1933 Packard v12 dual cowl sport phaeton Model 1005 $450,000

Marketplace - 1933 Packard v12 dual cowl sport phaeton · Model 1005 | Facebook

I searched this forum & didn't find this one posted. I would think someone here must know this car.

Driven 1,000 miles
Manual transmission
Exterior color: Burgundy · Interior color:
Fuel type: Gasoline
This vehicle is paid off
Clean title
Restored 1st Place Grand National AACA. Fantastic car to drive and admire.
image.png.b16eacd4fb8be50bc7237b02d1d3fdb3.png
image.png.377bde70629834e1b82ced10b7025f0d.png
image.png.12fcfd1cbfa21f6094adbf56947b1aea.png
image.png.d3cd08742ad55fdf227f7d6a08ceb309.png
image.png.08abfc1dabcf3caf618cf38401a40e34.png
image.png.94e3872885ed3d8086adbdfd85b6fa95.png
  • Like 4

Allow me to state the obvious.  The only worse way to sell that car would be to put it on craig's list.

Also, for the 450K the provenance has to be rock solid.  A standard 5 passenger phaeton is only a reproduction deck away from being a sport phaeton.

Edit:  Although a real v12 5 passenger phaeton is nothing to sneeze at.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Allow me to state the obvious.  The only worse way to sell that car would be to put it on craig's list.

Also, for the 450K the provenance has to be rock solid.  A standard 5 passenger phaeton is only a reproduction deck away from being a sport phaeton.

Edit:  Although a real v12 5 passenger phaeton is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Mark Zuckerberg is kicking Hemming's ass.  

Clearly I am part of the problem.....I too look at and search FB marketplace for cars quite a bit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Mark Zuckerberg is kicking Hemming's ass.  

Clearly I am part of the problem.....I too look at and search FB marketplace for cars quite a bit.

Hemmings isn't the right channel either.     That car needs to be hand sold quietly or through one of the known prewar dealers that will vet it out.    Open 12 cylinder Packards shared their bodies with the super eight and standard eight.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Especially since FB's search on their marketplace is absolutely horrendeous. If I lived in the US, I can't why I'd use anything other then Hemmings.

Also that car is very nice (the back seats looked unoriginal), but that price is....are they seriously this rare?

22 minutes ago, theconvertibleguy said:

Especially since FB's search on their marketplace is absolutely horrendeous. If I lived in the US, I can't why I'd use anything other then Hemmings.

Also that car is very nice (the back seats looked unoriginal), but that price is....are they seriously this rare?

If it is 100% real. It’s worth something close to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Hemmings isn't the right channel either.     That car needs to be hand sold quietly or through one of the known prewar dealers that will vet it out.    Open 12 cylinder Packards shared their bodies with the super eight and standard eight.  

I totally agree with you on who should market the car.  My comment wasn't an endorsement of Hemmings for this car, but more of a statement that I'm still a 13 year old kid waiting for the brown wrapper Hemmings to arrive ( a highpoint in the month) and stay up past midnight looking at it with my childhood friend John, who's father was a big collector.  Those were good simple times.  

I still see facebook as I was first introduced to it many years ago.  My wife showed the sight to me after she had signed up.  I read a couple pages of her girlfriend's sharing publicly the irrelevant details of their life "going to the grocery store", "its cold out today", "had a great BM".............and didn't look at it again for 10 years.   Crazy how much classic car stuff is on it today, and that used to be what Hemmings was to me.....40 years ago.

That is a good looking Packard.  No idea about the price.

• Like 7

I do not have a facebook account and will never have one.  I do use my wife's account to watch a couple of groups,  the Phantom II society and the Condensing Stanley page.

Everybody needs to understand that ALL open Packards on a desirable chassis are suspect.   Because of that when you are selling your 745 Roadster or your 34 12 Coupe Roadster you need to provide as much history as possible to achieve the highest price.    People pick their price points based on the high auction number they may see on a particular car.   But it is never apples to apples.   That auction car may be a 3 owner car that the seller has 1,000,000 invested and is selling it for 500k.  

