New Addition - 1939 Chrysler Windsor 4-door w/ suicide doors

MercMontMars

Hi there, I’m posting about a car I’m about to buy and restore. I’d love to learn all there is to know about this car, it is a 1939 Chrysler Windsor 4-door w/ suicide doors. Beautiful car, I love the fastback look and they seem to be fairly uncommon, at least in ok shape. It has a Chrysler inline 6 with what I assume to be a 3-speed manual trans, I’m not too sure on the drivetrain yet but it’s all there. Overall a very complete car in need of some rust repair here and there and maybe if I’m lucky that little inline 6 will come to life. Couldn’t pass it up for $1000, it’s gonna need a lot of work but I’m planning on doing it all myself and I finally found myself a vintage Mopar. 

Anyone out there who knows a thing or two about classic Chrysler/Mopar cars let me know!

:)

! (EDIT) I noticed some people in the comments are interested in the cars around the yard, they’re located in Florida and the seller is moving shops so he’s trying to get rid of them. If you’re interested in anything you see let me know and I can get you a number. $

IMG_3347.jpeg.662375cce24ab82bc12c3334c7bae053.jpeg

IMG_3344.jpeg.0afea73bee133f0f1dbf5f677cfe5c1d.jpegIMG_3343.jpeg.9553b076b92a37cb98de1dcc22f2f9d4.jpegIMG_1845.jpeg.5b08a102b55d150a1f8d7de71caabc30.jpegIMG_1846.jpeg.e29468f8b0907ab16af1c21f71db5ba4.jpegIMG_1842.jpeg.b6102fdf66da3bbf016f8811b214408d.jpegIMG_3346.jpeg.88bc80391b609c0c8d12119f86eddbe3.jpeg

Edited by MercMontMars (see edit history)
  • Like 8

It is a big project! I hope you are up for the challenge. Rust is a big problem with these, but can be repaired in several ways. Each area will need to be individually assessed and a plan made for repair. 

A lot of people will tell you it can't be done. I won't say that. Some of us enjoy the challenge! There is a special satisfaction for every piece that you bring back from the brink! I have restored a few cars that others told me could not be restored.

Don't think it will be easy, or quick. 

First, clean it up! Take lots and lots of photos, closeups of every original thing before taking anything apart, and while taking it apart. Then decide whether to tackle the body work or the mechanical work. Don't try to do everything at once. However, along the way, an occasional detour to another area for small projects can break the monotony of not seeing progress.

Make a list of items you need to replace. The bumpers look like you should try to get better ones. Hubcaps, interior trim, any other things you should be looking for all along.

A good way to approach projects like this is to commit to at least one hour per day working on the car! Even if just a little thing each day, it keeps adding up. Take it like some "me time", a break from regular work and daily stresses. It works! The quickest way to end progress is to stop doing that daily one hour. First thing you know, it has been a week. Then a month. Then years. 

Good luck! And I am sure a lot of people on here would like to follow a restoration thread under the "Our Projects" headings.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

It is a big project! I hope you are up for the challenge. Rust is a big problem with these, but can be repaired in several ways. Each area will need to be individually assessed and a plan made for repair. 

A lot of people will tell you it can't be done. I won't say that. Some of us enjoy the challenge! There is a special satisfaction for every piece that you bring back from the brink! I have restored a few cars that others told me could not be restored.

Don't think it will be easy, or quick. 

First, clean it up! Take lots and lots of photos, closeups of every original thing before taking anything apart, and while taking it apart. Then decide whether to tackle the body work or the mechanical work. Don't try to do everything at once. However, along the way, an occasional detour to another area for small projects can break the monotony of not seeing progress.

Make a list of items you need to replace. The bumpers look like you should try to get better ones. Hubcaps, interior trim, any other things you should be looking for all along.

A good way to approach projects like this is to commit to at least one hour per day working on the car! Even if just a little thing each day, it keeps adding up. Take it like some "me time", a break from regular work and daily stresses. It works! The quickest way to end progress is to stop doing that daily one hour. First thing you know, it has been a week. Then a month. Then years. 

Good luck! And I am sure a lot of people on here would like to follow a restoration thread under the "Our Projects" headings.

What Wayne said. ☝️ Neat car. See if you can get it to run and drive before tearing it apart. It may be fun to take to a show that is capable of driving on and around the show field. It will sure turn a lot of heads.

• Like 1

Great find. Would be nice to get it running and driving so you know what you are dealing with. Doing small tasks at a time such as a brake overhaul, wiring etc will allow you to keep it driving without extensive time off the road. 

Photos as you go are super important as is a correct shop manual. 

Enjoy the journey and as others have said, just do one thing every day!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 3

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to New Addition - 1939 Chrysler Windsor 4-door w/ suicide doors

They were a well made quality car but not too complicated. Two things that cross up new owners, left hand threads on the left side wheel bolts and 6 volt Positive ground electrics. Not a problem if you know about them, now you have been warned.

