How’s this for “patina”?

76 Caddy

47 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Someone want to explain the total dumbness of the red wheels? EPA banned black paint? F76919C4-D0A5-48C7-A982-A48BCDDD776D.jpe

The owner may have gotten them from another car to get it to roll after sitting in a "barn".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

The "Barn Find Hunter" found this wagon, it had surface rust on the roof, and he saved the patina by putting a clear coat over the rust. The roof only. The paint on the sides was original, saved, buffed out, and that probably got a clear coat to.

This is not the first time I've heard of people saving rust by putting a clear coat on it. it's just that i have my doubts about how well that clear over rust adheres, and how long it lasts.

I do like his show by the way.

Tom Of Barn Find Hunter Restores A Junkyard Country Sedan | Motorious

The original plan was to paint the roof its original white, but when the students sanded off the surface rust, they came to a conclusion: the top should be clear coated, not painted. Cross, Phillips, and I looked at each other and concluded, what the heck, it’s not a restoration—it’s a car to be used by college students, not old farts like us. Let’s clear coat it!

Dalton said standard clear coat would be too shiny over the thin rusty surface that remained on the roof, so using an old customizer’s trick from the 1950s, he mixed in a few tablespoons of cornstarch. And he began to spray.

The result was beautiful. The roof had an almost leather-like finish, with just the right amount of shine. Perfect for our Midland hot rod.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/videos/thanks-to-a-shop-rag-this-1960-ford-country-sedan-was-reborn/

Some folks should be prohibited, by law, from wearing shorts in public..........Bob

• Haha 2

Yes, red wheels on Buicks are very common. With wheelcovers you just see the red rim. This Caddy does not need to paint the wheels black, just snap on some proper wheelcovers!👍

And replace the windshield halves......😡

13 hours ago, rocketraider said:

If the rest of the brightwork is as good as the front, that Callackalack is begging for a proper restoration! You can see it in its eyes...

I know Buick used red as an accent on wheels combined with full wheelcovers and generally wide whites. Did anyone else? 

Packard offered French Red wheels on their 1948 Convertibles with either Packard Ivory or French Blue body colors.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Well, as long as deterioration is considered "patina,"

then this car has even more of that desirable quality!

Smashed Cadillac

Forum rules state:

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this forum.

• Like 1

I am redoing the mechanicals on a 47 Crosley Pickup. I want to leave most of the body condition alone, not because it has original paint. It was repainted probably in the early 60s and has a deceased very good friend's farm logo is on the doors. I was chosen by his daughter to own this truck and I don't want to change it visually significantly from the way her father showed the truck. The one thing that bugs me is it has black wheels instead of red. If I painted the wheels it would have a similar effect to the Buick when shown, so don't want to do that. Been looking into how they can be painted red but look like it was done 70+ years ago. My other approach is to find some original wheels that have never been repainted or leave them black. I need to look through my wheel collection, I think I may have one or two with original paint.