Car Club Declining Membership

MarkV

8 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

We might have been there at the same time. i was in Chicago Region from 74 to 78. Nationally licensed Tech inspector. 

I was gone by 70. Got married, had one more year of college and not enough money to spend on racing. We still went to a few races and helped a few young friends that needed cheap help. A cold beer was the usual pay back then in our level of friends. 
dave s 

• Like 1

As one of those "younger" car guys obsessed with early automobiles (yes, we are out there), I can offer the following tips:

- The number one most important thing is to be sure members can join and renew online. If I have to send you a check, or mail a printed form, or scan and email a printed form, I'm probably not joining and I know that many, if not most, of my generation and younger do not have actual checkbooks.

- An active online presence is key. A Facebook page is good, but an Instagram page, TikTok, etc. would be most helpful.

- Make your publications top-notch and available digitally. 

- Have a membership coordinator reach out to new members as soon as possible. Show people they are valued and they will stick around.

Edited by zdillinger (see edit history)
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, SC38dls said:

I forgot one

IITUWUBMACBCC

its a club I’ve been a member of for over 60 years. I’ve been to many meetings with a bunch of great guys from when I was 18 thru this year. We meet at least every other month and have a great time. Does anyone else in other areas know what this club is and are you a member? 
dave s 

edit ps- it’s an acronym if that helps. You all were throwing around so many letters I thought it time for you to figure this out. 

My error, should have posted this in the other thread about which clubs you belong too. That will teach me to read too many of these threads in a row. 
dave s 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

EIYDTMIWBYACBCC

I’ll pay your dues to join the club if you do the same for another guy younger than you. That way we will have new blood coming in to this great club and they may be better able to drive us home. 
dave s 

10 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

We might have been there at the same time. i was in Chicago Region from 74 to 78. Nationally licensed Tech inspector. 

Thats where my Lola was first raced. A white T492 S2000. I don't have the first owners name at hand , but it is the log book.

• Like 1

It's a pretty decent car. Not used for wheel to wheel racing for a long time. Around 30 races in the log book.  Auto X in California from about 1990 - late 90's, then just a back up  / spare parts if needed car for the owners highly developed 2 nd. 492.

It's probably going to stay an Auto - X  , every now and then track day car in my ownership. Retired and I am afraid not the necessary $ to run it in Vintage S2. 

Walt, I apologize for getting this off track ( no pun intended) but the SCCA was similar to other clubs in that it is declining in membership or was when I left and that was due to snobby members outnumbering the great friendly members. I throughly enjoyed many members some very well off and some poorer than me at a young age. On the track the snub factor was eliminated as it was individual driving and mechanical skills that proved how good the car and you were. 

Peter - Even If You Don’t Tell Me I Will Buy You A Cold Beer Car Club. 
the Y and U being interchangeable. 
dave s 

Now back to the original thread discussion of declining club membership. 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Walt G said:

OK the racing commentary is neat but this is about Car Club declining membership..................................

Sorry Walt. I just mentioned it as plymouthcranbrook may have known my car when it was new. 

As several others have said , it often boils down to the money. Not just the car itself, but the entire situation that is needed to support a vintage car.  I have said it before, the cars themselves are reasonably easy  / affordable.  It's the property cost situation that is an unwinnable situation for so many.

Without a decent sized , secure , warm shop , vintage cars are a non starter. And the cost of such a situation is a huge barrier to younger people in a lot of the urban parts of North America. 

Also a specific barrier to those of us North of the border is Club dues cost. The Canadian price is always higher than the Domestic members price due to the very high postage costs for the magazines. Those of us in Canada often face lower apples to apples incomes compared to our U.S. counterparts, somewhat higher taxes, a much higher cost of living  and a very weak currency. Things like Club membership is often one of the first things to be sacrificed to keep the old car dream alive.

Why can't clubs offer digital membership for those outside the cheap postage rate U.S. , and then pass on the cost saving through lower club membership costs. ?

I was in the local club, held every office and was the editor of the newsletter. Club decided to move the annual car show location to an airport in another town, it was dead within 5 years. I quit and have lived on the memories of the show from 1961-1995. You really can enjoy the hobby without being a member of a local club. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is my take.

Clubs have their place and are a great way to get access to car restoration resources like a library and other members with knowledge. There is also the community aspect of a club including local and national tours, shows, outings, food, parties, etc.  

