Restoring my 65 rivi

Guest Mariorivi

Guest Mariorivi

Hey guys I live in Miami,fl I will need as much info to help me restoring my rivi,I'm confused on how to restoring it,should I put it back to factory or do what I want with it,it needs couple metal work but I'm going to redo all metal work,the engine that's another story,should I rebuild it to factory or customize it,its a matching number car even the tranny,its a lot to do but I don't know the direction,I will need as much info and experience to build it

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

Welcome to the Forum Mario. Your question is difficult to answer because we don't know what you really want in a car.  Are you asking if this particular car is so rare that a complete restoration will result in a highly marketable vehicle with a huge profit margin?  

Guest Mariorivi
2 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Welcome to the Forum Mario. Your question is difficult to answer because we don't know what you really want in a car.  Are you asking if this particular car is so rare that a complete restoration will result in a highly marketable vehicle with a huge profit margin?  

Yes that's what I'm really trying to figure out,because it has couple options that I never saw on other rivi,like it has side makers, and it doesn't have the back fender side trim, and the ac system should I modernize it or put it back stock

30 minutes ago, Mariorivi said:

Yes that's what I'm really trying to figure out,because it has couple options that I never saw on other rivi,like it has side makers, and it doesn't have the back fender side trim, and the ac system should I modernize it or put it back stock

The side marker lights were added by a previous owner; no '65's came with them.  When you say "back fender side trim" are you talking about the ribbed rocker panels that are between the wheel arches?  If so, that trim did not go back to the fender, it was just between the wheel arches.  To me it looks as if you have a pretty basic '65 Riviera.  Things that would make it more rare are things like the four note horn option, the rear seat "pop up" arm rest, and power vent windows.  I don't know if the guidematic auto dimmer was available in '65 nor do I know if the twilight sentinel was available in '65.  Posi trac rear end, Super Wildcat engine (two four barrel carbs), H2 handling package, and things like this would give it some rarity but there's really nothing out there that's "totally unique" to just a few Rivieras from the factories.  Because there is nothing in Flint in the way of paperwork on these cars, options like I mentioned are hard to prove that they came from the factory.  They were options from the factory and people through the years have "optioned" their cars with what they can find.  (The side markers were not factory or 'Buick Authorized' dealer installed options.

A/C is your choice.  If you want to keep as much as original as possible then keeping the OE system is a wise choice.  If you don't want the hassles of dealing with an old system (R12 and people who can work on it,) then Vintage Air or Classic Air with R-124 and Sanden style compressors, and modern controls is probably the way to go.  Just my opinion

Ed

If it's your first restoration, you are probably better off handing the engine over to an experienced machine shop and the transmission to a good transmission shop.  You might consider internal upgrades that will make it more reliable & last longer, but keeping it essentially stock will save you tons of headaches.  Simple upgrades like a pointsless ignition or TBI can be done at any time, but things like forged pistons and roller valvetrain should be considered up front.  Which way to go depends on how you plan to drive it...

Guest Mariorivi
3 hours ago, RivNut said:

The side marker lights were added by a previous owner; no '65's came with them.  When you say "back fender side trim" are you talking about the ribbed rocker panels that are between the wheel arches?  If so, that trim did not go back to the fender, it was just between the wheel arches.  To me it looks as if you have a pretty basic '65 Riviera.  Things that would make it more rare are things like the four note horn option, the rear seat "pop up" arm rest, and power vent windows.  I don't know if the guidematic auto dimmer was available in '65 nor do I know if the twilight sentinel was available in '65.  Posi trac rear end, Super Wildcat engine (two four barrel carbs), H2 handling package, and things like this would give it some rarity but there's really nothing out there that's "totally unique" to just a few Rivieras from the factories.  Because there is nothing in Flint in the way of paperwork on these cars, options like I mentioned are hard to prove that they came from the factory.  They were options from the factory and people through the years have "optioned" their cars with what they can find.  (The side markers were not factory or 'Buick Authorized' dealer installed options.

