Cavallino 2023 Palm Beach

edinmass

Every year the "Pebble Beach" of Ferrari shows is at The Breakers in Palm Beach. Over the years, the town of Palm Beach doesn't allow trucks to load or unload cars anywhere on the island........so, over time, the "go to" spot is my street here in West Palm. One benefit is I seem to be the guy who gets to play with the stuff thats having issues getting off the transporters. While not a Ferrari fan, I have been lucky enough to get to play with some of the big boy toys..........the kind that make a Duesenberg or Custom Dietrich Packard look fairly low on the affordability list.  I will post more photos as the weekend progresses.  

IMG_8791.jpeg

IMG_8790.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The N.A.R.T. sticker reminds me of going to pick up Ferrari parts in Greenwich where the team was based back in the 1970's. Current team car had hit something and there was a hole in the front fender. Fixed with shop rage stuffed in hole and close to color matching red duct tape holding things in place. I'm sure it is 2+ Million Dollar car today. 

Nice they have a place to adore each other every year. Everyone has their own special taste in cars and what they don't like.

that includes era, color, body style, ability to get in and out of easily, I am going to stop while I can before I get a lot of people not liking my comments...........

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

I don’t understand all this post war stuff. I met some famous guy name Luigi, who is the first guy to import Ferraris in the United States. 

28678003-475C-4FAB-88EE-E1625C01378A.jpeg

23250EDD-7B93-43CC-884F-38E038109874.jpeg

B5BE2B77-CDC6-43F1-B0D8-5152C8DA96E0.jpeg

E9800BE0-484D-41E3-9465-125ED2394047.jpeg

892A51F1-D1E2-4901-A885-516D6DADB0BD.jpeg

FB42BBA9-344A-4231-B420-28235131C120.jpeg

8AA918BD-EC37-4666-859F-A8F3FE6DBEFE.jpeg

3F5333EF-1DF9-471C-9A1F-ABC01EEB1984.jpeg

290E4E35-2B2F-458D-8DF4-DC78FDF75B64.jpeg

• Like 4

This is serial number eight Ferrari, the eighth Ferrari ever built. It won Le Mans in 1949.  You could probably buy 20 Packard split windshield Dietrichs for the cost of this one car.  

489DC539-0DD6-48F3-BF07-DD0BF8643854.jpeg

444555B4-E6B5-49C2-A6E3-E0D37F7603A6.jpeg

770222EA-FA5A-423F-A8FE-E4A3D3D985C8.jpeg

0A2E9259-B46E-44B2-9A01-8FEB8C132121.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 7

I wonder if that serial number 8 Ferrari was the one that Austin Clark had sitting in storage at the back of his museum in a tin building. He had one that was a low number cars so I am suspecting that this may be where it eventually wound up. I recall sliding open the door to that area once during one of his Iron Range Days ( to go out and look for parts) and a racoon scampered out of the front seat of the Ferrari. SO many good memories of days out at the museum and going to lunch at John Duck's restaurant.  Austin would comment when we got to the restaurant "first drink is on me but if you are age 12 or younger you have to sit at a table and can't belly up to the bar" By the time we had lunch and walked into the restaurant most of us looked pretty grubby from looking through parts to find something. I still have most all of what I found out there and bought - brass horns and lamps, a steering wheel from a Pierce Arrow truck, radiator and shell for late teens Locomobile and even a library table and huge oak china cabinet that stuff was displayed in.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Walt G said:

Nice they have a place to adore each other every year. Everyone has their own special taste in cars and what they don't like.

that includes era, color, body style, ability to get in and out of easily, I am going to stop while I can before I get a lot of people not liking my comments...........

My favorite Ferraris is the one a lot of Ferrari lovers don't like!!!  https://moneyinc.com/1956-ferrari-410-superamerica-carrozzeria-ghia/  

But I love the wrap-around windshield, and tailfins which were indicative of the era, and proof even Ferrari didn't come out of the 50's unscathed!!   (Probably the only V12 car with these two fifties styling icons?)

