What's a " big slip daddy"?

Buick35

I'm not a Californian, but I can tackle that. Here in Washington, plates used to be replaced every 1-3 years until 1963. That year all plates were replaced with a 3 letter 3 number plate that said "Wash 63" on it. New cars got it 1963-65, but all the old ones did too. After that, you didn't have to change them unless they were damaged. Few did. The upshot was that the same cars carried the same number for ages. It was true for a couple of newer style Washington plates as well. One could recognize a car by it's number as it fell through time, much like you still can in the UK.

A Wash 63 plate also implied some sort of tie to the past, and that not much had changed over the years, possibly an unmolested car, sort of like "matching numbers", back before the term was abused and became meaningless. It also told you what county the car was in when it got the plates. Of course older cars were already older when they got the Wash 63 plates, but it was still part of the car's history, and allowed you to recognize a specific car. For decades almost every pre-January 1966 car had them. They are more recognizable by far than YOM plates because they were around so long and they are the ones everybody remembers. They show up in period pictures a lot. You might see YOUR car in some street scene...

I hated to see that era pass. After 2000 or so it became impossible to tag them anymore. I believe you can STILL tag the black and yellow plates in California. Good on them if so.

I think you can also for a fee get a modern black/yellow plate for your modern car in California. I'm not sure what that's about as there is no history involved, but it is a good looking license plate.

0.jpg

Californiablackplate_1000.jpg

Nimoy-Rex.jpg?width=982&height=726&auto=

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

So- California and Washington state registered the plate to the car instead of the owner, correct?

Virginia and North Carolina issued new plates to the owner every year, alternating color schemes. As in thru 1972 odd years VA plates were black numbers on white background and reversed for even numbered years. NC used orange and black the same way.

But I never heard "big slip daddy" used here in the Mid Atlantic. There were no "pink slips" here either. Registration was a small pale yellow card till VADMV computerized in the 60s, then it was a white IBM card. Last few years it's been a printout on standard printer paper.

• Like 2

Yes, plates were registered to the car in WA, CA, and I suspect all western states.

I hesitate to even jump in about "big slip daddy" except to say that it confused me when I was a kid. I was fairly in tune to car culture back then (70s), and I have never heard anyone say "big slip daddy" before or since. Since he is enumerating the features of the car (competition clutch, four on the floor, lake pipes, etc.) I wondered if it could mean a limited slip rear axle. I could find no one who had ever heard a limited slip axle called a "big slip daddy".

On the other hand "pink slip" for a title and "racing for pinks" was well understood slang up here in Washington that everybody knew, even though Washington titles (proof of ownership) were green, and the pink piece of paper was only a registration that meant nothing other than that you had paid your fees. It was just understood that they were probably pink somewhere else, or maybe pink back in 1963. I kept picking the needle up and putting it back to see if I could make "pink slip, daddy" out of it, because that would sort of make sense. I couldn't. It sounds like "big slip daddy" to me. Also, why would anyone be carrying a note on a 32 Ford in 1963? Of course he had the title.

We may never know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

When you guys finish sorting out the whole "Pink Slip" business, maybe one of you Californians can explain the significance of having a "Black Plate". BTW, Eddie Cochran was from Albert Lea, MN.

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Sure Huds,  it just means that the car has been registeted in California since the 1960's when bkack plates were offered.  They changed to blue fir 1970.

The plates usually stay with the car. So as @GregLaR notes it means the car has been continuously registered in California since the 1960s.

If I recall correctly, the change to yellow on blue was 1968 as I recall seeing that on my grandfather’s Dodge when it was new.

My '82 had the same yellow on blue but my '91 had the current color (but not detailed design) scheme, so they changed out that color sometime in those 9 years.

Recently they have started issuing black plates as an extra cost vanity option so you see a fair number of new cars with them.

55 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

So- California and Washington state registered the plate to the car instead of the owner, correct?

Virginia and North Carolina issued new plates to the owner every year, alternating color schemes. As in thru 1972 odd years VA plates were black numbers on white background and reversed for even numbered years. NC used orange and black the same way.

But I never heard "big slip daddy" used here in the Mid Atlantic. There were no "pink slips" here either. Registration was a small pale yellow card till VADMV computerized in the 60s, then it was a white IBM card. Last few years it's been a printout on standard printer paper.

