Safe, yet effective car cover when towing?

John_Mc

Hi all, I’m very familiar with all the reasons why a car cover should not be used with an open trailer while towing.

Yet, I can believe someone cannot come up with a cover that can be secured so it will not rub the paint off the car, or worse yet, blow off the car.  After all the boat industry has used the shrink wrap system for decades.  Why I’m asking for possible solutions is that I recently towed my “sealed” 1949 Lincoln convertible in the rain and the interior and trunk were just soaked.  An enclosed trailer is out of the question.  Any ideas???

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Safe, yet effective car cover when towing?

I’m investigating crash tape as an answer.  This amazing 3’ wide clear tape was developed for todays cars in a collision to prevent water intrusion destroying and destroying electronics.  It will adhere to any surface and has a stickiness so it will not blow off.  It will not remove paint and leaves zero residue.  Used sparingly on areas know to leak, should virtually eliminate rain water from getting into the car’s interior. A 100’ roll should last for many years.

Im trying to think outside the box and rethink the typical responses of “don’t do it.”

Anyone used this system?

13 minutes ago, John_Mc said:

I’m investigating crash tape as an answer.  This amazing 3’ wide clear tape was developed for todays cars in a collision to prevent water intrusion destroying and destroying electronics.  It will adhere to any surface and has a stickiness so it will not blow off.  It will not remove paint and leaves zero residue.  Used sparingly on areas know to leak, should virtually eliminate rain water from getting into the car’s interior. A 100’ roll should last for many years.

Im trying to think outside the box and rethink the typical responses of “don’t do it.”

Anyone used this system?

What is this car you plan to wrap?

Oh no, it’s a convertible.  And I intend to only place it where it’s prone to leaks, like the cowl vent, etc.  The concept is not to keep the car dry in a rainstorm, just cover those leak prone areas on a temporary basis.

3 hours ago, John_Mc said:

Anyone used this system?

It's not the leaking that damages the paint, it's the flapping fabric of the cover.   I prefer to tow on an open trailer and take my wash bucket and wash the car if necessary when I get where I'm going.   Quick Detailer works too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John_Mc said:

Hi all, I’m very familiar with all the reasons why a car cover should not be used with an open trailer while towing.

Yet, I can believe someone cannot come up with a cover that can be secured so it will not rub the paint off the car, or worse yet, blow off the car.  After all the boat industry has used the shrink wrap system for decades.  Why I’m asking for possible solutions is that I recently towed my “sealed” 1949 Lincoln convertible in the rain and the interior and trunk were just soaked.  An enclosed trailer is out of the question.  Any ideas???

There is always THIS....

post-37352-143138662315.jpg

post-37352-143138662311.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, John_Mc said:

Try crash tape if you'd like, that's up to you but I personally wouldn't use it (disclaimer, I haven't researched it but any tape will leave a residue, don't believe the hype).

I know what I'm about to say is sacrilege to most in regards to towing but it sounds like you are hoping for a practical solution without the enclosed trailer option. Obviously enclosed IS the best solution but since it's out of the question maybe consider this.

Since most of us are worried about any kind of damage while towing I've often wondered what's wrong  with a padded buffer between the surface of paint and the tarp one is covering it with? Granted I've never tried this but the hillbilly in me says a 3"-4" pad or foam rubber surrounding top to bottom of the vehicle, then a 24 mill white pvc tarp with heavy duty straps and grommets might do the trick on a temporary basis. Might move around on the trip if you don't secure it properly but if you take the time to secure it with the right straps and placement along with possibly more padding in high stress areas of tension should be fine for temporary alternative. Estimated cost would be around $1000 for materials give or take and all materials would be resuable if needed or you can resale them if you needed to get reimbursed for some of the out of pocket cost. FYI, I'm basing my estimate on a 30'x30' tarp.

Here's a guy I use for heavy duty tarps. Bought some and have had them in use for years and have held up in high monsoon winds, rain and extreme desert southwest heat conditions and have had no issues with them for storage canopy use *10 years now*. Never used them on a trailer but I am confident they would work if used properly.

24 mil Heavy Duty PVC Canopy Tarp WHITE Vinyl Tent Car Boat Cover Movie Screen | eBay

Good luck
Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I wrapped an engine to transport on an open trailer once.  Amazing how the wind found every single edge that could be found to loosen the wrap.  After 1,348 miles the engine stayed dry and the minor flapping didn't cause any heartbreaking paint damage.  I'm not inclined to wrap a car for the same trip.

• Like 3

John Mc, I hate to tell you this but a convertible with the top down when it rains gets wet. Your trailer is also a convertible! Anything on it is going to get wet, it’s what happens when it rains and there isn’t a roof over things. 
Not trying to be a smart a$$, it’s just common sense. Buy a covered car hauler or rent one if you want to haul it yourself or use a commercial hauler. 
Sorry if that sounds harsh. 
dave s 

• Like 4

Not really harsh, I just think you are just missing my point.  I’m not trying to prevent the car from getting wet, my attempt is to isolate and cover those parts of the car that allow water entry such as, cowl vent, base of the windshield, trunk seal, where the windshield meets the top etc.  I do NOT wish to cover the car, and if a little rain water gets in, OK.

