Pebble Beach 2024 thread ……

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

IMG_7297.jpeg

I was checking out the sport sedan this morning. It looks excellent in person. The photo's do not do the car justice. In person there is not a bad angle on the car and I am looking forward to seeing the color in the sun. The sport sedan is one of my favorite Packard closed cars. Last time I seen one in person was 25 years ago at the Packard Centennial when the car of the dome was there. Best of luck on Sunday. The car should be in contention for BOS. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the nice compliments. We did a bunch of research, it took five years to get everything we needed. Many people here helped along the way. The cars today almost always have chrome wires on them. We had photos from the 40’s showing painted wheels. Color is factory. Did the 70 mile tour with ease. It drives as good as it looks. It’s the rarest of the rare Packards. We are privileged to be the current caretakers. History from new. It’s a special car. Sunday is up to the car gods……..we shall see as the 125 year anniversary of Packard, there is a bunch of great Packards here. Interestingly…….the tour was almost twice as big as it has ever been. Lots of early cars also. Strangely, there must have been 20 total break downs come back on a hook. Usually it’s one or two. Crowds are HUGE, much bigger than I have ever seen in ten years. More younger folks also. Look of Facebook for some videos of this years tour……….very impressive.

IMG_7267.jpeg

IMG_7266.jpeg

IMG_7265.jpeg

IMG_7263.jpeg

IMG_7262.jpeg

IMG_7256.png

IMG_7257.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/15/2024 at 8:47 AM, TAKerry said:

As a Smithfield connoisseur, I have to ask, Is this being sold by the piece? and dare I ask the price?

Autolux dinner event…….all inclusive price. Fun event. Quite the party. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

WOW! Mercer raceabout model 35J was apparently no sale at $1,500,000.

Which auction house on the cars?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

WOW! Mercer raceabout model 35J was apparently no sale at $1,500,000.

I believe I know this car, long term ownership and the real deal.  I was a bit surprised to see it on the market but have not had a chance to talk to the person I believe who owns it.  Judging from the 100% sales through last night at RM (think that is correct) it looks to be a banner year out there,  Ed's reporting also sounds encouraging.  Hope the rest of the week goes great for everyone out there.

• Like 6

Thanks. With the wreck and new chassis, it’s probably why it didn’t make its reserve. Great documentation and a in the era fix isn’t end of world. Probably a better car than half of the others out there. Most of these cars had a hard life. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, edinmass said:

Thanks. With the wreck and new chassis, it’s probably why it didn’t make its reserve. Great documentation and a in the era fix isn’t end of world. Probably a better car than half of the others out there. Most of these cars had a hard life. 

Agreed.  It looked like they were trying to get 2 million out of the car which is about half of what the Jerry Foley car sold for.  Well documented Mercer raceabouts are few and far between.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TTR said:

A brass-era pimp mobile ? 😜

Nah. That is my idea of a limousine!

When I first saw those photos yesterday, they reminded me of a 1915 Pierce Arrow limousine that a good friend used to have. Incredible automobile, very original and known history. Famous family, and famous child was driven to school in the car by the chauffer even years later. The car had a Cinderella "pumpkin" coach look to it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, car crazy said:

This result looked a little weak, but I'm no Duesenberg expert. Have to say, really enjoy watching the Gooding auction-their auctioneer, Charlie Ross, is great. 

Screenshot 2024-08-17 at 8.33.34 PM.png

A fantastic car, with matching bell housing, crank, firewall, body, and chassis.

however, town car coachwork is never an easy sell and condition wise it had many needs.

I thought it would bring at least 200,000 more, but the market thought otherwise. At least on this day.

IMG_5370.jpeg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I loved this '34 Pierce Arrow that sold today at Gooding, someone got a great deal.  I remember when Charles Gillet had it.  Just a fantastic restoration, of a very cool car, going for relative peanuts.  Awesome.  If I didn't have what amounts to a Packard equivalent of it already, I'd have been in the bidding.  (Listing here: https://new.goodingco.com/lot/1934-pierce-arrow-model-840a-convertible-sedan/)

Screenshot2024-08-17at10_32_52PM.png.1e1bcb56c75d3417c5b476c624b059bc.png

Screenshot2024-08-17at10_32_45PM.png.4677974aa3f2818cb1f9585fa7853f11.png

• Like 7

Best of luck out there. I believe there is a car local to me that is out the there and is in the same class as your car.  I can't help wondering how many of our forum members are there today.  Have fun!