Yes, the plates generally stay with the car. The '63 truck I bought in the blue & yellow era still had the black plates on it. Exceptions are if it is a vanity plate that the prior owner wants to keep and maybe some other edge cases.

Prior to 1963 California had been replacing all plates every couple of years. So the 1961 & 62 cars would have originally had a yellow plate with black lettering. In 1963 they did their last wholesale replacement of all plates for all cars.

California registration slips have been white pieces of paper for as long as I know about them. The “pink slip” was the certificate of ownership, the equivalent of the title back then. And, for that matter, still for cars that haven’t changed ownership since the early 1990s. If I recall correctly my 2004 had a title form. I know my 1982 had a pink slip. I can’t remember about the 1992, might still have been a pink slip.

• Like 1

This entire big slip daddy routine gives me the runs. It only takes a minute to find the lyrics on line. at least half  a dozen sites clearly say, "pink slip daddy". Until only recently i never heard of a "big slip daddy". In the 60s we called hem "Posis", not some silly made up term from a misheard lyric. This was SoCal surf, car culture music, not opera. Brian Wilson and the boys probably sat around, smoking some weed and tried to find words and phrases that fit and sounded cool. They weren't hot rodders or surfers, just musicians trying to sell their product Yes, a pink slip is what we Californians call the title, ironically enough because it is pink. Black plates, yellow plates don't mean dick. Just a made up status symbol like YOM plates. Excuse me while I kiss this guy

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

"Big Slip" if it is correct would refer to the differential torque needed to make it slip. A worn lsd would slip at a low torque. Higher torque be better for racing. I'd take Big Slip to mean "High Torque" to slip.

My quick search for history on limited slip differentials suggested that they became popular in the mid 1960s. My vague recollection from that era was that “Posi-Traction” or simply “posi” was more often used than anything with “slip” for limited slip differentials. But I wasn’t really into that scene and it could be the people I knew were GM centric.

The Beach Boys song was published in 1963, before the references I found for limited slip differentials said they became popular. So it is unclear to me if the timeline allows for a reference to “big slip”.

Anyone got a good reference? Or better yet was actually part of the SoCal street racing scene back then who remembers that type of thing.

3 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Sure Huds,  it just means that the car has been registeted in California since the 1960's when bkack plates were offered.  They changed to blue fir 1970.

In 1963 we had to turn in our yellow plates with black letters on our 59 Catalina for the new black plates with yellow letters.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ply33 said:

My quick search for history on limited slip differentials suggested that they became popular in the mid 1960s. My vague recollection from that era was that “Posi-Traction” or simply “posi” was more often used than anything with “slip” for limited slip differentials. But I wasn’t really into that scene and it could be the people I knew were GM centric.

The Beach Boys song was published in 1963, before the references I found for limited slip differentials said they became popular. So it is unclear to me if the timeline allows for a reference to “big slip”.

Anyone got a good reference? Or better yet was actually part of the SoCal street racing scene back then who remembers that type of thing.

When my Dad ordered our 59 Pontiac Catalina for street / strip - to be run in "A" stock the car came with a 3.08 Safe-T Track for the street and a 3.90 & 4.10 Safe-T Tracks in boxes in the trunk. for drag racing. In 1957 my uncle ordered a Super 88 J-2 Olds with positraction, and in 1956 my other uncle ordered a Safe-T Track in his 1956 factory dual quad Pontiac Colony 2 dr. wagon.

We were very much in that whole scene. I got my drag racing license at the age of 14 racing that 59 Catalina. 

LIONS DRAG STRIP VINYL STICKER A1426

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

54 minutes ago, CarlLaFong said:

This entire big slip daddy routine gives me the runs. It only takes a minute to find the lyrics on line. at least half  a dozen sites clearly say, "pink slip daddy". Until only recently i never heard of a "big slip daddy". In the 60s we called hem "Posis", not some silly made up term from a misheard lyric. This was SoCal surf, car culture music, not opera. Brian Wilson and the boys probably sat around, smoking some weed and tried to find words and phrases that fit and sounded cool. They weren't hot rodders or surfers, just musicians trying to sell their product Yes, a pink slip is what we Californians call the title, ironically enough because it is pink. Black plates, yellow plates don't mean dick. Just a made up status symbol like YOM plates. Excuse me while I kiss this guy

Ever hear the Stones sing "Satisfaction" in concert, or Led Zepplin sing the Lemon song in concert?🙉

• Like 1

Nobody ever called a limited slip differential a "big slip daddy." Nobody. Ever. If any car guy pointed at an axle and said to his buddies, "Hey guys! Check out that big slip daddy!" I'm quite sure he would have promptly had his butt kicked and told to get on his tricycle and pedal home.

