music preference vs. vehicle choice

Buick35

It seems like certain vehicle choices correlate with music preferances. Country music,pickup trucks.60s muscle cars,classic rock and roll.Classical music,high dollar cars like Rolls Royce or Bentley .Jazz,maybe sports cars like Jaguar or MGAs.Rapp and hip hop,pimped out Cadillacs.Blue grass,20s and 30s cars.I also think classic country goes with old Cadillacs for some reason. As for me,I like a variety of both.Not so much of new vehicles or music.

I forgot to add,folk music and old v.w.s.

48 minutes ago, Porsche 68 said:

I generally like 80s new wave when everyday driving Blue Grass in the old stuff Frank Zappa Sunday morning when cleaning the house And everything in between 

I noticed Porsche 68. I recently trade a 68 912 coupe,now I'm sorry that I did.

A few years ago I became annoyed with the singing in most music and sought out CD's that were instrumentals only. Then one day I turned the instruments off and left it off.

Recently I have been waiting in the doctor's parking lot waiting for my wife to prove she isn't selling her pain medication. There is a local talk show guy named Bob Lonsberry that came on. The first time I swore he was doing a Jimmy Stewart impersonation. The stuttering and stammering was unbelievable for radio. Now I have seen this stammering Chris Hayes on TV. How do they pick these people. The silence is golden. I drive Buicks. That probably has something to do with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

There are threads like this popping up all over the internet - how does your choice of music correlate to.... whatever.... The food you eat, the clothes you wear, the books you read. It's all crap and started on Flakebook, so who cares?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Studemax said:

It's all crap and started on Flakebook, so who cares?

Nearly at two years of increasing mindlessness and not slowing down. It helps define people by groups rather than the person. Sort of an un-enlightenment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a musician and record collector. I play or listen to music every day. But when I'm driving my old Chevy, the engine and the sound of the open road are music enough. A drive in a vintage car is a break from the everyday and I don't want any distractions. The car has its original Delco AM mono radio, I think I turned it on twice in the 17 years I have owned the car. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2021 at 5:38 PM, Big Beat said:

I'm a musician and record collector. I play or listen to music every day. But when I'm driving my old Chevy, the engine and the sound of the open road are music enough. A drive in a vintage car is a break from the everyday and I don't want any distractions. The car has its original Delco AM mono radio, I think I turned it on twice in the 17 years I have owned the car. 

Im glad you collect records, not vinyl!   

5 hours ago, radioguybill said:

Why not have your radio converted to am fm  bluetooth USB. You can download files on your thumb drive and listen to what you want.

Original appearance and fit no mods. New electronics guaranteed for a year.

See me at Bill Newman YouTube or Billtheradioguy.com

Not everyone has a cell phone, I for one have no idea what you are talking about. Bob 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I no longer listen to a car radio, except if I can find a station with weather or road /traffic conditions. Even on my 1940 Buick - radio works great but there is nothing to listen to. It has been some time since I used my cars but if I want music I take along a CD player with some music of the era of the cars I own/drive. Traditional jazz music is what got me into the old ( pre WWII) cars as a youngster, I liked the music and when I realized what cars were, they suited me as well. Austin Clark and I would frequently make trips into NY City to Jimmy Ryan's jazz club when it was on W. 54th street to listen to jazz in person. I gave them a postcard of my 41 Packard woody and it went on the mirror at the bar and stayed there until the place closed forever. I am not a record collector although I do have a collection of 78 rpm  records. Got tired of playing one at a time on a hand cranked phonograph so bought and restored a record player that could hold more then one record ( 78 rpm of course) and that was 40 years ago. The machine I restored still works ( probably better then I do now) took me about 6 months to restore, and is electric powered not hand crank. It was made by the Wurlitzer Company in 1938. You think restoring a car from that era is interesting !!!......but it is mostly mechanical and clatters wonderfully when selection of a record is made to pick the one chosen after you feed it a nickel to play it ( yes it does have a free play button too). Has a volume switch too - if at half level capacity it rattles the windows in the house - next door!  Not all pre war music - one or two 78 records on there by Fats Domino too. One of my favorite records on there is by Dooley Wilson - As time goes by.

