Rewiring a 1930 Rolls Royce 20/25.

Dandy Dave

SidenoteI

Sidenote:  I am a fan of shrink tube at the connection to terminal (as a "just in case") and the original RR parts were wrapped with string  and then waxed (always fun and I have done 4 cars now with the string and the wax duplicated - a 1925 English RR PI, 1932 American RR PI, 1936 RR 25/30, & 1937 RR 25/30)

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

SidenoteI

Sidenote:  I am a fan of shrink tube at the connection to terminal (as a "just in case") and the original RR parts were wrapped with string  and then waxed (always fun and I have done 4 cars now with the string and the wax duplicated - a 1925 English RR PI, 1932 American RR PI, 1936 RR 25/30, & 1937 RR 25/30)

This 1930 had small sleeves over the ends with number on them. Many had disintigraded over time. The red wire on the far right has one with the number 8 on it.

IMG_4945.JPG.8c769b8c2f644bf8edfec45ee562b3bc.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I'm also a fan of shrink tube but when I did a Silver Ghost I covered it with a wrapping of black carpet thread and sealed it with clear nail polish.

• Like 1

That red wire with the plastic number 8 sleeve at the terminal is a factory RR chassis identifier. There would have been at least 7 more. The Ross Courtney (Ring) terminals with the cotton string rubbed through bee's wax would have been coach builders terminals and found on wiring for the body and accessories installed after the chassis left the works.

Way back a long time ago those cellulite plastic sleeves were hard to get because they crumbled. I offered an industrial alternative and got a resounding "No". Sam Rawlins, the chief judge,who has passed on sent me an envelope with a treasured set of the plastic wire identifiers. Included was one sample of a correctly tied Ross Courtney terminal and instructions for tying the knot. It was a sort of half barrel hitch or some sort of fishing fly tie. And not to be tied any other way.

In my instance he included three photographs of PII distribution boxes. None were completely correct but combined the pictures showed all the correct facets. Talk about getting explicit instructions.

That year at the nationals Sam led the judging team up to the car with the cover removed from the distribution box. "That is how a proper PII should look" was his only comment, and he walked away. A bit of an anticlimax for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave, the vid of you driving this Rolls was great! But time I'd gone chasing rabbits on the youtube suggestion list an hour had got behind me... 

I saw: the last airworthy Lockheed Constellation flying, an ME262 trainer going thru preflight and a short cruise, and a B29 doing the same.

Always good to watch magnificent equipment in operation!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Dave, the vid of you driving this Rolls was great! But time I'd gone chasing rabbits on the youtube suggestion list an hour had got behind me... 

I saw: the last airworthy Lockheed Constellation flying, an ME262 trainer going thru preflight and a short cruise, and a B29 doing the same.

Always good to watch magnificent equipment in operation!

Yuppers. That place is quite a rabbit hole! Dandy Dave!