Craig

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

My favorite Ferraris is the one a lot of Ferrari lovers don't like!!!  https://moneyinc.com/1956-ferrari-410-superamerica-carrozzeria-ghia/  

But I love the wrap-around windshield, and tailfins which were indicative of the era, and proof even Ferrari didn't come out of the 50's unscathed!!   (Probably the only V12 car with these two fifties styling icons?)

Craig

I like everything except the grille/bumper treatment.

13 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

I like everything except the grille/bumper treatment.

I agree West , the egg crate grille is to "busy" to work styling wise with the rest of the "flowing" ( 1950s style) design. if that grill was just horizontal bars it would make that area seem "cleaner" styling wise. the bumpers also if the lost the vertical bits that hand down would work with the rest as well.

WG

12 hours ago, edinmass said:

I don’t understand all this post war stuff. I met some famous guy name Luigi, who is the first guy to import Ferraris in the United States. 

28678003-475C-4FAB-88EE-E1625C01378A.jpeg

23250EDD-7B93-43CC-884F-38E038109874.jpeg

B5BE2B77-CDC6-43F1-B0D8-5152C8DA96E0.jpeg

E9800BE0-484D-41E3-9465-125ED2394047.jpeg

892A51F1-D1E2-4901-A885-516D6DADB0BD.jpeg

FB42BBA9-344A-4231-B420-28235131C120.jpeg

8AA918BD-EC37-4666-859F-A8F3FE6DBEFE.jpeg

3F5333EF-1DF9-471C-9A1F-ABC01EEB1984.jpeg

290E4E35-2B2F-458D-8DF4-DC78FDF75B64.jpeg

Seriously?  I am guessing that is tongue in the cheek as I am sure you knew who Mr. Chinetti is!!!  His father was the real deal too with a distinguished history in racing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steve......I'm a dinosaur........my only background is pre war. I realized last night I had heard about him from Malcom Pray twenty years ago......but I was not familiar with him and his history with the car world. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tour, Ed. A very special collection from what you have shown.

Walt G. As a 24 year old when I was first invited to be a Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society Not only Vice President back in the day,

I cherished my time spent with "Austie" 

I am this year a 40 year Chowder member. He and his cars were amazing and his knowledge and memory was everything I read

about in my vintage automobile books and more, but in person. He was a truly exceptional inimitable man. He is sorely missed.

At the Chowder Christmas party this year I had the honor to gave a little speech from the podium to celebrate my 40 years and to toast him and of course Luigi, Vincent Sardi,

and named/included many of the many other great people for the newbies and more that were members over these past 40 years who are no longer with us.

Excuse me, Ed as I rambled a little off topic just now. Back to the the original post after a few CC's of course.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

Walt, the Ferrari Austin Clark had was 004, the second Ferrari ever built. Stan Nowac found it and sold it to Austin, they were good friends and sold a few other cars back & forth. Within a year Stan found 002, and sold it to a beer company owner. I got to see both 002 and 004 sitting side by side on the second floor of Del's Auto Body some where on Long Island. The yellow Mercedes that broke at Pebble Beach this past year was there also. The engine turned underside of the trunk was a great feature. Things you remember when you don't have a camera. What I remember about Ferrari numbers is that even numbered cars were race cars, odd numbered were road cars, someone can correct me if I got that wrong. 

Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, edinmass said:

This is serial number eight Ferrari, the eighth Ferrari ever built. It won Le Mans in 1949.  You could probably buy 20 Packard split windshield Dietrichs for the cost of this one car.  

489DC539-0DD6-48F3-BF07-DD0BF8643854.jpeg

444555B4-E6B5-49C2-A6E3-E0D37F7603A6.jpeg

770222EA-FA5A-423F-A8FE-E4A3D3D985C8.jpeg

0A2E9259-B46E-44B2-9A01-8FEB8C132121.jpeg

While this car with the last VIN digit being 8 after few zeros arguably put Ferrari on the map by winning 1st OA at Le Mans, at least in the International racing world, the chronological sequencing of the cars, both race and road derivatives, produced at the time isn’t quite that simple, as there were some others with “8” preceded with one or two zeros, not to mention some with various letter affixes or combinations of them after the numbers.

