AACA - new website

Peter Gariepy

I think it would be an improvement if you moved the Rummage Box to the initial drop down menu under the Publications tab, just like the Speedster is listed. More members would likely find it there. Having it where you have to hover over Newsletter Editors before you see the Rummage Box choice will result in less people finding it. 

I like the new AACA site. The menu system is much better. Good job! I love the large beautiful photos that are on the home page but for me they dominate the page a little too much. I think half page size photos on the left of the page and a half page size introduction to the AACA on the right side of the page (similar to below) would do more to promote the AACA and and welcome visitors to the site while still displaying the beautiful cars. Just my 2 cents.

new acca page.jpeg

Appreciate everyone's input.

One of the challenges in any site design is not knowing what device the user will be using and how big the screen is.  60% of the visitors to the site use a cell phone so I have to accommodate them first while still considering desktop users.

Example:

Large monitor on the left, cell phone on the right.

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 1.18.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 1.19.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-10 at 1.19.11 PM.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

A couple of suggestions for now:

(1)  Please keep this thread on the forum for

quite a while, without locking it.  The more that

people use the website, the more they may have

suggestions......

Peter,

Besides not locking this thread(yet) suggest it be "pinned" at the top of the discussion threads for a while.

Edited by Ozstatman
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I see that you have an RSS feed enabled as well as a calendar feed. Most people won't know what that is about but I really approve of it. That makes following with a RSS news reader and/or having AACA events automatically show up in your personal calendar very easy.

• Like 1

I used to go directly to the home page, but since the change I am now taken to the AACA store and then asked for membership info. Why the change?

John

1 hour ago, 41 Su8 said:

I used to go directly to the home page, but since the change I am now taken to the AACA store and then asked for membership info. Why the change?

John

John.  Check your bookmark.  It it set to www.aaca.org?

Better yet, create a new bookmark directly to the forums at forums.aaca.org

If the problem still persists give me a call.  520-247-5918

12 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I think it would be an improvement if you moved the Rummage Box to the initial drop down menu under the Publications tab, just like the Speedster is listed. More members would likely find it there. Having it where you have to hover over Newsletter Editors before you see the Rummage Box choice will result in less people finding it. 

Is it not a newsletter editor specific publication? or are you hoping for more reach?

8 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Is it not a newsletter editor specific publication? or are you hoping for more reach?

While its primary use is to provide articles for Region and Chapter Editors to publish in their newsletters, on a number of occasions various Directors have implored members to read all of the articles in the Rummage Box, not just those that their local editor chooses to publish. It is available publicly so that all members can read it. There are also a number of AACA members who are not members of local chapters or regions, so it has to be available publicly for them to be able to receive the information that is published in it. The more easily available it is, the better it serves its purpose of allowing Directors a method of communicating directly with the membership.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

The AACA main website (not this forum) was migrated to new technology today.  www.aaca.org

Please give it a look and provide feedback here (good and bad). I'll be sure to address your issues asap.

Peter

Reminder what the old site looked like.

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.14.08 PM.png

I liked the old one better my car was one of the featured cars! Just joking good job, I had my day in the sun let someone else enjoy it.

• Like 1

Looking around a bit I checked out the Local Region and Chapters listings. I can't figure out the sorting on that page. As displayed on my PC some of the regions and chapters seem to show up in an almost random order. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, oldford said:

I clicked on the link provided and got this: Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress.

say what???

Yes, the site appears to be temporarily down this morning. I assume Peter will have it back up shortly.

12 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Looking around a bit I checked out the Local Region and Chapters listings. I can't figure out the sorting on that page. As displayed on my PC some of the regions and chapters seem to show up in an almost random order. 

Look again. The are sorted by state.

Great site and congrats on finally having a site that is compatible with mobile screens.

It appears the event registration is still the same old antiquated print, write a check, and lick a stamp system, can we expect to be able to register and pay for all AACA National events on the new website soon? As a judge we register and pay online with just a couple easy clicks, but to register for a tour or meet it involves all types of old fashioned hurtles and roadblocks that is not user friendly. Updating the event registration system to a fully electronic system would be a big step forward for the club in attracting newer generations.  

• Like 1

I'd like to congratulate the club for adopting that dynamic, three car, black and white logo. That really grabs the eyes and will be lots more attractive to prospective younger members. It should be available as a large window sticker. 

8 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Look again. The are sorted by state.

