What's a " big slip daddy"?

Buick35

1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

The song was written by Roger Christian in collaboration with Brian Wilson. Supposedly Roger Christian was the car enthusiast responsible for the details.

The car pictured on the cover of the album was inspiration, but doesn't match up with the description.

The car was written up in the July 1961 Hot Rod magazine. It just says the rear end is a 1955 Oldsmobile. Says nothing about being an lsd, definitely doesn't say "Big Slip."

Screenshot (1289).png

Screenshot (1290).png

Screenshot (1291).png

The car in the lyrics was a flathead ford which doesn't jive with the album cover.

14 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Kimo from Kaunakakai Hawaii, Ca
"Pink slip" versus "The Big Slip Daddy" - Hate to burst your collective bubbles, but I was a neighborhood friend of Dave Marks in Inglewood, CA and I helped him learn the lyrics to LDC for the single and the album. Sorry, it's "Big Slip Daddy", folks. The song is enumerating hot car equipment of the day in this stanza. A "Big Slip Daddy" is street rod talk for the optional and prized Chevy/Corvette/Mopar limited slip differential rear end on the rear axle. A high performance option that meant a fast street rod capable of an even-tire burnout.

Factual and short & sweet. At your assistance.

PS: "Pink slip, Daddy" makes no sense at this point in the lyrics, Daddy.

The hot ticket or Chevy guys ( because they were always breaking rear ends ) was using the 1957 Pontiac/ Olds 9.3" complete assy as it's a bolt in and doesn't need to be narrowed. You can use a complete 58 coil spring Pontiac in a 58 coil spring Chevy ( Olds was still leaf). The Pumpkin ( more hot rodder language ) or third member was used by Olds and Pontiac in the "B" body cars till 1964. I narrowed a 60 Pontiac 9.3 for my 64 Tempest funny car and no problem at over 1000HP. Late 50's to early 60's dragsters used the Pontiac/Olds units too.   

On 11/12/2021 at 11:27 AM, 8E45E said:

Oh crap.

Now its "Big Slicks Daddy"? as per the above link?

Pretty sure I have looked at more than three maybe five lyric sites that refer to the certificate of ownership. Not tires, not gears, not even big pink bitches.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Now to go to the next step we are really going to confuse future generations with our lingo. Take the word bitchen for example. This car is real bitchen or Peggy Sue quit bitchen at me or referring to Peggy Sue as your bitch. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Probably the earliest car song from the rock and roll era was this one. Some people even call it the first rock and roll record, but I won't get into that debate 😄. It's a pretty cool song that was recorded by a group that Ike Turner was in. Car makers had to love it when people were inspired enough to write popular songs about their products. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mike6024 said:

The song was written by Roger Christian in collaboration with Brian Wilson. Supposedly Roger Christian was the car enthusiast responsible for the details.

The car pictured on the cover of the album was inspiration, but doesn't match up with the description.

The car was written up in the July 1961 Hot Rod magazine. It just says the rear end is a 1955 Oldsmobile. Says nothing about being an lsd, definitely doesn't say "Big Slip."

Screenshot (1289).png

Screenshot (1290).png

Screenshot (1291).png

Strangest looking "Flathead mill" I've ever seen!

13 hours ago, JamesR said:

Probably the earliest car song from the rock and roll era was this one. Some people even call it the first rock and roll record, but I won't get into that debate 😄. It's a pretty cool song that was recorded by a group that Ike Turner was in. Car makers had to love it when people were inspired enough to write popular songs about their products. 

Interesting, that song is a blues song ( you can look it up), however it sounds more like Boogie Woogie.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I basically agree. I've been aware of that song for many years, but I didn't really think of it as rock and roll that much. I think of the earliest rock and roll records as more in the vein of rockabilly - kind of a combination of blues and country. The country element (IMO) gave those songs kind of a bounce that straight blues stuff didn't have. E.G., Bill Haley or Chuck Berry.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

17 hours ago, JamesR said:

A bit of record drift. Not rock-n-roll by a longshot! I have an original 78 rpm record of "The Graham Paige March"! It was actually produced and sold by the Graham brothers after their purchase of Paige Detroit in 1927. I believe the record was first released in 1928 according to some history I found on the internet about twenty years ago.

Of course, there were earlier songs even, "On the Old Back Seat of the Henry Ford" was very popular, as was "In My Merry Oldsmobile". Which was one of my grandmother's favorite songs. It goes back far enough that I have even seen an early cylinder recording of that one!

There were of course dozens of others, many about Ford's model T or model A. Although other marques got in several times (one I heard about driving a Stutz Bearcat!).

Just more fun automotive history stuff!

• Like 1