The Car Culture is Alive and Well.....Just Different

kfle

So yesterday was the second time that I went to the Sarasota Cars and Coffee event at the University Town Center.  The event happens the second Saturday of every month year round here in Florida.  They fill all parking spaces up with 600 cars by 8:30am and have to turn people away.  There is no cost, except they recommend a $10 donation to the charity of the month and this month was a Toys for Tots toy drive.  The most amazing thing is the average age of the people that bring cars and the crowd!  I am about 50 years old and I feel old there.  I brought my Superformance Cobra (Yes it is not a 1965 original, but was factory built and licensed by Shelby in 2003) to the event and on one side of me I had a guy in his 40's with a 1980's Datsun pickup with a 1980's Honda motorcycle in the back, behind me I had a 1990's Infiniti sport coupe that was in primer as the 23 year old guy was working on it and to the right of me I had a 1960 Nash Metropolitan that a couple in their 30's owned.  

No cost, no registration for the event, no car club, no judging, just a lot of people showing up to show their love of the automobile.  Lots of spectators there as well and some of the most amazing conversations about cars that I have had lately at an event.  So many young people stopping by and talking to me about their projects and wanting to talk about V8 engines and performance.  Yes there were restomods, new exotic cars, street rods, rat rods, but mixed in you had the muscle cars, classic cars, and even some prewar.  That didnt matter though, because everyone was there to show their love and appreciation for cars and hang out with other people that cared about cars.  

The first picture here is one that someone posted on Facebook of me driving the Cobra out.  You can see the crowd and notice how they look much younger than what we always talk about at car events.  The rest are some other pictures including an aerial shot that shows the partial number of cars at the monthly event.  May be an image of 5 people, car and outdoors

May be an image of 3 people and carMay be an image of 2 people, car and outdoors

May be an image of 11 people, car and outdoors

May be an image of car

This Rat Rod was built by a guy in his 30'sMay be an image of 12 people and outdoors

This was his wife answering questions about itMay be an image of 7 people and outdoors

Of course there were the exotics

May be an image of 10 people, car and outdoors

Some guy drove his $2.8 million Bugatti Chiron to the event and his car guy that came in another car brought the rope to rope the car off 🙂

May be an image of 12 people, car and road

May be an image of road and text that says 'Photo by Gary James utc. CARS FFEE EVERY SECOND SATURDAY 8AM-10AM 8AM-'

The younger people love their earlier European and Japanese cars.

May be an image of 8 people, car and outdoors

A younger guy bringing his dad in his older Ford Mustang.

May be an image of 7 people, car and road

Edited by kfle (see edit history)
  • Like 16

Looks like a great turnout and there were a ton of different cars there.

The Datsun pickup that was next to you was about a 1964, far older than the 1972 Datsun PL521 pickup I used to own.

• Like 1

Kfle,

Sarasota has always been a place for BIG Car Evemts.   When we lived in St. Petersburg, annually we would go to Sarasota for the

Devereaux Classic Car Show with about 2000 cars some years.    Lots of fun stuff to see and admire.   The show started as a Packard Show

at Devereaux's home but grew to the Go Cart Track, then the Fairgrounds, then the Sarasota Mall, The Venice Airport and on and on.  It was a

January must do event and it was only 50 miles away.

I woud not recognize you driving that Cobra.   Looked like a tall skinny guy with a little gray facial hair.  Comgratulations on that restoration.

The rat rod truck wiht the big wheels and tires, looked like a road hazard with no visability for the driver.   Only thing it needed for total blindness

for the driver would have been Side Mounted spares discussed in another thread.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Kfle,

Sarasota has always been a place for BIG Car Evemts.   When we lived in St. Petersburg, annually we would go to Sarasota for the

Devereaux Classic Car Show with about 2000 cars some years.    Lots of fun stuff to see and admire.   The show started as a Packard Show

at Devereaux's home but grew to the Go Cart Track, then the Fairgrounds, then the Sarasota Mall, The Venice Airport and on and on.  It was a

January must do event and it was only 50 miles away.

I woud not recognize you driving that Cobra.   Looked like a tall skinny guy with a little gray facial hair.  Comgratulations on that restoration.

The rat rod truck wiht the big wheels and tires, looked like a road hazard with no visability for the driver.   Only thing it needed for total blindness

for the driver would have been Side Mounted spares discussed in another thread.

Interestingly enough on that Rat Rod, I was driving to the event at about 715 in the morning and that Rat Rod was right in front of me making the turn down the road to the event.  I quickly got around him as I didnt want to be hit!  I dont know how people are able to drive those.  

22 minutes ago, zepher said:

Looks like a great turnout and there were a ton of different cars there.

The Datsun pickup that was next to you was about a 1964, far older than the 1972 Datsun PL521 pickup I used to own.