Engine was used in DeSoto and Chrysler cars, some Dodge trucks and as industrial and marine engines,starting in 1937 or 38,  in cars to 1954, Dodge trucks to 1962,  military Power Wagons and ind and marine till 1972. Millions were made and parts are available.

Brakes were state of the art for the times, a little more complicated to work on but work well when set up right. Rear hubs are pressed on a taper, you need a big puller to get the rear hub and brake drum off.

1939 was first year for Fluid Drive. Your car may, or may not have it. Not sure if it was optional. If the clutch pedal has "Safety Clutch " printed on it, you probably have Fluid Drive. If you look under the car and it has a very long bellhousing, long enough to hold 2 clutches, it is Fluid Drive. Otherwise it is a 3 speed manual.

Andy Bernbaum is a good source of parts. You can order most things from your local NAPA store or other good auto parts store. Vintage Power Wagons in Iowa has a large stock of engine parts, Power Wagons used the same engine as your car.

Best to get a manual to go by. You have a big project there but something you can have some fun with, at not a large expense.

I see the air cleaner is on the engine, spark plugs in place, and the hood was closed. All good signs. You could try taking out the spark plugs, pouring a little oil down the cylinders, and turning the engine over by hand. If it turns over and has compression it should go. Please do not go tearing everything apart, go easy and diagnose first, chances are it will run without doing much or spending any money if you know what you are doing. I have gotten engines like that running, that were off the road for 30 years or more.

• Like 5

@wayne sheldon Thanks for the reply Wayne, you pretty much summed up my plan! I’m gonna cut out the rotted headliner and give the inside a good dusting out. See what my floors look like, clean all the glass and make her shine again for the first time in many years. After getting the interior the best I can get it, I’ll start tackling the mechanicals. I have a good feeling it’ll surprise me, it’s a little in-line 6 and probably has sat longer than it actually drove, weird to think many cars of this time are usually less than 80,000 miles. 

The B pillar is fairly solid on the bottom, the drip rail may be a headache.

I think Fluid Drive was not available on the Windsors. Your car has a sealed beam conversion kit on it, the original lenses a getting tough to find.

80,000 miles was about it for late 30s cars but the Chrysler's six will run with relatively low compression.

• Like 2

Probably about as good an engine as you could buy at that time, all things considered. Insert bearings, full-pressure lube, oil filter standard, they don't tend to run hot. Smooth, quiet running. I'd probably start there, then the brakes followed by any assorted electrical gremlins. As others have said, one bite at a time, and strive to make some sort of progress each day. There is a terrible trap with our hobby, no matter the make and model, and the garages of our great land our littered with the result. The trap is taking a car all apart, and then getting stuck on something (a damaged part, something that won't come apart, something missing) and the car then just sits and sits and sits. Not much demand when you go to sell a 39 Chrysler jigsaw puzzle. On my last big project, I had plenty of setbacks, but each day I could count on at least some little thing that went right. That kept me going.

• Like 2

@Rusty_OToole

I fully agree, I don’t plan on taking this motor apart at all unless I have a genuine reason to at some point. Gonna start basic like you said, I’ve already bought new plugs and will oil the cylinders. Only “big” things I’m really worried about starting out is the carburetor needing a rebuild and maybe pulling the head just to clean it a bit and check for any stuck valves. I’ve found a chart that shows the bolt pattern so I can properly remove and replace that if I do. The motor still has oil in it so I’m glad to see that, I know it will pleasantly surprise me when I get to trying it.

Edited by MercMontMars (see edit history)

@28 Chrysler Wow I didn’t know that, I wouldn’t have even noticed the headlights weren’t factory. For what I paid for the car I don’t mind, maybe one day I’ll find a pair and return it to its original look. I’m still thinking about how I’m gonna tackle that, the drip rail does not seem very easy to weld and it has plenty of holes in it.

There was a 39 Chrysler sedan on Ebay a couple of months ago and looked completely restored.  But it didn't even get up to 6K!  It looks like pre 50 cars are really sinking in value.  What Wayne Sheldon said about restoration are golden words of wisdom.  I was making good progress on my 48 DeSoto, put the body back on, drivetrain all restored, starting to paint, then I lost my handyman who was a great help for doing the physically tougher things.  Now I haven't really worked on the car in a couple of months and I don't want that to continue.  Wayne's advice to work at least one hour a day on the car is essential for keeping interest going.  And you need to see progress.  If you don't see progress you lose interest.  I wish I had my handyman back, but until he can, I'm going to have to make progress daily to maintain momentum on this big project!

Correction:  It was a 39 DeSoto, not Chrysler.  

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I have an almost new looking 1939 Chrysler shop manual in my collection that I don’t need and will sell cheap.  The catch is it’s meant to be used with the 1938 shop manual (that’s how the factory did it) and I don’t have the 1938 manual.  Send me a PM if you have any interest in it.

All the best to you on this project!

