awards ceremony.   I wonder if some shows have faded because of the shrinking Swap meets as well.  I used to remember say 20 years ago where every show with 200 or more cars seemed to have a little swap meet that actually sold old parts and not T shirts or die Cast models.  

I have to say I don't drive my cars too much as I spend alot of time on my online business and the rest of the time fixing them up.  About the time I get them all set and on the road,  I start the hunt for another to do the same so down the road it goes to free up funds for the next. 

21 hours ago, vermontboy said:

holding a spoon with an egg on it out the window. Backing through an obstacle course.

Yeah, They are still doing that coming back from the salad bar. Seems like a lot of the events focus on food. Drive the modern car to a restaurant and eat.

I went to a breakfast buffet with a club on a rainy day this spring. One of the octogenarians spouted out "Free trip to (somewhere) to anyone who drove an old car." I said "I drove a 1994 Chevy Impala. "Arrrgh! That's NOT an old car." He answered. I replied that it was insured on the policy with my other old cars. "That doesn't matter. They insure anything." I can tell you that I am not 20 or 30 years old and not new to the hobby, but if I was, as now, one thing doesn't matter and that's for sure, that old guy's opinion to me.

Stereotypes from my youth, they didn't materialize from a vision in the night.

Bernie

15 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Need to be under 18 and we all could throw in a dollar.......................

Copper wire was first formed by two old car owners pulling on a penny. You want a whole buck!

Whew! That's going to keep me smiling all day.

The Cadillac Club members are pretty good about spending, contributions, and tips. The rest, tighter than a second generation Danish dairy farmer. Personal experience over 50 years.

Bernie

(and married the farmer's daughter)

Bernie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Plenty of graduates, especially if they worked hard at a

well-reputed college and earned a degree related to engineering

and science, can find good jobs with good pay.  

Did you say College?  Yes, I thought you did.  How many mechanics, body & fender men, military enlistees, do you know who went to college?  How many guys who went to college and are also young want to turn wrenches (yes, a few, as I know a doctor locally who does it on Sundays...I asked him once how he gets his hands clean for Monday?) but it is a very few.  Many, many of the young people, meaning under 30 or 35 even, are high school graduates.  At best a few went to tech school.  But they didn't to to college to turn wrenches or pound metal in a body shop.  Yes, that is a generalization.  And Pal, they aren't making $80-100K a year.  Let's get off that high horse.  I never went to college and I maxed out at $53K with the Federal Government.  Of course that was a little over 20 years ago, but I worked there 37 years to get that high.  College grads are more into computers, cellphone tech and technological stuff, or that's my take, not messing with greasy old cars.  I do suppose many in their 40s or 50s or 60s turn to an old car for fun, but not 20s and 30s.  Again that is a generalization.  I think I'm going to bail out of the conversation I've already had too many posts and too much to say.  I think I just had a nerve touched, wouldn't you say?

The AACA has a new Greenhorn Region, and it's 

supposed to be non-geographical.  But where are

its activities centered?  (I think it's in New Jersey.)

Can anyone tell more about it?

I believe it's for "younger"-than-average car fans,

age 40 or less.  That's not exactly youth, but it could be

different, age-wise, from most AACA regions.

Back in the 1950's, I suspect that that was a typical AACA region.

What kinds of fun activities do they do that may differ from

other clubs'?  Is this chapter growing and succeeding?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Don't go away Dynaflash, you are mostly right on the money with your discussion.

But, if you want to find cars (any cars) for sale in Virginia, start using Craigslist! They "ALL" seem to be advertised there.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=Buick&sort=rel

Notice I just typed in Buick and even a 1923 Buick is on the first page. First page of 120!:o

Might want to add more description to the search. Easy peasy. 

I have been entertained by this topic (my Wife says I am not supposed to be like that). I have a recurring image stuck in my head when I think about it.

Blind_men_and_elephant06d.jpg

Fading organizations have always been faced with declining memberships. I was in the VFW around 1985. All the old guys bemoaned the lack of new members. There was a movement about to form a group, the sons and daughters of the VFW. I had one of each and had no desire for either of them aspire to membership. The old guys didn't like that, but they didn't really accept me, I wasn't as real as they, but they needed someone. Well, we managed to get a few qualified over the last couple of decades anyway.. Things just have a way of working out naturally.