That Datsun was beauty.  Here is a picture of the motorcycle in the back of it.  May be an image of 3 people, motorcycle and outdoors

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

When I first read the authors description, I wasn't expecting to see lots of gray/no hair people. There were a lot of old farts there.👏

The ones that were there were around some of the older cars that I shared pictures of, overall not many in proportion.  Not a single grey hair in the other areas such as these.  I was curating the earlier pictures to show some cars that the people on the forum may like 🙂 I could go on and on, but you get the idea with the type of crowd that was there.  

May be an image of 5 people, car and road

May be an image of 4 people, car and road

May be an image of 6 people, people standing, car and road

May be an image of 15 people, car and road

May be an image of 9 people, car and outdoors

May be an image of 10 people, car and road

May be an image of 12 people, car and roadMay be an image of 10 people, car and outdoors

May be an image of 9 people, car and outdoors

May be an image of 8 people, car and road

\May be an image of 10 people, car, palm trees and road

May be an image of 10 people and outdoors

May be an image of 2 people, car and outdoors

May be an image of 9 people, car and roadMay be an image of 7 people, car and road

Edited by kfle (see edit history)
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Looks like a mid 1960's Honda Super Hawk. Decent little bikes. I always went for Norton and BSA twins in my riding days. But these are quite nice as well. 

I would guess a 305 Super Hawk? I wanted one of them when I was a kid.

Although I am very much pro Pre WWII era for vehicles and am not at all interested in the late model "boy racer" ( that's a phrase British friends use mostly) flying door stop styled cars. I am encouraged to see such a good reception by younger people -  at least they like things with wheels and are not staring at a screen to "have an experience" with a car . It's like looking in a magazine at a photo. They are walking around and seeing the cars from all angles , their shape in person. It gives them perspective.  This is why I love the older cars, so much more perspective , the form with  flat and rounded planes in harmony of design. It is why I research and write stories about those for a bit better understanding.

Any dose of car experience from major exhibits, shows, concours to cruise nights are worthy - gets people to experience the real deal in person. Kinda like listening to a CD for music and attending a concert in person. Same music but totally different experience.

SO although 99% of what is shown here isn't my thing at all styling or power wise ( I favor running boards, somewhat perpendicular design, and straight - in line engines) I do appreciate what is going on and pictured here. Thank you.

Some years ago there was a popular phrase that has now diminished and is not used much - it needs to be revived big time  - TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW. 

Hopefully with the pandemic behind us (?) we can all do that and even more important see if you can take a kid and their folks for a ride in your pre  1960 car. It is probably something their parents have never had the experience of . 😄

• Like 12

Walt G, as usual, hit the nail right on the head.  Yes, most 'cars and coffee' are mostly newer cars but it is important that those of us with gray/no hair get our older cars out there to be seen.  Every time I have shown up with my '34 there has been at least one younger person for whom that is a first experience with a truly old car and who expressed an interest in getting into that part of the hobby.  Can't expect them to get into older stuff if they never have a chance to see some.  Last cars and coffee I went to was a pretty good mix albeit mostly 60s and newer but the guy that brought out his '29 Packard roadster had a crowd of young and old around his (admittedly gorgeous) car all morning.  Car guys (and gals) are car guys, be it rice rockets or sleeve valve cars.  We are all ambassadors for the hobby so do your part to keep it going.  Maybe you will also find a new interest area. (That Honda bike from the '60s shown above brought back lots of memories!!)

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Walt G said:

Although I am very much pro Pre WWII era for vehicles and am not at all interested in the late model "boy racer" ( that's a phrase British friends use mostly) flying door stop styled cars. I am encouraged to see such a good reception by younger people -  at least they like things with wheels and are not staring at a screen to "have an experience" with a car . It's like looking in a magazine at a photo. They are walking around and seeing the cars from all angles , their shape in person. It gives them perspective.  This is why I love the older cars, so much more perspective , the form with  flat and rounded planes in harmony of design. It is why I research and write stories about those for a bit better understanding.

Any dose of car experience from major exhibits, shows, concours to cruise nights are worthy - gets people to experience the real deal in person. Kinda like listening to a CD for music and attending a concert in person. Same music but totally different experience.

SO although 99% of what is shown here isn't my thing at all styling or power wise ( I favor running boards, somewhat perpendicular design, and straight - in line engines) I do appreciate what is going on and pictured here. Thank you.

Some years ago there was a popular phrase that has now diminished and is not used much - it needs to be revived big time  - TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW. 

Hopefully with the pandemic behind us (?) we can all do that and even more important see if you can take a kid and their folks for a ride in your pre  1960 car. It is probably something their parents have never had the experience of . 😄

Agreed Walt and you know where my primary passion lies as well.  One thing I would also add besides bringing a kid to a car show, is that the people that own pre war cars need to take their cars to events such as this which is where the younger people are at.  We spent too much time lamenting why the young people dont come to the early car show, club event, or tour and instead we need to spend more time bringing our early cars to these events.  