Personally, I probably would have kicked his father's butt, too, just for making such a loser kid who said embarrassingly stupid things.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 11/11/2021 at 2:52 PM, JamesR said:

I dislike the term "pink slip" in this context because in my state the only actual pink slip the DMV gives you is a registration, which can't transfer ownership. The term isn't universal, so to me it's confusing. The only term I dislike more in ads is "paperwork." What does that mean??

song pre dates titles in most states

The only new car my parent's ever bought, was a 1968 Chevrolet station wagon, low end trim, six cylinder, three speed on the column, and a limited slip differential! My dad used it as a work and service car, often needing to go into mountainous areas, in winter, mud, snow, ice. He could get that car into places most people with four-wheel drive couldn't get to! And he taught me.

However, where I live now? I do like my four-wheel drive!

We just got a new-to-us 2006 Jeep. I hope I never get anything newer. But I wanted to say that the "pink slip" for the new purchase just came in the mail. And in Califunny? It is still mostly pink, although fancier difficult to fake than they were many years ago, but basically how they have been for a decade or two now.

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

When my Dad ordered our 59 Pontiac Catalina for street / strip - to be run in "A" stock the car came with a 3.08 Safety Track for the street and a 3.90 & 4.10 Safety Tracks in boxes in the trunk. for drag racing. In 1957 my uncle ordered a Super 88 J-2 Olds with positraction, and in 1956 my other uncle ordered a Safety Track in his 1956 factory dual quad Pontiac Colony 2 dr. wagon.

We were very much in that whole scene. I got my drag racing license at the age of 14 racing that 59 Catalina. 

LIONS DRAG STRIP VINYL STICKER A1426

So did you call it "Safety Track", "posi", "big slip", or something else way back when?

57 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Nobody ever called a limited slip differential a "big slip daddy." Nobody. Ever. If any car guy pointed at an axle and said to his buddies, "Hey guys! Check out that big slip daddy!" I'm quite sure he would have promptly had his butt kicked and told to get on his tricycle and pedal home.

Personally, I probably would have kicked his father's butt, too, just for making such a loser kid who said embarrassingly stupid things.

Which brings to mind "Little GTO". If anyone in my town called a GTO or any Pontiac a "PonPon" would have been pantsed and left on the side of the road. PonPon?!?!?!?!? Seriously??

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Bloo said:

Yes, plates were registered to the car in WA, CA, and I suspect all western states.

I hesitate to even jump in about "big slip daddy" except to say that it confused me when I was a kid. I was fairly in tune to car culture back then (70s), and I have never heard anyone say "big slip daddy" before or since. Since he is enumerating the features of the car (competition clutch, four on the floor, lake pipes, etc.) I wondered if it could mean a limited slip rear axle. I could find no one who had ever heard a limited slip axle called a "big slip daddy".

On the other hand "pink slip" for a title and "racing for pinks" was well understood slang up here in Washington that everybody knew, even though Washington titles (proof of ownership) were green, and the pink piece of paper was only a registration that meant nothing other than that you had paid your fees. It was just understood that they were probably pink somewhere else, or maybe pink back in 1963. I kept picking the needle up and putting it back to see if I could make "pink slip, daddy" out of it, because that would sort of make sense. I couldn't. It sounds like "big slip daddy" to me. Also, why would anyone be carrying a note on a 32 Ford in 1963? Of course he had the title.

We may never know.

Here in Idaho plates stay with the owner. When you sell the car you have to take them off. I agree that "big slip daddy" makes no sense, why would something that limits wheel slipping be called a "big slip"? Seems to me like "pink slip" makes a lot more sense, being that it's an established slang term at least in the west.

