A Little Nostalgia.. Used Car Prices

BIRUDY

4 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Median household income in 1966 was $7,600.

Well our family was under median... 

My first car (1973) was a '62 Biscayne. I paid $15 for it and drove it home. Hit in the rear, but I still drove it for several months before I picked up a trunk and rear bumper. Sold it a year later to move up to a '66 Biscayne station wagon.😃

Before I bought the '62 I had looked at a lot of $5 and $10 cars in the "Trading Post" a 25 ¢ newspaper version of Facebook Marketplace.😉

🦃🦃🦃🦃🐖🍠🥔🍲🍯🛠️

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Well our family was under median... 

My first car (1973) was a '62 Biscayne. I paid $15 for it and drove it home. Hit in the rear, but I still drove it for several months before I picked up a trunk and rear bumper. Sold it a year later to move up to a '66 Biscayne station wagon.😃

My first car (in 1974) was the hand-me-down family 1968 Vista Cruiser. I bought a string of $50-$200 cars after that. I find it more interesting that my first car was only six years old. The newest car I own today is nearly 40 years old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

My first car (in 1974) was the hand-me-down family 1968 Vista Cruiser. I bought a string of $50-$200 cars after that. I find it more interesting that my first car was only six years old. The newest car I own today is nearly 40 years old.

Joe, are you like me?   " They don't make em like they used to " and glad of it?   My newest is 31 and going strong.

Ben

• Like 3

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

I find it more interesting that my first car was only six years old.

When I was a kid, one could generally see daylight through the floorboards of a six year-old car.  Smaller items carried in the trunk risked sliding into the gap between the quarter panel and trunk floor, where they either became frosted with a sand/salt slurry or simply fall out onto the road...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My first car was a pretty nice Hillman convertible. It ran OK but had been sitting and needed a brake job. $50.  A couple of years later I almost traded my 4 year old Porsche 912 ($50K today) for a Mercedes 300SL Convertible. (now over a million). One of my father's friends tried to sell him a '55 Porsche 550 Spyder for $3500. He drove to for a week. My mom nixed it (they are around 3 mil today). 

• Haha 1

The first car I bought was in 1972,a '57 Chevy 210 2dr sedan in fair condition for $110. The right front fender was banged up,but other than that,it was a good driver. Today $110 might buy a wheel cover for the thing.

• Like 1

In 1966 about in May I was 17 and nearing High School graduation. I bought a 1960 Buick Invicta from our local Buick dealer for $600.

I have posted this picture before. It is the only one I have of it. That was a pretty good reach at the time.

1960Buick-1.jpg.602462ab246df663dfa55c1d38fe475e.jpg

I look at the Chevies for sale in the ads. They represent the high end of what we were selling at my grandfathers used car lot. $125-$350 was our range and the higher priced ones were not common.

I went to work for him when I was 11. First it was just to mow the lawn but I soon ended up completing a full day in the tire shop. Expanding into the car lot was concurrent with my starting work there. I always made $1 per hour plus 10% when I started selling used tires. By the time I was 14 I was selling cars. My grandmother kept the books and she decided 10% on the cars was too much and cut me to 5% on them.

Chevies were always a good used car seller. Tri-five Chevies were still a hot daily transport when I went into the Navy in '67. My grandfather figured everything else was an off brand.

Somewhere online there is a picture similar to this post war lot with a Duesenberg priced at $450 on the windshield. I think of it in hours a person had to work to buy it. Pretty hefty price for a 15-20 year old car. Remembering that picture helps me justify paying a premium for a 15-20 year clean car that is a little special and I can age with. That has always been my preferred collector car purchase. Not $450 today, but you can sure get a nice one in the $8,000-$10,000 range. For me much better than a restoration project.

images.jpg.33f35ef16eaa6f3eb7e9763196082627.jpg

• Like 2

Here is my first car in 1967 when I was 17 and had to use my savings to buy this $125 beauty.

( My Mom getting her first ride)IMG_E3660.JPG.6cd70d06463d2eaabe55cdd908dd2c47.JPGand here is a (same location)picture 55 years later with  Mom(now 102 yrs young and still lives there) with a new same car  ( don't ask how much it cost to get it to this condition because I am afraid to add it up).IMG_E3642-Copy(3).JPG.2a207389afcc17d4ed0e835ed6cc5e4e.JPG

• Like 9

I was only three years old in 1966, so I look at these prices and it kind of blows my mind. I got my first car (truck) in 1979 when I got my first part time job, making 2.90/hour. I bought and sold a number of cars over the next few years and here are a few noteworthy ones.

1979 -1st car (truck) -1957 Ford F100 V8 Custom cab, good used condition -$425

1980 -1970 Plymouth Duster 318 V8 three speed on the floor -good used condition -$450

1981 -1967 Pontiac GTO, original paint, solid body and strong 400 V8 -needed brakes and tires -$500

1983 -1968 Oldsmobile 442. Solid but a few dents and dings. Ran well -$250

In 1983 I think I was up to about 4.00/hour. Me and all my friends drove stuff like GTOs, RoadRunners, Camaros, Chevelles and Mustangs to high school in the late 70's and early 80's. I guess they were just used cars then.

• Like 1