A/C is your choice.  If you want to keep as much as original as possible then keeping the OE system is a wise choice.  If you don't want the hassles of dealing with an old system (R12 and people who can work on it,) then Vintage Air or Classic Air with R-124 and Sanden style compressors, and modern controls is probably the way to go.  Just my opinion

Ed

Thanks for the good info,you are a very knowledgeable man.so basically from what you can see  it's not that kind of car to restoring back to factory spec to keep for 10 more years to get $60,000-70,000 for it,or if I up date the tranny to a 5 speed,upgrade suspension,drive shaft,rear end,engine,upgrade to boarding the mother with a bigger cam,rods,pistons and so forth,what's your opinion "

3 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

If it's your first restoration, you are probably better off handing the engine over to an experienced machine shop and the transmission to a good transmission shop.  You might consider internal upgrades that will make it more reliable & last longer, but keeping it essentially stock will save you tons of headaches.  Simple upgrades like a pointsless ignition or TBI can be done at any time, but things like forged pistons and roller valvetrain should be considered up front.  Which way to go depends on how you plan to drive it...

Restoration, restorod, restification, modified, tweaked.  It's your car, your choice, and your money.  That's my opinion in a nutshell. If you're considering a 5 speed manual transmission, you're way out of my league. I know of no one who's done one.

Ed

Mario, if you are referring to the back fender side trim are you talking about the faux scoops ahead of the rear wheel well?  If so, they are a 63-64 item and were removed on the 65's.  Just an FYI, If your steering wheel is original to the car and I believe it is, the horn bar indicates that it was made earlier in the production cycle.  The two chrome spear inlays on the left and right side of the horn bar would indicate this.  They were removed later in the production cycle.  Side marker lights were mandated by the Feds beginning with the 1968 model year.  Good luck with your project!

Edited by Pat Curran
Added content. (see edit history)

Since nobody else is willing to say it, I feel it necessary to point out that this is a "parts car"

not a restoration candidate. It is completely disassembled with everything in very poor condition and I know Mario

doesn't know how it goes back together ......I wouldn't know and I've been  in the car repair business for 41 years.

Just the cost of interior restoration would exceed the cost of a nice finished car.  Mario, I know you paid almost nothing for this car....

part it out and take the proceeds and buy yourself a decent Riviera if that's the car you desire. There should be quite a bit of profit in parting it out. If you take on this project it will be a bottomless money hole that probably will never get finished. The old saying

that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear applies here. This would only make sense if it was a numbers matching Gran Sport

or Bill Mitchell's personal driver.

• Like 2

Just as a point of reference   I rebuilt my car frame off replacing every rubber piece, all interior, suspension. Rebuilt engine and trans all body work done by me which saved me thousands  I still spent $20k in parts and I could have spent a lot more.  Had I outsourced this work it would have easily hit 50+.   Having not seen your car be ready especially if you have rust

I`m into year eight of my resurrection , I paid a little over $3000 (US) for mine and it was in boxes.

The main reason I bought it was the Nailhead and trans. I know the rebuilder personally. All the bodywork and paint was completed by myself My son is a metal fabricator and did the rust repairs. I did not go into this to make money and keep my eye on the bottom line . If you have to farm out the work , the costs will go through the roof. When I saw your photos , I kinda cringed, knowing the amount of hours you have ahead of you. If you love these cars as I do it`s not about making money but I`m not into losing my shirt on my hobby either  . Check out the cost of rebuilding a Nailhead and a Super turbine 400 It may shock you. Good luck with your project which ever way you go.  

IF you're truly set on restoring this, I'd offer some advice. 1 - Do not get into a hurry. 2 - take the time and spend some money (a lot less in the long run) to take some classes and learn how to weld, fabricate metal, and some other skills that go into restoration.  If your local community college doesn't offer something, you might consider something like the summer sessions offered at a school that has a program in auto restoration.

McPherson College, McPherson, KS  http://www.mcpherson.edu/autorestoration offers a four year degree in this.

Plus they offer week long courses during the summer.  

http://www.mcpherson.edu/autorestoration/institute/ 

Jay Leno and Wayne Carini serve on the board for the program.

http://www.mcpherson.edu/2014/11/leno-and-carini

Ed

• Like 2

Guest Mariorivi

Guys I know its not going to be a over night project,it will take at least 2 years and I know that,I bought the car completely together,I disassembled it my self and documented everything,my uncle and I will be doing the body work, the body has 20% rust on it,after I oxy blast I will see what I have to work with,I need a mother guy in Miami any recommendations ?

