Inspiration needed - first vintage car

TGvest

Hi

I am looking at buying my first vintage car soon, and currently cannot decide what to get.

Ideally I want a car, which is
1. Fun to drive

2. Can be taken on weekend trips

3. Perhaps a bit of hp ;)

I have looked at models like
- Austin Healy 3000, which I find extremely cool, my main reservation is if it is too much of a once a month car, that is fun that one day a month only, and for short trips.

- C2 corvette, I always loved this since playing Gran Tourismo 
- Porsche 944 Turbo, I like its distint look, and it has a bit of horsepower

- Jaguar E, just a beauty!
- Mercedes 560 SL - a nice touring car, but a little conservative, and "common"

I know the cars are a bit all over the place, but for different reasons I think each of them cool, and would be happy with them. 
My mian concern is just getting a car which I find fun, and can be used a bit more than on a rare occasion, without worrying I have to maintain it for weeks after ,while by no means not being a daily beater.

Edited by TGvest (see edit history)

We get these questions quite a bit.   Everyone will end up giving you similar advice:  Buy the best car you can afford.   It is harder and harder to find skilled mechanics and parts.  Pick something with parts availability and club support.  

Good news is that everything on your list is popular and supported.    The Mercedes & 944 will be the cheapest, unless you are cool with a late series 2+2 XKE.    I see a broad price swing in prices there also.   An early E type can easily tickle 200k for a good one.   A really nice 3000 is not a cheap car.

Personally, go with the Vette.   Lots of parts, choices and relatively inexpensive.    Understand that engine options, paperwork and condition can swing prices from 30K to 300K.   Learn the car, join the club, etc.

• Like 6

TGvest,  All nice cars. I have a 1987 560 SL in addition to a 1940 Chevy. Have owned the SL since 1995, 2nd owner. It has 140k+ miles. It is great fun to drive, especially with the top down and has been easy to maintain. It’s my daily driver and easily gets up to 90 mph on the highway, although I usually cruise at 70-80. I bought it because it still had the unique look different from all of the other cars. Still true today. Good luck with your searchFFDA1705-89AB-46C8-8DAB-9099116E8051.jpeg.373a6e158d86cb48d670edd7c2b21317.jpeg

• Like 3

Cchinn, I love the 560! Do you do your own work or farm it out? I had always wanted an old SL (not counting the 190 SL I had) but my wifes DD of a ML320 kinda soured me. SUV ran great and had a strong motor but the electronics started going wonking and I could not get that fixed. Also a lot of proprietary and expensive parts.  It seemed like MB stood for More Bucks! 

I agree with Alsancle, with the cars on the list a 'vette would probably be the easiest/most economical to maintain in the long run. Plenty of parts, though maybe not so cheap and drivetrain that anyone can work on.

Also if you are not mechanically inclined (like myself) look around your area and find a good mechanic that will work on a 'project/weekend cruiser' kind of car. I am lucky that I have a pretty good shop about 2 miles away. But like collision centers, not all mechanics want to take on someones project car, running or not. Even more so if its not a domestic.

• Like 1

All interesting choices for sure.

While the C2 is hard to disagree with aside from finding an affordable one (a pal gave me a lead on a 4 speed 64 maybe 5 years ago, $30k range but timing wasn't quite right, best price on a usable C2 I have seen in some time allbeit a NOM car). 

Let me suggest a good look at the 560 SL.  11, 12 years in and we love ours.  It definately has a solid well built feel to it and you can easilly do 4, 5 hours on the road and not feel beat up when your done.  It can get out of it's own way at 220 hp.  Fun to drive and you will get looks and compliments if that matters.  Not too big, not too small.

That said, some areas to look at:  body specifically floors and rockers. Timing chain, guides, fuel distributor, steering coupler and box, AC.  Luckily ours had no rust and all of those were gone through along with other usual stuff.  Very well supported in terms of parts and documentation with 3, 4 recent books dedicated to the R107 chassis out in last decade.

If you buy let me know, glad to help out if needed.

2017-09-17 19.22.24.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 3

One more SL note.  You get that leather, wood, chrome (like big plates in door jambs) and thick, well done paint on these, not a typical 80s car in terms of fit and finish. 

Ours is original paint, had it lightly buffed out earlier this year, but plenty of thickness on paint left for later.