Declining memberships may be true but I don't think the hobby is diminishing. Participation is simply different.  This forum is a perfect example.  Not to mention competition between the clubs and other hobbies.  You can only spread yourself so thin.

YOUNGER MEMBERS:  I originally joined the AACA in my mid 20s. Truth: I was the youngest person in the local club until my mid 40s.  Sure, it makes sense to recruit younger members. Reality is that regardless of generation, lack of funds and garage space, and the demands of a new family (soccer practice, school, date nights, etc.) and other commitments restrict younger people from participating.

TECHNOLOGY:  Even within this forum there are complaints about technology.  Social media is here to stay and many regional clubs have embraced it for their primary form of communication between members.  Also, due to technology, swap meet participation has dwindled since the growth in popularity of Ebay. 

ATTITUDES:   One sure fire way to lose local members is "good old boys" chasing younger members away. These curmudgeons who complain about everything including: "used cars", "modified cars", "over restoration", "no restoration", "doesnt count if you didnt restore it yourself!", "the good old days", "we've always done it this way", etc.  (Sound familiar?). Some people just need to give it a rest and let people enjoy the hobby their own way.  To each his own.

The naysayers have been screaming about the car hobby's demise for years. They are wrong.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, zdillinger said:

As one of those "younger" car guys obsessed with early automobiles (yes, we are out there), I can offer the following tips:

- The number one most important thing is to be sure members can join and renew online. If I have to send you a check, or mail a printed form, or scan and email a printed form, I'm probably not joining and I know that many, if not most, of my generation and younger do not have actual checkbooks.

- An active online presence is key. A Facebook page is good, but an Instagram page, TikTok, etc. would be most helpful.

- Make your publications top-notch and available digitally. 

- Have a membership coordinator reach out to new members as soon as possible. Show people they are valued and they will stick around.

Thank you for you input, and provides excellent insight for 'old line' car clubs to start administering if they don't already, although 'old skool' must be kept in place for those who are still uncomfortable going online, or only pay by cash or check.

Online registration should also be extended to annual meets besides membership renewal, considering one planning such a trip will most likely registering for a room at the host hotel online.   

Car-club-run forums are more intimate, exclusive and better moderated than the general social media sites that cater to everything from cars to football to Parenting 101.  My personal experience is there are far too many sub-groups on Fecesbook for one particular make or year of car or truck.

Craig

3 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Car-club-run forums are more intimate, exclusive and better moderated than the general social media sites that cater to everything from cars to football to Parenting 101.  My personal experience is there are far too many sub-groups on Fecesbook for one particular make or year of car or truck.

Craig

Unquestionably true, but if the goal is to get more people interested in the club, marque, era, etc. then we need to put content out where people are. If they aren't already members, they won't know to look for, join, or even have credentials to join that style of forum. I'm not suggesting that we host full-on tech sessions on Facebook, but short videos/posts/etc. about the marque or car in question would get more attention. I'm thinking broad, but shallow, distribution rather than deep-dive, marque specific stuff.

On 11/14/2022 at 11:37 PM, edinmass said:

The American car culture that dominated the 1910-1970 decades died a death from 1000 cuts. Oil embargo, inflation, insurance expense exploding, advancing technology making the shady tree mechanic fade away, lack of brand loyalty, the list is endless. Just add Father Time in the equation and you see what we have today. Very few teens are car crazy. We drove over to a girls house to hit on her in my day……….and the car was part of the experience……….today you can face time her, and don’t leave the family room. Thr digital world is consuming time, money, and in many instances creativity. People don’t have time to do normal around the house activities……..and cars demand time & money. Hobby isn’t going to die or fade away, but it’s gonna change. As a dinosaur…….I resent the change. For me, it’s all come full circle. My car experience that I desire today is just the pure experience of driving. It’s where I started as a 13 year old with his first car………..trophies, shiny paint, and trailers were all things I desired when young and broke. I achieved them, and got tired of them, now I’m back to buying barn/garage finds, making them run, and enjoying them as is. 