The car we are talking about here was clearly restored in the 80s or 90s based on the colors and accessories.   To achieve top price for the first thing I would do is throw every accessory in the trash and put blackwalls on it.   Then I would research and write up as accurate a history for as far back as possible.    If you can at least get it back in to the 60s or even better 50s with that body on you can probably start asking for a pretty high price.

I feel bad when I see this because it makes me think its an estate and the wife or kids don't know what to do.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

I do not have a facebook account and will never have one.  I do use my wife's account to watch a couple of groups,  the Phantom II society and the Condensing Stanley page.

Everybody needs to understand that ALL open Packards on a desirable chassis are suspect.   Because of that when you are selling your 745 Roadster or your 34 12 Coupe Roadster you need to provide as much history as possible to achieve the highest price.    People pick their price points based on the high auction number they may see on a particular car.   But it is never apples to apples.   That auction car may be a 3 owner car that the seller has 1,000,000 invested and is selling it for 500k.  

The car we are talking about here was clearly restored in the 80s or 90s based on the colors and accessories.   To achieve top price for the first thing I would do is throw every accessory in the trash and put blackwalls on it.   Then I would research and write up as accurate a history for as far back as possible.    If you can at least get it back in to the 60s or even better 50s with that body on you can probably start asking for a pretty high price.

I feel bad when I see this because it makes me think its an estate and the wife or kids don't know what to do.

Don’t feel too bad.  They are asking $290k more than what it sold for 13 years ago.  

4 hours ago, John Bloom said:

John, the reason is the platform is just very popular and easy to use.  Over the years I refined my approach to fb.  I am in maybe 40 car groups but only "follow" a few due to the massive content that loads your "feed".   The overlapping posts thing is an issue as well.  I like the buy sell groups best and those are probably a bigger reason than marketplace to be on fb.  Much better to see a bunch of Packard stuff, C3 vette, whatever in a single group  ala hemmings than fight with marketplace although I do look at that.

I will say last car I sold was through fb and it was very easy you get ding dongs but it only takes one serious buyer, I had 3 legit buyets within 8 hours, car was gone 24 hours later.  Obviously not the place for real high end stuff but I see vettes listed all the time in the 50 - 100k range and more 25 - 50.  If they are selling someone is buying them...

Plus, join a doggie group (Great Danes for us) and you get a never ending stream of cute beasts to break up the cars.  Otherwise it's basically crap but a little effort keeps a lot of that at bay.

Contrast to Hemmings today and its no contest.  Still get the brown book but not sure why anymore...

Since the mid-1920's Packard cleverly laid out their model series of various wheelbases to allow sharing of standard factory body style across from basic Single Sixes/Standard Eight, through Custom and Deluxe Eight and Twelve when those arrived.   The key dimension was from the firewall to the rear axle plane.  The differential forward of the firewall accommodated the larger engines, the firewall to front axle plane spec'd to fit those.  If the original date plate stamped by Packard is present, not one of those shiny reproduction plates, it had better be stamped for the genuine 1005 Twelve 5-passenger Sport Phaeton with the magic Body Number: 641.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

John, the reason is the platform is just very popular and easy to use.  Over the years I refined my approach to fb.  I am in maybe 40 car groups but only "follow" a few due to the massive content that loads your "feed".   The overlapping posts thing is an issue as well.  I like the buy sell groups best and those are probably a bigger reason than marketplace to be on fb.  Much better to see a bunch of Packard stuff, C3 vette, whatever in a single group  ala hemmings than fight with marketplace although I do look at that.

I will say last car I sold was through fb and it was very easy you get ding dongs but it only takes one serious buyer, I had 3 legit buyets within 8 hours, car was gone 24 hours later.  Obviously not the place for real high end stuff but I see vettes listed all the time in the 50 - 100k range and more 25 - 50.  If they are selling someone is buying them...

Plus, join a doggie group (Great Danes for us) and you get a never ending stream of cute beasts to break up the cars.  Otherwise it's basically crap but a little effort keeps a lot of that at bay.