Also, the hardtop changes the car completely when in place, feels like a closed car, again, solid.  I love the look but 90% of the time it's driven top down.  Still a fun driver in late fall with the hardtop in place.

That said it's a great list.  Good luck with your "problem".   Try and drive as many of your listed cars as possible.

Welcome to the forum!

20220611_102532.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

One more SL note.  You get that leather, wood, chrome (like big plates in door jambs) and thick, well done paint on these, not a typical 80s car in terms of fit and finish. 

Ours is original paint, had it lightly buffed out earlier this year, but plenty of thickness on paint left for later.

Also, the hardtop changes the car completely when in place, feels like a closed car, again, solid.  I love the look but 90% of the time it's driven top down.  Still a fun driver in late fall with the hardtop in place.

That said it's a great list.  Good luck with your "problem".   Try and drive as many of your listed cars as possible.

Welcome to the forum!

20220611_102532.jpg

I had an 86 300sl which was fun.I sold it on e bay sight unseen and bought a 74 mgb with some of the money.That too is a good fun car for the money.They can usually be bought in decent shape for under $10,000. I paid $7,000 for mine.

• Like 1

The 6 cylinder models can be found with a stick shift, and they look almost as cool as a Jag 6 under the hood.

The 560 is one of the lower priced cars on the list, but good sorted ones are a bit more than $10k now, and low mile examples go for pretty good money, BAT is a good gauge for these cars.  The earlier V8s are cheaper but have less power and features and some other issues.  Subframe and single row timing chains are issues the 560 doesn't have.

Do not buy one of these in project condition.  Do not buy one of these in project condition.  Do not... Get the picture? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All the above is great advice. But some other things need to be considered. Where do you live? Does it require A/C to be comfortable or for your significant other to go along with you. The Healy is a fun easy to work on (except carbs) car. Parts can be found and based on your list not overly expensive. The MB has the best chance of A/C. The Vett has the hp options. The Porsche and E-type will be hard to work on and expensive for parts. As far as looks the E-type is undoubtably the most beautiful car of the list. 
The best thing you have done is join the AACA, you may want to scroll down the forum list for each of these models and just read thru the threads. May give you a good idea of the good and bad points for each. Good luck, don’t be a one time poster and let us know what you end up with. Post PICTURES when you decide!  

Have fun. 
dave s 

PS I’ve owned Healy’s and MG’s  and have always loved the E-type especially with 3 Weber carbs. They go like a bat out of hell in my opinion. 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I totally agree with the comments about having someone that is near by that can help you sort the car out mechanically if you need assistance ( immediately or down the road some years if you like and keep it) Good mechanics who have learned "hands on" at tech schools etc are no longer common. Nor are the tech schools. Everything is "fixed" via a computer - all sounds good but many older cars need some 'savvy' people to sort things out that aren't in programs on line .

You seem to favor a sports car, all well and good, will you fit well for any longer journeys? Looks great, goes fast, but your back may feel a bit neglected after about half an hour depending upon how rough the road is or how much traffic you encounter. If you know of anyone who owns a car like you seek , perhaps a ride in one for some distance to experience the ride/power etc would be wise and not just the "wow" aspect of how it looks??

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Try and drive as many of your listed cars as possible.

I think a lot of people chose their car from a distance. I remember driving one fairly popular vintage car one time and thinking about an owner pulling it out of its resting place and spending a few years restoring it "And this is what they had in the end". That experience was in the early 1990's and has never been far from the surface of my car thoughts.

Your best move is to narrow down your choice and join the marque club associated with the car. Then use all the resources of the club to buy the best car you can find. It will help avoid finding your treasure all on your own and showing up at the first gathering to hear someone say "Oh, you bought THAT car."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

All interesting choices for sure.

While the C2 is hard to disagree with aside from finding an affordable one (a pal gave me a lead on a 4 speed 64 maybe 5 years ago, $30k range but timing wasn't quite right, best price on a usable C2 I have seen in some time allbeit a NOM car). 

Let me suggest a good look at the 560 SL.  11, 12 years in and we love ours.  It definately has a solid well built feel to it and you can easilly do 4, 5 hours on the road and not feel beat up when your done.  It can get out of it's own way at 220 hp.  Fun to drive and you will get looks and compliments if that matters.  Not too big, not too small.