I appreciate all the input and while I’m still looking for possible options but  I’m going to try the crash tape and I’ll post the results.

Edited by John_Mc (see edit history)
  • Like 1

" Safe, yet effective car cover when towing ? "

There is none -  car covers are engineered and designed to be put on a vehicle to protect

from dust and dirt - they work as designed if the vehicle is in an enclosed garage or building

not subject to air movement. 

When I transport a vehicle - if someone wants a car cover on it while in one of my custom built

enclosed car hauler trailers - then they make arrangements to have it put on and

taken off - because the cover will rub on the car finish inside the trailer going down the road and damage it.

1929 AA Ford Truck Restored By Father & Son In 1976 - Safely Transported From California To Wisconsin Last Week

image3.jpeg.6571c75bf3bb1d8f292ba47bbd74a100.jpeg

1884572058_image1(1).jpeg.81485f062209071419374295c19253cc.jpeg

image5.jpeg.4d7c5a1ffe28a279ed82381529fbad14.jpeg

Jim

I understood but I think you are saying an oxymoron. Safe effective car cover while towing is a perfect example. 
I hope the tape works and doesn’t damage the paint. I look forward to your results post. Good luck. 
dave s 

6 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

" Safe, yet effective car cover when towing ? "

There is none -  car covers are engineered and designed to be put on a vehicle to protect

from dust and dirt - they work as designed if the vehicle is in an enclosed garage or building

not subject to air movement. 

When I transport a vehicle - if someone wants a car cover on it while in one of my custom built

enclosed car hauler trailers - then they make arrangements to have it put on and

taken off - because the cover will rub on the car finish inside the trailer going down the road and damage it.

1929 AA Ford Truck Restored By Father & Son In 1976 - Safely Transported From California To Wisconsin Last Week

image3.jpeg.6571c75bf3bb1d8f292ba47bbd74a100.jpeg

1884572058_image1(1).jpeg.81485f062209071419374295c19253cc.jpeg

image5.jpeg.4d7c5a1ffe28a279ed82381529fbad14.jpeg

Jim

As I mentioned in the first sentence of my original post, I’m familiar with the hazards of towing a covered car on am open trailer.

• Thanks 1

Once I towed a Daimler sp250 from Dallas to NJ on an open trailer.  The owner insisted on covering it and did so over my objection and release of liability.  A good weatherproof soft car cover, bout a dozen straps, a bunch of bungee cords and I don;t recall ropes or whatever.  I also had a windbreak on the front of my trailer, which is what probably contributed to a successful haul.   Flapped a minimum, and arrived safe, but I would NEVER do this on any car of mine.   I have seen a couple cars being transported with shrink wrap, like the boats, so it can be done.   But that is a one. time deal, most likely.   As also posted, I know there are a couple of "convertible" trailers out there, but I've only seen one in the flesh.  Decent for local use, but I was not impressed enough for long distance interstate use..  

Edited by flackmaster (see edit history)

On 8/11/2022 at 4:57 PM, John_Mc said:

I’m asking for possible solutions. I recently towed my “sealed” 1949 Lincoln convertible in the rain and the interior and trunk were just soaked.  An enclosed trailer is out of the question.  Any ideas???

1)  Only attend events that promise good, dry weather.

2)  Purchase a bilge pump.

3)  Move to California...where it never rains.

You're welcome!

• Haha 2

I was driving down the highway yesterday, I passed a minivan Towing about an 18 foot boat. It had its cover on it, and it occurred to me I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a covered boat on the highway before. It was strapped down in about eight places, but was flapping violently everywhere. It probably won’t hurt the boat, but if that was a car……

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good news!  I used the crash tape in a driving rainstorm and the results were amazing!  Yes, some water did get it in but nothing to the drenching that would have occurred without using this tape.

I found no residue and the tape just pulled right off!   Zero damage to any painted surfaces.  Sometimes it pays to look at new ways of how to accomplish the task at hand.

F292DA6A-8D2B-48F9-B450-B7E8459857B4.jpeg

537B0632-3433-413B-AFDD-4672B57DD0A9.jpeg

• Like 4

On 8/13/2022 at 11:14 PM, Twisted Shifter said:

1)  Only attend events that promise good, dry weather.

2)  Purchase a bilge pump.

3)  Move to California...where it never rains.

You're welcome!

I think I’d rather move to Ukraine than California!  
:-)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, West Peterson said:

In regard to the cowl vent and the trunk lid, those were designed not to leak. Do you need to replace the weatherstripping in those two areas? 

Hi West, I did replace the cowl seal and darn it if it leaked anyway.  Water always seems to find a way somehow to get where you don’t want it.  Though not perfect, this tape really does the job as it was engineered.

2 hours ago, John_Mc said:

Hi West, I did replace the cowl seal and darn it if it leaked anyway.  Water always seems to find a way somehow to get where you don’t want it.  Though not perfect, this tape really does the job as it was engineered.