Along the same vein, how about the use of the term Prewar and postwar car? I can see a 25 year old sincerely asking what that means. I'm just sitting here shaking my head thinking about the answer.

I read a lot. I think my reading habits are a lot like my take on the car hobby.. I will start reading a book by an author and recognize that we think a lot alike. I can hardly put that book down. Then I find a book and can tell the writer doesn't have the insight I do. Books written by jerks like that hardly ever get finished. It is just something about their style.

I keep this browser open while I work, better than a smoke break. It is 2 PM, Friday, I'm done for the week. Heading for the garage.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have been entertained by this topic (my Wife says I am not supposed to be like that). I have a recurring image stuck in my head when I think about it.

Blind_men_and_elephant06d.jpg

Fading organizations have always been faced with declining memberships. I was in the VFW around 1985. All the old guys bemoaned the lack of new members. There was a movement about to form a group, the sons and daughters of the VFW. I had one of each and had no desire for either of them aspire to membership. The old guys didn't like that, but they didn't really accept me, I wasn't as real as they, but they needed someone. Well, we managed to get a few qualified over the last couple of decades anyway.. Things just have a way of working out naturally.

Things do change with time. When I came home in 1975 the local VFW didn't want me, or my kind. We weren't "real" "Foreign War" Veterans. Now we are. Cars from the 60's 70's and 80's might not get the same respect from the generation that created the Baby Boom, but when that generation is gone to the great beyond, the Boomers will still accept and respect their cars and the ones that preserved and restored them.

Edited by Digger914 (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Don't go away Dynaflash, you are mostly right on the money with your discussion.

But, if you want to find cars (any cars) for sale in Virginia, start using Craigslist! They "ALL" seem to be advertised there.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=Buick&sort=rel

Notice I just typed in Buick and even a 1923 Buick is on the first page. First page of 120!:o

Might want to add more description to the search. Easy peasy. 

Thanks Frank.  I've never known how to use Craigslist although I see other guys doing it.  I found a decent 1993 Park Avenue in Mechanicsville, just up the road and a '93 parts car in Warsaw.  That last is amazing, nothing around here just riding around and looking.

• 2 years later...

I am just looking at this post for the first time. I taught kids for 35-40 years,  ages 5 to 12 -  art. If you want to get younger people interested then it takes some effort and possibly some kindness and understanding plus patience and time. A way I would achieve interest in older cars by younger people is by talking to them. Let them know that the old guy or gal who has an old car isn't going to give them the evil eye thinking they are going to touch your car and leave a finger print on it. Perhaps some members or even a region can get several people ( perhaps 3 or more) to take their cars of assorted era and body styles to an area so maybe both boy and girl scouts can feel a little more at ease since you brought the car to them to see ( cuts down the fear/intimidation/do not touch factor)   Kids like to ask questions and you will also be answering them for their parents who will no doubt be listening intently. If possible show them the interior, trunk , engine - and maybe for a brief moment let one at a time carefully sit in it - just don't get a group of 100 kids at the same time! This will cast a lasting memory of that old car in their minds for the rest of their life. You have plated a seed in their mind that old cars are really cool. Of course if you let one sit in your car one at a time it doesn't have to be in all of the seats ( rumble seat car owners don't let them try to climb up and in then fall over and out) and explain how to enter and exit.

It is like trying to enjoy a painting - it is something you have to actually see and perhaps have explained in a soft voice and not just have someone tell you about - cars are the same. In order to get some interest you have to generate it - just like some of the posts here , put something in that makes someone curious and you have an audience - I did that with less then half a dozen period photographs and got thousands of views - So  let the kids view your cars under supervision in a friendly manner. 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reportedly progressive teacher course guidelines are to teach young students in their charge that I.C. engines in particular and cars in general are detrimental to planetary health and must be reduced to the extent possible. Just saying.........bov

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Reportedly progressive teacher course guidelines are to teach young students in their charge that I.C. engines in particular and cars in general are detrimental to planetary health and must be reduced to the extent possible. Just saying.........bov

Please give a source, my quick search has turned up nothing on this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I said "reportedly" as in "what I have heard". Definative source? No. Do I doubt it's veracity? Depending on the section of the country, maybe yes, maybe no.

Do I think the current education "system" is extolling the benefits bestowed by carbon based fuel? What do you think?