That said, some areas to look at:  body specifically floors and rockers. Timing chain, guides, fuel distributor, steering coupler and box, AC.  Luckily ours had no rust and all of those were gone through along with other usual stuff.  Very well supported in terms of parts and documentation with 3, 4 recent books dedicated to the R107 chassis out in last decade.

If you buy let me know, glad to help out if needed.

2017-09-17 19.22.24.jpg

Yep, a great affordable looker. To make it perfect, a set of Euro bumpers and earlier Bundt wheels.image.jpeg.66eb8ae45cfa94623c7def0325255bd8.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Pfeil said:

Yep, a great affordable looker. To make it perfect, a set of Euro bumpers and earlier Bundt wheels.image.jpeg.66eb8ae45cfa94623c7def0325255bd8.jpeg

Euro bumpers are on our list, and Nardi wheel. 

Bigger brake calipers on the 560 have been an obsticle in the past w wheel changes.  I think now you can get both 15" bundts or steelies and hubcaps (as the earliest 350/450 SLs had) that fit the deeper offset on the 560.  As much as I dislike the 3rd light on the trunk I guess we will be leaving that, some guys remove those as well.

Anyone adding chrome wheel arch accesory trim though, should be cited immediately.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Bigger brake calipers on the 560 have been an obsticle in the past w wheel changes.  I think now you can get both 15" bundts or steelies and hubcaps (as the earliest 350/450 SLs had) that fit the deeper offset on the 560.  As much as I dislike the 3rd light on the trunk I guess we will be leaving that, some guys remove those as well.

Anyone adding chrome wheel arch accesory trim though, should be cited immediately.

Yes, the wheel arch trim, know what you mean. If only MB used the thin type, it would have been ok. I remember when Chevrolet tried to copy that trim molding on the Concours in 1977. Chevrolet went back to the slender type in 1978. Dirt and sand can get in there behind the wide molding and with vibration just sands the paint off. Doesn't matter the brand of car-they all do it, also bolt on fender flares for trucks too!

Curbside Classic: 1977 Chevrolet Nova Concours – Proof That Sizzle Trumps  Steak | Curbside Classic---image.jpeg.bb4b002d1e44e426ec740e90af36f55d.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

You know Steve, I think MB is the only make that could pull off a "painted in part" wheel cover that really looks good.

image.jpeg.ce0a9800e4a13ecd40b44c24383497ea.jpeg

• Like 1

Corvette is the best most practical choice especially just starting out. Service and parts available at any parts store or Chevrolet dealership. I might go for a newer model as being better and cheaper but it depends on your budget and what you can find. One caution, there are a lot of thrashed badly restored Vettes out there that look good but are a basket of snakes. So have any potential purchase inspected by a good mechanic or Vette expert.

My own choice, would be either the Vette or the Mercedes SL. I have experience of older model Mercedes and like them. You can get parts reasonable from Autohaus in Arizona. They are a beautifully made car. I avoid later model Mercedes as being over complicated, prone to breakdowns and hard to repair. The older ones are more user friendly. By older I mean before 1992.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Cchinn, I love the 560! Do you do your own work or farm it out? I had always wanted an old SL (not counting the 190 SL I had) but my wifes DD of a ML320 kinda soured me. SUV ran great and had a strong motor but the electronics started going wonking and I could not get that fixed. Also a lot of proprietary and expensive parts.  It seemed like MB stood for More Bucks! 

I agree with Alsancle, with the cars on the list a 'vette would probably be the easiest/most economical to maintain in the long run. Plenty of parts, though maybe not so cheap and drivetrain that anyone can work on.

Also if you are not mechanically inclined (like myself) look around your area and find a good mechanic that will work on a 'project/weekend cruiser' kind of car. I am lucky that I have a pretty good shop about 2 miles away. But like collision centers, not all mechanics want to take on someones project car, running or not. Even more so if its not a domestic.

