AACA Library Needs Your Help-Ford Model A Won't Start

Steve Moskowitz

One of the things entrusted to Chris Ritter was getting a Model A ready for sale at the flea market.  We are asking $5,000.  However, despite it running when he took it home it would not start when he went to load it to come back here.  It is sitting in a trailer at national headquarters.  If anyone is able to come by here before Monday and help us get it running we would be indebted to you.  If not, Ed Minnie has graciously agreed to come over here when he gets in town and get the car running.  Be a nice thing to do to honor Chris as the proceeds benefit the library.  We have tools, no time and I have never touched a Model A Ford in my life and now is not the time!

• Like 1

I wish I were close enough to take a look. When my Model A's don't want to start it's either a plugged fuel filter/line or a point file needs to be run thru the contacts 90% of the time. That is assuming the engine turns over and it has gas in the tank! Good luck getting it started, no doubt it's a simple fix. 

Any photos of the car?

• Like 2

When you say it will not start are you saying that the car is totally dead or will it turn over? If it turns over as pkhammer points out, Model A's have gravity feed and the fuel line can get plugged from rust or other, (gas tank sealer) debris. Are you getting spark to the point's? Easy enough to test. Point gap should be .018 to .022. I'm assuming Chris knows the starting procedure for a Model A. The "pop out switch" must be pushed in after the key is turned off, to shut off the engine. If the switch was not locked when he shut the car off the circuit remains hot and he might have cooked the coil or the hot wire to the coil. Keep us informed. I would love to help, but I'm not arriving in HERSHEY until Tuesday.

If it doesn’t get taken care of before hand, I have way more spaces than I need and am right next to a bunch of other model A guys, would be more than happy to give it space and wrench time during the swap meet if it got dropped in the chocolate field.  I will even run out and get some crown and a chair to help Ed supervise the operation. 

Sorry to hear about Chris Ritters passing. Isn't there a local Model A Club in the area. I'm sure if someone places a call to the Club you can get someone to help start the car.

We are most indebted to Jeff and Devon Hammers who spent yesterday afternoon chasing down a multitude of gremlins with our Model A.  This car had decided to trick everyone with what looked like a perfectly good battery cable but it was not.  The car now does everything but run. No compression and obviously some stuck valves.  It ran fine several months ago when Chris drove it into the trailer to take home and work on it.  It still is for sale and we will reduce the price to $4500 if someone wants to grab a bargain...new battery and new battery cable!!!  contact me at 717-350-5484 if interested.

Battery cable looked fine, both ends tight and clean but must have had bad corrosion inside. It just would not pass current, even when shorted directly across the battery terminals. Only a very small spark. Changed the cable and she spun over like there was no compression.  Turned out there wasn't.  Still a good deal at $4500. What's a few stuck valves among friends?

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

If he makes an offer will you have to check with your manager?

You mean the AACA President?  Or even higher, the 

members themselves?

No, we can trust Steve to do an excellent job!

And many thanks to whoever donated the Ford Model A.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

You mean the AACA President?  Or even higher, the 

members themselves?

No, we can trust Steve to do an excellent job!

And many thanks to whoever donated the Ford Model A.

Humor…he references every time one is negotiating with a car salesman part of the dance he must check with the sales manager…🤓

On 10/1/2022 at 9:26 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Thanks John just a wee bit busy these days.  I will get them at some point.  It is a four door sedan

When it comes to Model A, there's four-doors and then there's four-doors - something like 16 different body style numbers.

I met with Steve Monday afternoon and purchased the Model A. It's a 1929 60-C Steel Blind Back Fordor Sedan in pretty decent driver condition that appears to be an older amateur restoration. I fully believe the car was run on some old varnished gasoline this past summer and now it has some stuck valves. This might be a relatively easy operation or possibly a real PITA. I hope to be able to get some work done to it this Fall.

Thank you to Steve and all of the volunteers that make the Fall Hershey Meet happen. My hat is off to you all!!

Edited by pkhammer
bad wording (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I have been wanting to see what the model A was like! I kept quiet because I figured there may have been some good reasons for not putting too much out on the internet, and I was too far away to be involved.

It looks wonderful! I hope you enjoy it for many years!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

Everybody likes a photo, right?

I can't seem to stay away from these things, maybe because they're a lot like me. Common, simple and cheap! 😁

Pretty sweet.  It's just my opinion but I think 2-windows are "classier" looking than 3-windows.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pkhammer said:

I met with Steve Monday afternoon and purchased the Model A. It's a 1929 60-C Steel Blind Back Fordor Sedan in pretty decent driver condition that appears to be an older amateur restoration. I fully believe the car was run on some old varnished gasoline this past summer and now it has some stuck valves. This might be a relatively easy operation or possibly a real PITA. I hope to be able to get some work done to it this Fall.

Thank you to Steve and all of the volunteers that make the Fall Hershey Meet happen. My hat is off to you all!!

Fantastic!  I’m going to dog you to get it on the road, versus the roadster that..well, you know, has been a nice paperweight for a while!  (And I know I have little room to talk when it comes to non-running cars!)