I am rejoining the hobby as a 61 year old.  All I care about is the experience of driving vintage cars and trucks and meeting and interacting with other members of the hobby.  I agree with Ed’s statement above 100%.  I love a beautifully restored classic automobile but I could absolutely care less about 100 pt restorations and trailer queens.   An older amateur restoration still owned by the guy that finished it impresses me greatly.  I’m most impressed by Ed’s 1917 White and other similar survivor cars which are running again flawlessly after much attention to making them mechanically sound.  I find the process absolutely fascinating.  All of my favorite AACA forum posts and topics are the threads associated with bringing vehicles back to life.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kar3516 said:

I am rejoining the hobby as a 61 year old.  All I care about is the experience of driving vintage cars and trucks and meeting and interacting with other members of the hobby.  I agree with Ed’s statement above 100%.  I love a beautifully restored classic automobile but I could absolutely care less about 100 pt restorations and trailer queens.   An older amateur restoration still owned by the guy that finished it impresses me greatly.  I’m most impressed by Ed’s 1917 White and other similar survivor cars which are running again flawlessly after much attention to making them mechanically sound.  I find the process absolutely fascinating.  All of my favorite AACA forum posts and topics are the threads associated with bringing vehicles back to life.  

We all look at things differently. I'm equally impressed by the restored car that was owner done or owner paid for that is FLAWLESS, hats off to the skilled people hired to perform the work.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

We all look at things differently. I'm equally impressed by the restored car that was owner done or owner paid for that is FLAWLESS, hats off to the skilled people hired to perform the work.

My use of the words “I couldn’t care less…” probably came across as harsh.  I’m not trying to demean flawless restorations or the people who accomplish them in any way.  We all have our favorite aspects of the hobby.  I just meant to say that what moves me most is watching a long dormant auto brought back to life

• Like 1

My son that is about to turn 31, had little to no interest in my 77 trans am. I kinda thought he would help with the 5 yr restoration I did but not a minutes time. This past summer I let him take it out for a drive. He fell in love with the car! Its kinda bad because the last several months I have had almost zero seat time behind the wheel as he wants to drive when we go out. Hopefully my second one will be finished soon and we can each have one to cruise together in. 

I asked him the other day on his thoughts on old cars. He has zero interest in anything pre war. Thinks they look ok but thats about it. He likes muscle cars, but his 'dream car' would be a 06sh GTO. His perspective (and I think he is right) most people his age are into the tuner cars. My grandson who is 10, thinks my 'hot rod' is cool, likes to go for a ride in it but would rather spend his time on the computer.

I think younger people are more into social media than actual face to face with a real person, not a surprise that club membership across the board is down.

• Like 4

We gave up on one club when one speaker was talking about retirement planning and I think the next was estate planning. It sent the message that we don’t really have any inspiration what to do at all these meetings we feel compelled to arrange. The most fun we had recently was when a small group of us arranged a weekend tour, one person brought his barbecue and we pot lucked, tried each other’s drinks of choice, threw in money for the coffee run and ate in luxury in the motel parking lot. 

• Like 5

On 11/16/2022 at 9:21 AM, B Jake Moran said:

Disagree there.  Car meets in general should yield a "profit."  That profit helps sustain the club.  

I'd love to hear more. Maybe you do not hold shows in populated areas of high cost like our local clubs have. Are you adding in the hotel or other venue room fees? Like hospitality, banquets, etc? We do not hold shows just for locals, but expect to draw from a larger area, therefore hotel rates affect the amount of money entrants have left to pay fees of the show. We have several shows planned for next year, and making a profit is not in our spread sheet totals at this time. Yes, it should be there, but how hard can we squeeze participants? What source of revenue are we overlooking?

Over 20 years ago I was helping run a national club's national. We were hosting the year after the same show lost around $30K! We did OK, turning a small profit, whew! But a national meet is quite different than a local/regional meet.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 10:04 AM, zdillinger said:

First you need to join the club, because I have no idea how to Instagram or TikTok and deleted my Facebook account due to political crap. I'm not saying you are wrong, I think YOU ARE RIGHT!

I did figure how to post YouTube videos. Now to figure how to make videos worth posting of repairing old car assemblies.:D

• Like 1

When I first joined the Vermont Auto Enthusiasts (VAE) club as a teenager, I was quite at home hanging out with really old people in their 30's.  I still carry some of those friendships today.  Another great benefit was that their cast off's were my gold mine.  I was able to collect this and that and get an entire car put together.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

First you need to join the club, because I have no idea how to Instagram or TikTok and deleted my Facebook account due to political crap. I'm not saying you are wrong, I think YOU ARE RIGHT!

I did figure how to post YouTube videos. Now to figure how to make videos worth posting of repairing old car assemblies.:D

If I can do anything to help, please say the word.

9 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

how hard can we squeeze participants? What source of revenue are we overlooking?