TAKerry, unlike many on this forum, I’m like you (not mechanically inclined) and I farm out the work on both of my old cars. Luckily he’s an expert on MB SLs and does great work. I am also lucky that the car has not required many repairs other than routine maintenance. I did have to repair the odometer and AC system and a valve job, but that has been it in 28+ years of ownership. Similar to Steve Mack’s post, the paint is original and it has held up very well. Being garaged it’s entire life, 10 years in San Diego and in climate controlled storage when I was stationed in Okinawa and HI for another 10 years probably helped preserve the paint. Everything remains original and I plan to see if it meets HPOF requirements at the AACA NC Regional Meet in 2 weeks. For TGvest, I hope this additional info helps 

• Like 2

TGVest, based on what you have said, the 560SL seems like a great choice.  The key, I think, is that this is going to be your first vintage car.  For your first car, it's better to start with a car that is widely available, less expensive, and that lots of shops can work on.  The 560SL is more conservative and common than others on your list, but that's okay for your first vintage car.   Get that, have fun with it, and then, if you enjoy that experience, maybe next time try something more exotic and rare. 

• Like 1

I don’t know if I have anything to add to this conversation. Get some driving time behind the wheel of some of those models that you are interested in. There’s quite a bit of difference between some of them. Some are easier to maintain than others, some have better club support than others, some of them could get pricey to find a nice example. 

I have a C2 (65 coupe). Great cars that have some simpler engineering aspects than some of the other choices.   If you are not married to a certain year of them, look at a 64. If you would consider a non-original motor and an automatic, I think you can be patient and find something in the upper 30s. That year seems to be the softest for price.

for Etype jags, there is quite a bit of detail to bring into that discussion. I own a 1970 Roadster with a buddy. It is at his garage so I don’t drive it as much as I would like (my garage is full....not a good situation). There are some specific forums dedicated to just those cars. Figure out what you would find acceptable, from an early 60s Roadster all the way to a 70s 2+2 coupe. Huge price differences. If you’re even remotely considering one of these, don’t  buy a project if you’re new to classic cars.

I am always a little amazed at what a great value the Mercedes SL‘s are. I’m kicking myself because I’ve never had that experience. Others on this thread who own and have experience with them have given some good tips about them.

Big Healeys.....  I am probably weird because I think they are visually just as good looking as an Etype.  I see decent drivers in the 40k’s. I have never owned one but I’ve driven and ridden in them. They have a little bit of an older antique feel to me compared to some of your other choices. That isn’t a bad thing but you want to understand it before you pull the trigger and not be surprised by it.  

my last comment is that all of these could work out wonderfully for you if you get a decent car. And the reason it will be wonderful isn’t even because of the car. Through the car you’re going to make some great new friendships, it might be the most surprising fun thing about the hobby. And the best part about it.  I can’t tell you how many generous decent friends I have gained through classic cars. I consider it a huge blessing in my life and they would exist even if you got rid of the cars.

• Like 1

E Type's and Healey 's are worlds apart from a driving point of view. The 3000 is a really great looking car that has a chassis firmly based in the early 1950's. Worm and peg steering with lots of links. The Jag is a big step forward with rack and pinion. and a well engineered , very modern for the early 1960's chassis. Good examples of either are a ton of money these days. So- So examples will send your wallet into cardiac arrest in pretty short order.

SU carbs are nothing to be afraid of. Actually pretty simple once you understand them.

Neither is a good choice for a non mechanic unless very deep pockets for maintenence and repair is part of the owner profile. 

The SL's are great cars, but hardly what I personally consider a " vintage car".

A mid 1960's Vette is a pretty decent car. But lots have been through the mill over the years and may suffer from trouble beneath the shiny paint.

Thanks for all the great advice 

I am lucky that I have friends and family who are mechanics so I will have some assistance. 

I am based in Denmark, so weather conditions are a concern - however it will be kept in a dry (and warm) place in the Winther months. 

Currently I am planning to visit some vintage car shops, that holds a few of the models I consider to try and see what feels right. 

If it was not for the "commonality" here a C3 would probably be my choice, as I like them and they can be found for very reasonable prices, but there's so many they kind of feel ordinary, like the "go-to-car" for any middle aged man buying an american vintage car.

TG, Europe seems a bit ahead of the US in appreciating the R107, and 560 SL chassis in particular with a fair number exported recently.  Your market, as I understand it might be a bit higher in relative terms for a good 560 but the demand is there if you get one and decide to sell.  

Remember, you don't have to marry the car. If you find it does not meet your expectations you can always sell it. My experience has been that cars for sale are generally not really prepared for their best presentation. It is not hard to make most cars appear better than they did when you bought them. Sell the one you don't like and buy another. The market is there.