Guest Mariorivi

Guys I know its not going to be a over night project,it will take at least 2 years and I know that,I bought the car completely together,I disassembled it my self and documented everything,my uncle and I will be doing the body work, the body has 20% rust on it,after I oxy blast I will see what I have to work with,I need a mother guy in Miami any recommendations ?

7 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

I'm an hour south of McPherson College, and I happen to know a local '65 Buick expert...

Hey my thank you so much can I have his info is he close to Miami ,

Guest Mariorivi
35 minutes ago, RivNut said:

An hour south of McPherson puts him in Wichita, KS.  You're closer to Tom Telesco up in CT.  You're in need of  "mother guy?"  ??? 

Lol!! I mean a motor guy,to be honest that's kinda far I would rather someone in Florida,because of shipping costs,I know there's a guy somewhere here in Florida but I can't find him,but I know it's going to be around $30,000-40,000 by the time I'm finished with it, and I have the patience for perfection 

Guest Mariorivi
15 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Mario, how much rust is there throughout the the car? Total restoration costs of a rust free car can quickly exceed the market of many cars, add in major rust repairs and you're looking up out of a deep money pit. 

It has about %20,but I'm going to soda blast it and take it from there,I'm willing to go about $30,000-40,000 in it,my uncle and I are going to do most of the body work and customization on it,but in need a motor guy in Florida,if you know of any pls let me know 

Guest Mariorivi

Guys if anyone of or others can help me find a motor guy in or close to Miami or Florida and is good and repayable pls let me know Thanks 

Hi Mariorivi,

welcome to the forum. Which ever way you choose, have fun. Remember that restoring/refurbishing a car is like eating an elephant. You need to take lots and lots of small bites at a time, chew them thoroughly. Just do one small thing every day. At the end of a week, you have done 7 things .... or may be more. and with the Riviera, like any project,  you cant take short cuts as they often come back and bite you!

Just my two bobs worth from down under!

Mario......I'm glad to hear that you bought it all in one piece. I hope that you photographed how it all went together

and bagged and tagged all the fasteners. I don't want to discourage you from restoring the car as it's good to see a 65 Riviera get back on the road, I just felt I should point out that you could buy an unmolested babied all it's life 65 Riviera for the amount of money

you will spend on parts and materials on your project to restore this one which will mean that your labor efforts will be rewarded

with zero dollars. If you  are fine with that, then we will be rooting for you and please post pics of your progress......we love frame off

restoration threads on this forum. Good luck. One more thing.....you will come out better in the long run financially if you restore

the car to a stock appearance sticking with  original colors offered on a 65 Riviera. The correctly restored ones are what bring

the big bucks later. 

10 hours ago, Mariorivi said:

Guys if anyone of or others can help me find a motor guy in or close to Miami or Florida and is good and repayable pls let me know Thanks 

If/when you do find a rebuild shop, you need to spend HOURS educating yourself on rebuilding the nailhead. Start here. http://nailheadbuick.com/tech-info

then go to V8Buick.com and spend hours doing searches in the nailhead forum.

You must become knowledgeable enough to communicate with the shop knowing every step they are making, asking questions, answering questions, etc. Be involved in the process! There are more horror stories than success stories from people who put full trust in a shop that claimed they knew how to rebuild a nailhead because they do 1000s of Fords, Chevys, and Mopars. The first question you ask is how many mid 60s nailheads have they rebuilt in the last 10 years. Buick engines are uncommon territory to most shops because there just aren't that many of us vs the mainstream.

As far as customizing a car, as mentioned going stock is best opportunity for selling value. Paint it a killer color available on the Riv in 65 that compliments the interior color. Once a car is customized/modified, the interested buying pool at selling time is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced because you are hoping to find someone who just happens to love every modification you made. With the exception of customs that are expertly done predicting trends in the market (I've seen a handful) most times sellers are very humbled at the little amount a buyer is willing to pay for their hard work.

OK Riviera People: I took the Roller Coaster 64 Riv that far down.   My advise? Choose your battles carefully.