SO you thought I was perhaps a bit odd/different  before reading this , well now ............................

JUKEBOX1938 one.jpg

• Like 2

I had a 'dead head' sticker but it was on a ford pickup. I have also stood on a corner in Winslow AZ.

As far as music, I have a mint original radio in my T/A, never hooked it up. I can listen to the motor more so than music at this point in my life. When I was young, right out of HS, I had plenty of disposable income. I would upgrade my car stereo about every six months. Once I got bored with the system, out with the old in with the new. I got pretty good at stereo installations, LOL. I always bought high end stuff. Now I really could care less about the stereo. My hearing isnt all that good anymore anyway.

4 hours ago, mickthecat said:

"Out on the road today, I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac."

Take it to a little later timeframe with pop-punk band The Ataris and it became "saw a Black Flag sticker on a Cadillac". All about incongruity.

My music collection stuns most people because of its variety and sometimes incongruity. Can't say any of it defines what I drive, though some might think it odd seeing an old white haired man in a beat-up Ford farm truck toodling down the road cranking either a jazz or classical station.😼

9 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I'm glad you collect records, not vinyl!   

If I wanted to be really technical about it, I should say I collect not records, but music. But I usually use "records" as shorthand. That includes all formats, not just vinyl but also shellac 78s for example. And though "vinyl" seems to be currently trendy, we called records vinyl in the last century too. Nothing new there.

Back in the 1980s I used to take a boombox and a bunch of cassettes on long trips. I still have most of my forty-year-old mix tapes and a few vintage boomboxes, so I've done that a couple of times in recent years, purely for nostalgia. The modern equivalent would be a portable Bluetooth speaker paired to a smartphone - a good option if you must have music in an old car without installing anything permanently, it's simple, reasonably cheap  and easily portable. But as I said above, in a vintage car I usually don't want any distractions. I have all the conveniences I need in my modern cars. 

Exactly what I did. I bought a blue tooth and run my phone through it. I just bought a small speaker about the size of my hand, gets kinda drowned out by the sound of the motor. Next season I am thinking about getting a bit bigger speaker!

I have not bought a record in years, but have many hundreds from my youth and those I inherited from my older siblings growing up. My son is the musician now and has become custodian of them.  We both kinda cringe when people talk about collecting vinyl. Honestly it wasnt until about 15 years ago I even heard that term. When I was into them we called them records. Specifically either an album or a 45.

8 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Specifically either an album or a 45.

Wait,  You left out cylinders and 78s!🤣

Back in 78 selling times, the album was those book looking holders of ~4 or more 78s.😉 Hence the name "album" like in photo album. When all those songs could fit on a 33 1/3 RPM record, that became the album selling method. 

For Whatever It is Worth? I have over two thousand 78s, ranging from 1902 into the early 1930s. Most are from the 1920s, popular  Roaring '20s style jazz, a lot of Vaudeville comedy routines, parody songs, and story songs. I do like the 1910s era music also. The really early stuff is fairly rare, but not terribly valuable. Some of it is quite interesting. I have two sequential record numbers for early Victor Records. One is a faithful rendition of the old popular favorite "In the Shade of the Old Apple Tree" (I don't offhand remember who sang it?). The subsequent number Victor Record is a parody song "On the Limb of the Old Apple Tree", sung by one of the most popular recording artists of all time, Billy Murray. The song involves the goings-on up in the apple tree with the girl next door!

About forty years ago, I dubbed hundreds of songs onto a couple dozen cassette tapes, for simply listening to. They still sound fine, and I still listen to them! The 1917 Victrola is in the den, with a Jimmie Rodgers 78 on it! I also like early country/Western.

Never really collected 'vinyl'. However, I probably have twenty to thirty LPs, and about fifty 45s. About half the LPs are classical, with a mixture of '60s/'70s pop and a few other things (including Harry Belafonte)

I do like listening to music!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I've got a six foot long shelf of LP Records I hope to sell. Do people buy them for the artwork on the cover or actually play the things? 