Google: Climate change in education.

Let me know of all the citations, curricula, or lesson plans referencing carbon fuel benefits over "renewable" sources and how that is communicated to impressionable young minds.

Sound of crickets?.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Now if they would have shut all the lights off while they were laying on the floor,  it might have meant a little something. Cutting class so we have to keep the building open longer for a makeup class is going to have a negative effect on climate change. 

Were they all wearing all natural wool clothes manufactured in an eco friendly facility.  Little things will do more than publicity stunts that actually take more energy than they save.  Kind of like protesting and blocking a road,  so all the cars have to sit and idle,  instead of getting to where they are going.  Police have to use fuel to monitor the event and get to and from it for crowd control. All the signs also took resources and energy to produce. 

Looks like a big plastic eco friendly banner in the back ground as well.   Bunch of waisted dust/ surgical masks to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Now if they would have shut all the lights off while they were laying on the floor,  it might have meant a little something. Cutting class so we have to keep the building open longer for a makeup class is going to have a negative effect on climate change. 

Were they all wearing all natural wool clothes manufactured in an eco friendly facility.  Little things will do more than publicity stunts that actually take more energy than they save.  Kind of like protesting and blocking a road,  so all the cars have to sit and idle,  instead of getting to where they are going.  Police have to use fuel to monitor the event and get to and from it for crowd control. All the signs also took resources and energy to produce. 

Looks like a big plastic eco friendly banner in the back ground as well.   Bunch of waisted dust/ surgical masks to. 

All common sense and logic.

We'll have none of THAT around here.

Better we sit and listen to a barely pubescent young girl strutting and shrieking  "the sky is falling" while we all nod in solemn agreement with the wisdom that comes only with age and experiance. .................................SHEESH!.................Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2017 at 9:33 PM, LINC400 said:

Older members calling 1970's and later cars "used junk" does not endear them to younger members. I have seen it countless times on this forum, and also heard it many times in person. Not everyone shares your opinion. I may or may not be interested in your prewar car, but at least I don't call it old junk.

THIS! This is the #1 problem. 

I've been into cars my entire life...I literally cannot remember a time before I was obsessed with cars. I have photographic evidence that I was already obsessed by the time I turned 2 years old...which was October 1986. I used to be one of those people who only cared about pre-1972 cars. Then, the post-1972 cars I grew up with disappeared. Cars I used to view as basically nothing, now when I see one rarely, took me back to when I was young. When I was not beset by numerous health problems, when my family was still alive and healthy. Nostalgia is the driving factor in this hobby, and most hobbies. People my age grew up with 70s, 80s and early 90s cars, that's what our nostalgia brings us to. 

Yet, tell someone you are a fan of these cars, and you get flack. I once commented on the AACA Facebook page that I hoped to own a 1973-77 El Camino some day, and I was beset with several insults...so much so that I didn't even look at that forum for over a year. I eventually only went back when I decided I was missing out on too many car photos, so I decided to just block anyone who was an idiot towards me. And God forbid you are a fan of anything post 2000...I am...you will surely hear crap like "they all look alike". No, they do NOT all look alike, you just don't care to learn what they are. 

My health problems manifested when I was in the 6th grade. By then I had already built a collection of diecast cars that would eventually grow to be larger than the one listed in the Guinness Book of World Records...I stopped counting at 10,000. So, what do I see on a GTO forum but a post where somebody was proud of his collection of scale GTOs, but multiple people attacking him, with one comment in particular standing out to me: "if you hadn't wasted that much money on toys, you could have had a real GTO". We never found out of the guy did have a GTO or any other classic car, because I believe he left the group...I don't blame him. 30+ comments attacking and belittling him would do that to anybody. 

Unfortunately my health problems prevent me from driving. (I can't see well enough) Yet, I've dreamed of owning a classic car my entire life. Somewhere around here I probably still have the handwritten list of the cars I was going to own someday, that I wrote in 7th grade. I have not been able to make that happen, with any of them, due to the health problems I mention. 