So, you may ask , "Why, Mitch, is it called the Roller Coaster 64 Riv"?  Because the punch list of repairs starts out very high, goes down very fast  and for some strange reason...it goes up even higher than the original list!   Mitch

• Haha 1

Guest Mariorivi

Thank you everyone for the wise wisdom and knowledge,I know there's a lot more to learn,I really appreciate all the feedback and responses,I have learned more from you guys in such a short time.thank you,all the shops I have been to,they want me to sell them the car or give me the cold shoulder or outrageous prices,some people eyes Light's up like a spotlight, and want me to sell it to them.one guy offered me $10,000 as it sit,but I will still do more research about the motor,if I can't find someone I'll just keep it stocked,I know what I have and it's not a common classic car like a chevy,mustang,gto,and I know it's going up in value,i will start with soda blasting first and go from there,I will post a lot of pics stay tuned 

Edited by MrEarl
removed vulgar and unacceptable language. (see edit history)

On 2/2/2017 at 10:53 PM, Mariorivi said:

Lol!! I mean a motor guy,to be honest that's kinda far I would rather someone in Florida,because of shipping costs,I know there's a guy somewhere here in Florida but I can't find him,but I know it's going to be around $30,000-40,000 by the time I'm finished with it, and I have the patience for perfection 

David Gaines is right there in Cooper City. He built my hot rod nailhead. He said it was designed to terrorize the countryside and he's right; it's very torquey. He is on the V8Buick.com boards as dual quad Dave. He also sells his rebuilt engines on eBay on occasion. 

But since your your car needs everything, you might as well do a rat rod or a custom.

IMG_1471.JPG

• Like 2

Guest Mariorivi
3 minutes ago, Rivdrivn said:

David Gaines is right there in Cooper City. He built my hot rod nailhead. He said it was designed to terrorize the countryside and he's right; it's very torquey. He is on the V8Buick.com boards as dual quad Dave. He also sells his rebuilt engines on eBay on occasion. 

But since your your car needs everything, you might as well do a rat rod or a custom.

IMG_1471.JPG

O man that thing is pretty, that is exactly what I'm looking for,you hit the nail bud,thank you so much for the info,I will be contact him 

• 4 years later...
On 2/2/2017 at 12:28 PM, SpecialEducation said:

I'm an hour south of McPherson College, and I happen to know a local '65 Buick expert...

I am located in Wichita also. Would you be able to connect me with the riviera expert? I am working on restoring a 65.

Mario, welcome to the forum. 
whatever you decide, do your research, have a plan and take it one step at a time and have fun . These are very complex cars. 
That said, $30-40k would get you a nice riv that you could enjoy immediately. Life is short. 
Best of luck and keep posting your progress. 
Brian

Brilliant observation psycho, but why'd you rain on the picnic? Mario's bucket of rusty bolts had everyone goin there. Something tells me all of us have a shedful of used Riv parts we want to get rid of. But why send poor Mario on a lifetime of pain, misery, & possible financial ruin. Personally, I hope he wised up & ditched that POS! Mine was a well preserved driver when I bought it in '92. Over the years I've spent nearly $30,000 on replacing or rebuilding practically everything (& it's still a <$20000 driver).      

• Like 5

Mike, this post is almost five years old! Mario doesn't need an engine builder!........Mario bailed out when he found out how much the engine was going to cost! I'm sure he sold it to the guy with no brain cells that offered him 10,000 as it sits. Most cars in that condition make the rounds to various owners who are going

to restore it before finally somebody realizes that it's best to part it out. Mario, if you are out there come onto the forum and tell us what happened!

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

I've only been back in this for close to 6 years that started out as a Father/Son project. During this time, I've encountered many Riviera projects. Some were scrapped for the few remaining good donor parts. However, many were tackled by amateurs who bailed out after dismantling for a frame-off of sorts. Restorable Rivieras that progressed nowhere. They are gone or will never see the road again.

This Georgia '64 w/AC rests in the far north, oils sands country. Obviously a donor car with not much left to donate.

image.png.dcb4757b230ffbd587dc977dcbd9f375.png

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2021 at 8:23 PM, Estreet said:

I am located in Wichita also. Would you be able to connect me with the riviera expert? I am working on restoring a 65.

Just now seeing this... lol

I don't know for sure who I was thinking of back in 2017, but if you swing by the O'Reilly's just north of Pawnee on Seneca during the day and ask for Tom, the store manager.  Here's a photo of him and 3 of his Buicks from a show in 2016:

58018ca5b200b_Buick2016006.jpg.6a8228997