Unfortunately, I dont have any pre war cars down here in Florida otherwise I would as it would be a lot of fun!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

Walt G, as usual, hit the nail right on the head.  Yes, most 'cars and coffee' are mostly newer cars but it is important that those of us with gray/no hair get our older cars out there to be seen.  Every time I have shown up with my '34 there has been at least one younger person for whom that is a first experience with a truly old car and who expressed an interest in getting into that part of the hobby.  Can't expect them to get into older stuff if they never have a chance to see some.  Last cars and coffee I went to was a pretty good mix albeit mostly 60s and newer but the guy that brought out his '29 Packard roadster had a crowd of young and old around his (admittedly gorgeous) car all morning.  Car guys (and gals) are car guys, be it rice rockets or sleeve valve cars.  We are all ambassadors for the hobby so do your part to keep it going.  Maybe you will also find a new interest area. (That Honda bike from the '60s shown above brought back lots of memories!!)

Spot on!  Meet them where they are and you will be surprised how much interest there will be.

• Like 2

I hope everyone reading this really takes it to heart and meets and greets the "newbies" and even long term collectors or car people ( both male and female - older cars aren't gender specialized) with open arms. Don't go overboard BUT at least acknowledge they exist! Don't roll you eyes if they ask questions either, be polite and answer the questions - you were in their situation once as well. This is especially true for orphan makes of cars that went out of production 80 + years ago.  If they are curious enough to ask a question politely then be the ambassador as stated above to provide the answer.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kfle said:

We spent too much time lamenting why the young people dont come to the early car show, club event, or tour and instead we need to spend more time bringing our early cars to these events.

A friend attended the Power Big Meet in Vasteras, Sweden--

a show much bigger than Hershey, with 7000 antique cars--

and found that unmodified American antiques have a huge

following there, including with younger adults.  Here is a picture

he took:

Sweden Power Big Meet 1.jpg

• Like 2

Our local monthly Cars and Coffee in Wilmington NC is the first Saturday of each month. It appears to be very similar to the one in Sarasota, perhaps a little bit smaller, perhaps a few less high end exotic cars, and missing the Palm Trees. We have a number of our local AACA Chapter members who attend with both Pre-War and Post War original antique vehicles. They are very well received. Almost every month, I have at least one young person who is interested enough in my 1937 Buick Model 80C that they end up behind the wheel for a photo opportunity. I have also signed up multiple new AACA members at Cars and Coffee each year for the past several years. I signed up two new AACA members at the December Cars and Coffee.

While most of the younger attendees don't own typical AACA vehicles, you would be surprised by how many do. Lots of those who don't yet own antique vehicles likely will when finances and life allows. If you treat them as you would any other potential new AACA member, you would be surprised how many new club members you will attract.  Even those who don't want to join an antique car club at the moment, likely will in future years. It is important to treat other car folks with respect, whether they have your personal favorite style of car, or something you don't personally care for.

DSC_1366 Cropped.jpg

DSC_1438.JPG

DSC_1440.JPG

DSC_1443.JPG

• Like 4

The motorcycle is a circa 1965 Honds CB 160. Similar to the Superhawk, which I also had, but almost half the displacement.  I had a CB 160, it was  my first real motorcycle. 

I rode that bike everywhere, it was freeway legal, but just barely. It was best for short sections linking back roads when necessary. Great bike, all my Hondas were, I had several more bigger twins and a couple of 750 fours. So much fun and adventure for so little money. 

• Like 2

These little Hondas were amazingly tough and reliable, I'll admit that all my Japanese bikes were much less trouble than my Harleys. One of the things that is nice about these smaller bikes was that there wasn't a lot of ego tied up with them. We rode them everywhere, once I got to the 300cc level and bigger, I had a bike that could go down any highway. I spent my time riding, not profiling. The whole ego show with some HD riders gets awful tiresome. I loved HDs and I had three of them, all customized. A  Sportster chopper, a Sportster Cafe Racer, and a stripped down Electra Glide.  I rode those HDs just like I rode my Japanese bikes. After 35 years, I gave up riding 15 years ago, after I had some serious back injuries, that were unrelated to riding. Oddly enough, I don't miss it anymore.

Saw a video online of a "bomb show", US cars late 30s to mid 50s, often loaded/overloaded with accesories both factory and aftermarket, often minor mods, lowering, etc. But usually original drivetrain and sometimes bone stock.  A few observations on this movement:

Thes cars are usually not far from stock, restoration in the future is not a stretch unlike a street rod or resto rod.

The movement has no problem with sedans.

The movement will keep demand for parts to service on these cars up, directly helping the owner of a stock vehicle.

These guys don't seem like bad custodians for these cars, many seem whistle clean.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Thank you for posting this Kfle, I completely agree.

Came across this beauty at a recent visit to the Pavillions in Scottsdale, it was the last thing I expected to see after dinner. Everything from 1920s to modern transformer Camaros.  

Alive and well indeed!

B4B4FEA5-3D77-4262-93B4-E839654D343D.jpeg

60BDA6A8-C04B-48B1-A608-B38CE9CB61C8.jpeg

D9DA08B5-CC71-4FA2-9322-72E250FDAE2E.jpeg

19554883-5FFF-43C6-90D0-0C9DBB804811.jpeg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1