New Type of Car Theft Scam

Brass is Best

I have encountered a new version of an old scam.

It is a twist on the fake cashier's check scam where the crook gives you a bad check and takes the car. Most people have heard of the scam and will not fall for it.

The new version works like this. The thief calls and makes a deal to buy your car. Asks lots of questions and says he is buying it for his Dad who speaks limited English. After a few calls you get offered very close to your asking price and agree to sell the car. Then the thief says is going to come tomorrow with cash. At this point you feel good because you are selling your car. A few hours later the thief calls back and tells you he can only get a small percentage in cash and will be bringing a cashier's check for the balance. 

If you agree to this look out. The small percentage of cash is all you are going to get paid for your car. When the check bounces the thief and your car will be long gone. Furthermore, if you enter into the deal with the thief this way it legally becomes a civil matter when the check bounces because you already have partial payment and you released your car. You will have to sue the thief in civil court to get your money or your car which will both be long gone.

I told the thief he would have to do a wire transfer for the balance. Yesterday he agreed that would be fine. When he spoke to me this morning to let me know he was on his way he said the wire transfer was too complicated, so he was just going to bring a cashier's check. When I told him the car would not leave with a check; he told me he already borrowed a trailer and was on the way. I told him the car would not leave until it was paid in full with all cash or a wire transfer and he became upset and pushed to pay by check. He gave a whole spiel about "Cashier's Checks are better than gold" "He thought we were friends" "His Dad really wants this car" etc... When I told him there was no way he would take the car until it was paid in full, he said he would see me in a little bit.

He never showed. 

I called and his phone was no longer a working number.

Do not let a car leave your property until it is 100% paid for.

Do not take a small cash deposit and a check. Your car will be gone and all you will ever get is the small amount of cash.

That small amount of cash is meant to relax you and buy your trust.

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 12

2 hours ago, Harold said:

One more theft scam I've heard about is a 'buyer' paying for a vehicle entirely by PayPal then claiming the item is mis-described.  They get a refund from PayPal and keep the car.

Not legally, I can't believe fraud would be rewarded.

2 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

You call the potential “buyer” a thief numerous times in your post. Question-Why would you want to give a thief your banking information for a wire transfer? For that matter, why would anyone want to give out that information to anyone else?

If you write a check to someone, they have all the banking information there is, bank name with account and routing numbers.  Don't think they can do anything with that information except make a deposit.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

You call the potential “buyer” a thief numerous times in your post. Question-Why would you want to give a thief your banking information for a wire transfer? For that matter, why would anyone want to give out that information to anyone else?

Because you don't know it is a scam until the very end.

• Like 3

I suppose I am naive to these matters, and by no means asking for advice, LOL, but how does one pass a bad cashiers check? I thought they were akin to a money order. I have bought a couple of used cars (daily drivers), had my bank make out a cashiers check, which I had to pay for with cash directly out of my account. I had thought they were 'bulletproof'.  Along those lines, my b.i.l. bought a motorcycle from out of state and personally delivered a cashiers check for the amount. The seller had no idea what one even was and the two of them went to the local bank together to cash it. The clerk at the bank even reassured the guy that a cashiers check was as good as ......well cash!

In regards to scams, my wife recently found a puppy she wanted. The seller gave here a place to send the $300 deposit. Shortly after sending, the seller replied back, 'oh, wait my husband gave you the wrong address, please send it to .....................   $300. gone!!

35 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

In regards to scams, my wife recently found a puppy she wanted. The seller gave here a place to send the $300 deposit. Shortly after sending, the seller replied back, 'oh, wait my husband gave you the wrong address, please send it to .....................   $300. gone!!

Did you send a cash deposit??? just stop payment on the check that should have been sent...

Frank

Money was sent via pay pal. There were many red flags with the whole deal I was not privy to. My wife was  blinded by the sight of a cute puppy, LOL. One of them was they wanted the money sent to paypal as friends and family. She did refuse that and they put up a little resistance. She is working with paypal right now to get a refund.

4 hours ago, trimacar said:

If you write a check to someone, they have all the banking information there is, bank name with account and routing numbers.  Don't think they can do anything with that information except make a deposit.  

Call me overly cautious, but I don’t write checks to private individuals or take checks from them. I write checks to businesses to pay my bills. I’ll be damned if I give any bank information to an individual, especially a stranger. If I couldn’t execute a deal with cash at the point and time of sale, I wouldn’t be on either end of the transaction.

32 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

Call me overly cautious, but I don’t write checks to private individuals or take checks from them. I write checks to businesses to pay my bills. I’ll be damned if I give any bank information to an individual, especially a stranger. If I couldn’t execute a deal with cash at the point and time of sale, I wouldn’t be on either end of the transaction.

Most folks don't want to carry over one hundered thousand dollars around with them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I suppose I am naive to these matters, and by no means asking for advice, LOL, but how does one pass a bad cashiers check?

That's simple. You forge it. I spent something like 40 years in the check printing business and dare say I could, if I was larcenous, forge any check. I suspect that the forgeries that scammers are passing would not stand close examination by anyone with my background but that is such a small number of people that it's relatively easy to get away with.