• Like 1

I am here at Pebble with a few friends that are showing their cars, most of the day I will be sitting at our encampment about 25 feet from the Phantom’s and ghosts, soon you will be able to identify me holding a wine glass, it must be noon somewhere 🍷

IMG_1533.jpeg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

And so it begins I will be one of the first 10 cars on the field this year. It’s been extremely busy at Pebble this year. I would say double the number of spectators and certainly double the number of cars on the tour.

IMG_7355.jpeg

IMG_7356.jpeg

Ed, The Packard is stunning. And yes I like the double white walls. Good luck at the show. Thank you for posting.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, ramair said:

I am here at Pebble with a few friends that are showing their cars, most of the day I will be sitting at our encampment about 25 feet from the Phantom’s and ghosts, soon you will be able to identify me holding a wine glass, it must be noon somewhere 🍷

IMG_1533.jpeg

Beautiful Packard 6, what a wonderful example of a nickel era car.

• Like 2

It’s a 1914 model 48, body is properly two tone in a dark maroon, really pops when the sun is shining 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

And so it begins I will be one of the first 10 cars on the field this year. It’s been extremely busy at Pebble this year. I would say double the number of spectators and certainly double the number of cars on the tour.

IMG_7355.jpeg

IMG_7356.jpeg

Nice to hear  Ed- Packards must be drawing 'em in, young and old. 😊 Hope all in attendance have a great day and good luck to you today!

• Like 3

Re the Duesenberg model J town car - why divide the paint scheme that way? .  My opinion on the town car body style- I LOVE THEM.  A lot of body styles in one - formal sedan, open car, 4 doors to accommodate people ,  but having owned one ( a Phantom I R-R) I just do not fit in them. My legs are to long and the vertical back cushion up against the division window is just to uncomfortable after about 15 minutes behind the wheel. I like to drive my cars for years drove my 1931 Franklin 3 1/2 to 5 + hours one way just to attend a week long event in central NY , drove the whole week and then home again - usually put on a total of 1,200 miles in one week. I never owned a truck and trailer to transport my old cars. Thanks to all for the comments here and the great photos - especially to Ed.

Walt

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Re the Duesenberg model J town car - why divide the paint scheme that way? .  My opinion on the town car body style- I LOVE THEM.  A lot of body styles in one - formal sedan, open car, 4 doors to accommodate people ,  but having owned one ( a Phantom I R-R) I just do not fit in them. My legs are to long and the vertical back cushion up against the division window is just to uncomfortable after about 15 minutes behind the wheel. I like to drive my cars for years drove my 1931 Franklin 3 1/2 to 5 + hours one way just to attend a week long event in central NY , drove the whole week and then home again - usually put on a total of 1,200 miles in one week. I never owned a truck and trailer to transport my old cars. Thanks to all for the comments here and the great photos - especially to Ed.

Walt

Pretty much all vintage formal sedans, limousines, town cars, etc I’ve ever encountered have offered ample legroom, comfortable seating, etc for the owners. 
Driver’s, i.e. “hired help’s ” comfort in most is and has usually always been a secondary concern, if any at all and why I’ve never been interested in owning any. 

I guess if I was super wealthy, had a need to be chauffeured around and could afford to keep a driver on payroll, I wouldn’t mind having one along with a helicopter & a jet + pilots for each.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Question for all you Packard 734 Speedster experts/admirers- have there ever been so many at one place (not counting the factory) before?  Looks like five on the show field and two up for auction. Would have loved to be there to see them first hand.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 1:06 PM, edinmass said:

Tour is tomorrow morning, and I shall post a photo of the used car we painted with a spray bomb and used brushed on aluminum rust oleum for chrome. It’s kind of a nice car…….. in the scheme of things.

I knew you were understating a tease of sorts, but WOW! What a gorgeous automobile!  (For a modern car?) Congratulations on the Best in Class?

And ramair, what an incredible Packard that is! I thought for a moment it might be one a longtime good friend has? But he never was all that much into the "show" part of the hobby, and hasn't been showing at Pebble much lately. We drove his to lunch one day about twenty years ago.

How about some better pictures of the whole car?

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Nicely done Ed, BOS eh, but class win & most elegant is a big deal!

Looks like @edinmass will be buying the drinks at the Pierce meet this coming week!  Bless his dedicated heart, he's flying in tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Looks like @edinmass will be buying the drinks at the Pierce meet this coming week!  Bless his dedicated heart, he's flying in tomorrow.

He can put the tab on his expense account as "lubricants."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3