I have to be honest, I have not joined the AACA yet. I didn't even visit the website, because of the negative reaction I've seen, and had directed towards me. I decided that I needed to gain more information, so I visited the website a few months back...saw there was a forum and joined up. The pre-war bias was apparent immediately, but, that didn't drive me off...that's where I have the least amount of knowledge so I'm taking it as an opportunity to learn. Perhaps, if I hadn't seen so much bad behavior towards other car enthusiasts, I might have joined up sooner and seen this post when it went around 2 years ago. (I do plan to join in 2020)

I have a 1994 Jeep, that was my mom's daily driver from 2003-2015 when it died. I tried so hard to keep it going because Rhinebeck has a 25 year limit and it would have been eligible this year. I could have taken part in a car show for the first time in my life, a true dream to me. I didn't even go to the show this year, due to the fact that it was pouring rain, and I couldn't do the walking involved after going to a model car show the day before and touring a bit of Long Island on foot. I know...know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I would have been insulted for entering my 1994 Jeep. And I don't care. Because I love all old cars, and new cars, too. 

I do not understand the vitriol espoused towards newer cars on this forum...Yes, I understand that it's a focus group for old cars. But the new cars are going to be old in a matter of time. Why would you not want to learn about them, and experience them, when they are common? I just can't grasp that...it's how I used to feel, and now, that I'm a better "car guy" then I was then, I don't know what I was thinking. I also grew up mostly as a hot rod guy. I know the exact moment I became a factory stock guy. It was at the Goodguys show in 2005 or 2006. I was walking the show field, and saw a Terraplane that had some rather unpleasant things done to it. It was right then, right there on the field- I even remember where it was parked!- that my allegiance switched from hot rod to factory stock. (I still attend hot rod shows, and I still won't rule out owning one someday...I wouldn't do it myself, but if somebody else had already, then maybe, but it would have to be something really special and not too far changed- IE, no chops, no trim removal)

I don't know if I will ever be able to own an old car. I cannot drive it, but my brother has said he would. My mom has finally warmed up to the idea. For the entire time, even the brief time I could drive, whenever I talked about getting an old car, she always said that "you don't need an old car", and that's something that has caused some hard feelings on my part...and it's odd because my mom is who got me into cars, and who has taken me to car shows since I was in a stroller. And not just local shows- we've driven cross-country to visit the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum, and the Studebaker National Museum. 

I recently started a thread discussing my desire to own a classic car- lower case c- and people couldn't wait to start being "holier-than-thou" with their made up classifications. That is a big turn-off, for most people it might have driven them away. I'm tougher to get rid of than that. 

The sad thing is that the cars I want are available for under $10,000. I sure would love to get something from the WWI era, but I know that's not realistic. I got to go for a ride in a Model T this past May, for the first time, and now something that seemed totally unknown to me is on my list of cars I want to own someday. I lost out on a 76 El Camino and a 58 Edsel for $6000 and $8000 respectively earlier this year, and a 1950 Pontiac for $5000 at Rhinebeck in 2014 still haunts me. (my top 3 most wanted) Due to the medicine that keeps me alive, I couldn't afford them. Saving for something isn't really feasible- most goes to medicine or food, the rest I tend to spend on one of my many hobbies. (and that includes hotels for the larger car shows) To get a car would mean giving up my other three hobbies totally for a year or two. I have not been able to do that. Also, I have already come literally 5 minutes away from dying...if I miscalculate on my medicine, I won't see tomorrow. So I tend to be of the mindset that saving for the future is a fool's errand when I possibly don't have much of a future. (Although I intend to- I'm in much better health, even though still bad, then I was in 2013!) 

Back when I was in 9th grade, when I thought  I would be able to drive and my dad, who was a lifelong mechanic, was still alive, I began to look for a car. I remember my parents telling me that I needed to do the calling, and I remember calling a number based in Peekskill about a 1977 El Camino that was in the newspaper. They said the car had been sold already, but I've always wondered if they just wouldn't sell it to me due to my obvious young age. My life would have been so much better if I had gotten that El Camino then. The age bias in the hobby is very real. And I will always wonder if it bit me then.

Another topic, that perhaps fits in this, is that when I go to car shows, which I do often, most of the time the owners don't really speak to me all that much. Even when it's a weekly show and they see me there every week...when I am by myself people are more likely to talk. When my brother is there with me, hardly anyone. Since I started my Facebook automotive photography page in 2017, I've had a lot more conversations, usually from people who have commented on my photography. 