I never heard of "Crash Tape",   Where did you find it?   I see lots of other uses for that.

• Like 1

John, California Car Cover makes a product called XPEL Trac-Wrap that is a clear, disposable, 8 mil urethane film that comes in a 4"x20' roll. You might use it to seal the areas that you know that leak and when you get to your destination simply peel it off. I have used it on my bumpers and areas of my front end that I'm trying to protect from road rash. Their part number is TW4T20 if you want to look it up on their website.

Well Dorothy, I think you had the answer all along! That stuff looks like it did a great job. I have never heard of it, and thought you were talking about a regular size roll of tape (thinking blue painter tape, etc.). I have what is probably a similar product I use to protect carpet. It is somewhat sticky, and will stick great to carpet, but peels off fairly easily when the job is done. Good Deal, Car looks great!!

6 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

John, California Car Cover makes a product called XPEL Trac-Wrap that is a clear, disposable, 8 mil urethane film that comes in a 4"x20' roll. You might use it to seal the areas that you know that leak and when you get to your destination simply peel it off. I have used it on my bumpers and areas of my front end that I'm trying to protect from road rash. Their part number is TW4T20 if you want to look it up on their website.

what is the removal procedure???

Just because OP replaced the cowl vent seal or any other weatherstripping, doesn’t mean they were correct items or installed correctly.

How many here believe these Lincolns or any other same era cars with similar construction leaked enough to soak the interior and trunk when they were new or if they did, how many owners at the time would’ve considered it “normal”, only drove them in sunny, dry weather or asked dealer service department to wrap some tape around them for pending trip in the rain ?

I have a 90 year old Roadster, originally no side windows, no cowl vent (2 of them), door or trunk lid seals, no top header seal, etc + no fenders or running boards and I/we have driven it top up in heavy down pours at highway speeds countless times, yet never been nor had my/our luggage inside the trunk getting soaking wet.

I have owned and driven (in the rain) numerous post-war convertibles from late-‘40s to early-‘70s and never had their interiors or trunks soaking wet, especially after replacing all weatherstripping with proper stuff or if such was not available, I researched for appropriate alternatives and made sure they actually do their intended job when I was done

Ted, the TracWrap from California Car Cover can be left on for up to 14 day's and peels right off with no damage to the paint. I have used it on long trips and had no issues with it.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 6:30 PM, ted sweet said:

what is the removal procedure???

Thanks, my removal process is to pull slowly from the lowest angle possible, kind of like removing the backing paper from a decal.  Lost no paint and there was no residue left on the car’s body.  One thing I did learn is that the crash tape does stick very well to canvas, but other than that I’m going to continue to use it.

I appreciate all the input, and to the naysayers who could not wait to give me 10 reasons why there was no such solution, look around and ask why not instead of no way.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:38 PM, TTR said:

Just because OP replaced the cowl vent seal or any other weatherstripping, doesn’t mean they were correct items or installed correctly.

How many here believe these Lincolns or any other same era cars with similar construction leaked enough to soak the interior and trunk when they were new or if they did, how many owners at the time would’ve considered it “normal”, only drove them in sunny, dry weather or asked dealer service department to wrap some tape around them for pending trip in the rain ?

I have a 90 year old Roadster, originally no side windows, no cowl vent (2 of them), door or trunk lid seals, no top header seal, etc + no fenders or running boards and I/we have driven it top up in heavy down pours at highway speeds countless times, yet never been nor had my/our luggage inside the trunk getting soaking wet.

I have owned and driven (in the rain) numerous post-war convertibles from late-‘40s to early-‘70s and never had their interiors or trunks soaking wet, especially after replacing all weatherstripping with proper stuff or if such was not available, I researched for appropriate alternatives and made sure they actually do their intended job when I was done

I’ve been restoring cars for 40 years, the cowl vent seal was properly installed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 9:26 AM, John_Mc said:

I think I’d rather move to Ukraine than California!  
🙂

I have a 74 motor home with a 2 cycle diesel that in now officially banned in Kaliforina.

• Like 1

I had a car carrier pass me on the road the other day that made me think of this thread. It was hauling new Audis on an open typical car carrier type truck. All of the brand new cars had a factory fitted cloth cover. Although not shrink wrap fit, they did not appear to be blowing around too badly.

My thought, never exercised, get a nice cotton/fleece inner-lined cover (made to fit), then a second heavy waterproof cover, then many straps/tape/wrap.  California Car Cover has a great indoor cover, cotton/fleece lined.  Good luck.

This is a great thread...I was looking at transporting a car across several states and didn't want to invest in an enclosed trailer for the one-time transport. I've worked in industry where we had heavy machinery transported without issue being covered by heavy tarps, so I figured I'd try something like 68LTD mentioned above. After a lot of thought, I thought the best of it and opted to go for a commercial hauler with an enclosed trailer...but I'm curious how the crash tape would hold up on a road trip if I ever need to do it again.