Years ago I had a call from the Louisiana State Police regarding a check forgery outfit. Oddly enough, the forger had copied a business check that I had printed, right down to having my toll-free number on the stub, so the in investigating officer called me. He knew I had nothing to do with it but wanted advice on how to tell if the check was a forgery and what to look for when they raided the place where these were originating.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Interesting take on fake cashier’s checks. Recently, my wife and I bought a condo out of state. We asked the attorney handling the closing how they wanted the funds. She insisted on a cashier’s check. We offered an EFT FROM OUR BANK. NO…bring a cashier’s check. Apparently there are issues with counterfeit EFTs, somehow, as well. To be really sure, I guess you need to insist on a briefcase full of hundreds and check them for forgery.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrData said:

Interesting take on fake cashier’s checks. Recently, my wife and I bought a condo out of state. We asked the attorney handling the closing how they wanted the funds. She insisted on a cashier’s check. We offered an EFT FROM OUR BANK. NO…bring a cashier’s check. Apparently there are issues with counterfeit EFTs, somehow, as well. To be really sure, I guess you need to insist on a briefcase full of hundreds and check them for forgery.

I wont go into details but I know personally of an EFT for a real estate transfer that went to the wrong place. Over half a million lost with the stroke of a computer key!

Many European countries stopped using checks years ago.

I just had a friend return from Asia and she said no one there used credit cards.

All expenses on the trip were paid for with her phone. 

In the US any deposit over $10K in cash has to be reported...it's not getting easier for us older folks. 

On 4/29/2023 at 11:01 AM, TAKerry said:

but how does one pass a bad cashiers check?

Scanner, Photo Shop and printer.👍;)

• Like 3

On 4/29/2023 at 5:20 AM, George Smolinski said:

its on every check you weite

• Like 1

I have an absolute fool proof way that solves all the problems. Very simple I use the CIF system, used it for years and never never had a problem. Now you ask what is the "CIF" system simple CASH IN FIST!!!!! no checks no notes no bull S@@t! just US Government green backs, never failed me yet and I'm 2 months short of 80.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

• Like 1

I am Picking up a 1957 Pontiac today

that has 17K original miles along with

original tires and it runs and drives.

I assisted the Buyer in going thru 

the steps of safely purchasing it

by bank wire transfer.

The Buyer lives in Kansas.

The Seller lives in Indiana.

The bank wire transfer initiated 

on Friday morning and posted 

Friday afternoon.

Bank to bank wire transfer is

the safest and most economical 

method you can use to pay 

for a vehicle if you are not

picking it up in person.

Jim

• Thanks 1

I was selling real estate a few years ago, I had a 25 yo girl buying her first house. After the deal was struck I told her I needed a check for the deposit. She had no idea what a check was! I had to walk her through the steps to get a cashiers check.

My son (30) opened a checking account several years ago. He made a comment to me not to long ago that he still had 3 of the 4 starter checks!!

A few years ago, when I ran a retail business, we were the unwitting facilitator of a check fraud.

About halfway through the day on a Saturday, my mother called me on my mobile phone to tell me the store's phone isn't working. I call it and sure enough, she's right. I call AT&T to get the issue resolved and they tell me there is a forward on the line going to a number I was not familiar with. We fix the issue and I go about my business.

Fast-forward a few days and I start getting calls from currency exchanges that the paychecks my staff cashed on Saturday were NSF. I ask who the check was made out to and from what bank. The "person" the check was made out to was not an employee and the bank not ours.

It turns out, a woman came in late on Friday to pick up an order for her boss. When we couldn't find the order, my staff let her use the phone. The boss wasn't answering, she said she would be back. In actuality, she put the forward on the line to a burner phone. On Saturday, the currency exchanges Googled our phone number and called to confirm the check was valid. "Marge" in HR answered on the burner and confirmed it was a good check. 

11 hours ago, brasscarguy said:

I have an absolute fool proof way that solves all the problems. Very simple I use the CIF system, used it for years and never never had a problem. Now you ask what is the "CIF" system simple CASH IN FIST!!!!! no checks no notes no bull S@@t! just US Government green backs, never failed me yet and I'm 2 months short of 80.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

I think you and I are in the minority here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2023 at 4:54 PM, Brass is Best said:

"He thought we were friends"

LOL!!😄😄

My guess is that he was either an out of state buyer, or would immediately take the vehicle to a two bit car lot and sell it for whatever money he could get above the cash amount he paid.

I'm paranoid about car sales, even with cash. If I'm getting many thousands of dollars in twenty dollar bills, I will often transact the deal at my bank so the teller can make sure that none of the bills are phony.

A few months ago I owed a guy $5000.

I had mailed a check but it was lost in the mail. It eventually came back to me with a bad address. (my fault)

But now the guy needed the dough. I took 5K in cash to Chase bank along with my friends account number.

This should instantly show up in his account.

Chase bank WOULD NOT TAKE MY CASH. Nope, to much money laundering bla-bla-bla.

So "How can I get money into this guys account today"?

"Easy, just write a check". I was flabbergasted, the lady said "we can confirm funds immediately and it will be in that account within 5 minutes".

That worked, but I have never had anyone prefere a check over cash.

A bank that will not deal in cash? WTF ????

A few years back, sold a split window Corvette at Hershey.  Healthy bucks, guy wanted to write a personal check for it.  I told him no, cash or cashiers check. He said OK, I’m local so I’ll go get you a cashiers check.

I told him a cashiers check is fine, but only if the bank branch manager hands it to me and assures me it’s good.

And that’s what we did, I went with him to bank.

Other experience at Hershey was selling a 1936 Pierce, fellow had an entourage with him, we made the deal, he told one of his people to wire the money to my bank, and he walked away. Twenty minutes later the purchase price was confirmed in my account.

Good reminder. It is tricky doing business these days, Take the cash. Take the cashiers cheque. Give a down payment receipt. Come back in a week when the cheque is cleared. If cheque is bad deduct cash for bank charges. 

• Like 1