One of the happiest moments of my automotive photography career came earlier in 2019. I shot a car show at a retirement home, and one of the car owners, a young lady about my age, made my photo of her 1990 Camaro her cover photo on Facebook, and thanked me for shooting her car. That was, in turn, the first time someone had thanked me for getting their car, and it made my day. Would a 1990 Camaro be welcomed, and celebrated, on here? I doubt the answer is yes. 

My life feels incomplete, and I know what's missing...it's an old car. And that feeling has been ever-present since I was in my early 20s. Sure, I want it to be one of the three I mentioned that I missed out. But I could be very happy with any 1950s car. (My favorite decade of cars) I want to go to car shows. I want to sit in a folding chair, and chat about it with anyone that wants to talk about it. I love the car show atmosphere, the sights, sounds (both of engines and the music) and the smells, of cars and fair food. I don't even have to drive them. Just being able to look at them whenever I wanted would be enough for me. My own personal car show, I could be so happy.

Currently, after I see everything about a show, I leave...sometimes I sit and wait hoping another car will show up. I've even been known to sit in the grass at shows because I've exhausted my stamina and can't get back to the parking lot just yet. I try and photograph every car at every show, whether it fits my style or not. Classic or modern, American or not. I try and get them all. I'm not always able to, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2017 at 7:19 PM, F&J said:

Funny that those kids are looking at the T and not the Buick....yes, I know the T is likely idling....but still..

Notice the Model T owner is explaining the Model T to the young spectators.  We should all do that!

When I bought my first car to restore, it was 38 years old and I was only 27.   When I joined the local club

I was the youngest guy, now at 74 it's almost still true.   I've always liked the tag line:  "I don't care what

the DMV says, if it's not older than me, it's not an antique."

• Like 1

Billy K-  Go for it my friend, whatever car you like and can afford and as old or new as fits your liking.  There is no bad/wrong choice as long as you like it.  Don’t mind the naysayers.  I’m like you in that I cannot drive with the exception that I could for many years and in the process was able to buy what I liked.  Now I have the memories of those days and I hope you can too in your lifetime.  I had several 1970s cars and trucks back when they were new.  Some were good, others, well they would not be at the top of my wish list to own again.  My 1973 Chevelle SS is one that sure heads up the list of less than desirable from the issues I had with it (rust).  Still, if I saw one at a show I’d definitely stop and take a look.  Hope you get to fulfill your dream!

• Thanks 1

Billy , I like lots of old cars but I consider the 1973 - 1977 El Camino's to be overlooked gems. Very handy for Swap Meets, parts pick up and lighter duty towing. Reasonable in price to buy and operate. What more could a thrifty old car guy want ?

Just as useful as a 1968 - 1972 at a fraction of the price. I have tempted to buy one a few times but still have a 1966 Mercury { Canadian  market} 1/2 ton I bought 30 years or so ago for $175.00. It's pretty primitive and many times I have thought a El Camino 

would be better in an all round role although I would give up a bit of towing capacity.

Greg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

I am just looking at this post for the first time. I taught kids for 35-40 years,  ages 5 to 12 -  art. If you want to get younger people interested then it takes some effort and possibly some kindness and understanding plus patience and time. A way I would achieve interest in older cars by younger people is by talking to them. Let them know that the old guy or gal who has an old car isn't going to give them the evil eye thinking they are going to touch your car and leave a finger print on it. Perhaps some members or even a region can get several people ( perhaps 3 or more) to take their cars of assorted era and body styles to an area so maybe both boy and girl scouts can feel a little more at ease since you brought the car to them to see ( cuts down the fear/intimidation/do not touch factor)   Kids like to ask questions and you will also be answering them for their parents who will no doubt be listening intently. If possible show them the interior, trunk , engine - and maybe for a brief moment let one at a time carefully sit in it - just don't get a group of 100 kids at the same time! This will cast a lasting memory of that old car in their minds for the rest of their life. You have plated a seed in their mind that old cars are really cool. Of course if you let one sit in your car one at a time it doesn't have to be in all of the seats ( rumble seat car owners don't let them try to climb up and in then fall over and out) and explain how to enter and exit.