Sort of... I would suggest that you add a State name as a heading for each group of regions and chapters since the regions and chapter names are not actually listed in alphabetical order but are in alphabetical within each state. Also I would put non-geographic regions at the end under a heading of "Non-Geographic" or something similar.  Apparently the current sort has the Non-Geographic group of regions placed alphabetically between New York and North Carolina. With the four columns, it is a bit of an odd look, without state headings to make it a bit more clear. It would also be easier to scroll through the list if it was just one column... I know it would be a long list to scroll but, as an example, trying to scroll down to find North Carolina with the data in four columns is a weird experience.  

Also, Central Alabama Region is listed twice. 

image.png.a9a9b3c814ec3b4a3a1d90304087078b.png 

• Like 1

Peter,

On the Committee assignments page, the left column has something weird about the formatting. A bit of the text is run together without any spaces or other punctuation. The formatting on the right column on that page is fine. 

Peter,

I can't seem to find where the National Awards listings got to. I found an old link to their previous location on the forum, but the link no longer works. Is there a new location on the website that I have not found, or are those to be added later?

http://www.aaca.org/Publications/national-awards-2.html

Really need regions by state.  I just pulled up the regions and found it very confusing.  6 states and Puerto Rico on first page .   Yes, scrolling down will give all regions in that state but I think there  should be a State Header to make it easier for prospective member to find a region in his/her state.1742123734_ScreenShot2022-02-13at10_49_58AM.png.dc45ebb856f9f494ed96e9bd36308b52.png

Edited by 31plymouth
added sentence (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 31plymouth said:

Really need regions by state.  I just pulled up the regions and found it very confusing.  6 states and Puerto Rico on first page .   Yes, scrolling down will give all regions in that state but I think there  should be a State Header to make it easier for prospective member to find a region in his/her state.

On 2/11/2022 at 4:54 PM, MCHinson said:

Sort of... I would suggest that you add a State name as a heading for each group of regions and chapters since the regions and chapter names are not actually listed in alphabetical order but are in alphabetical within each state. Also I would put non-geographic regions at the end under a heading of "Non-Geographic" or something similar.  Apparently the current sort has the Non-Geographic group of regions placed alphabetically between New York and North Carolina. With the four columns, it is a bit of an odd look, without state headings to make it a bit more clear. It would also be easier to scroll through the list if it was just one column... I know it would be a long list to scroll but, as an example, trying to scroll down to find North Carolina with the data in four columns is a weird experience.  

Also, Central Alabama Region is listed twice. 

See the page now:

https://aaca.org/list-of-regions-chapters/

• Like 2

On 2/12/2022 at 6:35 AM, MCHinson said:

Peter,

On the Committee assignments page, the left column has something weird about the formatting. A bit of the text is run together without any spaces or other punctuation. The formatting on the right column on that page is fine. 

fixed

https://aaca.org/committee-assignments/

• Like 1

I have not had time to get on this thread but please understand that this is only the beginning of our new site.  There are more things to come including a special page for potential new members only.  There are a few small issues as some of your have seen with the data migration to the new site.  The site will continue to evolve.

There are reasons we are still using an antiquated system of sending in checks but we believe there will be a solution to this in the future.  It is not the how, that is simple it is mostly about the money not coming to national and going directly to the regions.  To solve this a major impediment had to be resolved and we believe it will be.  Can't wait as it will make our lives easier.

We also will finally be adding a new store to make it easier to renew using only your member number and pin number versus having a special password and email for the current site.

We are grateful to Peter and the entire team in helping get this long overdue change made.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I have not had time to get on this thread but please understand that this is only the beginning of our new site.  There are more things to come including a special page for potential new members only.  There are a few small issues as some of your have seen with the data migration to the new site.  The site will continue to evolve.

There are reasons we are still using an antiquated system of sending in checks but we believe there will be a solution to this in the future.  It is not the how, that is simple it is mostly about the money not coming to national and going directly to the regions.  To solve this a major impediment had to be resolved and we believe it will be.  Can't wait as it will make our lives easier.

We also will finally be adding a new store to make it easier to renew using only your member number and pin number versus having a special password and email for the current site.

We are grateful to Peter and the entire team in helping get this long overdue change made.

Thank you very much Steve & Team!

I was told at the Annual Meeting that the new registration system would be coming as part of the incremental website update and that made me very very excited. A registration system update was one of the main items the Greenhorn Region, the young adult non-geographical region, had suggested back in 2012 and was told then that it couldn't be done because of the money issue mentioned and that it was inconvenient for the host regions. While it might not be the way things were done in the past, this change is all about making it friendly to the general member/user which should be the focus of any change to our club's processes.  I can't say thank you enough for brining this change to the members and hope it comes quicker than later. 

PS. Great job with Gettysburg Annual Meeting and can't wait to be back in Philly. 

Kyle