My rule of thumb on a recently acquired car is to split my money 50/50 between comestics and mechanical just in case I decide to sell. Upgrading the appearance will help you sell if you decide. Any mechanical work will be taken for granted and rarely adds value.

For screening your purchase here is a list of questions that will give you a very good insight into the history of the car you are looking at.

I keep meaning to get an E book out detaining the concept of the questions, maybe this winter.

1. Do you own the car and have legal proof?

2 Is the paperwork clear and free of liens, unbranded?

3. How long have you owned the car?

4. Is the car currently licensed and insured?

5. Can it be driven on the road, legally, today?

6 Is the car in storage? If so, how long has it been stored?

7. How many miles did you drive it during the last 12 months?

8. Have you done any major work on the car since you have owned it?

9. What and when was the most recent service or repair?

10. If you decided to keep the car what improvement would you consider important?

• Like 1

You didn't tell us you lived in Denmark. I want to change my answer. Corvette is probably not the best choice for you. If I had known you lived in Europe I would have picked the Mercedes or Porsche. You will have to make some inquiries regarding cost of cars, and cost and availability of repairs. Around here the Mercedes and Porsche would be more or less the same, both being more expensive to repair and harder to get parts for than the Corvette. I suspect where you are it would be the other way around.

17 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

You didn't tell us you lived in Denmark. I want to change my answer. Corvette is probably not the best choice for you. If I had known you lived in Europe I would have picked the Mercedes or Porsche. You will have to make some inquiries regarding cost of cars, and cost and availability of repairs. Around here the Mercedes and Porsche would be more or less the same, both being more expensive to repair and harder to get parts for than the Corvette. I suspect where you are it would be the other way around.

I think you are right in that regards, and the repair is a concern - if I did not have that concern I would buy the Austin Healy an acquaintance is selling. 

Regarding the vettes, I know a few having vettes (C3s) and given the number of these here repairs are not that bad. However C2's might be a hole different story because there is probably only one C2 for every 15 C3 here.

I think I still lean towards seeing and feeling the different cars, before settling.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

...before you buy a decades, or century old project you will never finish, or be happy with even if you do.

...leaving a significant other, and two of the three kids, at home while you and the other tool around town in your vintage Corvette...

Jack, I think you're reading words which he didn't write!

He didn't say he had 3 children;  he didn't say he wanted

a project (indeed just the opposite);  and nothing on his

list is anywhere near as primitive as a century-old car! 🙂

1 hour ago, mrspeedyt said:

[H]aving previous experience with both Mercedes cars and a BMW 325 I think I would lean toward a BMW with a stick.

How about a BMW 800 series coupe, or a 600 series

coupe?  I don't know them well enough to recommend

them, though.  Or consider an early 1990's Acura NSX,

which has been increasing in price substantially but which

should be very reliable.

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

How about a BMW 800 series coupe, or a 600 series

coupe?  I don't know them well enough to recommend

them, though.  Or consider an early 1990's Acura NSX,

which has been increasing in price substantially but which

should be very reliable.

I heard bmw stands for break my wallet.

TGvest:

All good advice you've received so far.  For what it's worth, never having owned one myself, still I would recommend considering a 1960's Mercedes-Benz 250SE or 280SE convertible.  For occasional weekend touring, the luxury, fine craftsmanship, ride and additional space would be appreciated.  Whatever your ultimate choice, buy the best car you can find for the price, and enjoy it.  Good luck with your search and acquisition.

Steve

I'm in the same boat as you. I am interested in buying a car from the years 1949-54, but I'm not locked into any one make or model. I have asked a lot of questions here, and have gotten mostly very helpful answers. I have also gotten answers telling me I should buy a car quickly on impulse, which I think is very poor advice. When I'm thinking of spending $9000-12000, on anything, I give it careful consideration, and if it sells to someone else, oh well, it wasn't meant to be. Another car will come along. 

I'd say, buy the best car you can afford, have it carefully inspected by a qualified third party, make note of any problems that exist, and then negotiate with the seller. Also, make sure the seller has a clear title. If there's no title, you should check with your state's MV Bureau, to see what steps are necessary to get a title. It varies from state to state. Sometimes, old car titles are lost or discarded. Good luck.