Rewiring a 1930 Rolls Royce 20/25.

Dandy Dave

The fellow that owns this 1930 Rolls Royce has finally decided that it is time to rewire it. I have been after him for years as it is quite a rats nest. So here we go. The hardest part I see so far is that the wires are enclosed in conduit. Signals were added at one time and they are going to stay for safety reasons. I had him order a pile of new wire from the UK. The dynamo has not worked because of bad wirers and connections. We had it rewound and also the cut out switch refubished. Hopefully it will work when this rats nest of wires is replaced. 

IMG_4755.JPG

IMG_4756.JPG

IMG_4757.JPG

• Like 2

Dynamo, Wires running up the left side of the cowl. Under the dash again. I've spent quite a bit of time just getting the conduit underneath the car loose enough to beable to pull the old wire out and the new wire though at the same time.

IMG_4758.JPG

IMG_4759.JPG

IMG_4763.JPG

• Like 3

Ignition switch. The Brits call it a switch box. It has a burned contact. If you look at the photos close you can see that the top contact does not have a nice J shape like the others. This is one reason it does not charge. Anyone know of a parts switch we can get a contact out of? I may just have to make new ones from scratch but it always pays to ask. More photos to come as we progress and I remember to bring my camera. Senility setting in at times. Dandy Dave.  

IMG_4718.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

IMG_4770.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Once did a '37 Bentley and was amazed to learn that Bentley needed 5 wires going to the petrol level sending unit.  Also amazed to learn that the headlights were dimmed by  mechanical solenoids that actually tilted the reflectors.

Oh yeah. Learning thing like "Near Side" and "Off Side" instead of left and right. Switch Box. Distribution Box. Semaphors instead of signals. The list goes on. This Rolls has a dimmer switch with coils mounted to the back of the head light reflectors. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

Oh yeah. Learning thing like "Near Side" and "Off Side" instead of left and right. Switch Box. Distribution Box. Semaphors instead of signals. The list goes on. This Rolls has a dimmer switch with coils mounted to the back of the head light reflectors. 

Similar to everything as on my right-hand-drive 1947 Jaguar.  The entire right headlight pod is tilted slightly down, plus the left headlight has the solenoid which dips the reflector, while the right headlight turns off on low-beam.  And semaphors,..which practically no one knows what they are.1492093747_1947Jaguarrightfront.jpg.2535b49527db99709c93780227a8afdb.jpg 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, George Cole said:

Similar to everything as on my right-hand-drive 1947 Jaguar.  The entire right headlight pod is tilted slightly down, plus the left headlight has the solenoid which dips the reflector, while the right headlight turns off on low-beam.  And semaphors,..which practically no one knows what they are.1492093747_1947Jaguarrightfront.jpg.2535b49527db99709c93780227a8afdb.jpg 

Nice car! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to hijack your thread Dandy Dave, but do  your semaphores look like these on my Jag?  And yes, they are lighted for use at night.  A vintage Jag parts dealer in the UK has new ones for $500 per pair.  Regardless of whether they are NOS or repros, I'm sure they are in very limited quantity.  I probably should bite the bullet and buy a pair of them just in case some smart-assed kid (or adult) decides to grab one of mine and break it off, when I'm demonstrating them at a show.  And how often do you see all brass door hinges and pins with grease fittings?

IMG_9003.JPG.12f2eac86b5be072c2eb4ea7dfef2707.JPGIMG_9002.JPG.1d45acac1a4f9ffd339fe5ca7d921845.JPGIMG_9001.JPG.d5b89d92f66ecb621be8d81c16f08ad2.JPGIMG_9000.JPG.2833c8fb338ab0c1f972282739fa1d98.JPGIMG_8999.JPG.cb624b093340ee533e4adf916cdf6581.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My mistake.  I said I could get a replacement set for 500...that's English pounds, not dollars.  Plus they add a handling fee.  With shipping and customs, they will probably be right at $1k.  Again,Dave, sorry for hijacking your thread.  However, this might have application if your semaphores are the same as mine, you might want to tell the owner to buy a set of them as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

Love the Jags but want to see more of them. That goes for the Rolls also!  Sorry DD but the pics of the cars are as interesting as the rest of the thread, now back to our regularly scheduled rewire project 

dave s 

I thought I posted pics of my Jag on an earlier thread...but maybe not.  I'll open another to keep from hijacking Dandy Dave's thread any further.

• Like 2

I've done a Silver Ghost. I had a 20-25 but didn't wire it. The Ghost had a floating ground system. Everything went back to the fuse box where it was grounded to the firewall. The Ghost also has the covered wires and I found it best to remove them and put then back when I was done. This was real headache because the little screws that held the covers in place went through the firewall and had nuts on the inside. Without a helper, putting them back was a real challenge. Wiring a RR is probably about 5 times harder than any other car.