5 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Were the official lyrics published when the song was released?

I tried to find a photo of original sheet music or a lyrics sheet off an album or something, but it doesn't look like there's one on the internet.

• Like 2

Well, even in New York back in the 1980s, we knew what "pink slip" meant, way across the country and despite the fact that we had no such thing. There was still occasional talk of "racing for pinks", though the paperwork involved titles, and they were brown. 

"Big slip daddy" sounds like a classic case of some square wannabe screwing up his chance to show off in front of guys who actually knew the lingo. No go, daddy-O. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kimo from Kaunakakai Hawaii, Ca
"Pink slip" versus "The Big Slip Daddy" - Hate to burst your collective bubbles, but I was a neighborhood friend of Dave Marks in Inglewood, CA and I helped him learn the lyrics to LDC for the single and the album. Sorry, it's "Big Slip Daddy", folks. The song is enumerating hot car equipment of the day in this stanza. A "Big Slip Daddy" is street rod talk for the optional and prized Chevy/Corvette/Mopar limited slip differential rear end on the rear axle. A high performance option that meant a fast street rod capable of an even-tire burnout.

Factual and short & sweet. At your assistance.

PS: "Pink slip, Daddy" makes no sense at this point in the lyrics, Daddy.

There were 3 types in those days, Eaton used a multiple-disc clutch like an automatic transmission (that is probably a disc for an Eaton type). The Auburn type used cone clutches, and then there was the Detroit Locker that used dog engagement similar to that used for the gears in a racing transmission. Detroit Lockers were very harsh, but were factory equipment in some high performance Fords. In all 3 types, torque engaged the clutch(es) and locked the axles together.

There are a bunch more types now, Torsen, Quaife, etc.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

"Pink slip" versus "The Big Slip Daddy" - Hate to burst your collective bubbles, but I was a neighborhood friend of Dave Marks in Inglewood, CA and I helped him learn the lyrics to LDC for the single and the album. Sorry, it's "Big Slip Daddy", folks. The song is enumerating hot car equipment of the day in this stanza. A "Big Slip Daddy" is street rod talk for the optional and prized Chevy/Corvette/Mopar limited slip differential rear end on the rear axle. A high performance option that meant a fast street rod capable of an even-tire burnout.

Absolute and utter nonsense.

Kraig Scott, of Pro Gear, specializes in rear end and differential work.

I will email this guy. He included it in his tech article.

Kraig Scott, of Pro Gear, specializes in rear end and differential work.(J. Daniel Jones)
Rear end and differential service by Pro Gear

Kraig Scott

7948 Ronson Road

San Diego, CA 92111

(858) 571-1158

progear7948@yahoo.com

"The limited-slip differential, with brand names such as Positraction, Sure Grip, Anti-Spin or Safe-T-Track, was an essential weapon in the muscle-car wars of the 1960s."

11 hours ago, mike6024 said:

No bublles burst here. You are 100% wrong. Maybe you and Dave can look up the lyrics. Google is your friend. I first heard LDC in 1963 and the lyrics were clear as a bell then as they are now and they make perfect sense. "I own this car" Baby, Daddy , Daddio, Dude. It's all old SoCal slang that I heard all my life, except for the alleged Big Slip. Now that makes no sense at even the most remedial level People from Podunk shouldn't apply their local vernacular to the California scene of the 50s and 60s, it doesn't mesh. In CA all motor vehicles are titled and the paper is pink. Don't like it? tough, stay on the farm  with your shorts, whips and kemps

Unfortunately, Google isn't always a friend when it comes to accuracy. The following link will take you to a page with a drop down which claims that a "pink slip" is a safety inspection report:

little deuce coupe lyrics - Google Search

What is pink slip?

A Pink Slip is a safety inspection report issued by an authorised inspection station (e.g. garage) to prove that a vehicle has passed the required roadworthy standards for registration. Vehicles more than five (5) years old require a safety inspection as a condition of registration renewal.

16 hours ago, ply33 said:

So did you call it "Safety- T- Track", "posi", "big slip", or something else way back when?