It is like trying to enjoy a painting - it is something you have to actually see and perhaps have explained in a soft voice and not just have someone tell you about - cars are the same. In order to get some interest you have to generate it - just like some of the posts here , put something in that makes someone curious and you have an audience - I did that with less then half a dozen period photographs and got thousands of views - So  let the kids view your cars under supervision in a friendly manner. 😄

I think Walt is right. There is a young fellow, with a young family, who recently moved  on my block. He owns a 1928 Model A, and a 1960 Ford dual wheel flat bed. One day, I went over introduced myself, complimented him on his car and truck, and had a nice afternoon chat. I brought him over few of issues of Hemmings, and became fast friends. You have to bring them into the fold. It is that simple.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

4 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I said "reportedly" as in "what I have heard". Definative source? No. Do I doubt it's veracity? Depending on the section of the country, maybe yes, maybe no.

Do I think the current education "system" is extolling the benefits bestowed by carbon based fuel? What do you think?

Google: Climate change in education.

Let me know of all the citations, curricula, or lesson plans referencing carbon fuel benefits over "renewable" sources and how that is communicated to impressionable young minds.

Sound of crickets?.............Bob

Really Bob.... "as what I heard"  is not reportedly  it is what some people like to use the term fake news, I'm a straight shooter so i prefer to say "what I heard" is a B.S. excuse to cover up some B.S. story...... just saying 

4 hours ago, ply33 said:

Please give a source, my quick search has turned up nothing on this.

Same here! 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

If it was "reported" in the NYT's or WSJ and I repeated it I could correctly say either "I heard" or "reportedly". In either case it's anecdotal and was stated as such right from the get go.

As an aside, I don't take as gospel anything I read in either the NYT's or the WSJ and neither should anyone else.... Really.......Just sayin.....Bob

46 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

If it was "reported" in the NYT's or WSJ and I repeated it I could correctly say either "I heard" or "reportedly". In either case it's anecdotal and was stated as such right from the get go.

As an aside, I don't take as gospel anything I read in either the NYT's or the WSJ and neither should anyone else.... Really.......Just sayin.....Bob

Bob,  at least two newspapers have more credible sources and have to be held accountable for them then saying "I heard" 

A perfect example of this would be, 

I could say reportedly a certain club charges to park trailers to keep a certain people from attending their meets knowing that certain people would not attend because of that charge. My source of "I just heard it from someone" would not be acceptable. 

Is it true.... no... but it could support some false BS narrative.....

to say everyone else is false as well is just a poor attempt justify a false narrative

just saying 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

Billy K-  Go for it my friend, whatever car you like and can afford and as old or new as fits your liking.  There is no bad/wrong choice as long as you like it.  Don’t mind the naysayers.  I’m like you in that I cannot drive with the exception that I could for many years and in the process was able to buy what I liked.  Now I have the memories of those days and I hope you can too in your lifetime.  I had several 1970s cars and trucks back when they were new.  Some were good, others, well they would not be at the top of my wish list to own again.  My 1973 Chevelle SS is one that sure heads up the list of less than desirable from the issues I had with it (rust).  Still, if I saw one at a show I’d definitely stop and take a look.  Hope you get to fulfill your dream!

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

Billy , I like lots of old cars but I consider the 1973 - 1977 El Camino's to be overlooked gems. Very handy for Swap Meets, parts pick up and lighter duty towing. Reasonable in price to buy and operate. What more could a thrifty old car guy want ?

Just as useful as a 1968 - 1972 at a fraction of the price. I have tempted to buy one a few times but still have a 1966 Mercury { Canadian  market} 1/2 ton I bought 30 years or so ago for $175.00. It's pretty primitive and many times I have thought a El Camino 

would be better in an all round role although I would give up a bit of towing capacity.

Greg

I hope to make that dream come true in 2020 or 2021 at the latest. I have the opportunity to do something else I've always wanted to do in 2020 and plan to take that opportunity when I can...unfortunately its's almost entirely a spending event. Then it's saving for the car time!

One thing I neglected to mention in my previous post, if I ever do build a hot rod, it will almost surely be built using one of the reproduction 30s Ford bodies. I'm pretty sure you can build an entire car via the aftermarket. I would not feel any twinge of guilt starting from a fresh canvas.  

Those are sweet, but from what I have seen locally much more expensive than the next bodystyle newer. Usually at least double , often triple. Expensive enough I wouldn't use one as a light duty truck / utility vehicle. They are fringe " muscle car era " favorites and have 

gone way up in value on the coattails of  SS Chevelle's. 

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)