As for the value, the owner seems to have a quite extensive (and likely valuable ?) collection as is and could probably add any number of Dietrich Packards, should she decide to do so.

• Like 1

that building the L.I. Auto Museum was in is no longer, it was demolished within the past few years by the people who now own the property.  It was rusting out in the mid 1970s at the seams in the roof so if you were up in the roof area ( lots of parts stored there , stairs to get there were in the shop area at the NW corner at the rear of that buildings) in wet weather you got soaked . One of the parts was the hood for the Christie FWD taxi. The library table made of oak circa 1915 I have was in the front lobby through the doors you see on the right side after you entered , it was a place where brochures of local historic sites were placed for the taking.  I now use the table as my desk in my archives.  When the museum closed Austin had a wake for it, jazz band New Orleans style, and car lover and cartoonist Charles Addams showed up with an arm band on. Oh the stories I could tell..........

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Walt G said:

that building the L.I. Auto Museum was in is no longer, it was demolished within the past few years by the people who now own the property.  It was rusting out in the mid 1970s at the seams in the roof so if you were up in the roof area ( lots of parts stored there , stairs to get there were in the shop area at the NW corner at the rear of that buildings) in wet weather you got soaked . One of the parts was the hood for the Christie FWD taxi. The library table made of oak circa 1915 I have was in the front lobby through the doors you see on the right side after you entered , it was a place where brochures of local historic sites were placed for the taking.  I now use the table as my desk in my archives.  When the museum closed Austin had a wake for it, jazz band New Orleans style, and car lover and cartoonist Charles Addams showed up with an arm band on. Oh the stories I could tell..........

Took this photo in 2022

IMG_1646.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TTR said:

While this car with the last VIN digit being 8 after few zeros arguably put Ferrari on the map by winning 1st OA at Le Mans...

Somewhere in my photo files I might have a few shots when I did some (minor) work on this one long ago.

While it wouldn't have to have significant racing history, this represents one of very few Ferrari models I've lusted to have since my teen years, but... ☹️

A humorous encounter occurred at a farm produce stand which also has an ice cream/deli operation.  While enjoying an ice cream cone on a summer day at a picnic table at the front where cars pull up and park, I could hear but not see what was almost certainly an exotic sports car downshifting to turn into the driveway.  As it was a busy day, the only parking space was in front of where I sat.   A red Ferrari roadster pulled up, out stepped an archetypical sportsman CEO type: fit and trim, expensive casual outfit, tanned, prefect trim salt-'n-pepper hair, sunglasses, gentlemanly demeanor.   

Simultaneously, a stylishly well-dress lady in her early 60's was shepherding her grandchildren with ice cream cones to her Cadillac.  The Ferrari gentleman smiled mildly at her and said 'Hello'.  She melodiously replied "Hello, nice Mustang you're driving there."  in complete sincerity.  The look on his face was priceless, he was completely taken aback.   I had to avert my face so he couldn't see me trying to suppress my laughter...which burst out as soon as I was back to my car!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A humorous encounter occurred at a farm produce stand which also has an ice cream/deli operation.  While enjoying an ice cream cone on a summer day at a picnic table at the front where cars pull up and park, I could hear but not see what was almost certainly an exotic sports car downshifting to turn into the driveway.  As it was a busy day, the only parking space was in front of where I sat.   A red Ferrari roadster pulled up, out stepped an archetypical sportsman CEO type: fit and trim, expensive casual outfit, tanned, prefect trim salt-'n-pepper hair, sunglasses, gentlemanly demeanor.   

Simultaneously, a stylishly well-dress lady in her early 60's was shepherding her grandchildren with ice cream cones to her Cadillac.  The Ferrari gentleman smiled mildly at her and said 'Hello'.  She melodiously replied "Hello, nice Mustang you're driving there."  in complete sincerity.  The look on his face was priceless, he was completely taken aback.   I had to avert my face so he couldn't see me trying to suppress my laughter...which burst out as soon as I was back to my car!

I wonder which is truly more priceless? The car? Or that story? !!

• Like 1