And there it is! Finally said out loud. And one of the reasons for declining membership and the primary reason for my personal decision to let club membership lapse.

At first there was the excitement of "big time" car shows and the feelings of belonging and inclusion. Over time the repetition of the shows all following the same template began to wear thin. Then the over priced and under performing banquets were skipped along with the over priced "host " hotels.

Finally the feelings of being used began to creep in. Rather than feeling I was part of the event, a player, I realized I was only seen as a profit center to be further squeezed for more nickles and dimes.

I don't pretend to know what the answer to declining membership is but clearly the present formula is not performing.

I have been told that ANY more negative remarks from me will result in my permanent expulsion. Extinguished.

I'm hoping not but this post may be my swan song.

If so.............."Well boys, it's been good to know you"............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ok I’ll be the dummy that says he is totally social media ignorant. I have no idea how to post or basically what tic-tic, instagramming is or for that matter how to find anything on Facebook. If clubs are going to have these things they better have a “how too” posted somewhere that is easy to find and understand. Otherwise you are going to loose the older crowd that just doesn’t understand the technology. We grew up with 45 records we had to put a plastic ring in to play on our parents record player for god sake’s.  It also can’t be written in progamizee language. In other words it has to be accurate and simple, clearly seen to a non user. 
Attention span to get old people (like me) is about 7 seconds (fact- proven in many marketing studies) and even less for younger people. If that were the case the club may see increased usage of their social media efforts.  AACA needs this for their current Facebook page.
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I agree with Dave (SC38) 100%. I have no idea how to do any of that stuff either, and no desire to do so. I look at this forum as my 'club'. I can peruse at my will, interact with others, whether they interact with me is another matter, LOL. I feel I can keep up with the old car hobby on a daily basis, and get to learn about a lot of cars I would otherwise probably have neve heard about. I can attend a 'meeting' any time of the day, for as long or short as I want to.  What few members I have met personally have turned out to be great guys, and hopefully will meet more in the future. 

When I got my real estate license 8 or 9 years ago my boss at the time signed me up on FB and Linkden. I dont think I have ever used the latter and wouldnt know how to get on, I have been on FB a few times, but its probably been 2 years since my last visit. My complaint and one that guys on another forum complain about is that the content seems to move too fast and goes away too quickly. Its like someone has a thought then move on to the next subject. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Nothing like a $50.00 barely warm rubber chicken dinner.

I agree completely. I haven't participated in any of our club banquets for about 20 years. There are plenty of places to get a good steak dinner for way less money, and not have to rub knees and bang elbows at a table for eight with ten people packed around it.

Dany

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

Then the over priced and under performing banquets were skipped along with the over priced "host " hotels.

1 hour ago, Larry Schramm said:

Nothing like a $50.00 barely warm rubber chicken dinner.

1 hour ago, 54Coupe said:

I agree completely. I haven't participated in any of our club banquets for about 20 years. There are plenty of places to get a good steak dinner for way less money... 

I agree with all of you.  I've been to a few banquets;

they're fun if you know some people, and they are a 

good way to get to know others.  But for $50, $55, or

$60, we should be having Lobster Thermidor or Filet Mignon,

not mediocre food that would cost far less elsewhere.

Can you imagine a husband and wife taking 2 teenagers

and paying $200 for chicken and mashed potatoes?

Many more people would participate if costs were worthwhile.

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I agree with all of you.  I've been to a few banquets;

they're fun if you know some people, and they are a 

good way to get to know others.  But for $50, $55, or

$60, we should be having Lobster Thermidor or Filet Mignon,

not mediocre food that would cost far less elsewhere.

That's the cool thing about the Buzzard's Breath Region. Our pizza dinners are either free or $5.00. Bring your own drinks sometimes. Our membership fee is marginal, so marginal that I forget what I paid. We have some really fun members thanks to the original crazy Board that started that region.

On another note, my Northern Neck Region has annual Christmas Dinners at a reasonable cost. It's free!! We make enough money off of our annual car show to pay for our members. We also have weekly wednesday breakfasts that are cool, plus when the weather is right, we might go to a member's garage and help repair their broken vehicles. What's not to like?

Car Clubs are what you make it, just think positive.

Wayne

• Like 10

6 hours ago, R W Burgess said:

wednesday breakfasts that are cool, plus when the weather is right, we might go to a member's garage and help repair their broken vehicles. What's not to like?

That Wednesday part. Not for the working crowd. Aleinates most people under 65.;)

• Like 1