When I order parts, back in those days or today for my Pontiacs rear axels and third members I always use the term Safety-T- Track, that also goes if I'm around Pontiac people or just limited slip or posi. My Grandfather would say;  Differential mit begrenztem Schlupf 

16 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

Which brings to mind "Little GTO". If anyone in my town called a GTO or any Pontiac a "PonPon" would have been pantsed and left on the side of the road. PonPon?!?!?!?!? Seriously??

The song you are referring to is called "GTO" not Lil GTO, probably how Pink Slip Daddy got taken as Big Slip Daddy or vise versa.

image.jpeg.0ef2663cfda614a5dbe39fa7d711627f.jpeg

• Like 1

Interesting , just did the lyrics for the beach Boys "Shut Down"

It happened on the strip where the road is wide
(Ooh, rev it up now)
Two cool shorts standin' side by side
(Ooh, rev it up now)
Yeah, my fuel injected Stingray and a four-thirteen
(Ooh, rev it up now)
Revvin' up our engines and it sounds real mean
(Ooh, rev it up now)
Tach it up, tach it up, tach it up
Buddy gonna shut you down
Declinin' numbers at an even rate
(Ooh, rev it up now)
At the count of one we both accelerate
(Ooh, rev it up now)
My Stingray is light the slicks are startin' to spin
(Ooh, rev it up now)
But the four-thirteen's really diggin' in
(Ooh, rev it up now)
Gotta be cool now power shift here we go
Superstock Dodge is windin' out and low
But my fuel injected Stingray's really startin' to go
To get the traction I'm ridin' the clutch
My pressure plate's burnin' that machine's too much
Pedal's to the floor hear the dual quads drink
(Ooh, rev it up now)
And now the four-thirteen's lead is startin' to shrink
(Ooh, rev it up now)
He's hot with ram induction but it's understood
(Ooh, rev it up now)
I got a fuel injected engine sittin' under my hood
(Ooh, rev it up now)

Buddy going to shut you down

[Verse 1]
It happened on the strip where the road is wide
(Oooo rev it up now)
Two cool shorts standing side by side
(Oooo rev it up now)
Yeah, my fuel injected Stingray and a four-thirteen
(Oooo rev it up now)
Revving up our engines and it sounds real mean
(Oooo rev it up now)

[Chorus]
Tach it up, tach it up
Buddy going to shut you down

[Verse 2]
Declining numbers at an even rate
(Oooo moving out now)
At the count of one we both accelerate
(Oooo moving out now)
My Stingray is light the slicks are starting to spin
(Oooo moving out now)
But the four-thirteen's really digging in
(Oooo moving out now)
Got to be cool now, power shift - here we go

[Bridge]
Superstock Dart is winding out in low
But my fuel injected Stingray's really starting to go
To get the traction I'm riding the clutch
My pressure plate's burning that machine's too much

[Verse 3]
Pedal's to the floor hear the dual quads drink
(Oooo pump it up now)
And now the four-thirteen's lead is starting to shrink
(Oooo pump it up now)
He's hot with ram induction but it's understood
(Oooo pump it up now)
I got a fuel injected engine sitting under my hood
(Oooo pump it up now)

OK guys which source is the right one?  One says Dart and one says Dodge???

59 minutes ago, CarlLaFong said:

I first heard LDC in 1963 and the lyrics were clear as a bell then as they are now and they make perfect sense. 

Downunder here in Oz, I heard the same lyrics back in '63. At first didn't know what the reference was to a pink slip but reading Hot Rod magazines soon clued me in  to the meaning.

The song was written by Roger Christian in collaboration with Brian Wilson. Supposedly Roger Christian was the car enthusiast responsible for the details.

The car pictured on the cover of the album was inspiration, but doesn't match up with the description.

The car was written up in the July 1961 Hot Rod magazine. It just says the rear end is a 1955 Oldsmobile. Says nothing about being an lsd, definitely doesn't say "Big Slip."

Screenshot (1289).png

Screenshot (1290).png

Screenshot (1291).png

On 11/12/2021 at 2:06 PM, mike6024 said:

What does Big Slip Daddy mean?
“A 'big slip daddy' is street rod talk for the optional and prized Chevy/Corvette/Mopar limited slip differential rear end on the rear axle. A high performance option that meant a fast street rod capable of an even-tire burnout.”

Screenshot (1287).png

Oh, well, if it's on the INTERWEBS then... 🤣