• Like 1

@marcapra I noticed a very odd market for these cars while researching before my purchase, definitely not the most valuable car. I think the highest sale I’ve found was $16,000 in perfect fully running condition. I don’t see myself putting more than $3,000 into this project so I’m not too worried about it, this is fully for fun and to test my abilities. It’ll be crazy comparing her prior condition to fully restored someday.

I sure do hope you get your 48’ Desoto going, very nice looking cars, I love old Mopars. I’d love to get some pictures of your project. 

Getting the shop manuals and perhaps a sales brochure to see what the proper tail light, head lights look like is very worthy. If you can get the generator,starter, carburetor water pump , fuel pump off you can restore these inside sitting down at a bench rather then in the garage. or talk to other people ( join AACA and a AACA region) to find out who their members use for reliable rebuild work. Car will need brake work as well, order the parts while you can when you can to be ready for your next area of restoration. I do not believe there are do it yourself interior replacement kits, that will take some considerable work - do you have any experience with that?

I wish you the best, great you have enthusiasm and plan on it taking a huge amount of time to accomplish.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1

@Walt G Not quite on the interior portion, but it all looks very simple. Part of the reason I bought this car is to get more experienced with things like that, taking my shot at fabricating parts and general restoration. I’m fairly confident that I can make the carpeting and maybe upholster the seats, oddly enough my seats had about 3 layers of fabric on them.. top layer was a rattan wicker type material, the second a plastic/vinyl blue material, and finally a nice blue velvet. All of it is dry rotted and not savable sadly. The headliner I may have to buy or have made professionally, but that won’t be any time soon. I still have the beams that hold it up and they’re solid so I’m glad about that.

17 hours ago, MercMontMars said:

@Rusty_OToole

I fully agree, I don’t plan on taking this motor apart at all unless I have a genuine reason to at some point. Gonna start basic like you said, I’ve already bought new plugs and will oil the cylinders. Only “big” things I’m really worried about starting out is the carburetor needing a rebuild and maybe pulling the head just to clean it a bit and check for any stuck valves. I’ve found a chart that shows the bolt pattern so I can properly remove and replace that if I do. The motor still has oil in it so I’m glad to see that, I know it will pleasantly surprise me when I get to trying it.

I would have cleaned the old plugs and points but whatever. You will know if any valves are stuck when you turn it over. A compression test will tell for sure, no need to take off the head if they are not stuck.

Cold War Motors has a lot of videos on getting old motors running including a few Chrysler and Dodge flathead sixes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MercMontMars said:

I don’t see myself putting more than $3,000 into this project so I’m not too worried about it, this is fully for fun and to test my abilities. It’ll be crazy comparing her prior condition to fully restored someday.

That’s a great attitude to have on these projects. Fully for fun and to test one’s abilities. If all we worried about is the investment in time and money we would probably do something else. But at the end of each day you can stand back proud at what you have accomplished and say, yep I have done that! That is the real reward.

Enjoy the Chrysler and look forward to seeing more posts and pictures 

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 2

Took off the hood to get a better look at everything. Looks to be all there, nothing is getting power at the moment, I just did a basic check with a 6v battery to see if I was getting lights or maybe the horn. Gonna get new battery cables and clean my contact points. Got a good buddy working on the inside, he loves gutting and cleaning old cars, he’s great to have around.

IMG_3412.jpeg.b401b90ef4f2bedf3018cb5d029bdbb9.jpegIMG_3413.jpeg.3347300016ac75b279e207e0162bd3b4.jpegIMG_3415.jpeg.011a4b7d4fc7210a452d9bc6f0e20254.jpeg

• Like 1

Cylinders are holding oil up.. pretty good sign to me. 

Took more of the inside apart, revealed more good floor pans and minimal rust. Getting new cables and cleaning all my electric points tomorrow to see if I can get her to turn. Put a 6v battery and didn’t get anything, but my cables look roached and any electric points are begging for a cleaning. Making huge progress in just 2 days. 

IMG_3417.jpeg.c1a2861034dac3ab7430545b25880fcd.jpeg

IMG_3418.jpeg.bf056ad0752d974cb6921293072f25a0.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MercMontMars said:

@marcapra I noticed a very odd market for these cars while researching before my purchase, definitely not the most valuable car. I think the highest sale I’ve found was $16,000 in perfect fully running condition. I don’t see myself putting more than $3,000 into this project so I’m not too worried about it, this is fully for fun and to test my abilities. It’ll be crazy comparing her prior condition to fully restored someday.

I sure do hope you get your 48’ Desoto going, very nice looking cars, I love old Mopars. I’d love to get some pictures of your project. 

I've posted lots of videos and pics of my project on this site, but I know they can be hard to find.  I have a channel on Youtube where I post lots of videos.  I wrote about my project on this site at the Our cars and restoration projects.  

• Like 1

@marcapra Wow, that car is absolutely gorgeous. I’m surprised it’s not getting more attention, still has the headlamp lenses and was wonderfully restored. You could swim in that deep blue paint they gave it. I’ve got a long time before I even consider painting my project and such, but picking a colour isn’t going to be easy. Will probably keep it original and go with a factory correct white.