Bob 

That's a good question. The problem I found out with popular records is that they sold a lot them so there are a lot of them out there. Hey you never know. As I am responding to this thread I just saw an ad on TV someone was googling the best speakers to listen to vinyl records on, so you never know. I always loved to read the liner notes.

Like I said, I never really collected vinyl, LPs or otherwise. However, as a collector of so many other things, and having known and spoken with a few vinyl collectors? The complete package, along with very good to excellent condition is what is usually most important! Therefore, the cover art, whatever notes, etc are important along with a very nice record. 

SHH! Don't say anything. But I just bought three LPs for my wife for Christmas. She had read something on the internet, and expressed a strong desire to have certain music on its original vinyl recordings (we already had the music on CD rereleases!). We already have a good record player. I checked a few websites, and looked at what ebay had to offer. I read what Wikipedia had on the records and their place in recording history, and made some notes. Then I went to a local record store I have been to a few times before, and found three of the four she wanted complete with jackets in fair to good condition. The records themselves look almost perfect! I know I paid a bit much for them. But I much prefer to hold the records and look them over closely myself before I buy them.  I just hope she still wants them a month from now?

Being able to buy used records in person is great. We are lucky to have Plan 9 Records is in Charlottesville and Richmond, not real close, but close enough for a shopping trip. I've even bought 78s from the Richmond store.

I wouldn't say I collected vinyl either, just bought records I wanted to listen to!😉  Same reason I buy cylinders and 78s.👍

I like old radio shows also, especially mysteries. Now podcasting is in, it's like going back 60 to 80 years to network radio shows. Everything old is new again.....

On 11/24/2021 at 8:10 AM, Walt G said:

I no longer listen to a car radio, except if I can find a station with weather or road /traffic conditions. Even on my 1940 Buick - radio works great but there is nothing to listen to. It has been some time since I used my cars but if I want music I take along a CD player with some music of the era of the cars I own/drive. Traditional jazz music is what got me into the old ( pre WWII) cars as a youngster, I liked the music and when I realized what cars were, they suited me as well. Austin Clark and I would frequently make trips into NY City to Jimmy Ryan's jazz club when it was on W. 54th street to listen to jazz in person. I gave them a postcard of my 41 Packard woody and it went on the mirror at the bar and stayed there until the place closed forever. I am not a record collector although I do have a collection of 78 rpm  records. Got tired of playing one at a time on a hand cranked phonograph so bought and restored a record player that could hold more then one record ( 78 rpm of course) and that was 40 years ago. The machine I restored still works ( probably better then I do now) took me about 6 months to restore, and is electric powered not hand crank. It was made by the Wurlitzer Company in 1938. You think restoring a car from that era is interesting !!!......but it is mostly mechanical and clatters wonderfully when selection of a record is made to pick the one chosen after you feed it a nickel to play it ( yes it does have a free play button too). Has a volume switch too - if at half level capacity it rattles the windows in the house - next door!  Not all pre war music - one or two 78 records on there by Fats Domino too. One of my favorite records on there is by Dooley Wilson - As time goes by.

SO you thought I was perhaps a bit odd/different  before reading this , well now ............................

JUKEBOX1938 one.jpg

If I don't think Herman Hupfield is a bit odd, why should I think you would be? A lot of good stuff from the 30's. Nice Work if You Can Get it😉

• Thanks 1

I have always enjoyed to listen music in my old cars. Considering most of them are 1920s cars with 6v electric system, I installed hidden motorcycle type audio systems. They are small, prepared for noisy environment, so they work very well. The speakers are hidden under the dashboard. I had to buy small voltage step up transformers to make them work, once they are 12v. 
I have some USB pen drives with roaring twenties music, that make my rides very “period correct”. Now I am using a bluetooth USB pendrive in the audio system, so I can connect to Spotify and find a large variety of albums and even old radio programs. 
My 1951 Plymouth has the same type of hidden modern audio system, besides the fact its original AM tubes radio is still working, but unfortunately with limited radio station options. Anyway, those old tube radios are heavy drains of battery!
JRA

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 1