Contrast to Hemmings today and its no contest.  Still get the brown book but not sure why anymore...

Steve, I am a frequent buyer from marketplace, I don’t have an acct but stalk using my wife’s. 

Hemmings used to be at the epicenter of this hobby.  Not so now.  

I appreciate the ability of FB to bring obscure things across my plate.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Steve, I am a frequent buyer from marketplace, I don’t have an acct but stalk using my wife’s. 

Hemmings used to be at the epicenter of this hobby.  Not so now.  

I appreciate the ability of FB to bring obscure things across my plate.   

John, you want to see a wild bunch check out the art deco prewar toaster collectors group.  Ok I made that up but  I know you get it already... 😁😁😁 

Adding you to the list along with AJ of hold outs using the Mrs. Account.  I am aware of around 5 or 6 of you guys...  😁😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's a suggested alternative to those who might want to have access to FB content but not be barraged with personal messages from former classmates who want to catch up with you.  Just open an FB account with a made up name.  That's what I did.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, neil morse said:

Here's a suggested alternative to those who might want to have access to FB content but not be barraged with personal messages from former classmates who want to catch up with you.  Just open an FB account with a made up name.  That's what I did.  

Larson P. Whipsnade?  Sneed Hearn?  Eustace McGargle?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The car is not too far from me. It has been of fb for a while and it must be a relatives account that it is posted under. Word was passed around that the car would be available before it was posted on marketplace. The owner is getting older and he does occasionally take the car out and drive it around. 

My friends worked on the car within the last 10 years or so. It has a phenomenal paint and pinstripe job. 

The picture is from a few months back.. A local, once a year cruise night where about 1000 cars showed up this year. I think there was maybe 10 prewar cars. Not that many prewar hot rods or street rods either.  The reason I bring that up is because there is some other threads going on right now about prewar cars and pricing. Once the car sells it will probably be one less prewar classic car in the area. In the last 10-12 years prewar guys have died off and the cars have left the area and few people have replaced them.

Fb marketplace is interesting. I have found some interesting parts that were needle in a haystack kind of parts. 

IMG_1883.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

John, you want to see a wild bunch check out the art deco prewar toaster collectors group.  Ok I made that up but  I know you get it already... 😁😁😁 

Hey! I have a great prewar art deco toaster! And a couple nice electric toasters from around the Great War (WW1).

My wife has a Facebook account, and shows me stuff often. Otherwise, the only time I ever look at it is cars for sale shared here in the "not mine" area.

She did sign me up in to an account. It is still there. The last time I signed in or looked myself was when one of my longtime best friends died suddenly over ten years ago. I signed in to leave a farewell on his site/page.

• Like 1

Frankly, I am amazed by the volume of interesting cars that show up on FB. I personally sold a fully restored 68 impala convertible and a 36 Ford Cabriolet this summer on FB. Both cars went to the same guy and they were sold within an hr of posting. I also collect antique music boxes, some of the deals I have seen on FB are amazing. It reaches millions of people and the search engine is far from perfect, but, anything and everything shows up on there if you look. 

• Like 2

Guess I am a "fogey" - don't do Facebook ( nor ever will), remember subscribing to Hemmings when it was a small white page book in the pre brown cover prehistoric/dinosaur  era, ( dinosaur sized cars dinosaur era books) although I spend way to many hours on here I still like a printed page magazine or book to hold to read, Still do research for stories I pen by looking at the original material ( yes I am fortunate to have that ) no longer use a rotary telephone ( although I had at least one plus a candlestick type one as well) Love most all vehicles, but especially like ones i don't have to crawl down into or get up out of. wear a fedora in colder weather and still think Wurlitzer made the best music machines that one could enjoy if you deposited a nickel ( that has an image of a buffalo on it) and really enjoy using a pen that you fill with ink that comes from a bottle.....................

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We all do it, but probably shouldn't. This thread seems to have evolved into the good evil of FB. As the original poster of this car, I'm not real pleased.

Just FYI:

Forum Guidelines

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2023 at 9:17 AM, alsancle said:

At least the ad states that it's paid off! LOL