The semaphores are fine but I'd be inclined to add conventional directional lights. You aren't likely to find anyone on the road today who knows what they mean and I'd rather have some non-original lights than be hit.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

The semaphores are fine but I'd be inclined to add conventional directional lights. You aren't likely to find anyone on the road today who knows what they mean and I'd rather have some non-original lights than be hit.

Exactly the way I feel about the semaphores.  They are an interesting novelty to demonstrate at shows, but I doubt anyone who did see me use them on the highway would know I was signaling for a turn.  Likewise, the car only had one rather dim brake light.  So I rewired the front fender marker lights into the semaphores, and added an extra pair of lights inside the rear license plate housing.  I wired them up as turn signals and brake lights.  They look like they are supposed to be there, and give me turn signals all around, as well as 2 very bright brake lights.  Better to be non-original than to have someone sideswipe or rearend me when I'm turning.  Also, as I'm still only running vintage New Zealand license plates on the car, I'm trying not to attract undue attention from the Gestapo.  The car is licensed in FL, but there's no place to legally mount a conventional license plate, so I keep it under the passenger front seat.  

IMG_9026 edited.jpg

IMG_9035.JPG

• Like 4

On 8/18/2022 at 5:57 AM, George Cole said:

I'm not trying to hijack your thread Dandy Dave, but do  your semaphores look like these on my Jag?  And yes, they are lighted for use at night.  A vintage Jag parts dealer in the UK has new ones for $500 per pair.  Regardless of whether they are NOS or repros, I'm sure they are in very limited quantity.  I probably should bite the bullet and buy a pair of them just in case some smart-assed kid (or adult) decides to grab one of mine and break it off, when I'm demonstrating them at a show.  And how often do you see all brass door hinges and pins with grease fittings?

IMG_9003.JPG.12f2eac86b5be072c2eb4ea7dfef2707.JPGIMG_9002.JPG.1d45acac1a4f9ffd339fe5ca7d921845.JPGIMG_9001.JPG.d5b89d92f66ecb621be8d81c16f08ad2.JPGIMG_9000.JPG.2833c8fb338ab0c1f972282739fa1d98.JPGIMG_8999.JPG.cb624b093340ee533e4adf916cdf6581.JPG

Do the semaphores flash when they are extended?  They did on my first car, a 1946 Morris 10 Series M saloon.  ( in 1964.)  To meet Canadian regulations, both headlight reflectors tilted down for low beam.  

• Like 1

I helped a fellow in Garden City,NY named Lew Smith rewire a 1927 RR Phantom I roadster once ( Springfield car) about 50 years ago - he lead the way and I just did what I was told ! You really need two people to save some effort of getting up and down to bring one end to another area. Won't do that anymore, not into aerobics and need glasses on to see stuff for close up work more clearly.🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

I helped a fellow in Garden City,NY named Lew Smith rewire a 1927 RR Phantom I roadster once ( Springfield car) about 50 years ago - he lead the way and I just did what I was told ! You really need two people to save some effort of getting up and down to bring one end to another area. Won't do that anymore, not into aerobics and need glasses on to see stuff for close up work more clearly.🙃

Truer words have not been spoken. I have trifocals these days. I'm back at it later this morning with whichever grunt man is available. It is good to have a few days break inbetween the wires and other fun stuff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dictator27 said:

Do the semaphores flash when they are extended?  They did on my first car, a 1946 Morris 10 Series M saloon.  ( in 1964.)  To meet Canadian regulations, both headlight reflectors tilted down for low beam.  

They didn't, but when I wired the additional lights into the semaphore circuit, I added a flasher for each side, so they now do.

• Like 3

I Remember quite a few of my dads British 30s /40s cars had semaphores , I used to enjoy playing with them when parked , he always tinkered with about 6 at a time 

mind you we never had a roller or jag , I remember   singer , wolverley . Jowett , Austin , hillman ,Vauxhall , Morris , standard , ford etc 

Naughtily I used to drive them a few yards on the starter 😁

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

More progress on the Rolls yesterday. Heading back today. Actually Install three new wires so we are going in the right direction. Some underneath photos for those who have never seen how a Rolls is wired. Agree that this is 5 times harder to wire than anything else automotive. The only thing that come close is 3 phase wiring in steel conduit in a comercial building. Makes me tired just thinking about it. The wires on the outside are signal wires that were added at a later time. Dandy Dave.   

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

IMG_4805.JPG

20 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

I Remember quite a few of my dads British 30s /40s cars had semaphores , I used to enjoy playing with them when parked.

I also remember playing with the semaphores on my next door neighbor's '53 VW Beetle convertible.  Being there was no B-pillar, they were low enough where I could reach them!!

Craig